Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    More webOS devices = more win.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I'd buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

And if that’s the case, Sony, Motorola and Samsung might be interested in another mobile OS, one that would preserve their premium brand.

Which is where HP’s webOS comes in.
    Hah, what goes around comes around indeed if they do this. Samsung & Sony did license PalmOS way back in early 2000-ish. Matter of fact it's the licensing contentions that made Palm split to PalmSource (software) and PalmOne (hardware). Why would they relive the same old sordid story again?
    Besides historically Samsung, Sony & Motorola will use any flavor of the year OS. If Apple license iOS, they would make iOS handsets.
    I don't think I would license webOS if I were HP. Look what happened to Android, the same can happen to webOS - the brand gets devalued. It is good to go after the high end and keep both control and make it a little exclusive.

In other words: you make more selling BMW's than Chevy's.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Right now I'd be for it just because it seems to be taking forever to get the hardware, but I have a feeling HP has a ton of new devices (high end) in development that they are going to announce shortly after the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Don't do it... I don't want cookie cutters. I'm happy with unique devices.
    I don't want to wait 239 years just to get one device from HP that could be a hit or miss. Would rather have multiple manufacturers releasing webOS handsets at an Android pace... more market reach and more choices for us! I just don't want to play the waiting game anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I don't want to wait 239 years just to get one device from HP that could be a hit or miss. Would rather have multiple manufacturers releasing webOS handsets at an Android pace... more market reach and more choices for us! I just don't want to play the waiting game anymore.
    This.

I’d gladly take a row full of WebOS devices, some with custom UI overlays vs one little, outdated option sitting in the corner with no one buying it and no reason for developers to develop for it (Pre2 I’m looking right at you over in that dark, dusty corner of the VZW store with no one playing with you…)

-Suntan
    Honestly, I like the fact that the Touchpad and WebOS phones are very unique. I don't like having what everyone else already has. Licensing would be great for expansion of product but then suddenly HP could lose control of updates and that's been a mess with Android. Every other day there's a new Android device coming out. I've lost count. Anyway, I even thought that a little "cool' factor was lost when HP purchased Palm. Because Palm was unique (dying, but unique). This is coming from someone who owns a Palm Lifedrive LOL
    "webOS has no fragmentation at all" was noted somewhere above. Yeah, there's no webOS 1.4.x, webOS 2.x, webOS 3.x going on right now.

Anyway, if HP is smart, they would only license webOS to one or maybe two other major manufacturers. Otherwise, they'd risk being just like Android when everybody adopts it. Based on their handling of Android so far, I'd really, really prefer it wasn't Samsung.
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    Licensing would be great for expansion of product but then suddenly HP could lose control of updates and that's been a mess with Android.
    Hi all,

1. couldn't HP not allow the splintering that is happening with Android, buy not allowing any customization of webOS by firms that licence it?

2. This way the licensed products would be competing on hardware and not OS & hardware.

3. HP should also require that only current builds or version of webOS be used...

IE. Either late last year or early this year an Android product was released as a new product using a version of 'Droid OS that was dropped about 2 years before.....HP shouldn't allow new products using webOS under license to be rolled out with an outdated build or version of webOS...unless it can be upgraded right away.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    'They’re starting realize that their Android devices [are no different] in the eyes of the customer [than a] $20 Android Phone from Huawei,” Chowdhry says. “They’re worried that Android may dilute their global brand as customers put them in the same bucket with Acer, Asus, ZTE, Huawei, and MediaTek.”
    This could just mean that they start marketing their phones by the names of the crappy customizations they each do to the UI. You already see this with some of the phones on FB posts, it doesn't say "Posted by FB for Android", it's like "Posted By TouchWiz" or something like that.

If WebOS is licensed it should be as is, none of this each manufacturer adding their own customization. The thing I don't like about licensing is the whole update process, it would be HP, manufacturer, then carrier. Also this *could* lead to the licensed phones not having official doctors if customization is allowed because then HP *may* not own 100% of the software on the phone thus not having the ability to host and release it as they see fit.

Of course this is all just speculation, in the end it would depend on what the licensing contract contains. I would still like to see what HP can do with this before licensing, the resources are there.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    If HP does this, I suspect they'll only it license it to one or two OEMs. Secondly, HP would probably do what Microsoft has done and that is to tell the OEMs that they can't add their own custom skin on top of webOS. This would make updates more easier to come by.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

1. couldn't HP not allow the splintering that is happening with Android, buy not allowing any customization of webOS by firms that licence it?

2. This way the licensed products would be competing on hardware and not OS & hardware.

3. HP should also require that only current builds or version of webOS be used...

IE. Either late last year or early this year an Android product was released as a new product using a version of 'Droid OS that was dropped about 2 years before.....HP shouldn't allow new products using webOS under license to be rolled out with an outdated build or version of webOS...unless it can be upgraded right away.

take care,

Jay
    Jay, I believe Microsoft is handling WP7 just as you state in #1. No producer of a phone has customized the UI as far as I know. This is a requirement of MS to resellers of windows and suspect it's also a requirement for WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    This is a requirement of MS to resellers of windows
    Really? My Win7 box I bought a lil while back had some HP/Compaq (it's a Compaq) software that I had to disable. Also I am pretty sure (never used one but I have seen them being used) HP modifies the OS's GUI on it's TouchSmart PC's.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Bottom line is all of us WebOS users want it to succeed, period. All the apps we don't have that we want and all things we want WebOS to be compatible with depend on it's success.

So whether you agree or disagree with WebOS licensing it's OS to other handset makers you should probably think of it in terms of will it sell more WebOS devices and draw more interest from developers. Because that's the most important thing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This could just mean that they start marketing their phones by the names of the crappy customizations they each do to the UI. You already see this with some of the phones on FB posts, it doesn't say "Posted by FB for Android", it's like "Posted By TouchWiz" or something like that.

If WebOS is licensed it should be as is, none of this each manufacturer adding their own customization. The thing I don't like about licensing is the whole update process, it would be HP, manufacturer, then carrier. Also this *could* lead to the licensed phones not having official doctors if customization is allowed because then HP *may* not own 100% of the software on the phone thus not having the ability to host and release it as they see fit.

Of course this is all just speculation, in the end it would depend on what the licensing contract contains. I would still like to see what HP can do with this before licensing, the resources are there.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If HP does this, I suspect they'll only it license it to one or two OEMs. Secondly, HP would probably do what Microsoft has done and that is to tell the OEMs that they can't add their own custom skin on top of webOS. This would make updates more easier to come by.

Hi all,

Thank you you hit the nail directly on the head!

Take care,

Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 06/24/2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Because Palm was unique (dying, but unique).
    probably that is a general tradeoff pattern?
    Honestly, I like the fact that the Touchpad and WebOS phones are very unique. I don't like having what everyone else already has...

...Every other day there's a new Android device coming out. I've lost count.
    Which is it?

Either non-WebOS phones are all the same, or they are always coming out with new ones. Which is pretty much the definition of unique.

If WebOS’s claim to fame is that their target customer thinks “Nobody else wants them” then they are doomed.

-Suntan
    Don't go hoping for Moto bc they're in a bad place. Sanjay Jha is already putting it out there that Motorola most likely will have to combine with a software company in order to survive. He mentioned the scale and advantage that comes from one owner owning the hardware & software. The Android manufacturers that aren't diversified are starting to see that you need more than just produce hardware.

Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    The Android manufacturers that aren't diversified are starting to see that you need more than just produce hardware.
    Kind of a backwards view of the situation considering Moto is one of the few phone makers that *don’t* make the hardware.

The reality is that Moto is losing ground to the likes of Samsung (and to a lesser extent HTC) who makes their own screens and processors.

Moto can’t compete on equal footing with some of the others, but that is not to say that the others haven’t figured out how to make a decent living off of churning out phone designs. The ones that *are* vertically integrated and can make the hardware are the ones that are doing good in the model of "phones as a commodity."

-Suntan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast