View Poll Results: If You Dont Have A Pre/Veer, Do You Hope This Feature Still Works For Other Phones?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 50.00%
  • No

7 11.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Pre/Future Pre

19 31.67%
  • I'll Just Stick To Using My Veer/Future Veer

4 6.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It would be in their best interest because it would help them sell webOS tablets to the zillion iPhone/Blackberry/Android users...
    Exactly. the Touch Pad is very nice by itself, and true it could be a TOOL to sell more WebOS devices, BUT they are also wanting to SELL more devices in general, and wipe out other "competition". And to do this, you would want to sell as many devices as possible. Sure it would FORCE people to get a Pre/Veer to be able to use that feature, but many people dont have contracts that will be up by then to allow them to go out and buy a new phone for cheap. Thus meaning their sales for the actual phones would be rather low. But by allowing other phones to do this sort of informational syncing, people would literally RUSH to grab the Touch Pad.

And think about it, this is the ONLY TABLET that has this feature AT ALL! Opening that feature up to other types of phones would SKY ROCKET the sales!
    I'm pretty sure, that this is a raw bluetooth implementation (as even some cars can display your incoming sms messages, not to speak of calls...).

So I think, the possibility of this working with every bluetooth phone is at some 90%.
  3.    #23  
    I REALLY hope it'll work with all phones. It would be pretty awesome. But the problem with your point of the car situation, that is with it being paired with current phones already out, not with the Touch Pad. Granted it does prove that the concept is very much capable of being implemented for the Touch Pad, it doesn't change what kind of proprietary means HP will ninja into the software or possibly even hardware..
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I'm pretty sure, that this is a raw bluetooth implementation (as even some cars can display your incoming sms messages, not to speak of calls...).

So I think, the possibility of this working with every bluetooth phone is at some 90%.
    This is true for viewing contacts and making calls, which I can already do thru my Garmin to my PRE Plus and my Centro. The only question I have is text messages. Probably the same answer, but I dont have a new enough GPS or a bluetooth enabled car to find out.

But I think you are right.
  5.    #25  
    One thing i do know right now, is i'm alittle ****ed off at my phone (sorry for language). its had this problem of texting one of my friends from California, and its really starting to aggravate me. Although granted i've FINALLY found a possible (yet commonly only temporary) solution to this, so hopefully it'll work out too! Just one severe reason for why i'm possibly replacing this one..
  6.    #26  
    Oh Wow, may have just screwed myself over... Because I dont have 3G at my house, it wont let me sign back into my Palm Profile to redownload all my apps and contacts!!! It wont even give me the option to connect via WiFi to perform such a task!!!...

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic here guys XD
    It would be in their best interest because it would help them sell webOS tablets to the zillion iPhone/Blackberry/Android users...
    Perhaps, but their ultimate goal is to sell tablets AND phones to iphone/Blackberry/Android users, by having a better offering in both categories.

Still, that doesn't answer the cost/reward question of implementing such a feature. i'm sure Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG, etc, all of whom have tablet aspirations of their own, wouldn't be to keen on allowing this feature to work well. HP is safer by never promising it, than they are including it and having it broken in the future. we all remember the itune fiasco.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    why r u complaining about the release of the pre3 anyway... from everything that i have seen the pre3 will release in about the same month as the touchpad... if thats the case it may even come out ealier than the evo 3d.... i think ure thinking too much =P
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    HP is creating a ecosystem and they've said as much. It makes little sense for HP to do what the OP is asking. Those phones you mentioned have tablets running their own operating systems. If those people like they're phones they're likely to stay within their own ecosystem. They're not going to get a webOS tablet. Now if they don't like their phones and they're interested in webOS they'll come over and purchase a webOS phone or Touchpad or both.

And Mhunterjr has a valid point.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    im sure there can be a patch for that =)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by master620 View Post
    Yea, that'd be interesting! although, my walmart never have display models cause people keep destroying them... so i doubt i'd get to 'test' anything out sadly.
    Don't forget BestBuy is selling the TouchPad too.I always buy my electronics from there and their prices have come down.They even have a price match system in place but anyway.You can go to BestBuy and test out a TouchPad when they get it so don't feel down about that.It's just a matter of when BestBuy will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Perhaps, but their ultimate goal is to sell tablets AND phones to iphone/Blackberry/Android users, by having a better offering in both categories.

Still, that doesn't answer the cost/reward question of implementing such a feature. i'm sure Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG, etc, all of whom have tablet aspirations of their own, wouldn't be to keen on allowing this feature to work well. HP is safer by never promising it, than they are including it and having it broken in the future. we all remember the itune fiasco.
    Mhunterjr 03:18 AM 05/30/2011 -- [Reply] [!!]
    I'm sure HP could make this feature work with more phones if they worked at it, but why would they? they are trying to sell webOS...

not to mention the logistical issues. the way webOS handles contacts and aggregates messaging... it would mean putting a lot of extra effort and resources into making it work with other platforms, not to mention keeping up with other platforms as they change their APIs. I wouldn't put it past companies (see: Apple) to deliberately try to break the feature.

At the end of the day, it might be more trouble than its worth to go that route.

-prethadd81- Those are very good points and sums up every reason why it shouldn't be on every OS.Granted it would be cool and it would sell WebOS devices but other companies would have to play nice and let this happen.Plus why would they build for other OS's when they want to sell their products!! it doesn't makes sense.Apple makes ipods,iphone,ipads,and itunes to work each other not other phones or tablets..These products are made to help sell one another.Why is it such a bad thing for HP to sinlge itself out? But when Apple makes its exclusive features like an app that could esily be ported people think it's cool.Why can't WebOS,and it's products have it's exlcusives??!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    Best thing to do i think is make this rock solid for other webos devices and advertise the heck out of it. THEN make a killer app to add for other platforms. Make more money lol. Works for apple. That way you wont have hella returns if they run into crossplatform issues just do app updates as needed. Dam they should hire me lol :-)
    The difference is that Apple nor any other OS developer is making an app for other OS' so that functions distinct to Apple or Google or Blackberry or Windows Phone 7 products also work on other manufacturers products. Why would anyone do that? That makes no sense at all. That is why you don't see manufacturers doing it bc if it made sense people that make more money than me would have already created the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    HP is creating a ecosystem and they've said as much. It makes little sense for HP to do what the OP is asking. Those phones you mentioned have tablets running their own operating systems. If those people like they're phones they're likely to stay within their own ecosystem. They're not going to get a webOS tablet. Now if they don't like their phones and they're interested in webOS they'll come over and purchase a webOS phone or Touchpad or both.

And Mhunterjr has a valid point.
    For the same reason that Apple made iTunes for Windows. It opens up a larger market that you can infiltrate to eventually sell them other things. They sold more iPods to Windows users than they did OSX users. Cuz there were 100x more of them.

Today there is little reason for an iPhone user to consider any tablet other than an iPad. If HP can find a way to add unique value to an iPhone from a TouchPad, it will increase the odds of iPhone users considering the TouchPad. Once they have the TouchPad and love webOS, they will be looking for more things that run webOS... like phones, toasters, etc. This is basic strategy.

Apple has done it well with iTunes/iPod when the Mac was at 2% market share. Now look where they are. Microsoft did it to Netware when Novell owned the NOS market. History is littered with examples. This is a no brainer. If HP can make it work beyond a webOS phone, they will absolutely do it. Personally I think they can do it for calling - because it's already possible with my Garmin GPS. I suspect that txt messaging may require 2.x, but that's pure speculation based on what I hear at the announcement - which was before they told us legacy devices weren't getting 2.x

And we will know for sure soon if the rumors are true that the first TouchPads are on their way to walmart - that bastion of hi-tech shoppers and gadget mavens... lines may already be forming outside of a Walmart near you!
    For the same reason that Apple made iTunes for Windows. It opens up a larger market that you can infiltrate to eventually sell them other things. They sold more iPods to Windows users than they did OSX users. Cuz there were 100x more of them.

Today there is little reason for an iPhone user to consider any tablet other than an iPad. If HP can find a way to add unique value to an iPhone from a TouchPad, it will increase the odds of iPhone users considering the TouchPad. Once they have the TouchPad and love webOS, they will be looking for more things that run webOS... like phones, toasters, etc. This is basic strategy.

Apple has done it well with iTunes/iPod when the Mac was at 2% market share. Now look where they are. Microsoft did it to Netware when Novell owned the NOS market. History is littered with examples. This is a no brainer. If HP can make it work beyond a webOS phone, they will absolutely do it. Personally I think they can do it for calling - because it's already possible with my Garmin GPS. I suspect that txt messaging may require 2.x, but that's pure speculation based on what I hear at the announcement - which was before they told us legacy devices weren't getting 2.x

And we will know for sure soon if the rumors are true that the first TouchPads are on their way to walmart - that bastion of hi-tech shoppers and gadget mavens... lines may already be forming outside of a Walmart near you!
    You're stretching it with this take. Let's do an apples to apples comparison. Why hasn't Apple, HTC, RIM, Acer, Samsung, Motorola, Huwaie, or any other manufacture made it so that there phones or tablets can recieve text messages and phones calls from a competitor's device? Bc it doesn't make any practical business sense to do so. If I ran those companies I wouldn't do a such a stupid thing bc your device becomes a dumb device.

It would require so much work on the manfacturer's part that the cost to implement and maintain such a feature so that it worked on phones other than the ones HP manufacturers wouldn't be justified by the potential of pulling in a very small number of customers.

Again, if you're already in the Apple, RIM, Google, Windows Phone 7 ecosystem and you like it, you're not purchasing a pad from another ecosystem. For the people in those ecosystems that don't like their devices, then you HP has a chance to get those individuals over to webOS.
    Cuz HP just thought of it for a device that wasn't invented until last year... geesh.

Remember, the TouchPad was originally planned as an Android device before the acquisition. I'd bet that TTS and using the TP to access phone radios were in the design specs before Palm came along... Maybe not using a touchstone cover, but using NFC...

HP was trying to get into the iPad market long before Palm came along. So they were looking for cool ways to differentiate and add value before they had a line of phones running the same OS as their upcoming Android TouchPad.

History is very useful here.

And how much did it cost Garmin to add the standard bluetooth feature to my GPS so I can use it as a dialer and speakerphone for my Pre (and before that for my Centro)? Answer: $0 because it's part of bluetooth. As I said, only the txt messaging aspect is in question. The rest is already there if it supports the right profiles...

It didn't require any effort from Palm... or any other bluetooth phone maker. It only took effort from Garmin to support the necessary profile on their GPS devices... why are you fighting this?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/30/2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Cuz HP just thought of it for a device that wasn't invented until last year... geesh.

Remember, the TouchPad was originally planned as an Android device before the acquisition. I'd bet that TTS and using the TP to access phone radios were in the design specs before Palm came along... Maybe not using a touchstone cover, but using NFC...

HP was trying to get into the iPad market long before Palm came along. So they were looking for cool ways to differentiate and add value before they had a line of phones running the same OS as their upcoming Android TouchPad.

History is very useful here.

And how much did it cost Garmin to add the standard bluetooth feature to my GPS so I can use it as a dialer and speakerphone for my Pre (and before that for my Centro)? Answer: $0 because it's part of bluetooth. As I said, only the txt messaging aspect is in question. The rest is already there if it supports the right profiles...

It didn't require any effort from Palm... or any other bluetooth phone maker. It only took effort from Garmin to support the necessary profile on their GPS devices... why are you fighting this?
    making the touchpad receive calls like a blutooth headset is probably trivial. But maintaining the consistent webOS experience while doing so, would be a more difficult task. By having to webOS devices linked to one profile, HP is able to leverage Synergy to group messages/calls from a single person who uses multiple services in a manner that is seamless between the two devices. How would you webOS synergy handle this data from an android device? what if google changed the way the data is presented shortly after the touchpads release? there's a lot more to think about here.
    right, and then HP would still have their interconnected device feature with touch to share that would only work with webOS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    yes, but HP still would have TTS capabilities available ONLY for its webOS devices. still maintaining its ecosystem concept.
  20.    #40  
    i see alot of valid points for why it should and shouldn't be done, but for ever "why it shouldn't" i can see a "why it should" and vise versa >_<;

for the whole "it wouldn't be able to sync properly" thing (paraphrased):
    it wouldn't really require any sort of palm profile to be really done at all. think about it, all the stuff is being done via bluetooth. there is already data transfer protocols and what not in place for it. the phone just needs to be able to push "hey there's a new message!" and the TP go "oh really? send it on over!" and then the phone pushes it over via a simple BT Data Connection...

now granted, it doesn't mean that this could be how its all working already, although i almost bet it is, but if they seriously made it any more "complicated" than that simple little outline, then they are just asking for constant glitches and quirks. as the past has shown us thousands of times before, simple is usually better. instead of having some fancy program having to do a hundred different tasks just to send/receive basic data such as a few bytes worth of text, then it just increases the chances of failure from such program. if it was just a simple "hey here's a message, do you want it?" from the phone, and a "yea go ahead and send it to me" from the Touch Pad, it creates a very simple blue tooth connection to send data just like we already do between other blue tooth devices.

Example:
    You connect your phone, laptop, or desktop to a bluetooth printer. the device sends text or an image over bluetooth through a simple data transfer, and the printer uses it just like it would if it was connected via usb.

Another Example:
    Phone connected to laptop or desktop, transferring pictures, music, videos, etc over said connection either from computer to phone, or from phone to computer.

heck we even use bluetooth to tether our phones to computers for internet!

The technology is already here for it, and its simple and straight forward... no god like programing is required to make the texting/calling features work properly across any type of phone. the only real hitch here... is contacts!

the contacts of which you text (and/or possibly even call) would probably need to be dang near exactly the same on both the TP and the phone. i can see where some serious issues could arise if the TP had different contact information than the phone does. But that is already almost cleared completely up if you are using an Android phone, cause it syncs contacts through Google, but low and behold, SO DOES WEBOS. as long as the contact you are texting has the same google contact linked together (as in, the contact on the TP is linked to the same Google Contact as the Android's contact) then there shouldn't be a single problem what so ever. but for iPhones, they dont have something that syncs that way i believe. but then again, i dont know much about iPhones.

and as for the whole Ecosystem thing:
    with the regard of the whole iPad/iPhone ecosystem, there isn't much "syncing" being done between those devices at all. i haven't seen any "over the air" or "cloud" based syncing with them. you always have to connect it to a computer to sync all your music, pictures, videos, sometimes contacts (if i remember from my iPod Touch), and sometimes apps. now granted the apps can be synced via a cloud like thing, but you have to go to the app store, find the app you bought/downloaded from the other device, and redownload it onto the new device. idk if the whole "you previously downloaded this app on another device. would you like to download it to this one?" kind of thing is an option when signing into your app store profile, but either way, its too many steps compared to WebOS's "you downloaded this on your Phone using this account, your app will now be synced across all platforms" aspect.

(sorry for all the quotation type references. its nearly 100 degrees here, so its too hot to just sit here and try to describe everything in alot of detail when i can just simply use an analogy lol)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast