Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63
  1. rootdude's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    My iPad has almost completely replaced my laptops for casual at-home internet access and light computing.

    Principal advantages for me are battery life (10 hours vs. 2), form factor (tablets are better for browsing in bed, for example), durability, and instant-on. Not having to worry about blocking fan vents, etc. is great, and for portability the tablet is obviously much less cumbersome than a laptop (even my featherweight MacBook Air).

    I was one of the people who thought the idea of a tablet running a mobile OS was stupid - until I owned one. To say it's just a vanity purchase or style statement is completely wrong. Tablets have re-defined the way I use technology.
    Agree 100%
  2. #42  
    More than 10 years ago, I would not have dreamed of replacing my desktop tower with a notebook. Then notebooks got more powerful and cheaper. I've been using a notebook as my main computer for nearly 10 years (on my 3rd notebook).

    Then netbooks came along and they were light and cheap. I no longer needed to take my notebook out of the house. I could use the netbook for travel, for my genealogy research, and I could even use it to drive a projector for presentations. And it was nice to have a second computer on hand on the other side of the house.

    Now I am trying to decide whether a tablet will be able to take over the functions of the netbook. Because the operating system is different from my notebook and netbook, the decision rests much more on the available apps for the tablet. I'm still not sure at this point.
  3. #43  
    Just about anything you can do with a netbook you can likely do with a tablet as long as you have the needed accessories. Examine how you use your netbook and the next time you're ready to upgrade, find the system that will fit your usage. One thing in-particular is if you are a really heavy typer on your netbook, you'll probably want to look for a solution that gives you a physical keyboard setup and a stand to hold up the tablet while you're typing. Since most of the iPad options are just some kind of generic looking stand and a bluetooth keyboard, a lot of them are likely to work with most other tablets but you'll probably want to test them before buying. And of course there's the ASUS option.
  4. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #44  
    I find it strange that someone is asking OTHERS why he needs a tablet! If you don't know why you need one then obviously you don't need it. If you need something, you'll know you need it. I get really puzzled by these kind of threads, not sure what we're supposed to respond without trying to sell them a product we're not even affiliated with!
  5. #45  
    Maybe he's trying to figure out if the hype is worth it. I read somewhere else that despite all the advertising and attention, only about 5% own a tablet. I wasn't going to buy an iPad either, until I realized I can leave my laptop home, when outside the house.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #46  
    Yeah you need one because it's cool. Do you need any other reason? The bold, daring, young, beautiful and hip have them, while the grumpy, old, the boring, safe, shy introverts, stick with desktops and laptops.
  7. #47  
    There are many younger than me still taking laptops to the coffee houses around here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #48  
    Really, what it comes down to for laptop vs. tablet are a few things:

    1. What do you use your laptop/tablet for?
    2. Is this a work or personal purchase?
    3. What is your flexibility for using the cloud for storage?

    Encryption and data backup are entirely different issues and can be related to both.

    I don't think I am a good candidate for a tablet right now. I have too much in pictures and music to cloud store for free. My work laptop cannot be replaced by a tablet - corporate doesn't support them. I use my phone for basic browsing and a kindle for e-reading already.

    However, for me, maybe in the future when cloud is more available and I am not supporting multiple computers at home for the family. Also, when I can do all my financial work online or something like that. Thus, today is a no but the future holds promise. Now, if HP wanted to give me one to make things right .... Sorry, just had to throw that in.
    Dan
  9. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe he's trying to figure out if the hype is worth it. I read somewhere else that despite all the advertising and attention, only about 5% own a tablet. I wasn't going to buy an iPad either, until I realized I can leave my laptop home, when outside the house.
    Yes but seeing through the hype and realising if HE personally NEEDS something is very different. How should we know what his day to day life involves from waking up to going to sleep. That's what he needs to look at to realise that he needs a tablet or not. Example, I decided I needed a light portable device for browsing the web, checking emails, reading e-books, doing quick sketches, and playing some games now and again on the move. Something that is instant on and instant off. Netbook too chunky, phone screen too small. Hey presto, I myself realised I needed a tablet! How could anyone else have told me what I needed
  10. #50  
    Don't forget if you are going to be using a new WebOS phone the TP gives you touch to share (possibly allowing you to get the smaller veer for free and using the tablet when you need the bigger screen, this once again depends on how you use your phone and computers right now).

    Personally I would like a tablet at some point because our portable computers are 2nd hand or REALLY old. The Netbook we have is decently quick but the screen size kills me for web browsing a tablet is a little more in the sweet spot for browsing around the house. In general, I know I don't need one but I do like to have access around the house and on the go. I would rather not carry around a full size laptop or the netbook, I like the size of a tablet and the ability to pair with a BT keyboard when needed.

    The big key for me is the touch to share and synergy. The touchpad should replace the netbook and even the laptop, leaving my networked desktops (and with citrix on board I am guessing we will be seeing "Go To My PC", for those that need it).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Yes but seeing through the hype and realising if HE personally NEEDS something is very different. How should we know what his day to day life involves from waking up to going to sleep. That's what he needs to look at to realise that he needs a tablet or not. Example, I decided I needed a light portable device for browsing the web, checking emails, reading e-books, doing quick sketches, and playing some games now and again on the move. Something that is instant on and instant off. Netbook too chunky, phone screen too small. Hey presto, I myself realised I needed a tablet! How could anyone else have told me what I needed
    But that's exactly what I got from his post. He's asking if the hype is all worth it. Maybe I misread it, but I thought he was saying he didn't really see a NEED to shell out $500. He could get by with other devices. He may just want one, not exactly need it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I disagree with that. One of the killer apps of at least some of the tablets out there is very large battery life. I can find no laptop that has 10 hours of actual, actively used battery life. If you find yourself needing portable computing battery life, a tablet might be darn useful. (Assuming, of course, that you can deal with the tradeoffs that come with the increased battery life.)

    N.B. I do not own a tablet. But battery life is what attracts me to them.
    I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell Mini 10v with their large battery and I easily get 8+ hours of constant computing, which is equal to most tablets. You can check out tablet battery comparison here. Not many tablets make the 8 hour mark. The iPad does no doubt due to the single core processor. There is no tablet I could buy for what I paid for my Mini 10v.

    CNET Compares 6 Tablets in Battery Life and Web Load Speed | Tablets.com | Tablet Computer Reviews | Tablet PC Comparisons and Tablets Shopping
  13. #53  
    I don't understand tablets either. I think it's just a fad. If i ever had to give someone advice on what to buy: laptop or tablet, I would say laptop every time. The fact is that a laptop can do everything a tablet can, plus a million more things, and you can do it on a laptop much more easily and for a cheaper price.

    If you own a laptop, I really don't see any point in getting a tablet. And if you don't own a laptop nor a tablet, I would say get a laptop. I think tablets are kind of pointless. They're more like a big smartphone without the phone. And they're way overpriced. They're cool 'toys', but I don't think they have any practical use which is why I believe they will die out.

    When I think about my potential uses for a tablet, I say, maybe I could use it to take some quick notes in a meeting. But then I think about it, this could be much more easily accomplished with my laptop or even a pen and paper. I could say it would be a good e reader device, but then I think, If i only use it for reading, I should just get a kindle with an e-ink screen.

    The fact is that there is no real practical use for a tablet. The only thing I think maybe it could have an advantage over a laptop is in watching a movie in bed. I still do that all the time on my laptop, or even my smartphone, but a tablet might be able to do it better. And it's not worth buying a tablet to watch movies in bed at marginally more comfortable position. So that's why I think tablets are just a fad and will die out. But who really knows?
  14. #54  
    ^ That's a lot of opinion masquerading as "fact" there. A tablet isn't for you; that's clear. But I hate the line of thought that goes: "I can't think of any use for them, therefore no one else can, either."

    In my opinion, unless someone's used a tablet of some kind for at least a few weeks, he's not qualified to speak on their utility. Again, IMO.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ That's a lot of opinion masquerading as "fact" there. A tablet isn't for you; that's clear. But I hate the line of thought that goes: "I can't think of any use for them, therefore no one else can, either."

    In my opinion, unless someone's used a tablet of some kind for at least a few weeks, he's not qualified to speak on their utility. Again, IMO.
    well give me a situation in which i would use a tablet where it would be beneficial or easier to use the tablet instead of a laptop
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    well give me a situation in which i would use a tablet where it would be beneficial or easier to use the tablet instead of a laptop
    Personally, cooking. When I can afford a tablet I plan on having a place to mount it on a cabinet door so I can use it while cooking. I don't like leaving the netbook or laptop on the counter when I am doing a lot of cooking. With the bluetooth keyboard I could have it close enough that when I need to note something I could do that, while the touchpad is still in view for recipe viewing or what not.

    For most of what I use my laptop or netbook for, I can do with a tablet, while carrying around a smaller overall package. In the case of the TP, the tablet can be used to "answer" calls and respond to text messages, this means when I am doing what I need to do on something that is not a smartphone I do not have to have my phone around with me as well (see cooking above).

    TP is multi touch, so there is a lot of practical aspects there that a laptop or netbook cannot accomplish. I am thinking field work in some kind of design (artistic, industrial, construction, landscaping, etc).


    The key problem in your argument "a laptop can do everything a tablet can and 1000 more", I have desktops, when I need a computer I go to a desktop that can do more than my portable computers. The TP will replace the netbook/laptop in the mobile area with a bigger more useable screen than the netbook.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Personally, cooking. When I can afford a tablet I plan on having a place to mount it on a cabinet door so I can use it while cooking. I don't like leaving the netbook or laptop on the counter when I am doing a lot of cooking. With the bluetooth keyboard I could have it close enough that when I need to note something I could do that, while the touchpad is still in view for recipe viewing or what not.

    For most of what I use my laptop or netbook for, I can do with a tablet, while carrying around a smaller overall package. In the case of the TP, the tablet can be used to "answer" calls and respond to text messages, this means when I am doing what I need to do on something that is not a smartphone I do not have to have my phone around with me as well (see cooking above).

    TP is multi touch, so there is a lot of practical aspects there that a laptop or netbook cannot accomplish. I am thinking field work in some kind of design (artistic, industrial, construction, landscaping, etc).


    The key problem in your argument "a laptop can do everything a tablet can and 1000 more", I have desktops, when I need a computer I go to a desktop that can do more than my portable computers. The TP will replace the netbook/laptop in the mobile area with a bigger more useable screen than the netbook.
    Okay, i could see how cooking might be easier with a tablet. For me personally, I would probably print out the recipe. But to each his own. I still think a tablet is a luxury device that is way too overpriced to be successful in the long term, but we'll see.
  18. #58  
    I use my Kindle for cooking, easy recipe storage on there. I also use the headphones that come with the Pre, answers calls easy enough and you can cook and dance to music, too, because cooking is boring on its own.

    It's really not that serious. If you're struggling to come up with a reason to blow $500 on a tablet, then a tablet is not for you. I do a lot of movie watching, typing, browsing, coding, downloading and leaving 15 tabs open on my laptop. I have a hard enough time typing on my sister's 10'' netbook and I don't feel like transferring content between the laptop and the tablet. I rarely hook up my Pre because it's a PITA (especially with those indexing bugs). The tablet for me would just be a $500 Netflix-ready device, used as I would use a Pre3 but costing $200 more. Pretty simple.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    Okay, i could see how cooking might be easier with a tablet. For me personally, I would probably print out the recipe. But to each his own. I still think a tablet is a luxury device that is way too overpriced to be successful in the long term, but we'll see.
    I agree at some level, because being on these forums we are all involved in some kind of "luxury device". I would rather be able to access info on the go, I am probably not gonna explain this right, but I dont want paper and ink... I want to be able to at ease change recipes and information. I tweak recipes, I consider myself to be a pretty good chef, it would be nice for me to have easy notes and recipe tweaks at hand. Then add touch to share, where I could send my recipe/grocery list to my WebOS device, I have now eliminated a netbook/laptop and got things it never could have done...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20.    #60  
    Thanks for all the feedback. There was some very interesting conversation. I DID find a reason to make it worthwhile for ME (meaning not YOU as you may have plenty of your own legit reasons) to buy a tablet. Unfortunately the TouchPad doesn't meet the requirement.

    I carry a sketch book and mechanical pencil around with me so I can draw whenever I find some free time. When I am at home, I scan drawings into my PC so that I can refine and color them in Photoshop Essentials. I use a Wacom drawing pad and stylus attached to my PC. Keep in mind, this is for a personal project. It is not part of my day job. Now if I had a tablet, I would be able to conveniently do both pieces wherever I go in my spare time. The only thing is that I would not want to draw with my finger as is done on the iPad because I could not see underneath my finger. I did find that Wacom makes a stylus for the iPad. However, it is just a piece of rubber designed to emulate a finger by having a finger width tip. So I would still have problems seeing under it. Also, the iPad cannot sense the amount of pressure exerted on the pen for doing things like light shades versus dark,etc. I discovered that the only tablet that can use a thin stylus with pressure sensitivity like my Wacom board, is the HTC Flyer.

    Unfortunately, there are ALL kinds of problems with the Flyer. The pen is not included with the $500, 7" tablet. It costs another $80. There is no drawing app that can be used with it, LOL. HTC doesn't include one and 3rd party apps don't support it because it is unique to the Flyer hardware. Apparently it is just for handwriting in the included notepad which has only 8 colors!! I'll pass for now and keep my eye on the evolution of tablets.

    HTC Flyer Is a Decent Tablet With a Pointless Stylus | Product Reviews | Wired.com
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions