Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The initial release of the iPhone was a turd in some respects
    1) it was a horrible phone.
    2) there were no downloadable apps or appstore.
    3) it didn't stack up feature wise to other phones.

It wasn't without it's challenges. Marketing + having a hugely successful product as a tie-in (iPod) helped tremendously. It wasn't until a year after launch that Apple had an app store, started with just 500 apps, few of which were quality apps. But by then iPhone and iPod owners were chomping at the bit to get something other than web apps.
    It didn't have somethings but it made up for that in what it did have.
    It had the BEST web browser and a fluid simple beautiful OS.
    It had beautiful build construction and an amazing capacitive touchscreen glass display.

That was then and this is now.
    HP can't have a bunch missing (ala playbook) like they did with pre.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html

It wasn't without it's challenges. Marketing + having a hugely successful product as a tie-in (iPod) helped tremendously. It wasn't until a year after launch that Apple had an app store, started with just 500 apps, few of which were quality apps. But by then iPhone and iPod owners were chomping at the bit to get something other than web apps.
    Every release of the iphone was great for it's time.

The iphone wasn't a business smartphone, it was a consumer one. Try using windows mobile 6 for an extended period of time, and tell me the original iPhone wasn't a HUGE improvement.

It also had a outstanding media player, and a great browser (For wifi-only, phone was 2g because of battery life issues.)

You could spin it however you like, but the original iphone, the iphone 3g, iphone 3gs and even the iphone 4 are all amazing for their time. They all had their downside (apps,3g,multitasking, notifications, etc..) but were still great phones.

Try using a windows mobile 6 device for more than a month as your primary device. Even 6.5 is a pain.
    agreed.

before the 2g, i was using a dell axim running wimo 5 something and I loved it but we're talking the equivalent of windows 3.1 back then and microsoft could care less about winmo... getting an update was a gift. and if you had a smartphone back then, the data prices were through the roof... a consumer couldnt afford it. i know i couldnt afford it... that's why i had a wifi pda and not a motorola Q or Samsung Blackjack back then.

opera on winmo 5 gave a peek of what browsing could be like and iphone 2g brought it to mainstream along with a simple email app and ipod capability... with data for $20 a month. As a consumer you couldnt beat that deal compared to data plans back then in the $50s?

Jobs was pushing an internet, email and ipod phone... not a smartphone. but people saw the potential of ios and the dev community got into it. jobs pushed back on the idea of apps... he wanted webapps. but the community was taking the phone to the smartphone realm.

jobs is undeniably a control freak and everything he does, he does his way... but in a way, he has also listened to people and given them what they wanted as far as features and in realizing it as a full blown smartphone... while making a ton of money for apple of course.

seriously, without the contribution apple has made starting with the 2g... going against people like ballmer and rim who both laughed at the phone and saw no threat... we would still be at winmo 5.9-something probably and and data prices would still be in the $50/per month range and nowhere affordable to the general consumer. and probably no android as it is now.

apple sparked the mobile tsunami (which cramer puts it) we have today. maybe another company could have sparked it... palm? but it happened to be apple.

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

The iphone wasn't a business smartphone, it was a consumer one. Try using windows mobile 6 for an extended period of time, and tell me the original iPhone wasn't a HUGE improvement.

It also had a outstanding media player, and a great browser (For wifi-only, phone was 2g because of battery life issues.)

You could spin it however you like, but the original iphone, the iphone 3g, iphone 3gs and even the iphone 4 are all amazing for their time. They all had their downside (apps,3g,multitasking, notifications, etc..) but were still great phones.

Try using a windows mobile 6 device for more than a month as your primary device. Even 6.5 is a pain.
    Last edited by donm527; 05/22/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Better than number 1? I don't see this happening at all. I'd be shocked if it were number 3. I'm all about WebOS but this is nothing more than talk and many, many tentative dominoes will have to fall in place at the right time. The TP will probably be a great user experience because of WebOS and I might get one but the article in my opinion is over-reaching, especially since there is nothing compelling about choosing this over the TP2 (both having the same price).

This release is walking down the same line that the original Sprint Pre took. Early mention (Jan for the Pre minus) and when it was finally released 5-6months later with very sub-par build quality and the worst marketing campaign known to man, it failed. The OS was/is just awesome but the hw & marketing doomed it.

Again, marketing has yet to begin and apparently we are near launch for the TP and not a word in sight (if you don't include a random email from HP). Also, why the shiny, plastic looking backside for the TP? Why HP? Why? Lol

I hope HP learned a lesson from Palm and their Pre minus venture. I want the TP to succeed, hell I'd even be happy if it at least competed.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    All that being true, it still had no competition for almost a year and a half until the HTC Dream came out at the end of 2008 which wasn't really that polished to take on the iPhone. So for all the problems the iPhone had when it came out didn't really matter because there was no viable alternative.

Now however the smartphone market is much more competitive and there really is no room for error if a company want's to compete.
    I never said the iPhone was a turd. I said it wouldn't be un-killable without marketing. But even if it had been a turd, with Apple's marketing, it still would have sold like crazy. Nowadays the iPhone is just one choice among many great choices. Marketing keeps it going.

This is exactly why Apple has released the "if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" ad campaign. Marketing 101: Whatever is the worst thing about your product, spin it into the best. The iPhone is no longer a super-special device. It's just another damn smartphone. So Apple is doing its best to re-capture that super-specialness that got it going in the first place.
    Last edited by Syndil; 05/23/2011 at 05:20 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    the original iPhone call quality was poor, based on the calls I received from a couple of my friends who had to have the iPhone as soon as it came out. Also, they didn't get some calls, weren't notified of voicemails...

I believe Apple took care of these issues on the next iteration.
    While I don't like how Engadget mocked Eric Cador (even while Steve Ballmer promised "over 9000!!!" features for the next WinPhone 7 update and they didn't mock hin), it is nice to see HP getting excited for the Touchpad.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

I guess for a website that lost all its top talent, Engadget can no longer imagine what it might be like to be better than number 1.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I totally believe that Touchpad will be better than number one tablet. However I am not sure HP is going to tell that to an iPad prospective customer.

HP doesn't have the guts to market it. Moto did that ( though with mixed results) for its Droid and XOOM. While the Droid was a success, XOOM was a failure. Bottom line you need guts to take on Apple on marketing. I doubt HP has it.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    True, with the exception of iPhone 4. Which is a fine gadget overall, but others took over in specs department. The general consumer doesn't care about every spec but the Display Size. Overall it shows that the other manufacturers are either matching or beating Apple in few areas. They still have a long way to go to match Apple in delivering a total product. OTOH, HP is close second to match APPLE. They beat Apple with the software, but the hardware is at least three years behind.
    I would have hoped for a Droid-like marketing assault... that's the way to do it.

but with leo's recent leaked memo saying, '“must watch every penny and minimise all hiring”, and states that HP has “absolutely no room for profitless revenue or any discretionary expenditures", i wonder how much they will put into marketing these devices.

H-P's Chief in Hot Seat - WSJ.com

guess they are using the veer soft launch to determine demand from the consumer and how much to spend to market?

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I totally believe that Touchpad will be better than number one tablet. However I am not sure HP is going to tell that to an iPad prospective customer.

HP doesn't have the guts to market it. Moto did that ( though with mixed results) for its Droid and XOOM. While the Droid was a success, XOOM was a failure. Bottom line you need guts to take on Apple on marketing. I doubt HP has it.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I would have hoped for a Droid-like marketing assault... that's the way to do it.

but with leo's recent leaked memo saying, '“must watch every penny and minimise all hiring”, and states that HP has “absolutely no room for profitless revenue or any discretionary expenditures", i wonder how much they will put into marketing these devices.

H-P's Chief in Hot Seat - WSJ.com

guess they are using the veer soft launch to determine demand from the consumer and how much to spend to market?
    I agree, not sure its a culture from Palm or the HP decided to spend less on marketing. The most stupid thing you can is to create a super product and not advertise it to the public.

HP is believing that people are going to buy even without marketing. Why because its the best. Gimme a break. First they need to come with a striking hardware to attract the customers. Then talk about the rest.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And the Pricing ????? Supposedly they want the same money folks spend on iPad2.

Hmm,
    If you price a Hyundai in the Honda range,folks are going to buy a Honda. No offense to Hyundai, but Honda has a reputation and Hyundai is trying to build the reputation.

Speaking of which, Hyundai is spending millions to build reputation and seems to be doing fine lately.
    Just a detail: the IPad 2 is coming to Brazil in two weeks, released to all big stores in same time while nor Pre2, Veer, Pre³ or ToucHPad are registered in Anatel (the Brazilian FCC) until now.

But it's only about the Brazil? No! It's About the world!

Want to be the number one? First, do you have leave your customers buy your product/service! If I cannot to buy; so, the best of the bests is not a good product. The Palm has this mistake, and the HP continue in the same way? Putz... :x

To just selling in half dozen countries, it's better stop with this b******* and nonsense ads...

The IPhone was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries (3G and later versions).
    The IPad was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries.
    The Droid/Milestone (CDMA/GSM) was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries.
    The Galaxy S was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries.
    The Palm Centro was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries.
    The ............. (choice some sucess in all world) was a sucess because do you can buy in all countries.

But now:
    The Palm Pre was not a sucess because do you could not buy in all countries.
    The Nokia N900 was not a sucess because do you could not buy in all countries.
    The Google Nexus One was not a sucess because do you could not buy in all countries.

Ok, it's not only spread in all world that can make some product a sucess or failure... but if do you wanna be the bigger of the world, do you have do sell in... all world!

Other detail, is about price!

The IPhone 2G begin bad, because was expensive and grow up only after the Apple fall the prices in... how? $ 200.00, if I'm not wrong...

Yes, PRICE is important! The best product with a value that I cannot to pay, is a bad product...

For now, sorry, HP! I buyed a Archos 101! Why? Because I cannot to buy the ToucHPad! Why? Because nobody have to sell... It's simple, no?

Sorry for the outflow, but I knowed for many as "the biggest palm OS / webOS enthusiastic in Brazil". So, imagine try to convince to who don't know the system that it's good or was abandoned by Palm for so many years...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    For all the naysayers (including engadget, and including people here, and including people everywhere else..), here is what i say -
    If one OS can take that spot, its webOS. If one company can make that happen with all its scale, and super muscles, Its HP! why can't people go back to refer to Leo's interview with fortune and listen to what he said and how he said it. Apple invented PCs but who claimed th PC market over the years? Everyone is short sighted. visionaries win marathons.
    Again, i said HP Can do it. and now i hope they back it up with action (and we have started to see their efforts) and really make it happen.
    Lastly, I'm an iPhone user currently. But cant wait to switch to webOS. God knows how many people are there around the world who are thinking exactly like i do now.
    Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    For all the naysayers (including engadget, and including people here, and including people everywhere else..), here is what i say -
    If one OS can take that spot, its webOS. If one company can make that happen with all its scale, and super muscles, Its HP! why can't people go back to refer to Leo's interview with fortune and listen to what he said and how he said it. Apple invented PCs but who claimed th PC market over the years? Everyone is short sighted. visionaries win marathons.
    Again, i said HP Can do it. and now i hope they back it up with action (and we have started to see their efforts) and really make it happen.
    Lastly, I'm an iPhone user currently. But cant wait to switch to webOS. God knows how many people are there around the world who are thinking exactly like i do now.
    Peace!
    I'm afraid to read anything more "Uncle Leo" has to say. That Walll Street link above has him throwing blame everywhere. As CEO it's not a good thing to deflect in that manner. Better to say nothing than point fingers. He wont be at HP long. Man does he take horrible photos. I keep expecting him to flip his lips up and down with his forefinger. Lol
    The HP TP looks like a large shiny piece of promises. Lets all see how it fairs in the coming year.

I am frustrated by windows mobile, but still like it better than iOs
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    ... Apple invented PCs but who claimed th PC market over the years? ...
    Seriously? Apple INVENTED PCs???

You might want to rethink using Wikipedia as a source for real facts.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I'm afraid to read anything more "Uncle Leo" has to say. That Walll Street link above has him throwing blame everywhere. As CEO it's not a good thing to deflect in that manner. Better to say nothing than point fingers. He wont be at HP long. Man does he take horrible photos. I keep expecting him to flip his lips up and down with his forefinger. Lol
    Yep.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Steve-...58641.html?x=0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast