Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lol, my 8 year old said the same thing since kindergarden she and all her friends all her classrooms have macs and basically grew up on macs.
    and when not at school they are playing with ipods, iphones or ipads.
    steve jobs really knows how to get'em early

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Seriously? Apple INVENTED PCs???

You might want to rethink using Wikipedia as a source for real facts.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I would have hoped for a Droid-like marketing assault... that's the way to do it.

but with leo's recent leaked memo saying, '“must watch every penny and minimise all hiring”, and states that HP has “absolutely no room for profitless revenue or any discretionary expenditures", i wonder how much they will put into marketing these devices.

H-P's Chief in Hot Seat - WSJ.com

guess they are using the veer soft launch to determine demand from the consumer and how much to spend to market?
    I don't think you have a clue what he meant. Marketing isn't a "discretionary expenditure".
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I don't think you have a clue what he meant. Marketing isn't a "discretionary expenditure".
    True.
    What he meant was increasing the budget for marketing ( If I understood). With Leo's comments on saving money, it will be tough for them to sell without additional marketing blitz.

Personally I think TouchPad will end up as an "also-ran" in between Google and Apple.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    True.
    What he meant was increasing the budget for marketing ( If I understood). With Leo's comments on saving money, it will be tough for them to sell without additional marketing blitz.

Personally I think TouchPad will end up as an "also-ran" in between Google and Apple.
    Marketing a brand new product line and brand requires huge marketing. He's given interviews that state that they will use their full power to promote webOS. I think the projecting going on here is just done so people find something to complain about when they don't have anything of material to complain about.
    Marketing a brand new product line and brand requires huge marketing. He's given interviews that state that they will use their full power to promote webOS. I think the projecting going on here is just done so people find something to complain about when they don't have anything of material to complain about.

Agree.

And, as the include webOS on more and more of their product line EVERY ad they make touting that will, by implication, be an ad for their phones.

I think the big synergy will be from all of the other connected devices and as folks become accustomed to using the system THERE it will be a natural fit to move to the phones. Also, as developers see webOS on all of their computers, etc...they will be more inclined to create apps for the system.

I am optimistic about the mid and long term. It is the short term that is annoying. haha
    We are just discussing thoughts... please, don't get so sensitive over it.

leo can say all he wants... talk is cheap. he also said that hp would never announce a product and not be ready to release within weeks... remember? And since then HP has had 3 bad quarters... the last one was terrible because he basically admitted the services section is broken. guidance has been reduced. downgrades have been given. the companies broken, a la CSCO, and they need to turn it around ASAP.

again, I'd love a droid like marketing blitz. I wanna see it! If HP does anything less, I believe it's a fail. we're just talking about it dude.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    We are just discussing thoughts... please, don't get so sensitive over it.

leo can say all he wants... talk is cheap. he also said that hp would never announce a product and not be ready to release within weeks... remember? And since then HP has had 3 bad quarters... the last one was terrible because he basically admitted the services section is broken. guidance has been reduced. downgrades have been given. the companies broken, a la CSCO, and they need to turn it around ASAP.

again, I'd love a droid like marketing blitz. I wanna see it! If HP does anything less, I believe it's a fail. we're just talking about it dude.
    The Droid blitz didn't start until after the phone was released.
    The Droid blitz didn't start until after the phone was released.
    IIRC, Verizon started running those iDon't teasers a few weeks before the Droid was even announced.
    Marketing and Innovation are the only two things that create value in business, everything else is cost. HP's investment in webOS is investment in innovation.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    IIRC, Verizon started running those iDon't teasers a few weeks before the Droid was even announced.
    True it was October 17th 2009.

Verizon's anti-iPhone gets its first commercial: 'Droid Does' (update) -- Engadget

and droid was released on October 28th 2009.
    agreed.

before the 2g, i was using a dell axim running wimo 5 something and I loved it but we're talking the equivalent of windows 3.1 back then and microsoft could care less about winmo... getting an update was a gift. and if you had a smartphone back then, the data prices were through the roof... a consumer couldnt afford it. i know i couldnt afford it... that's why i had a wifi pda and not a motorola Q or Samsung Blackjack back then.

opera on winmo 5 gave a peek of what browsing could be like and iphone 2g brought it to mainstream along with a simple email app and ipod capability... with data for $20 a month. As a consumer you couldnt beat that deal compared to data plans back then in the $50s?
    Data through the roof in June of 2007? I would have to disagree with that 3G plans on Sprint weren't that bad at least. I had data plans on my dumb phones and the wife and I both switched to Palm phones in 2007.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Data through the roof in June of 2007? I would have to disagree with that 3G plans on Sprint weren't that bad at least. I had data plans on my dumb phones and the wife and I both switched to Palm phones in 2007.
    I agree. I was paying $15 a month unlimited on Sprint.
    well, i really dont remember numbers anymore... just that when my friends had moto Qs and Blackjacks and they tell me their charges (and it could have included minutes and etc)... definitely way more than i could spend on a smartphone. when the Apple 2g came out, tacking $20 a month data on the 2g was my way in.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I agree. I was paying $15 a month unlimited on Sprint.
    Hi all,

Here is a similar article. Please see the link for the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

HP: we'll be top for tablets

By Nicole Kobie
    Posted on 24 May 2011 at 08:30

HP: we'll be top for tablets | News | PC Pro

HP is confident it's developed an iPad killer, with an executive claiming its tablet will take the top sales spot.
    The PC maker last year snapped up Palm for $1.2 billion, and is using its webOS operating system on its TouchPad tablet, which is yet to be released.
    "In the PC world, with fewer ways of differentiating HP’s products from our competitors, we became number one; in the tablet world we’re going to become better than number one," said Head of Europe Eric Cador, at a press conference in Cannes, according to a report in the Telegraph. "We call it number one plus."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I just got an email from my HP rep saying that HP Direct will have the touchpads in stock and for sale soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    I just got an email from my HP rep saying that HP Direct will have the touchpads in stock and for sale soon.
    Yay!

I hope they don't wait until the end of June or later, I've got disposable income NOW, but summers are always tough. This may force me to actually.. <gasp> SAVE!

Of course the day after I plop down $500 it'll be at CostCo for $400.. =/
    what a baffoon, you aren't paris hilton hp exec guy, you can't make a living saying calculated dumb@$$ remarks.

you need to release a Pre touchpad touch to share sextape, that's how Money is made
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    what a baffoon, you aren't paris hilton hp exec guy, you can't make a living saying calculated dumb@$$ remarks.

you need to release a Pre touchpad touch to share sextape, that's how Money is made
    Hey, isn't Lady Gaga part of the marketing strategy?

Oh wait.. I just threw up a little in my mouth..
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Here is a similar article. Please see the link for the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

HP: we'll be top for tablets

By Nicole Kobie
    Posted on 24 May 2011 at 08:30

HP: we'll be top for tablets | News | PC Pro

I like the confidence. However, for a product that has yet to be known by the public to knock off an established product (the iPod Grande), it's going to take a little more than confidence. Sounds like HP is getting themselves into every nook and cranny of sponsoring that they can. Once the advertising goes live for this thing in the next couple weeks, it's going to blow up like the Death Star.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123