Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I firmly believe that this is attainable and that it should have been baked into webOS 3.0 coming out this summer...

What I am talking about it having a "snap" feature, similar to the one found on windows 7 PCs.

For example, I am in card view. I want to write and email, but need to take some notes from a website for reference. So i woould basically drag the card and "snap" it on the left hand side of the screen in which it maximizes the the card to cover the left hand side of the screen. Then do the same to the email card and "snap" it to the right.

I now have 2 active cards running at the same time and can truly multitask on the TP.

Since webOS is scalable, when a card is "snapped" to either the left or right, the other portion of the screen can scale to remain in card view. This would be a killer feature in addition an already awesome card system.

EDIT: Added pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 05/22/2011 at 05:03 PM.
    I would LOVE to see this capability.
    Yes actually that is a great point and would make things interesting multitasking wise. WebOS keeps making transitions and headway from what they used to do to what they are doing now, so anything is possible. Hopefully soon, Sorli...
    It should at least be evaluated for the Touchpad.
    Nice idea.
  6. TMJ
    Love the idea, how about have two text conversations open at once....is that possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ View Post
    Love the idea, how about have two text conversations open at once....is that possible?
    There was a patch to allowed this for phones. I assume that it could be adapted for use on the TouchPad.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ View Post
    I think there is already a homebrew patch for this already (on webOS phones for now) but obviously not with the "snap" feature I am proposing.
  9. TMJ
    Awesome I'll have to look for it, would save me even more time.
    I have also thought of this and it became more of a reality when the Mock-up contest started awhile back. It would be 2 portrait cards when the device it self would be in landscape and 2 landscape cards when the devices is held portrait.

The fact of the matter is that you can't really call it multitasking unless you can truly do multiple tasks at once. Once this is added to WebOS it will be the first device in the consumer market that will be able to run and simulate two apps at once. Having a multitouch screen adds abilities that even desktop computers will never be able to do because you can interact with two programs at once because you have 2 hands. But the biggest part of reality here is, as you said, WebOS is already setup to do this because it can already scale the cards. It isn't like you have to completely restructure WebOS to do this. WebOS would seriously be 5 years ahead of every other Operating System out there, whether it be mobile or not. It maybe to late for this to be added at the time of the touchPad's launch but I seriously want some kind of beta or alpha look at this by the end of this year, if not, HPalm needs some internal restructuring.

I don't think I can stress how important this is to WebOS but what I can say is that if you are an HP employee, take this down in your notes and make sure Ruby or someone higher gets a wiff of it. This is what "We the Consumers and Customers" want. That is the highest priority of a company: To make the customers happy.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I think there is already a homebrew patch for this already (on webOS phones for now) but obviously not with the "snap" feature I am proposing.
    Right, the "snap" feature would require that you be able to interact with apps in card view. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $TouchPad$ $doesn$'$t$ $do$ $that$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $really$ $hoping$ $that$ $will$ $be$ $something$ $they$ $can$ $add$ $as$ $the$ $platform$ $matures$, $but$ $only$ $for$ $applications$ $that$ $make$ $sense$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I would LOVE to see this capability.
    I concur!
    definitely a +1 for this kind of a feature!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Right, the "snap" feature would require that you be able to interact with apps in card view. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $TouchPad$ $doesn$'$t$ $do$ $that$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $really$ $hoping$ $that$ $will$ $be$ $something$ $they$ $can$ $add$ $as$ $the$ $platform$ $matures$, $but$ $only$ $for$ $applications$ $that$ $make$ $sense$.
    Actually, I am pretty sure you can. Just click and hold and card, and you can rearrange apps into stacks, out of stacks, or just move the around.

I am not proposing to interact with cards in the minimize card view, but to maximize the card to take up the whole left-hand side of the screen and scale the right hand of the screen to turn into the new card view area where you can scroll through cards on the right-hand side.

The "snap" feature would lock the card at its maximized size on the right hand of the screen.
    I think this is an incredible idea. Our multitasking is already the best in the market, but this would take it to an entirely new level. I think it would give the TouchPad a very clear marketing advantage, something which I do not think the TouchPad currently has.
  16.    #16  
    I made a quick drawing to show you what I mean. Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IIRC, that dual-screened android phone can run two apps at once. But seeing this ability come to tablets and webOS specifically would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I have also thought of this and it became more of a reality when the Mock-up contest started awhile back. It would be 2 portrait cards when the device it self would be in landscape and 2 landscape cards when the devices is held portrait.

The fact of the matter is that you can't really call it multitasking unless you can truly do multiple tasks at once. Once this is added to WebOS it will be the first device in the consumer market that will be able to run and simulate two apps at once. Having a multitouch screen adds abilities that even desktop computers will never be able to do because you can interact with two programs at once because you have 2 hands. But the biggest part of reality here is, as you said, WebOS is already setup to do this because it can already scale the cards. It isn't like you have to completely restructure WebOS to do this. WebOS would seriously be 5 years ahead of every other Operating System out there, whether it be mobile or not. It maybe to late for this to be added at the time of the touchPad's launch but I seriously want some kind of beta or alpha look at this by the end of this year, if not, HPalm needs some internal restructuring.

I don't think I can stress how important this is to WebOS but what I can say is that if you are an HP employee, take this down in your notes and make sure Ruby or someone higher gets a wiff of it. This is what "We the Consumers and Customers" want. That is the highest priority of a company: To make the customers happy.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    With resizeable widgets in android 3.1, you can already do some of that in a xoom.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I was thinking of this myself the other night, and agree it'd be a great feature (perhaps the only standout feature of the TouchPad in fact). The Snap tool in Windows 7 is really handy, and right now, webOS's "true multitasking," isn't much more useful than Honeycomb's Recent Apps list. Having used Honeycomb a little bit, I struggle to think of a situation where that implementation of multitasking isn't every bit as good as webOS's. THIS would be a clear point of difference though, and something which would push the tablet form factor a little more towards desktop functionality.

The frustrating thing is, it's such a huge differentiator and presumably so easy to implement given the existing multitasking setup in webOS (all we've had in 2 years to improve on this has been Stacks - really guys!?) it's almost crazy not to do it. Snap one window to one side, card view opens to the other side. Snap another card to the other side, you're in dual view mode. Swipe up to get back to card view (if the TouchPad had a gesture area...) with the two large ghosted/faded out cards in the foreground. Swipe them off the sides of the screen to return to "normal," sized cards in card view. Easy, and brilliant.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    With resizeable widgets in android 3.1, you can already do some of that in a xoom.
    Indeed, particularly as they're scrollable. webOS is losing whatever edge it once had rapidly now.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast