Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Laptop theft rate is very high and TSA dropping or damaging laptops has been noted. Also border confiscations. Where do you want your business info ending up?
    And this wouldn't happen with Tablets? I travel frequently and I need my laptop for work..so I should leave my laptop at home and take my tablet? This theory doesn't make much since to me..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    You don't need to have your whole life on the tablet. Just the documents you need. Also I've seen remote location apps for the iPad(not sure about Android). You can access your documents without them even being on you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That's good practices, but if it's stolen, you're still screwed big time.
    You're "screwed big time" if any mobile device is stolen. There's no difference if it's a laptop or a tablet except that tablets can actually be harder to encrypt sensitive data on.
    Can laptops be remotely wiped like a device running a mobile OS can? I'm not up on the latest in security measures for suits.
    Funny thing about remote wiping a device, if it's prevented from accessing a network, you can't wipe it. If we're talking about protecting data from someone with advanced skills, high level encryption is your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    You're "screwed big time" if any mobile device is stolen. There's no difference if it's a laptop or a tablet except that tablets can actually be harder to encrypt sensitive data on.
    Remote erase is often available for mobile devices.

Someone beat me to it though, lol. But preventing it from accessing the network is hard for thieves. They seem to have an urge to actually use the devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    And this wouldn't happen with Tablets? I travel frequently and I need my laptop for work..so I should leave my laptop at home and take my tablet? This theory doesn't make much since to me..
    Not doing a very good job of selling tablets there...

Although since you work for Palm, you might have more knowledge of how a Touchpad can replace a laptop than we do, and since you're saying it doesn't make sense using a tablet over a laptop... Things aren't looking good.
    Remote erase is often available for mobile devices.

Someone beat me to it though, lol. But preventing it from accessing the network is hard for thieves. They seem to have an urge to actually use the devices.
    If we're talking about petty thieves wanting the hardware, as long as your data in encrypted then it doesn't matter which device you're talking about, they won't be able to access it whether it can be wiped or not.

But you brought up theft of business info. If that is someone's goal, then the first thing they'd want to do is make sure the device can't be remotely wiped by isolating it from any networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

Although since you work for Palm, you might have more knowledge of how a Touchpad can replace a laptop than we do, and since you're saying it doesn't make sense using a tablet over a laptop... Things aren't looking good.
    Considering how iPads are outselling Macbooks and they're also hurting PC shipments, I ... see your point?

Tablets are a big part of the future of computing, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

You don't have to sell a tablet to EVERYONE to be successful. I don't want a 3d tv, but I don't have doubts that it will do well...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    You don't have to sell a tablet to EVERYONE to be successful. I don't want a 3d tv, but I don't have doubts that it will do well...
    I don't know, I think the 3d tvs are really being held back by those active shutter glasses. Maybe when they start putting out displays that allow passive glasses, especially for those of us that need real glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Considering how iPads are outselling Macbooks and they're also hurting PC shipments, I ... see your point?

Tablets are a big part of the future of computing, people.
    Tablets are fun little devices and the niche they can fill the most is the one filled by netbooks. High sales of consumer tablets right off the bat isn't that unexpected since they're "the new thing". Once that wears off then we'll see where they truly end up landing in the market.
    If we're talking about petty thieves wanting the hardware, as long as your data in encrypted then it doesn't matter which device you're talking about, they won't be able to access it whether it can be wiped or not.

But you brought up theft of business info. If that is someone's goal, then the first thing they'd want to do is make sure the device can't be remotely wiped by isolating it from any networks.
    Well, how do you stop a cell phone or tablet from accessing the network but still want to snoop on calls, emails, texts, etc.?
    Unless you keep the device in airplane mode and are only going to use what is stored already on the device. Daily deletions of sensitive info comes in handy there, . Though emails may be hard to delete since you may need to reference and reply to those.

iPad/iPhone allows wiping on the device after 10 bad password tries too. I'm guessing though if someone is serious, there is a way around this from what what I've read. A forensic device.

But the reason I think it's best to leave the laptop at home and carry only what you need is, someone will be limited to what they can access, if at all. And it's far easier to remotely control a mobile than a laptop.

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts
    I was thinking about getting a TP for the fall semester for school. Great idea or not? All I have at home is a desktop, and all of my books for the semester will be pdf. I figure if I need to type a paper I can do it on my desktop and if I need to do any editing, then I could use the TP. Will it have any editing software?
    I'm old enough to remember when there were no home computers, laptops, cellphones, calculators ( wow, I'm really bumming myself out right now! ) and we still managed to get by. Do we need any of these items? Not really, but they sure are FUN to have! I'm going to get a Touchpad just because I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    I was thinking about getting a TP for the fall semester for school. Great idea or not? All I have at home is a desktop, and all of my books for the semester will be pdf. I figure if I need to type a paper I can do it on my desktop and if I need to do any editing, then I could use the TP. Will it have any editing software?
    I only graduated college a few years back, but tablets were still a rarity back then, and none of them worked well for school. I'd have killed for something like the TouchPad in those days.

Still, I think you need to ask yourself which tablet is going to work best for you. Most schools (at the moment) are developing for/supporting iOS. HP is probably going to make a big push to change that, but it'll take a while. So I'd look into what you're going to need/want in the way of school support (Blackboard, etc) and see if the TP can handle those needs. Do the research, and when the TouchPad launches, go use it side-by-side with an iPad and see what you can and can't do with both.

PDFs should be no problem, IMO. HP isn't dumb enough to launch this thing without a working PDF reader.

If you have or are planning to get a webOS phone, I'd say that's a big incentive to go TouchPad over iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMamma View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when there were no home computers, laptops, cellphones, calculators ( wow, I'm really bumming myself out right now! ) and we still managed to get by. Do we need any of these items? Not really, but they sure are FUN to have! I'm going to get a Touchpad just because I want one.
    Yea, I'd probably be bumped out too if I pre-dated this:

i don't think there is really a NEED for tablets anywhere. But they have ample computing power for consuming media, long battery lives, boot quickly, and a more flexible form factor. you don't have to fool around with anti-virus software (generally), and my experience is that web apps are more enjoyable on mobile devices than on their respective websites. that strength can be further leveraged with more screen space.

yes laptops are portable, but can be more of a hassle. I always think of being at an airport, fooling around with the chargers and longer boot times. I'd much rather quickly whip out my tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i don't think there is really a NEED for tablets anywhere. But they have ample computing power for consuming media, long battery lives, boot quickly, and a more flexible form factor. you don't have to fool around with anti-virus software (generally), and my experience is that web apps are more enjoyable on mobile devices than on their respective websites. that strength can be further leveraged with more screen space.

yes laptops are portable, but can be more of a hassle. I always think of being at an airport, fooling around with the chargers and longer boot times. I'd much rather quickly whip out my tablet.
    You honestly don't need to "fool" around with anti-virus software on a laptop either. Install something with a small system foot print and you're done, I use MSE most of the time.

The "hassle" of a laptop is going to depend on the laptop you pick and if you bog it down by letting it auto start unnecessary items. Pick out a good one and it won't be any real hassle. Mobile OS tablets can have a situational advantage of being quick to screen-on if in Sleep mode but really slow if you had to boot them from power off. I think the ULV/smartphone combo gives more convinced than toting around a tablet that might not meet my needs and could have harder to manage security issues when operating on an open WiFi network. If you setup swappable power profiles that can make better use of the battery power, messing around with chargers is much less of an issue. Not like I need my CPU turbo boosting when I'm surfing web pages....
    You honestly don't need to "fool" around with anti-virus software on a laptop either. Install something with a small system foot print and you're done, I use MSE most of the time.

The "hassle" of a laptop is going to depend on the laptop you pick and if you bog it down by letting it auto start unnecessary items. Pick out a good one and it won't be any real hassle. Mobile OS tablets can have a situational advantage of being quick to screen-on if in Sleep mode but really slow if you had to boot them from power off. I think the ULV/smartphone combo gives more convinced than toting around a tablet that might not meet my needs and could have harder to manage security issues when operating on an open WiFi network. Especially if you setup swappable power profiles that can make better use of the battery power. Not like I need my CPU turbo boosting when I'm surfing web pages.
    You and me might be comfortable with dealing with that kind of customization (and we might even enjoy optimizing our systems in that way), but the average consumer wants nothing to do with any part of those two paragraphs.

Seriously, put that up against the instructions for a tablet running a mobile OS:

1. Power on.
    2. Do what you want.
    3. Power down.

Which one would you pick?
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    You and me might be comfortable with dealing with that kind of customization (and we might even enjoy optimizing our systems in that way), but the average consumer wants nothing to do with any part of those two paragraphs.

Seriously, put that up against the instructions for a tablet running a mobile OS:

1. Power on.
    2. Do what you want.
    3. Power down.

Which one would you pick?
    Imo, the average consumer doesn't want to think about anything longer than 5 seconds before making a decision. But then again we're not exactly talking about the average consumer in this thread.

But there are people out there that don't need the power of a portable PC, and a tablet will be good for them once they're as cost effective as a netbook. Personally, I'd have to say that the only tablet I've seen as truly enticing at this point is the Transformer because it pushes more into that "high-end" netbook price range plus offers that really nice dock option for keyboard interface and more than doubling the battery life of the device in a very convenient package.

So if I didn't need the power of a PC, Power on, do what I want, then let it fall back to sleep is pretty inviting. Though it is less than inviting if I needed a cell connection given how cell carriers are attempting to gouge data customers right now.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast