Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    Other than the coolness factor, I am struggling to come up with a legit reason as to why I should shell out $499 on any tablet. Seems to me the best reason for a tablet is if you need easy portability. I could see a great reason if I commuted on a train but I walk to work. At home, I may as well just use my laptop. Having a tablet too would make one of the devices irrelevant. If I just wanted a book reader, I'd go with the Kindle. It is the lightest thing on the market by far, easiest on the eyes by far and easiest on the wallet by far. Can anyone thing of a reason I would need one because I kind of want one, well just because, LOL. Anyone else feel the same way?
  2. #2  
    You're right, if you just camp out at home a lot and you are happy with your laptop then I don't see any reason why you would need one. but if are out and about and not a home body then this might be the hot ticket. But you have to admit that with everything transfering from your Pre 3/Veer to the TP is a really cool factor plus it is more convenient to hold and carry around your house then a laptop and with it's longer battery life, you don't have to be tethered to a charging cord when ever you move from one room the the next.
  3. #3  
    I disagree with that. One of the killer apps of at least some of the tablets out there is very large battery life. I can find no laptop that has 10 hours of actual, actively used battery life. If you find yourself needing portable computing battery life, a tablet might be darn useful. (Assuming, of course, that you can deal with the tradeoffs that come with the increased battery life.)

    N.B. I do not own a tablet. But battery life is what attracts me to them.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4. #4  
    1. If you do things in a hurry and really like instant-on.
    2. If cloud computing is right up your alley. You pretty much stick to the basics most of the time. No hard drives to back up or have crash on you, all your day-to-day computing is accessible from almost any computer or device that has internet.
    3. If you prefer to lounge while computing rather than sitting at a table or desk using a mouse, or having your laptop burn a hole through your legs.
    4. If you want to conserve energy.

    Just some ideas.
  5. #5  
    For folks that want to play Angry Birds on a bigger screen, maybe!
  6. #6  
    I think you would need a tablet if everything you did on your laptop you could easily do on a tablet. If you just browse the web and play a few light games, tablet will give you that and greater portability, plus consistent software updates. Also, more developers will be making apps for tablets. You'll have your big PC game developers coming out with Crysis 10 and Halo 17 and such, but for utility apps and entertainment apps, more of that is moving from PCs to tablets. I would have a desktop at home with specs not feasible on a laptop to play cutting edge games, and a tablet for everything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    For folks that want to play Angry Birds on a bigger screen, maybe!
    You can play that on your 75" screen in a web browser now.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #7  
    its a great way to show photos.
  8. #8  
    I used to think the same way (tablet not needed) but after using one for a period of a few weeks, I changed my mind.

    I would suggest buying one from a local store that has a comprehensive return policy and using it for the duration of the return period. Then decide if the product justifies the cost or not.

    Nobody can tell you if youíll be happy with one other than yourself, and you wonít know until you actually try one in your daily life.

    And for what itís worth, ďNo, I donít need oneĒ is a valid answer. But making that decision before actually using one enough is only doing yourself a disservice.

    -Suntan
  9. #9  
    there's no real reason you need one. That's why apple has the only one that sells. It's cool to buy anything apple.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I used to think the same way (tablet not needed) but after using one for a period of a few weeks, I changed my mind.

    I would suggest buying one from a local store that has a comprehensive return policy and using it for the duration of the return period. Then decide if the product justifies the cost or not.

    Nobody can tell you if youíll be happy with one other than yourself, and you wonít know until you actually try one in your daily life.

    And for what itís worth, ďNo, I donít need oneĒ is a valid answer. But making that decision before actually using one enough is only doing yourself a disservice.

    -Suntan
    Well, respectfully, not exactly; its more like this, IMO:

    Anyone CAN say they don't "need" one - and mean it, because they have done just fine without it - therefore, unless the device provides the capacity to do something they NEED to that no other device can, then it's not really a "need" - its a "desire"

    So, it would be fair to see you might not "want" one before trying it out, and THAT may change after you have had hands on experience.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. #11  
    For me, I'm not a fan of dual monitors. Always trying to figure out where the mouse is, etc. With full screen gaming, a tablet would be nice for looking up game related things without tabbing out + it’s a safer web experience as far as virus type things go. Also, I came up with an app idea that would work great on a tablet, while at my local bar, and I can't wait to get my hands on one to try it out (I still have to code it up though).

    I was a big tablet hater until recently when I finally found a legitimate use for one. As long as HP continues to support it for the long haul, I'm not too worried about app counts as all I plan on using for is internet and the couple of apps I plan to code.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    3. If you prefer to lounge while computing rather than sitting at a table or desk using a mouse, or having your laptop burn a hole through your legs.
    4. If you want to conserve energy.

    Just some ideas.
    You realize you can adjust the power settings, at least on a Windows PC, so that your laptop doesn't produce any meaningful heat when you don't need to put a heavy load on it. I've actually done this on both my laptop and desktop to conserve energy when I don't need full load and to produce less or no heat. Also, switching between the profiles takes two clicks once their setup.
  13. #13  
    My iPad has almost completely replaced my laptops for casual at-home internet access and light computing.

    Principal advantages for me are battery life (10 hours vs. 2), form factor (tablets are better for browsing in bed, for example), durability, and instant-on. Not having to worry about blocking fan vents, etc. is great, and for portability the tablet is obviously much less cumbersome than a laptop (even my featherweight MacBook Air).

    I was one of the people who thought the idea of a tablet running a mobile OS was stupid - until I owned one. To say it's just a vanity purchase or style statement is completely wrong. Tablets have re-defined the way I use technology.
  14. #14  
    My construction company will be adopting the TP as our Project Management software is in the cloud. We will be able to access info on site instead of saying "I'll get back to you when I get back to the office".

    Segue: what? Don't like more than 1 monitor? If you work with everything digital as I do, FOUR monitors is just right! =P Saves so much time day to day.
    I see pandas.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Other than the coolness factor, I am struggling to come up with a legit reason as to why I should shell out $499 on any tablet. Seems to me the best reason for a tablet is if you need easy portability. I could see a great reason if I commuted on a train but I walk to work. At home, I may as well just use my laptop. Having a tablet too would make one of the devices irrelevant. If I just wanted a book reader, I'd go with the Kindle. It is the lightest thing on the market by far, easiest on the eyes by far and easiest on the wallet by far. Can anyone thing of a reason I would need one because I kind of want one, well just because, LOL. Anyone else feel the same way?
    First, you'll have to define "need". Most consumers don't really "need" a computer, or a cell phone for that matter.

    Can't really eat or drink either one...
  16. #16  
    Do you travel? If so, yes you need a tablet IMO. Leave your valuable laptop with all it's vulnerable data at home.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you travel? If so, yes you need a tablet IMO. Leave your valuable laptop with all it's vulnerable data at home.
    Wasn't the reason laptops were created was to be on the go?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you travel? If so, yes you need a tablet IMO. Leave your valuable laptop with all it's vulnerable data at home.
    Encryption and back ups are your friends for protecting valuable data. Both should be used with devices that travel frequently, regardless of form factor.
  19. #19  
    That's good practices, but if it's stolen, you're still screwed big time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Wasn't the reason laptops were created was to be on the go?
    Laptop theft rate is very high and TSA dropping or damaging laptops has been noted. Also border confiscations. Where do you want your business info ending up?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions