Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi all,

My only concern with this is that we don't end up with devices that start off with older versions of webOS.

I'm sorry but I don't at this time recall which Android device was marketed with a version of Android OS that was already superseded with another....

Other than that, I think it's a good way of trying to get webOS in as many hands as possible.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    maybe the "make things right"-deal is a Samsung webOS phone with TouchUI on it
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    maybe the "make things right"-deal is a Samsung webOS phone with TouchUI on it
    G-d NO!!

i guess the end of the world has come!!
    I dont think this would be a bad idea atleast at first getting new devices out to different carriers. Think about it if samsung can help make phones for HP, we all could benifit of having atleast 1 or 2 different models on our respected carrier, without having to wait for HP to drop a model, and who may get it or not.
    Very interesting. I'd be for it (because why not?) but I'm very much doubting that HP is gonna let anyone license the crown jewels.

HP is grooming webOS into the major differentiator for the company and it wouldn't make much sense for HP as a company to let a competing company use it (I'm not talking about how much sense it could potentially make for users here).

Unlike Google or Microsoft, HP is a hardware company itself and doesn't need hardware companies to manufacture devices for their OS. They can sell their own software running on their own hardware.
  6. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    bet you hear more stories like this in due time . . . it would be a good venture for future years for HP as well equipment manufacturer's . . . esp. any1 looking to be acquired ! (acer, dell, motorola, etc...)
    Its pure speculation, if I say Apple may invest in webOS in my opinion, its just my opinion. I may go to Apple and say Hey Apple invest in webOS, but nothing is going to come out it. unless Apple invest in webOS. Similarly Samsung may think about coming to H/P and see if they would give them a deal. They dont wanna loose out if webOS tabs are selling like hot cakes.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    HP is new to the phone business, I don't see why HP wouldn't license out their OS to get more webOS devices to the market quicker.

Before HP bought Palm, everyone was wishing HTC would buy Palm so we could finally get some great webOS handsets. I wouldn't mind seeing Samsung taking a crack at making a webOS Galaxy series handset.
    If HP really wants to become more than just another reseller, it needs WebOS to differentiate from others. So c'mon, get your things done with WebOS 3 and Enyo and build upon a solid base.
    I would hate it if such a phone had a custom UI. But then again, UI cancer might be curable with a trip to the Doctor. XD
    10:1 odds say Samsung will hate webOS Internals and block Preware... they're fascists.
    This was someone's blog. Google his quote:
    Samsung "we are thinking about how to get WebOS right now"

You get 10 links that all go back to this bogus blog. This is someone having fun with us.

Samsung is selling all the phones they can make. Why would one of their execs announce this? Why is this guy Luis the only one who heard it?

Samsung has just released the Galaxy S II, what Engadget said "...might well be the best smartphone,.." and tested it to find that the Galaxy S II benchmarked, makes other phones cry in shame.

Samsung just released the Charge to huge reviews. The Infuse is another hit plus the Nexus S, Hercules, etc. And the Galaxy S 3 is coming this year. As to tablets, Android Central said, "Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 is what Android 3.0 Honeycomb should have launched on."

If a pitcher is a streak like that, would you tell him to change his delivery?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/22/2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    10:1 odds say Samsung will hate webOS Internals and block Preware... they're fascists.
    That would depend on HP's licensing agreements. Samsung would have to follow what HP says. Kind of like Microsoft and its partners.

And even if HP didn't have rules to how they use Webos, I doubt Samsung would block Preware considering they don't have locked bootloaders on their Android devices.
    Do not make the same mistake of Google licensing out their os for comapnies to tweak, but don't keep it a monopoly like apple. What is needed is for webos to remain intact but on other hardware platforms. This way, hp can concentrate on software deveopment to make it better and have other companies add more scale to the hardware side. The rest will be left for others for app creation. Win win all around, better economic and business synergy, opening webos to a larger theater for a world of interconnected devices, and above all great for us the consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamandel View Post
    They probably just want to diversify, having webos as just another platform. I would only license to a competitor that really believes in the platform.
    this
    Microsoft has got it down with windows on other platforms, but unlike hp microsoft is known as a software company. HP on the other hand will be criticized. I don't doubt that HP is really looking into this and heavily weighing its pros and cons.
    Interesting and I don't see it happening, but then who would've thunk HP buying Palm. I love webOS and would welcome anyone willing to build the eco-system I work in. Good point on the why aspect since you yes HP has been more then willing to sit back while RIM, Microsoft, and most everyone else copies their great ideas. I just wish HP had some balls like they say they have. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This was someone's blog. Google his quote:
    Samsung "we are thinking about how to get WebOS right now"

You get 10 links that all go back to this bogus blog. This is someone having fun with us.

Samsung is selling all the phones they can make. Why would one of their execs announce this? Why is this guy Luis the only one who heard it?

Samsung has just released the Galaxy S II, what Engadget said "...might well be the best smartphone,.." and tested it to find that the Galaxy S II benchmarked, makes other phones cry in shame.

Samsung just released the Charge to huge reviews. The Infuse is another hit plus the Nexus S, Hercules, etc. And the Galaxy S 3 is coming this year. As to tablets, Android Central said, "Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 is what Android 3.0 Honeycomb should have launched on."

If a pitcher is a streak like that, would you tell him to change his delivery?
    Agreed. Can a mod change the thread title to bogus?
    Another article from AllthingsD, based on analyst report suggesting
    Sony, Motorola and Samsung no longer like Android as consumers see all Android handsets the same, meaning their handsets are being lumped by consumers with lowend Android handsets by Acer etc.
    WebOS could be the "premium" differentiator for them.
    Excerpt from article and link below:

'They’re starting realize that their Android devices [are no different] in the eyes of the customer [than a] $20 Android Phone from Huawei,” Chowdhry says. “They’re worried that Android may dilute their global brand as customers put them in the same bucket with Acer, Asus, ZTE, Huawei, and MediaTek.”

And if that’s the case, Sony, Motorola and Samsung might be interested in another mobile OS, one that would preserve their premium brand.

Which is where HP’s webOS comes in.

It’s a widely acclaimed platform and it’s not fragmented at all. If the company were to license it to a few select partners under the right conditions it could extend the operating system’s reach and bolster HP’s revenues. Define a handful of well-conceived reference designs to which OEM partners must adhere and charge them $50 to $75 per device.

By doing that, HP could keep hardware quality high and position webOS as a premium alternative to Android. Which may be just what companies like Sony, Motorola and Samsung are looking for.'

Could HP Push webOS as a Premium Alternative to Android? - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Plus, I don't think HP has the name in phones. I think the phone market is something they will struggle in. Tablets are a different story.

Maybe this wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Dan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast