1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am looking for some serious discussion on the pros and cons of the TouchPad in order to convince me to purchase the tablet. I have been waiting and waiting for the right time to purchase a tablet. Obviously, I am extremely interested in the TouchPad and additionally I am interested in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I currently own the HTC Evo on Sptint's network. Some benefits that I would love to see is compatibility to send and receive SMSs from both my phone and whichever tablet I purchase. Currently it sounds like the TouchPad can only do this with the Pre 3 or the Veer. I am unsure on if the Galaxt Tab can do any of this. The one thing I do not like about the TouchPad is the lack of an SD card. What I don't like about the Galaxy Tab is not having a true USB connection. In general I like the idea to see what is running on the device and the ability to easily close and open apps.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers
    It's your money. Go buy one and play with it and return it. And get another brand and play with it. You make a decision. If you ask on here, they probably tell you to buy TouchPad. If you ask this question on Android forum, they will probably tell you to buy HoneyComb.
    I don't think you're looking for a tablet here. I think you're looking for Google Voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingsEighth View Post
    ...Obviously, I am extremely interested in the TouchPad and additionally I am interested in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    Start with the comparison chart to see what matters to you:

HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer, Asus

I currently own the HTC Evo on Sptint's network. Some benefits that I would love to see is compatibility to send and receive SMSs from both my phone and whichever tablet I purchase.
    As someone else said that would be Google Voice. Sign up for an account and download the app. Sprint has the new Google Voice-Sprint integration.

What I don't like about the Galaxy Tab is not having a true USB connection.
    The USB is an adapter but you can make the Gallaxy appear as a disk drive on your local area network. Just use an FTP program like this:

How to wirelessly manage HTC EVO microSD card from your computer

That site is for EVO but it works on a tablet as well.
    In general I like the idea to see what is running on the device and the ability to easily close and open apps.
    Honeycomb 3.1 expands on this quite a bit and it is a strength of webOS as well. Matias Duarte is the guy who designed both.
    you can also throw in blackberry playbook for portability (7") and EEE pad for the price ($399).

The advantage of Touchpad is webOS. The disadvantages of touchpad is price, hardwares (ports, screen resolution, cam) and amount of apps.

If you can list the things you want your Tab to be able to do, that would help us making suggestions.
    One amin reason to get the TP is Synergy period. Wit other OS like apple, google, and balckberry, it's all about apps. Apps are the main focus. An app for this and another app for that then another app for that as well. The experience becomes cumbersome no longer is the os working for you, but now you are working to find the app. Webos on the other hand pulls everything together from. The os works for you. Just type and bam the it is, not only does it search but executes. Refinement cleanliness and ease @ it's finest. Also, hp supports homebrewing or what is known as jailbreaking on other os, which is not accepted on others. You jailbreak on another os, the next update certain features will not work. Webos is the peoples os. Webos is not some combo#1 burger and fries, it's certified angus beef aged to perfection. Give it time to prepare and enjoy the best you ever had. It's like fine wine, the older it gets the better it is. Give webos time to mature and it will quickly bypass the rest and you will see.
    Here are your points that you brought up:
    - Compatibility to send and receive SMSs from both my phone and tablet.
    - TouchPad has the lack of an SD card.

For the first, you will not be able to seamlessly sync your messages between your phone and tablet if you don't have a WebOS phone because HP can't control the other OS's. On the Tab 10.1, the best solution would be Google Voice as others have suggest. It works with other phones (Evo) however, it does not allow picture messaging and is more of a 3rd party add-on so it won't seamlessly work with your SMS and Phone apps. My best suggestion here would be simply to take a look at the Pre3 if it isn't to big of a money deal. You would love it... seriously I having owned an Evo and a Pre can tell you that WebOS is light years ahead of Froyo on the Evo. I would trade my Evo right now for a Sprint Pre2. The Pre3, fixes every problem I have had with my old Pre.

The second is kind of a preference. It seams that what you want out of the memory is that you want to be able to manage it to your heart's content. There will be a 32 GB version available at launch which is enough for me (I have alot of movies, songs, and photos). To add to that, HP has a cloud based music service in the pipes (yes it has been confirmed by Rubinstein on the Engadget show) which will allow you to have all your music up in the cloud but all the predicted songs you may listen to on device which will result in more space. But overall, I really don't think you will have much problems with 32GB.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I have been trying to have this debate with my Android brother for quite awhile. He keeps telling me to get Android this, Android that, because he keeps forgetting what OS I support.
    The best I can ever say to him is the fact that a 'traditional' tablet doesn't visualize your applications in the simple, intuitive way that WebOS does. WebOS is the first touch OS (for me) to be convenient and intuitive enough of a transition from a PC to actually replace my PC. The fact that I can organize my workflow/workspace in such a simple and effective manner is enough for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Well I bought a 7" Galaxy Tab because I just couldn't wait to get a tablet...and now I'm looking to sell it. I like the concept of the tablet and the 7" form factor is the perfect size for me but I am just not a fan of Android at all. I will now certainly switch networks if I need to when the Pre3 comes out and will likely go for the rumored 7" webOS tablet coming out later in the year. For me the software is the deciding factor and I'm now all in on webOS.
    Dr. Dre has one and so should you. 'Nuff said!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Dr. Dre has one and so should you. 'Nuff said!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The Pre3, fixes every problem I have had with my old Pre.

That's a bold statement considering it hasn't yet launched. I would say you *hope* it fixes all the problems. Based on all the Pre - problems that have carried over, I wouldn't be too confident in that.
    How can you ask people to convince you to purchase something that isn't on the market yet? I mean there is no real world comparison at this point since it isn't in the real world. There is no firm launch info other than the WalMart leak. You are asking folks to do the impossible.

I will say the way things are looking our next devices will be WebOS devices, we will see what forms those end up getting purchased in. Depending on Pre3 I might franken Pre2, Veer, Pre 3, TP, etc. We will need 2 phones and would like a TP, and we are currently on Sprint (lots of factors for me to try and convince someone else what they should be buying).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Just wait until its out, play with it, and decide then. If you need something badly, as in right now, HP isn't going to do the trick for you.
    To the OP:

Honestly, its not our job to convince you to buy any device - that's your job.

We post and discuss here to share information and learn from one another about WebOS products and related technologies - many here actually own other devices than WebOS devices, in fact.

When it comes out, do your own hands on comparison, and decide for yourself if it fits your needs or not.. anyone who tries to convince you to do otherwise isn't really helping you.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein