View Poll Results: If You Dont Have A Pre/Veer, Do You Hope This Feature Still Works For Other Phones?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 50.00%
  • No

7 11.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Pre/Future Pre

19 31.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Veer/Future Veer

4 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just thought of something.. and could honestly be a HUGE deal breaker for me, but probably not alot of you.. But um..

The HP Touch Pad is supposed to be able to sync via bluetooth with your "phone" and be able to answer calls and send/receive text messages. BUT, so far, all we've seen is the Touch Pad doing this with a PRE.

So, does is the Touch Pad capable of doing these functions with ANY phone, or ONLY the new HP phones? Because to be honest, I was originally going to get both the Touch Pad and a Pre 3, but with the Pre 3 releasing SOOO freaking far away, I've pretty much decided to not even care about it anymore, and am instead going for the HTC Evo 3D, but still getting the Touch Pad since its being released along the same timeline as the Evo 3D.

BUT if the Touch Pad can not do its Call/Txt "trick", then I may as well just simply give up on it as well, for that was one of the main reasons i was wanting the Touch Pad to begin with: the ability to be doing anything I want on the Touch Pad, and not have to constantly be picking up my phone every time a call or text message arrives.

Any one know if it'd be able to or not? PLEASE let me know? I would assume that it could do it considering its all being done over Bluetooth, but like many companies, they very well could have "locked" that function to force customers to have to get a Pre/Veer to be able to take advantage of that kind of perk.
    Last edited by master620; 05/29/2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    You are asking too much. That's lile apple saying we made our ipad sync with android phones.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I think you will find that the veer is a good match for the touchpad too and that's out now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Yea, I know the Veer is pretty good, but i just don't its size or the feel of it compared to my Pre. I've had my Sprint Pre since the day it was released, and its just now starting to fail on me (keyboard is no longer recognizing button presses half the time). So I was looking into getting the Pre 3, but honestly dont see much reason to get another phone that is essentially the exact same thing that i have now, except with a faster processor, and a software update that pretty much everyone else on different service providers already currently have.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Understood master620. The Pre3 is expected pretty darn soon depending on who you talk to. I'd say get the touchpad b/c it has the raw power and headroom that can be taken advantage of with webOS (plus it looks like HP is really going to go gangbusters with support when it's released). Get your EVO when you can't stand your pre, and I expect the Pre3 to be released in that 30 day window. If you pick up your EVO mid June, Pre3 mid July is probably a reasonable bet. Which carrier is a different issue.

EDIT: I see you are on Sprint. I did read here that Sprint is testing the Pre3 (according to an email someone saw on a Sprint employee's EVO) but I honestly expect it to come out on VZ first or VZ att first so you may indeed wait a while longer for Sprint Pre3. I personally am not wedded to Sprint so I'd rather jump for the Pre3 but that's me.

sorry about the wall of text
  6.    #6  
    oh no its perfectly fine (the wall of text lol) cause my posts/replies are rather lengthy as well haha.

but yea, i'm pretty sure i'm going to be getting the Touch Pad because I REALLY love webos, its almost near perfect in many ways. real multitasking and ease of use. only things i dont like about it is the lack of support for messengers, and the lack of quality apps of which i could actually use on a daily basis lol. but with the Touch Pad, i would mainly be using it to browse the web when not at home, read books, play some games, watch movies/look at pics, and chat with friends on various apps/whatevers lol.

i wanted the Evo 3D cause my lil brother has the Evo 4G and its pretty amazing. and i've been wanting to try out something new for a while, so i figured i'd give it a chance. but yea like you said, ther is always that 30 day window XD
    honestly, I just want this to work with my Pre-. If it does that I'll be happy for a while, then I'll get a Pre3
    Calling and texting shouldn't be connected to TTS... I'm pretty sure this is covered in another thread... I'll see if I can find it.
  9.    #9  
    Yea i know what you mean dcbo89. The Touch Pad will probably come out before the Evo 3D, so while i wait and decide on whether or not to get it, i'll be using my Pre-.

Cantaffordit if there is one please gimme a link? XD i've been looking all over the threads for such a topic, and couldn't find one, so i figured i'd make one.

I'm even alil surprised that the article writers for PreCentral haven't included such information in any of their Touch Pad articles.
    Yep:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-touchpad.html

TTS is for pushing web pages (and hopefully apps) from one device to another. The features the OP is asking about aren't part of TTS, as far as I can tell.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks Cantaffordit =D

But yea, I wasn't exactly talking about the whole TTS thing, just simply the sending and receiving of text messages/phone calls with a Touch Pad paired to a device other than a Pre or Veer.

But again, Thanks Cantaffordit!
    It would have been cool if The TouchPad could do that.That would def propell it past the ipad. But I don't think that will happen because they want to sell webOS devices,not just TouchPads.
  13.    #13  
    exactly.. that's my fear... I'd rather have a device that will literally do everything that i want, instead of only "letting" me do what I want if i buy their "other products" >.< hate when companies do that..
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    You are asking way too much....sometimes you cant have your cake and eat it too...specially with a OS that has pretty much 0% mkt share....why would HP do this now? THey need some mkt share 1st....I'm sure this will be std a yr from now......
    Back to your situation: the way I see it....get the EVO (sprint) and the TP (from Walmart).. within 30 days if the Pre3 is not on sprint, return the TP and get yourself an Android based Tablet to interact with your Evo.... :-) Oh wait! THere is no such product in the mkt right now..... :-)
  15.    #15  
    Lol crg28 that's my whole point, its the reason WHY I wanted the Touch Pad: No other tablet can do what it can! =D

But sadly, if it isn't capable of pairing with other phones... then it really will be a huge let down for me..
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I don't think its asking too much to have a Bluetooth stack built in that accepts other Bluetooth devices to forward alerts to the touchpad. I don't understand why everyone didn't vote yes on this. The greater the adoption rate the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    It would have been cool if The TouchPad could do that.That would def propell it past the ipad. But I don't think that will happen because they want to sell webOS devices, not just TouchPads.
    At the thinkbeyond event they told us that using the TP to call/text through the phone should work with any webOS phone because it's just bluetooth.

I doubt they could make it work with non-webOS phones, but I'm sure they will if they can... that would help them sell a TouchPad to every Blackberry/Android/iPhone user that doesn't already have an iPad... so it would be a double win for HP. But until then, you can be comforted in knowing that inter-operation with other webOS devices is what they described at the announcement. And it sounds like the TouchPad may be for sale soon, so you can drop by Walmart and pair it with your phone right in the store... I can't wait to try that.
    I'm sure HP could make this feature work with more phones if they worked at it, but why would they? they are trying to sell webOS...

not to mention the logistical issues. the way webOS handles contacts and aggregates messaging... it would mean putting a lot of extra effort and resources into making it work with other platforms, not to mention keeping up with other platforms as they change their APIs. I wouldn't put it past companies (see: Apple) to deliberately try to break the feature.

At the end of the day, it might be more trouble than its worth to go that route.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/30/2011 at 03:24 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Yea, that'd be interesting! although, my walmart never have display models cause people keep destroying them... so i doubt i'd get to 'test' anything out sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm sure HP could make this feature work with more phones if they worked at it, but why would they? they are trying to sell webOS...
    It would be in their best interest because it would help them sell webOS tablets to the zillion iPhone/Blackberry/Android users...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast