Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wondering if the Wi-Fi only TouchPad might have an empty PCI-E memory slot lurking under the back cover to be used for the data card on the 3G models. Feel free to PM me if you happen to know for sure either way.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Don't count on it. If you want 3G data on your Touchpad, you will need a phone with Mobile HotSpot. It will only have a WiFi chip.
    What I don't understand is why GPS is not included with the wi-fi model.
    Would be great if webos had an active card client app and a smartcard slot. That would be as Charlie Sheen says "WINNING!".
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomeister View Post
    +1. This really annoys me. And probably the makers of many SatNav apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomeister View Post
    Isn't it due to the GPS chip being in a 3g chip? Don't know for sure though, just a guess because Apple is the same way.

Would be cool though if there was a way to tether the GPS from the phone to the TouchPad.
    Guys, am I missing something here? The new dual core snapdragon with adreno 220 has built in gps.
    Fine Oils: Qualcomm Dual-Core Snapdragon MSM8660 (plus Adreno 220) Is Snappiest Of Them All
    I bet hp decided to disable it for some reason. Leave it to the devs and homebrewing to enable it.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    It may have to do with phones heavily relying on a-gps rather than a full gps signal as a dedicated gps unit would. The a-gps tech requires communication with a server back at your cell carrier I believe.

Anyone who had an original Sprint Pre and used QPST to make the GPS better may have a better of picture of how that works, you plug in a specific ip address to get the needed information from.
    I really don't know the true reason for this but it must be something to do with the GPS being an Assisted GPS. Meaning, it isn't a fully functional-stand alone GPS. I am looking forward to see how far WebOS Internals can get the one that is built into the Processor.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    A-GPS is my guess as well. Without being able to get a quick fix with A-GPS, the normal GPS could take as long as a few minutes to find your position.

Imagine the fire and brimstone on this forum if HP shipped a device that took two minutes to get a GPS fix. It was probably the right decision to outright disable it. Apple probably does it right: rather than giving you a feature that may not work flawlessly, they don't give it to you at all. Some users will want the feature anyway, but most users would be angry if they had the feature and it didn't work perfectly.

I won't be using my Pad as a satnav anyway, and don't know anyone who's using theirs as one.

What I wanna know is whether the lack of GPS will impair the TouchPad's ability to run astronomy-type augmented reality apps where I point the Pad at the sky and it shows me the names of all the stars and constellations.
    I'm thinking that a very rough position (ie city) could be enough as the parallax would probably be negligible, but this is just a hunch. Anyone know whether I'm right?
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    +1. This really annoys me. And probably the makers of many SatNav apps.
    I'm thinking of this as some kind of possible "touch to share" function. IIRC touch to share enables a BT connection between the phone and TP, right? The actual "touching" is just to initialize, once connected the phone could share this data with the TP.

Same deal for augmented reality and what not.

Sure the function would have to be there (continuous BT connection, I am guessing this is there with the ability to receive SMS and calls), and HP/Palm have to allow developers to access it and any needed API's for it. I am just throwing it out there, that a feature like that would live up to what they are wanting to do with this "ecosystem" of infinitely scalable apps/OS. Not saying it's gonna happen.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Would be cool though if there was a way to tether the GPS from the phone to the TouchPad.
    There are a number of Bluetooth GPS devices that could do this (including what used to be a very common pharos GPS that microsoft used to bundle with streets & trips). The old standard is NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) data, which they can feed.

So as long as the touchpad can configure a com port via bluetooth to handle this input, it should be straightforward for some app maker to support it. I had a bunch I used to support at my work, the bluetooth feature worked fine but often it was easier to just do it via USB if you didn't mind the cable.

Still, annoying they wouldn't just build it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    There are a number of Bluetooth GPS devices that could do this (including what used to be a very common pharos GPS that microsoft used to bundle with streets & trips). The old standard is NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) data, which they can feed.

So as long as the touchpad can configure a com port via bluetooth to handle this input, it should be straightforward for some app maker to support it. I had a bunch I used to support at my work, the bluetooth feature worked fine but often it was easier to just do it via USB if you didn't mind the cable.

Still, annoying they wouldn't just build it in.
    That's true, but for the amount of times I'll use GPS on the device, it's not worth the extra cost when I can just use my phone.

However, I do hope in future versions this becomes available. think of a webOS carputer...
    Sorry, but you have too much faith in corporations if you think they would do this. A cool idea, but no way HP would do this.
    That's true, but for the amount of times I'll use GPS on the device, it's not worth the extra cost when I can just use my phone.

However, I do hope in future versions this becomes available. think of a webOS carputer...
    I can see a WebOS carputer easily in the future (assuming things progress and the PC version of WebOS catches on). WebOS would make a great GUI skin for a carputer, with little modification needed. I actually hadn't thought about this, but I have been wanting to build a carputer for a while, could easily see the PC version of WebOS allowing for easy carputer integration. Interesting thought on that, touchscreen integration, etc, would be perfect!

Would be awesome based on something that was built around touchscreen interface. I could see WebOS 3.0+ working on a carputer touchscreen, windows based would allow for all the possible additional drivers you may want in a carputer... I like this.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I can see a WebOS carputer easily in the future (assuming things progress and the PC version of WebOS catches on). WebOS would make a great GUI skin for a carputer, with little modification needed. I actually hadn't thought about this, but I have been wanting to build a carputer for a while, could easily see the PC version of WebOS allowing for easy carputer integration. Interesting thought on that, touchscreen integration, etc, would be perfect!

Would be awesome based on something that was built around touchscreen interface. I could see WebOS 3.0+ working on a carputer touchscreen, windows based would allow for all the possible additional drivers you may want in a carputer... I like this.
    I'm talking about like a 7" TouchPad going in. Granted, you may not have the space for movies/music, but that could be augmented by one of those Seagate GoFlex hard drives, or something similar. A wifi drive stashed underneath the passengers seat, full of your media and can be streamed to the TouchPad. After removing the stock radio and installing an aftermarket one with AUX input, you can build in the dash, an area to hold the wireless charger and something to hold the TouchPad in. Your phone can automatically tether to the TouchPad using Bluetooth when you put it on the Touchstone using ModeSwitcher, so you can answer calls through the TouchPad interface.

I've been thinking this one up for a little bit

But, this is all, once again, dependent on unlocking that GPS whether it be the GPS chip or A-GPS. The in-dash TouchPad is kind of worthless without some sort of maps system.
    I understood your idea, but honestly with the proprietary nature of a TouchPad, an autopc running WebOS would give you more interface options. Since it is going to run "inside" windows, you would still be able to use common windows/pc drivers and interface (removing the issue of the GPS for example, you could use a usb gps antenna). Your GUI would be WebOS and you could use any size touchscreen you wanted. Could easily build the whole thing for under 500 including touchscreen.
    That's very true. That might be the better option. Although I do like the idea of having those other options, but lately I've realized how much I wouldn't, and many other consumers wouldn't need those other options. The basic audio out, the screen, a few apps, tethering, and a/v capabilities are really all I need. Oh, and of course the GPS. The TouchPad only also offers a really basic option instead of having to use power adapters, auto-on, etc.

We wouldn't be able to build a webOS carputer without HP allowing for webOS on non-HP devices though.
    We wouldn't be able to build a webOS carputer without HP allowing for webOS on non-HP devices though.
    I see this coming though, I see it being preinstalled on their machines, but a free OS (such as Chromium) for use on other machines. My belief of this is because they speak of WebOS on PC's building developer relations, etc. You will want that OS on every PC possible.

Even if it's not a legit HP supported install, I can't imagine it would be hard to get on a non-HP machine (look at everything homebrew has accomplished thus far with WebOS). Also I would hope they release it in some form for HP computers built before 2012 (I have a few HP/Compaq computers floating around the house of various age and in various states of usefulness .... actually just counted I technically have 6 or 7, I need to clean out my PC graveyard).
    what i'm hoping is that GPS data can be transfered from my phone to the touchpad with touch2share. I want GPS on my tablet, but I dont want to have to buy a 3g tablet to do so.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast