Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/22/2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fixed link
  2. #2  
    HP showin' some balls

    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  3. #3  
    I like that they want to play with the big hitters. Now they have to back it up with good marketing.
  4. #4  
    Im sure a lot of people think their tab is the best
    too. Just stop talking and make it happen with lower prices and better marketing, since better specs is obviously impossible now.
  5. sjaakb's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote by HP's Cador: "The way the corporate is going to look at it is to say that its employees, who are also consumers, have got to like it and it’s got to be secure. We’re going to deliver that. Beyond that, it’s about marketing and branding.”

    With no TP out in the real world I cannot gauge on the build quality and or ease of use, same with Pre3.
    HP's guys are big talkers, but I think it's time to PUT UP OR SHUT UP.
    And frankly I hope they put up, webos is amazing, HP's abilities to market/produce is a question mark. If (big IF) they succeed the world will be a little bit better place.

    Showtime HP Kidz....... !
  6. avnera's Avatar
    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    #6  
    I don't like it when they speak this way. it's like two years ago, many sites called the palm pre (-) an iPhone Killer... well, you know.

    provide a good product and you wouldn't have to do the talking at all.
    let the TouchPad do the talking!
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

    WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
  7. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #7  
    pass the crack pipe.....
  8. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #8  
    Flagship UK apps partners will be music service Last.fm, Sky and the Guardian, the company said. At launch, however, one HP spokesman said there would be “thousands” more.
    This is the real interesting bit from the article. Don't know about thousands, but having a lot of partners at launch will really help wow everyone and kickstart the hypetrain.

    Also, lol at coining the phrase 'number one plus'. lol.
  9. #9  
    Steve Jobs once said, that everyone is putting together packages. It's the package as a whole that counts. For me WebOS phones a vastly superior to what others are offering. Because of the ease of use. The Touchpad on the other hand is a whole new category and it seems the ease of use is not obviously transferable either. The iPad is no big phone accessory, but a computer platform. The touchpad seems to be targeted to be the former.
  10. #10  
    @amendel

    just curious, on what basis do you draw that conclusion about the touchpad?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by avnera View Post
    I don't like it when they speak this way. it's like two years ago, many sites called the palm pre (-) an iPhone Killer... well, you know.

    provide a good product and you wouldn't have to do the talking at all.
    let the TouchPad do the talking!
    I disagree. You can put out a turd, but as long as it is marketed properly, it will still sell. The iPhone would not be anywhere near as "un-killable" as it is today without marketing.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @amendel

    just curious, on what basis do you draw that conclusion about the touchpad?
    HP has no competing ecosystem yet. The only differentiation to similar products, is a refined and sophisticated way to interoperate with your phone (Veer or Pre 3), i.e. taking calls, reading text messages, touch to share. That's exactly what I like about the Pre/Pixi/Veer. It has a purpose: communication, and serves that purpose extremely well. The iPad, as the iPhone, btw, has a much broader approach. They want to build an abstract layer for all kinds of applications. They both fall short of sophistication and interoperability in terms of communication, because it is only _one_ of their purposes.

    The TouchPad is, as I see it, aimed to streamline your communication. If it does that better than the other players on the market, it will be bought by those who are looking for the solution (like me).
  13. #13  
    the iphone is no turd. it's a great product marketed great
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the iphone is no turd. it's a great product marketed great
    ACK
  15. #15  
    I just see that ecosystem as the most compelling part of the whole vision.

    If you're comparing a phone to another phone, or a tab to another tab, you're missing the point.

    It's a gamble by HP, but the ballsiest innovation I've seen by a tech company in some time.
  16. #16  
    Probably not good to be talking smack about the iPad for the first tablet HP ships...

    that's setting expectations mighty high. Meeting this claim will require some fantastic capabilities.

    TTS and great commercials won't produce "better" unless they are wrapped in a fully featured device.

    I sure hope they can make it happen!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hamandel View Post
    HP has no competing ecosystem yet. The only differentiation to similar products, is a refined and sophisticated way to interoperate with your phone (Veer or Pre 3), i.e. taking calls, reading text messages, touch to share. That's exactly what I like about the Pre/Pixi/Veer. It has a purpose: communication, and serves that purpose extremely well. The iPad, as the iPhone, btw, has a much broader approach. They want to build an abstract layer for all kinds of applications. They both fall short of sophistication and interoperability in terms of communication, because it is only _one_ of their purposes.

    The TouchPad is, as I see it, aimed to streamline your communication. If it does that better than the other players on the market, it will be bought by those who are looking for the solution (like me).
    That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't heard the TouchPad summarized that way, but it seems to be a good way of looking at it.

    I don't think they can beat the iPad by streamlining communication, so I hope they plan to make sure the touchpad can also do the stuff that the iPad does.

    I agree with the post that adapting webOS to a tablet isn't as direct as just putting cards on a tablet. I hope HP knows that...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMedina View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8528810/HP-Touchpad-will-be-better-than-number-one-tablet.html
    Um...this is EXACTLY what they said when they first launched the Palm pre.
  19. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't heard the TouchPad summarized that way, but it seems to be a good way of looking at it.

    I don't think they can beat the iPad by streamlining communication, so I hope they plan to make sure the touchpad can also do the stuff that the iPad does.

    I agree with the post that adapting webOS to a tablet isn't as direct as just putting cards on a tablet. I hope HP knows that...
    I don't think streamlining communication is going to prove that big a differentiator for most customers. What we've seen of it is very flashy and nice, but I severely doubt that the majority of customers will go with the TouchPad just for that, given the range of other tablets available with better developer support, brand recognition/"cool factor", build quality, thickness, weight, etc. It's just not enough at this point.
  20. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the iphone is no turd. it's a great product marketed great
    The initial release of the iPhone was a turd in some respects
    1) it was a horrible phone.
    2) there were no downloadable apps or appstore.
    3) it didn't stack up feature wise to other phones.

    It wasn't without it's challenges. Marketing + having a hugely successful product as a tie-in (iPod) helped tremendously. It wasn't until a year after launch that Apple had an app store, started with just 500 apps, few of which were quality apps. But by then iPhone and iPod owners were chomping at the bit to get something other than web apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions