Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    IIRC, that dual-screened android phone can run two apps at once. But seeing this ability come to tablets and webOS specifically would be sweet.
    Exactly! The way I see it, why have 2 screens when you could just have one big screen with no bar in the middle. The only reason for the 2 screens would be for portability.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I made a quick drawing to show you what I mean. Here you go
    Yup, just what I was thinking. However, could be a more intuitive way that to have the half app, half card view. I think that what you could add to that is when you add the first app, make it a transparent overlay ontop of card view. When you add the second is when it does some cool eye candy to make them both live. The card has to be really transparent so you can still see and navigate. Like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - John Wayne
    Nicely done Rennat
    Not tryin to steal any credit but I thought about this a while back, exactly as you described.

I give you one bajillion +1's
    this would be awesome. i saw another poster come up with similar sketches a while back. but still i great idea, and it seems like something that could be possible.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Not tryin to steal any credit but I thought about this a while back, exactly as you described.

I give you one bajillion +1's
    Not stealing, unless you thought of this before 7/2010

I thought of this a while ago (actually waaay ahead of the 2/9 annoucnment) and I decided to refresh my original idea

http://forums.precentral.net/general...asic-pics.html
    Not stealing, unless you thought of this before 7/2010

I thought of this a while ago (actually waaay ahead of the 2/9 annoucnment) and I decided to refresh my original idea

http://forums.precentral.net/general...asic-pics.html
    so it was you all along...

i think this would have been a perfect opportunity for a gesture area. This coming from someone who's feelings were as-of-yet unhurt by it being removed from the TouchPad. just for giggles, how would we implement this feature with the current hardware?

I say "holding the home button" should be reserved for this feature:

holding the home button will snap your current card to the left of the device, and bring the right of your device to card view. The next card you select will occupy the right side.

holding the home button again will allow you to rearrange your two foreground apps. At this point, swiping up on one of them would discard it for good (as usual), and allow you to select another secondary app. swiping down on one of them would return the card to your workspace with the others, and allow you to select another secondary app.

tapping the home button would simply minimize everything to card view (as usual)

simple enough right?
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/23/2011 at 05:44 PM.
    love this idea. wish there was a way to send suggestions straight to the head designers at HP. :P

hopefully some of them will see this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    so it was you all along...

i think this would have been a perfect opportunity for a gesture area. This coming from someone who's feelings were as-of-yet unhurt by it being removed from the TouchPad. just for giggles, how would we implement this feature with the current hardware?

I say "holding the home button" should be reserved for this feature:

holding the home button will snap your current card to the left of the device, and bring the right of your device to card view. The next card you select will occupy the right side.

holding the home button again will allow you to rearrange your two foreground apps. At this point, swiping up on one of them would discard it for good (as usual), and allow you to select another secondary app. swiping down on one of them would return the card to your workspace with the others, and allow you to select another secondary app.

tapping the home button would simply minimize everything to card view (as usual)

simple enough right?
    That's also a good way of keeping all the gestures simple. I'm also guessing that the user would just have to tap on an app to switch the keyboard input. Some sort of distinctive border could be displayed around the app that has the keyboard.
    I am going to assume this is already in future plans. I really don't see how it wouldn't be, it is the quintessential 'multitasking' feature, as previously mentioned. Anyone with two monitors, or one with W7 knows how great this is for many applications.

However, I would expect it is probably a really huge feature and may not be seen until the TouchPad has been out for a while. Like webOS 3.5, when the TouchPad 2 is released. I hope I'm wrong though. With HP's ramping up in the webOS department, I would hope this could be achievable by the end of the year when HP starts to ship webOS on PCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That's also a good way of keeping all the gestures simple. I'm also guessing that the user would just have to tap on an app to switch the keyboard input. Some sort of distinctive border could be displayed around the app that has the keyboard.
    i assume the keyboard will appear anytime you tap on a text feild like in the feb9 demo... but you just made me realize something. without a physical keyboard, the search functions in some mojo apps wont work unless they are updated to include text fields.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Love the idea. I would call it "dock" or "clip" or another word that conjures up 'stoppage' . In my mind "snap" conjures up 'start' or a change of state from 'stop' to 'in motion with great velocity'.

In fact, I would suggest that the behavior the OP suggests could be called "half-maximumize" ( ) which is "maximize to cover the available screen" to borrow the expression from Compiz.

Of course it could also be described as "(direction)-maximumized", ie left-maximumized or top-maximumized. Great extension to the card metaphor, imho. Of course
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Love the idea. I would call it "dock" or "clip" or another word that conjures up 'stoppage' . In my mind "snap" conjures up 'start' or a change of state from 'stop' to 'in motion with great velocity'.

In fact, I would suggest that the behavior the OP suggests could be called "half-maximumize" ( ) which is "maximize to cover the available screen" to borrow the expression from Compiz.

Of course it could also be described as "(direction)-maximumized", ie left-maximumized or top-maximumized. Great extension to the card metaphor, imho. Of course
    really? when i think of "snap" i think of something snapping into place...its fixed, stationary.
  14.    #34  
    Microsoft unveils Windows 8 (video) -- Engadget

at 2:18 windows 8 is already making this come to fruition!!

I need to bill them for my idea.

Sorry, you're late. Windows 7 already has a quick split screen/windows feature!

i was gonna post this.. i hate it that HP/Palm keeps getting beat to the punch. Looks like MS is using a bit of a gesture area as well!

you can be in the next windows ad campaign "windows 8, it was my idea"
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i was gonna post this.. i hate it that HP/Palm keeps getting beat to the punch. Looks like MS is using a bit of a gesture area as well!

you can be in the next windows ad campaign "windows 8, it was my idea"
    HAHAHAHHA

But windows 8 likes really awesome. WP7 looked cool, but it didnt entice me enough to leave webOS. If 1 year from now webOS does not have any traction, I will probably make the switch.
    HAHAHAHHA

But windows 8 likes really awesome. WP7 looked cool, but it didnt entice me enough to leave webOS. If 1 year from now webOS does not have any traction, I will probably make the switch.
    watching the demo again, i dont foresee any truly impressive apps being developed for the Touch Layer on windows 8. Its all HTML5 based stuff, so it will probably only be good for widgets, media players, and casual games. all of the powerful applications will be traditional windows apps, and much less user friendly on tablets.

we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    love this idea. wish there was a way to send suggestions straight to the head designers at HP. :P

hopefully some of them will see this post.
    There is! Although they may not be the head devs. Everyone go to the below link and send in this suggestion! LIKE NOW!!!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Yup, just what I was thinking. However, could be a more intuitive way that to have the half app, half card view. I think that what you could add to that is when you add the first app, make it a transparent overlay ontop of card view. When you add the second is when it does some cool eye candy to make them both live. The card has to be really transparent so you can still see and navigate. Like this:
    Why not go all the way have both active cards with no overlay so that you can scroll either card or both at the same time. However when you tap into a text field the virtual keyboard moves to the card where that field was activated?

That would allow a user to write an email while reading a webpage, PDF or another email at the same time and scroll what your reading as your typing without interfering.

I find myself referring to past emails or web pages when writing an email this would be a valuable feature that I can not do currently on Win7. It would actually make me want to use a WebOS device over my laptop.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast