Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I much prefer shopping at Costco over Walmart. Food prices are almost always cheaper, and a lot of their electronics items, etc. are models made specifically for costco which sometimes include extra stuff.
    Hi all, My comments are in blue! take care,

jay

1. I stopped shopping at Walmart/Sam's before I met Amy so that's over 5 years ago, (we now reefer to Sam's as the "S" word...), b/c they pay people so poorly. Costco is now paying Amy approx 3 x what Sam's club/walmart does...in addition they offer time and 1/2 on Sundays.

2. approx 40% of Sam's Club/walmart employees are on MEDICAID b/c they either cannot afford the med ins and/or the deducible is so high...yet the 3 largest stockholder sin the corporation are Sam Walton's 3 children who rank among the richest people in the world....

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I seriously doubt Costco will either offer a lower price or include anything else besides just retail TouchPad package. That was the case with the iPad and most major electronics.

You can't compare a set of knives, even if it was just an example.

Hi, as you read after your posting another brand of Pad is offering a case when purchased at Costco.....I wouldn't be surprised to see a special deal with Costco for the TouchPad.

And can we all agree that Costco's 90-day return policy is better than the usual 30-day you get elsewhere? Point, set, match.
    Hi, Not that long ago, Costco had a 1 year return and the returns on electronics go so out of hand that the chopped it back to 90 days...

Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    The Xoom came with a gel case at Costco. In fact that package is still on their site.
    [/COLOR]
    I stand correct then, thanks. But (personally), a gel case alone would not make me change my buying options from one retailer to another.

They're consumer policies would, though. Which is why I shop at Costco as much as we can.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    BTW Jay, congrats on your marriage announcement (saw it on another thread a few days ago).

May I suggest a webOS-related wedding gift?
    Hi all,

Thank you very much...we are telling everyone no wedding or engagement presents b/c at our ages we have almost anything we would ever really need.

I have owned a house for here or back when I used to live in NYC or when I had a house in the Poconos, for over 30 some odd years...we really don't need anything.

Also with the economy the way it is, we feel badly of having to add an expense to everyone's lives at this time.

So the Pre3 I will get as soon as it comes out, b/c my Centro will not last much longer.....but the Touchpad would be nice....but I need to have my bathtub fixed first...

(The bathtub was supposed to last for ever, it is a composite of fiberglass and ultra high temp porcelain, that cost $400 extra.... it figures just after the guarantee ended it started rusting thru...(odd considering the house i owned in NYC tub was convention cast iron porcelain and it was great when I sold the house 6 years ago and it was 50 years old then....this one is only 15 years old...)...oh well....

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Costco often adds a benefit instead of lowering the price on electronics. For example, for many of their notebooks, they add a second year to the warranty. I bought a netbook there and paid $20 less than MSRP and also got the extended warranty free.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Costco also offers a 2 year warranty on computers...

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge™ Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.

Edit: Saw your post Bevcraw after I posted this...
    And that 2 year warranty also stacks with the American Express credit card extended warranty so you would have 3 years.

Now I just hope Costco sells the new ASUS G74!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    One of the reasons I don't have a membership to either club any more, I found we spent too much at some times on stuff we didn't really need. Not to mention I have read an article on Lifehacker (recently though) about how you aren't really saving money depending on what you are buying.

I think it's been about 3 years since my last club store membership expired.
    I experienced the same thing so now when I go to Costco because I need a specific item IN VOLUME, I limit myself to what I can carry in one trip - no carts! This has help me quite a bit to concentrate on what I really need RIGHT NOW! Probably requires more trips but that is offset by being able to get out quickly, especially now that the two I frequent have self checkout lanes ...
    When I was single and did the occasional trip for groceries for my parents, I also used to have issues "over-buying" my groceries, until I got married.
    My wife has this wonderful system in place -it's called a shopping list! Seriously, though, as long as we stick to the list (and don't go grocery shopping hungry -to avoid any further temptations), we're totally fine.

It's not the quantity that's the issue (as long as you know if the unit price is cheaper than at the supermarket) it's just buying unnecessary items that adds to the extra cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    I experienced the same thing so now when I go to Costco because I need a specific item IN VOLUME, I limit myself to what I can carry in one trip - no carts! This has help me quite a bit to concentrate on what I really need RIGHT NOW! Probably requires more trips but that is offset by being able to get out quickly, especially now that the two I frequent have self checkout lanes ...
    Hi all,

My fiance works for Costco, (she is a cashier), so I'm there all of the time.

1. I can't limit my purchases to what I can only carry. My mom will be 88 shortly, she drinks Ensure along with her meals. It's a little hard to carry 4 cases/96 bottles of them at a time...(LOL).

2. I don't use self check anywhere.

a. They are particularly annoying at Costco, since you must scan the item and then place it on the belt to the packing area of the check out lane. If you scan an item and then you go to put it directly back into your cart or shopping bag or boxes the unit "freaks out" and an alarm goes off. The second belt is tied to a scale to make sure that you place the item on the first belt, scan it and you MUST place it on the next belt, (at least that's how it is in Amy's store).

b. Those self check out lanes are putting checkers out of jobs.... Costco has ONE PERSON at all times watching over the check out lanes. However in my fiancee's store that is one person over FOUR check out lanes....that's THREE LESS PEOPLE ON THE PAYROLL. With the economy such as it is, I try to be aware of when a firm tries to replace people with automation and not use those lanes.

c. At least I can understand it in Costco's case because they START EMPLOYEES AT $12 an hour and the salaries top out at over $20 an hour...in addition the get TIME AND A HALF FOR SUNDAY'S In the five years that Amy & I have been together, other than vacation time she is never off Sundays due to the time and a half...she always asks to be working on Sundays... their benefits are also amazing...her dental plan covers almost everything....when Costco has a good year they put extra money over and above their normal annual contribution to their 401K plans. They also get semi annual bonuses that are quite sizable...

To digress a little: Costco does carry more high end items than Sam's club...but what bothers me about Sam's Club is that they pay the same crummy salary that Walmart pays....there are approx 40% of Walmart/Sam's Club employees who are on MEDICAID b/c their health insurance is so high and/or their deducible is so large that they can't afford to be on Walmart/Sam's Club medical insurance....mind you the three largest stockholders are the 3 surviving (out of 4) of Sam Walton's children, (who also are among the richest people in the world). So we the tax payers are picking up the costs of health care needs of many of the employees in spite of the fact that this is one of the most profitable firms in the country. They DON'T pay time and a half for Sunday's, they don't have twice a year bonuses.

Since I know people who are cashiers at Walmart/Sam's Club I can safely say that their salaries are 1/2 to 2/3rds less than Costco.

Since Walmart/Sam's Club breaks their sales figures down separating each of the Sam's Club from Walmart. Costco is MUCH more profitable!!!!

One last thing to mention since the salaries are so low for teachers here in Florida. My Fiancee makes more working, at Costco, (much more), then she did teaching! Her benefit package is far over and above what any of the Florida school system offers...

take care,

Jay

PS I know it is difficult to get out of Costco only buying exactly and only what you need. I therefore NEVER shop there when I'm hungry, since I buy far more food the when I haven't eaten. I shop there enough to know where almost everything is... I go only to the aisles that have the items I need and I don't go up and down each aisle...it's far less tempting to buy what you don't need if you don't see it in the first place.

One other note: Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's all make the vast majority of their profit from the membership fees...they make the most money on grocery items...(pennies an item, but that adds up quickly when you have thousands of orders per store, at hundreds of dollars each), due to tight money they found that people were buying less produce, b/c of the larger packing. They are starting to pack some produce and groceries in smaller amounts in order to boost sales...When I lived on my own back in NY I split almost everything I bought, with my sister or friends....after all how much olive oil does one person use in a year? Yet, the pricing is hard to beat....I buy Lox, (smoked salmon, the same brand in NYC as here in FL), packaged in 1 1/2 pound packages @ Costco...it cost the same for 1 1/2 lbs than it does for a half pound in NYC at the price I was paying in NYC 18 years ago...Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Costco often adds a benefit instead of lowering the price on electronics. For example, for many of their notebooks, they add a second year to the warranty. I bought a netbook there and paid $20 less than MSRP and also got the extended warranty free.
    Costco always either offers a very good discount on electronic items or if there are restrictions on the discounting of the retail price, they will bundle accessories or other items that add value to the primary item OR they will extend the warranty of the item as they do for all computers.

You should be aware that HP does not allow discounting of their retail prices. This is to protect the brand and the value HP sees in the products. Now, they will offer special pricing at times but when they do they make it available to everyone who sells that product (none of that Apple stuff!) so small to large retailers are treated the same. When the special pricing expires the item returns to its original retail price. This is part of the reason that HP is so well respected.

One of the initiatives HP regularly does to help retailers is it will run a "sale" (special pricing) in an ad campaign for a product that is about to be discontinued to help the retailers clear their inventory. They will protect the retailer's margin by taking the hit on the drop in the price. Now the reseller can offer its own incentives to differentiate itself, but this takes the form of gift cards, additional items, or coupons (sound familiar?).

These and other practices make HP resellers extremely loyal to HP and their products. I'm pretty sure that the Touchpad will be available at Costco at the standard retail price unless they offer some pricing initiative (i.e. coupon toward another HP product, for example). Since the product will have limited quantities on launch, that is unlikely but it will have a 2 year warranty. That extra warranty actually is actually a very good value. Since the average life of most electronics is 2 years or less, you are assured of no additional costs beside shipping, maybe, if the unit needs repair.

I've never had to get anything from HP repaired so I'm not sure but I believe you take it back to Costco and they handle the repair. Maybe someone can verify or correct that. I will be buying my TouchPad at Costco once webOS is stable on it and I can actually edit Office content on it. Per an old saying, modified accordingly ... First time, shame on HP ... Second time, shame on ME!!
    Last edited by geewhiz; 06/25/2011 at 01:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    Costco always either offers a very good discount on electronic item or if there are restrictions on the discounting of the retail price, they will bundle accessories or other items that add value to the primary item OR they will extend the warranty of the item as they do for all computers.

You should be aware that HP does not allow discounting of their retail prices. This is to protect the brand and the value HP sees in the products. Now, they will offer special pricing at times but when they do they make it available to everyone who sells that product (none of that Apple stuff!) so small to large retailers are treated the same. This is part of the reason that HP is so well respected. One of the initiatives HP regularly does to help retailers is it will run a "sale" (special pricing) in an ad campaign for a product that is about to be discontinued to help the retailers clear their inventory. They will protect the retailer's margin by taking the hit on the drop in the price.

These and other practices make HP resellers extremely loyal to HP and their products. I'm pretty sure that the Touchpad will be available at Costco at the standard retail price unless they offer some pricing initiative (i.e. coupon toward another HP product, for example). Since the product will have limited quantities on launch, that is unlikely but it will have a 2 year warranty. That extra warranty actually is actually a very good value. Since the average life of most electronics is 2 years or less, you are assured of no additional costs beside shipping, maybe, if the unit needs repair.

I've never had to get anything from HP repaired so I'm not sure but I believe you take it back to Costco and they handle the repair. Maybe someone can verify or correct that. I will be buying my TouchPad at Costco once webOS is stable on it and I can actually edit Office content on it. Per an old saying, modified accordingly ... First time, shame on HP ... Second time, shame on ME!!
    Hi,

Well said, thank You!

I believe that in addition to the extra year on the guarantee, there also is a cover for the TouchPad included. Costco ALWAYS tries to cut a deal with the manufacturer for as you stated "a bundle".

However an extra year guarantee is reason enough to buy at Costco.

Take care,

Jay
    FYI ... Confirmed in store today that the 32 GB version will be in store for $579.99. Also, they will arrive in store about 7/8 or 7/9. Their system says 7/6, however the staff say that's to the local distribution center. He told me to call on the 8th. Their system also showed anywhere from 10 to 35 units will be on hand in each store. All said, while online in the US they show the 16 GB model, in store all will be able to get the 32 GB model... And note... No 16 GB model in their system in store. My suggestion, go to your local Costco and ask them to pull it up in their system for all stores and you can see what stores near you will be getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

My fiance works for Costco, (she is a cashier), so I'm there all of the time.

1. I can't limit my purchases to what I can only carry. My mom will be 88 shortly, she drinks Ensure along with her meals. It's a little hard to carry 4 cases/96 bottles of them at a time...(LOL).

2. I don't use self check anywhere.

a. They are particularly annoying at Costco, since you must scan the item and then place it on the belt to the packing area of the check out lane. If you scan an item and then you go to put it directly back into your cart or shopping bag or boxes the unit "freaks out" and an alarm goes off. The second belt is tied to a scale to make sure that you place the item on the first belt, scan it and you MUST place it on the next belt, (at least that's how it is in Amy's store).

b. Those self check out lanes are putting checkers out of jobs.... Costco has ONE PERSON at all times watching over the check out lanes. However in my fiancee's store that is one person over FOUR check out lanes....that's THREE LESS PEOPLE ON THE PAYROLL. With the economy such as it is, I try to be aware of when a firm tries to replace people with automation and not use those lanes.

c. At least I can understand it in Costco's case because they START EMPLOYEES AT $12 an hour and the salaries top out at over $20 an hour...in addition the get TIME AND A HALF FOR SUNDAY'S In the five years that Amy & I have been together, other than vacation time she is never off Sundays due to the time and a half...she always asks to be working on Sundays... their benefits are also amazing...her dental plan covers almost everything....when Costco has a good year they put extra money over and above their normal annual contribution to their 401K plans. They also get semi annual bonuses that are quite sizable...

To digress a little: Costco does carry more high end items than Sam's club...but what bothers me about Sam's Club is that they pay the same crummy salary that Walmart pays....there are approx 40% of Walmart/Sam's Club employees who are on MEDICAID b/c their health insurance is so high and/or their deducible is so large that they can't afford to be on Walmart/Sam's Club medical insurance....mind you the three largest stockholders are the 3 surviving (out of 4) of Sam Walton's children, (who also are among the richest people in the world). So we the tax payers are picking up the costs of health care needs of many of the employees in spite of the fact that this is one of the most profitable firms in the country. They DON'T pay time and a half for Sunday's, they don't have twice a year bonuses.

Since I know people who are cashiers at Walmart/Sam's Club I can safely say that their salaries are 1/2 to 2/3rds less than Costco.

Since Walmart/Sam's Club breaks their sales figures down separating each of the Sam's Club from Walmart. Costco is MUCH more profitable!!!!

One last thing to mention since the salaries are so low for teachers here in Florida. My Fiancee makes more working, at Costco, (much more), then she did teaching! Her benefit package is far over and above what any of the Florida school system offers...

take care,

Jay

PS I know it is difficult to get out of Costco only buying exactly and only what you need. I therefore NEVER shop there when I'm hungry, since I buy far more food the when I haven't eaten. I shop there enough to know where almost everything is... I go only to the aisles that have the items I need and I don't go up and down each aisle...it's far less tempting to buy what you don't need if you don't see it in the first place.

One other note: Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's all make the vast majority of their profit from the membership fees...they make the most money on grocery items...(pennies an item, but that adds up quickly when you have thousands of orders per store, at hundreds of dollars each), due to tight money they found that people were buying less produce, b/c of the larger packing. They are starting to pack some produce and groceries in smaller amounts in order to boost sales...When I lived on my own back in NY I split almost everything I bought, with my sister or friends....after all how much olive oil does one person use in a year? Yet, the pricing is hard to beat....I buy Lox, (smoked salmon, the same brand in NYC as here in FL), packaged in 1 1/2 pound packages @ Costco...it cost the same for 1 1/2 lbs than it does for a half pound in NYC at the price I was paying in NYC 18 years ago...Jay
    I don't buy all of my groceries at Costco because of the volume issue. What I found before it what you alluded to: food spoils before I can eat it all or that quart of olive oil lasts 10 years and doesn't taste that good after a few years! The self checkout has all of the issues you mentioned but they don't really affect me that much since I only have a few items, usually 4 - 6. And it allows me to zip through the line and get out of the store quickly. The two stores closest to me are both 5 miles/10 minutes away so more trips are not a big deal and always done amongst other stops. So it works for me, but not everyone else, of course.

Regarding the self checkout lanes and their impact on employee jobs. Everywhere I have seen it tried it has failed miserably when it tried to replace employees. It ends up requiring additional employees because there are always problems as you mentioned, not to mention items that are too big for the belts! What they do is to speed shoppers like myself with a few items through the lane once the shopper understands the system. A Home Depot employee told me they had discovered this already but also realized that it allows them to increase the speed of checkout by "shuffling" low volume buyers through the self checkout lanes. So while they are not removing them they are not adding more and the net is one more employee to handle the self checkout lanes. I believe this is what Costco is really doing because they are extremely profitable (much more than Walmart) and don't need to cut costs.

I'm a health insurance agent and what Costco is doing with their benefits is unprecedented at this time when companies are drastically cutting benefits AND pay. Contrast that with the Walmart "model" as you detailed so well. Walmart has faltered in a major way in the last couple of years. Their profit has dropped mightily as they made a major mistake in removing hundreds of items from their stores in order to make "wider" aisles and a more "airy" look to the stores (to compete better with Target). They trying to reverse their direction now but it is going slow and the financial "wolves" [sorry ... analysts] are after them!

Regarding education, unfortunately our society has lost its way in educating our children. Our school district currently has a 1 to 1 ratio of teacher to administrator ... says it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Really? I think that you maybe wrong. Walmart is the largest retailer in the US and the world. More people visit Walmart & it related stores than Costco. But having Costco on board is good.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, but Walmart doesn't control the flow of traffic. Their are multiple entrances into Walmart, but one door into Costco. The door opens right in front of gadgets and Tech. You pass cameras and tech stuff as soon as you enter.

They used to put iPods right on the main cross aisle as soon as you enter. I see them putting the TouchPad their to highlight it before you even go to the PCs which is also as soon as you enter. Possibly as a kiss-off to Apple or just to show off they have a tablet.

You must pass the gadgets and Tech stuff, before you get to the food items. It's a market strategy that sells a lot of Tech stuff and it works.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123