View Poll Results: If You Dont Have A Pre/Veer, Do You Hope This Feature Still Works For Other Phones?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 50.00%
  • No

7 11.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Pre/Future Pre

19 31.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Veer/Future Veer

4 6.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Also, i just realized how huge my post is!!!

SORRY GUYS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    making the touchpad receive calls like a blutooth headset is probably trivial. But maintaining the consistent webOS experience while doing so, would be a more difficult task. By having to webOS devices linked to one profile, HP is able to leverage Synergy to group messages/calls from a single person who uses multiple services in a manner that is seamless between the two devices. How would you webOS synergy handle this data from an android device? what if google changed the way the data is presented shortly after the touchpads release? there's a lot more to think about here.
    The answer is just like my phone and my GPS do today. They are responsible for gathering and managing thier own data. They only share what needs to be shared. Today I get email delivered to my Pre2, my Pre+, and my PC. Skype chatting is tied to the account so I can see a thread from the Pre2 and the PC. It doesn't matter which device I typed it on, the thread is retrieved by both. Same with email, contacts, etc. Same with how I sync Rhapsody music to 3 different MP3 players, etc. If my Garmin wants to list my call history, it just gets it from the phone. None of this is rocket science.

The hard stuff is making TTS useful. That will require that I can transfer a netflix movie while I'm watching it and have it pick up at the same spot - and do it faster than I could just launch a browser on the second device and load the movie. That will take some fancy engineering baked deep into webOS, as far as I can imagine.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The answer is just like my phone and my GPS do today. They are responsible for gathering and managing thier own data. They only share what needs to be shared. Today I get email delivered to my Pre2, my Pre+, and my PC. Skype chatting is tied to the account so I can see a thread from the Pre2 and the PC. It doesn't matter which device I typed it on, the thread is retrieved by both. Same with email, contacts, etc. Same with how I sync Rhapsody music to 3 different MP3 players, etc. If my Garmin wants to list my call history, it just gets it from the phone. None of this is rocket science.

The hard stuff is making TTS useful. That will require that I can transfer a netflix movie while I'm watching it and have it pick up at the same spot - and do it faster than I could just launch a browser on the second device and load the movie. That will take some fancy engineering baked deep into webOS, as far as I can imagine.
    amazing point with the TTS Netflix Example XD

right, but if we're talking about making the touchpad a glorified BT headset, then we aren't talking about a feature that would be unique to webOS for any respectable amount of time. To really be something special and worthwhile it would have to utilize WebOS syngery.

For example, right now, i'm using an android device. my android doesn't aggregate my messages from different accounts into a single application. my gchat conversations are separate from my texts, separate from aim, separate from skype, separate from facebook chat etc. I even have multiple separate text message conversations going on with a single person.

To do it right, HP would have to have BT hooks with each android application, then intelligently aggregate the content on the Touchpad. Your messages being tied to an account is irrelevant because the data is being pulled from the phone, not the web. Your touchpad might not even be online. Your garman sees your call history, but it doesn't see that Michelle Jones is Mscutiebaby87 and Mjones1987 unless it was specifically programmed to make that connection.

By keeping this limited to webOS devices, HP only has to worry about listening to the messaging app and the phone app. They can let the TouchPad be a dumb receiver, because webOS already did all the work on the phone.

When you talk about listening to android devices, there's a whole lot more to listen to, and its could potentially be a moving target as the different developers make changes to their apps.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/30/2011 at 09:54 PM.
  5.    #45  
    right, but if we're talking about making the touchpad a glorified BT headset, then we aren't talking about a feature that would be unique to webOS for any respectable amount of time. To really be something special and worthwhile it would have to utilize WebOS syngery.

For example, right now, i'm using an android device. my android doesn't aggregate my messages from different accounts into a single application. my gchat conversations are separate from my texts, separate from aim, separate from skype, separate from facebook chat etc. I even have multiple separate text message conversations going on with a single person.

To do it right, HP would have to have BT hooks with each android application, then intelligently aggregate the content on the Touchpad. Your messages being tied to an account is irrelevant because the data is being pulled from the phone, not the web. Your touchpad might not even be online. Your garman sees your call history, but it doesn't see that Michelle Jones is Mscutiebaby87 and Mjones1987 unless it was specifically programmed to make that connection.

By keeping this limited to webOS devices, HP only has to worry about listening to the messaging app and the phone app. They can let the TouchPad be a dumb receiver, because webOS already did all the work on the phone.

When you talk about listening to android devices, there's a whole lot more to listen to, and its could potentially be a moving target as the different developers make changes to their apps.
    we're not talking about instant messages tho, just plain and simple SMS/Voice. There is only one place where your "text messages" come from regardless of the phone you use. There is no separate app you download that changes that. Sure you can get apps that will intercept your text messages, read them aloud to you so you dont have to read them, or pops them up through the lock screen so you dont have to unlock your phone just to reply, but when you get down to it, the "SMS" is handled by the carrier, the phone itself, and the vanilla software. Regardless of the phone, SMS is handled the exact same way across all android phones, all webos phones, all iOS phones, and all Windows phones (as in, each operating system handles the messages in their own way, the same way, across every single device).

So there isn't really any need for 'fancy programs' to handle all this.

And about it being exclusive to the Touch Pad:
    It isn't exclusive anyway from what I've learned. There are already apps out for iOS that sends your SMS messages to the ipad. Granted with it you have to have wifi/cell coverage on the phone AND iPad, but still, its there and already distributed. So it wouldn't exactly be something new. Only thing exclusive about it would be the fact that it uses Bluetooth instead. And the whole GPS example just adds to my point with everything. There are ALREADY plenty of devices out there that connect to your phone via Bluetooth, that let you call over such devices, view contacts and such even. And I just recently walked into a local car stereo store with my little brother, and saw a rather impressive slide out touch screen radio that would connect via Bluetooth with your phone, and allow you to send/receive text messages... so um...... this sorta thing is already being done.. so its not exclusive to HP Touch Pad at all anymore. Maybe exclusive in the fact that its a tablet, and its using bluetooth to transfer the data with said tablet, but all in all, its not anything new apparently in relation to the technology. having it be WebOS exclusive actually seems like a rather huge detriment even more now to my eyes.

Oh and now that I'm thinking about the whole iPad thing, I believe I saw a youtube video where someone had an app on their android tablet and phone, where the tablet would receive text messages from the phone OTA, but it relied on PULL technology, so it had to constantly check every 10 ta 15 minutes (i'd assume the interval would be user specified) to see if there was any new messages. This was about a week ago that i saw it tho, so I doubt I'll be able to remember any search terms I had used to be able to find it again and post a proper link.. but I know I saw something like that somewhere on there.. REALLY wish youtube had a "history" feature!

And i can see what you mean with the contacts thing, or at least a slight bit. since all the SMS messages would be done with the phone (and same with phone calls) it would probably just be simpler if when there was a SMS message or phone call, that the phone just simply sent the contacts name (possibly even other information) with the call/txt so that it wouldn't matter if the contact was on the tablet or not. and to stop people from saying "oh that would be too difficult" or whatever, that concept is already in use, and would be the easiest thing in the world. if you have a bluetooth stereo in your car, chances are when you get a call, it flashes the number up on the display (i know mine does, and every other bluetooth stereo i've ever owned). So this kind of simple data transfer of just a few letters/numbers would almost be trivial.
    ..............And how much did it cost Garmin to add the standard bluetooth feature to my GPS so I can use it as a dialer and speakerphone for my Pre (and before that for my Centro)? Answer: $0 because it's part of bluetooth. As I said, only the txt messaging aspect is in question. The rest is already there if it supports the right profiles...................
    Actually this might not be quite true, I believe Bluetooth is licensed in modules, and lots of phone manufacturers only put in a module or two, not all of what is available.

That said, this text/Bluetooth feature was actually built into the desktop OSX 10.1 or maybe 10.2, but my recollection is it only worked well with Ericsson or Nokia
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Actually this might not be quite true, I believe Bluetooth is licensed in modules, and lots of phone manufacturers only put in a module or two, not all of what is available.

That said, this text/Bluetooth feature was actually built into the desktop OSX 10.1 or maybe 10.2, but my recollection is it only worked well with Ericsson or Nokia
    i know that Linux had something in its main repository for the transferring of text messages from a nokia phone over to the desktop itself, and allowed for sending and receiving of such data. but i never had a nokia, so i wasn't ever able to get it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by master620 View Post
    we're not talking about instant messages tho, just plain and simple SMS/Voice. There is only one place where your "text messages" come from regardless of the phone you use. There is no separate app you download that changes that. Sure you can get apps that will intercept your text messages, read them aloud to you so you dont have to read them, or pops them up through the lock screen so you dont have to unlock your phone just to reply, but when you get down to it, the "SMS" is handled by the carrier, the phone itself, and the vanilla software. Regardless of the phone, SMS is handled the exact same way across all android phones, all webos phones, all iOS phones, and all Windows phones (as in, each operating system handles the messages in their own way, the same way, across every single device).

So there isn't really any need for 'fancy programs' to handle all this.

And about it being exclusive to the Touch Pad:
    It isn't exclusive anyway from what I've learned. There are already apps out for iOS that sends your SMS messages to the ipad. Granted with it you have to have wifi/cell coverage on the phone AND iPad, but still, its there and already distributed. So it wouldn't exactly be something new. Only thing exclusive about it would be the fact that it uses Bluetooth instead. And the whole GPS example just adds to my point with everything. There are ALREADY plenty of devices out there that connect to your phone via Bluetooth, that let you call over such devices, view contacts and such even. And I just recently walked into a local car stereo store with my little brother, and saw a rather impressive slide out touch screen radio that would connect via Bluetooth with your phone, and allow you to send/receive text messages... so um...... this sorta thing is already being done.. so its not exclusive to HP Touch Pad at all anymore. Maybe exclusive in the fact that its a tablet, and its using bluetooth to transfer the data with said tablet, but all in all, its not anything new apparently in relation to the technology. having it be WebOS exclusive actually seems like a rather huge detriment even more now to my eyes.

Oh and now that I'm thinking about the whole iPad thing, I believe I saw a youtube video where someone had an app on their android tablet and phone, where the tablet would receive text messages from the phone OTA, but it relied on PULL technology, so it had to constantly check every 10 ta 15 minutes (i'd assume the interval would be user specified) to see if there was any new messages. This was about a week ago that i saw it tho, so I doubt I'll be able to remember any search terms I had used to be able to find it again and post a proper link.. but I know I saw something like that somewhere on there.. REALLY wish youtube had a "history" feature!

And i can see what you mean with the contacts thing, or at least a slight bit. since all the SMS messages would be done with the phone (and same with phone calls) it would probably just be simpler if when there was a SMS message or phone call, that the phone just simply sent the contacts name (possibly even other information) with the call/txt so that it wouldn't matter if the contact was on the tablet or not. and to stop people from saying "oh that would be too difficult" or whatever, that concept is already in use, and would be the easiest thing in the world. if you have a bluetooth stereo in your car, chances are when you get a call, it flashes the number up on the display (i know mine does, and every other bluetooth stereo i've ever owned). So this kind of simple data transfer of just a few letters/numbers would almost be trivial.
    like I said, HP could go the easy route and make the touchpad a simple device agnostic BT reciever for sms and calls, but that doesnt really leverage the platform at all and it would be trivial for competitors to duplicate it. if the want to sell this OS, then they need to make it clear to consumers what sets webOS apart. and thats synergy. otherwise they'll just keep getting their ideas "borrowed"
  9.    #49  
    like I said, HP could go the easy route and make the touchpad a simple device agnostic BT reciever for sms and calls, but that doesnt really leverage the platform at all and it would be trivial for competitors to duplicate it. if the want to sell this OS, then they need to make it clear to consumers what sets webOS apart. and thats synergy. otherwise they'll just keep getting their ideas "borrowed"
    Very true, but it would still be nice if they would make a "consumer friendly" thing XD
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I would hope to see webOS work as well with others as within its own operating system. Apple's biggest criticism is how closed it is. I believe HP should focus on making their products work seamlessly with everything. Try to have the benefits of a closed system without the cons that are associated with it.

People already have cell phones and most are locked into contracts. Many are on family plans at T-Mobile and Sprint. (making webOS phones impossible) Having a Touchpad work together with all phones will help cell webOS phones in the future. People see how connected their device is, but to go a step further and share apps, websites, and photos seamlessly between devices they will need webOS across all products.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by master620 View Post
    Very true, but it would still be nice if they would make a "consumer friendly" thing XD
    yeah I guess I can see that. and who knows maybe giving android users a taste of interoperability with sms/ voice would entice then over to webos for the full treat.
    Won't this be supported with the Pre2?
    I really want my new touch pad to talk to my iphone idc about voice I just want text!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123