View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

92 52.57%
  • No idea

24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

34 19.43%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Personally, I think pricing the Touchpad the same as the iPad 2 is a big mistake. HP's major advantage over Apple and other competitors has always been pricing. And especially when the Touchpad's got a similar size/weight and some specs to the iPad, not the iPad 2, I think it's a big mistake. And with tablets like Samsung's (super thin, fast and said to be cheaper than iPad 2), how does HP think it'll compete?
    Pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is also coming in $499 and $599 variants.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is also coming in $499 and $599 variants.
    Thanks, but it's still way ahead of the Touchpad in specs. Heck, it's even ahead of the iPad 2 in some specs.
    How about an "it won't matter" choice in your poll? edit: I like what you did there, but I already voted

The Galaxy looks like a great tab, but will it be able to differentiate itself from other android tabs? Also if you want to argue specs its dual core is only clocked at 1ghz But we all know comparing little specs is pointless right?

With all the similarities in tablets here's the specs I look at when determining value:
    1. Screen Size
    2. Drive Space
    3. OS & general experience
    Last edited by axoneill; 05/20/2011 at 01:26 AM.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Thanks, but it's still way ahead of the Touchpad in specs. Heck, it's even ahead of the iPad 2 in some specs.
    Apple proved that specs aren't the most important thing. If you were to quiz the average consumer of the specs of their tablet, chances are they wouldn't know, and probably don't care. They just want it to run smoothly, and do they tasks they need it to do. The specs of the TouchPad are fine.

As far as pricing goes, matching the iPad is fine with me. In my mind, it's pretty much standard pricing for tablets. With the exception of the Asus Transformer, all other tablets priced under $500 are trash any way. I think if HP comes out with a $300 or $400 10" tablet, people will perceive it as one of those cheap tablets. Besides, HP needs to make a good profit; so I wouldn't expect a cheaper tablet, unless it's a 7" one.
    Last edited by Smartfah; 05/20/2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
    For me, its going to be about functionality and UI of the Operating System. I think the samsung will have the best internal hardware, the iPad the best external hardware, but the TouchPad has BY FAR the best Software. Plus, its not like the internals of the TouchPad are bad. Trust me, I am no Qualcomm fan.... in fact, if you have read my previous posts, you will know that I almost hate Qualcomm. However, they have stepped it up with the Adreno 220. I just hope that the processor part of it works as well.

Also, it has very nice functionality with the touch to share, the forwarding of text and calls (i LOVE this feature. simply LOVE IT. Did I mention I LOVE IT?) The entire webOS user interface, the email client looks incredible, the support for citrix was GENIUS for business users, etc.

The TouchPad WILL be able to compete well if the retailers do a good job at it. 80% of the market doesn't know tablets. They need to be educated and educated well in the different operating systems and features. If a side by side comparison is made, here are the results:

iPad- Pros: TONS of apps, stable operating system, long battery life CONS: obtrusive notifications, lack of usable home scrreen, unbelievably clunky user interface (in the ways that it takes 17 steps to do one thing.), huge lack of functionality, and frankly, no impressive features anymore. They had it in 2007, but not in 2011. NOTHING about iPad says "wow" to me. Also, the BURDEN of having to connect iPad to the computer before use, and to sync music, and to sync contacts, and to...well... to do ANYTHING. The email client kinda sucks too. No notification light (why???). Setting not per app, but all in one place- requiring you to exit your app in order to change the settings for it (again... why???) I could go on, but I will stop.

Android 3.0: Pros: An actual tablet user interface. Speedy OS. Lots of functionality. Downloadable information from outside sources in the web. Google cloud support (google music, google docs, etc). Navigation included. Great browser. Widgets are good. Google Video Chat is a plus. Cons: lack of apps. Programs often force quit and are unstable. OS has a steep learning curve. OS is unorganized, as it is difficult to find where you want to go, but still very usable.

WebOS/TouchPad: Pros: closer to a desktop OS than iPad (much much closer). HP support- this will play out nicely in the future, especially with PC integration and peripheral integration. Printer HP support. Touch to Share. Forward Text and Calls. Incredible User Interface. Great notifications. Inductive charging. CONS: missing a lot of application support. HP silent about battery life. Plastic chassis instead of more durable materials. As far as I know, there is no mirrored video out support (this sucks a lot).

I have a motot XOOM right now and I really like it. But it is going to my girlfriend AS SOON as the TouchPad comes out. I was gonna get an iPad, but after owning an iPhone 4 and seeing for myself how primitive and limited the OS is, I had to go back to webOS (Pre 2) after 1 year of being away.

Of course, the biggest CON with the touchpad is that I don't have one in my hands yet!!
    I say throw in some accessories, then it's a better deal. Others want to overcharge for accessories(Xoom accessories are really expensive for one), let HP be different and include something with purchase.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Apple proved that specs aren't the most important thing. If you were to quiz the average consumer of the specs of their tablet, chances are they wouldn't know, and probably don't care. They just want it to run smoothly, and do they tasks they need it to do. The specs of the TouchPad are fine.

As far as pricing goes, matching the iPad is fine with me. In my mind, it's pretty much standard pricing for tablets. With the exception of the Asus Transformer, all other tablets priced under $500 are trash any way. In think if HP comes out with a $300 or $400 10" tablet, people will perceive it as one of those cheap tablets. Besides, HP needs to make a good profit; so I wouldn't expect a cheaper tablet, unless
    it's a 7" one.
    I 100% agree. To be honest, too low a price in a tablet is a turn-off for me. It makes me wonder just what i'm buying if it's cheaper than a phone or ipod or something. I hear good things about the transformer, but when it comes to the others I would rather spend 500 on an iPad or TouchPad than 400 or less on a sub-par device.
    I always believe apple is selling iPad at that price for the hype, the sales are largely depends on its brand.

Thats why, at least so far, any tablet, no matter how good, don't sell at $499/$599.

When its apple, people buy it without thinking. While when its other brand, they begin to think:

why do I need this?
    what can this do?
    and WHY does it cost so much?

No matter how disgusted of apple, people need to admit the fact and live in the real world, rather than in the world apple created, in which a tablet with few usage can sell at $499/$599.

Apparent ASUS is the only one awake.

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I 100% agree. To be honest, too low a price in a tablet is a turn-off for me. It makes me wonder just what i'm buying if it's cheaper than a phone or ipod or something. I hear good things about the transformer, but when it comes to the others I would rather spend 500 on an iPad or TouchPad than 400 or less on a sub-par device.
    But would you be willing to spend $399 on a device that is praised as "the best honeycomb tablet" in the review of engadget? Which has better specs all around except a webOS?
    The pricing is fine. Apple set the bar, anyone going over is going to look stupid, anyone under is going to look like they're lowballing their product. Why do you think people still pay $2000 for a television when they could spend $800 for something they'll never notice a difference between the two? They think they're getting a better product. (Not us though, as we know what's inside of it and the competition, but we're the minority).

My complaint is the pricing of the accessories. $80 for a charger?!? You've got to be kidding. $50 for a case? No way. Think I'll be staying away from that stuff for now. WAY overpriced, that is ridiculous. I'd say $30 less for each and you've got me. If that charger had the wireless video output like HP had wanted in those old documents, I'd be all for it. But that is outrageous.
    Everyone praise about the charger. They said this is one of the feature better than Apple product, yet they are still not included with the device. Wake up HP, if you want to make this one of your feature, include it with the device so everyone can have one without paying ridiculous $80 for stupid charger.
    I think the $600 Touchpad is going to look a lot like the $600 Xoom in a couple months. …Ridiculous.

Yes, the style-conscious will continue to appreciate the high price as a selling feature (apparently there are some of them in here too, not just in ipad forums.) But most people will gravitate towards products that offer the same thing at a lower price point.

I think HP is making a mistake with this high pricing. If they are trying to emulate their “envy” line of laptops, they are misguided. First, the hardware on the TP isn’t all that high end. Second, the kind of person that wants to pay for an expensive laptop tends to think tablets are pointless.

In any case, if they want to make people believe their touchpad is as fancy as an ipad (and thus command the same money) they’ll need to successfully market the snot out of it. Something the WebOS products have failed miserably with in the past.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    My complaint is the pricing of the accessories. $80 for a charger?!? You've got to be kidding. $50 for a case? No way.
    This I agree with completely. I was somewhat taken aback by the cost when I saw that.

Again, look at the hubris of the Xoom. $50 for a dock, $130 for a dock with speaker outputs.

How’s that working out for Motorola?

-Suntan
    What about a limited-time deal on a charger bundle to spur initial sales?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    What about a limited-time deal on a charger bundle to spur initial sales?
    Why make it a limited time? Why can't they just put the damn thing in the same package, so everyone can enjoy it and they can tell other friends and family how great it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP committed itself to not competing on price when it purchased webOS.
    Who really thinks any company in the world doesn’t “compete on price?” Apple just does a better job of making it seem like they don’t care.

I wouldn’t say price is the *only* thing I look at when making a buying decision, but it is always an important thing to look at for me. YMMV.

-Suntan
    I think this MSRP is fine. HP is not like Apple, who buys stuff from HP at MSRP? I am pretty sure the actual TouchPad selling price will soon go below that of an iPad.
    Given there's a $399 16gig wifi Transformer, Ipad2, and hoards of other tablets, what's gonna set aside Touchpad? Same MSRP as Ipad2 is scary, so as long as there are good discounts, then it has a shot. But we really need a lighter and thinner Touchpad to compete with Ipad2. Oh well, I guess we won't see that until 2012...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ^^^I really hope so cause as some others have said, if the TP chassis is constructed completely of plastic albeit very high quality plastic, it still will not have the solid weighty feel of an iPad 2 and to consumers new to tablets, comparing the new Galaxy 10.1 tab to the iPad 2 to the TP, aside from all the other factors, you would be surprised how much the feel of something can play a factor in someone's decision in making that purchase or not.

I have an iPad 2 and plan on buying the TP but I have to admit, so far, Apple's exterior design/body has yet to be matched. Not only is it extremely thin but being machined out of a solid piece of aluminum, just gives it that high quality look and feel that obviously attracts a horde of people to it. Plastic regardless of how good it is just doesn't exude that same level of quality or attract anywhere near as many people since most people dont high quality when they think of plastic. I really wish HP would have given this more though to differentiate itself from the rest. It is completely relying on webOS and its advantages over other OS'es as its major selling point. Yes, webOS might be its major strength but I think they underestimated how much the exterior design plays a factor ultimately in the overall decision-making process of a new tablet consumer.
    Obviously the cheaper the better, but this price is what I expected. As long as they have both options available for purchase on day 1 I think they'll do fine. Also, hasn't everyone who's held a TP and Ipad2 said they prefered the TP? I'm more interested in a 7" than a thinner 10". Or hell.. just license the OS and let someone like htc make hardware for it. THAT would be slick
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast