View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

92 52.57%
  • No idea

24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

34 19.43%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Of course the people of precentral are going to vote for it to be cheaper, they know what it is and want it as cheap as possible. I don't care if they didn't post a single advertisement, or if they marked the price 100 over apples, I love WebOS and I will buy the tablet. People on this site love the OS and are voting that the price is to high because they know that they will be shelling out the cash when the time comes. Apple keeps everything under lock and key... the freedom of WebOS is what sets it apart the most.
    Don't count on that freedom being there forever. Eventually, corporate sales will become important, and it will be important to be able to control every aspect of the platform. Apple did this early on through its own control system, and Google is moving fairly quickly in that direction because the level of control available is fairly poor. HP may have some improved functionality in that respect, but it will probably enable carriers to enforce more control over devices on their networks.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    The problem with the price is that very few people are aware of WebOS. To get mindshare and popularity it has to be better than ipad (the current market leader) and be cheaper. Just take a look at transformer versus xoom or iconia tab or samsung galaxy tab. It is sold out everywhere because it has similar specs and performs better than other tablets while being cheaper.

People who are familair with WebOS are going to know why it is the same price as an ipad2 but majority of the people won't. It is like having a Linux PC with exact same specs as a Mac and expecting it to outsell a mac at the same price. Only people who know the capabilities of webOS will be interested in buying it.

HP needs to make it more attractive to users who are not familiar with webOS. There should be an incentive for them to at least ask the question why should I pick a webOS tablet over iPad 2? Without more users there will be no apps and without apps there will be no mindshare. Sony and Microsoft both understand this otherwise they would not have sold their HD consoles at a loss for so long. For all intents and purposes this won't be a loss for HP as APPLE sells its devices at a premium and HP Touchpad has innards that should be cheaper than Apple's iPad.

Investing in a newcomer is hard because you don't know if they will succeed, but to see a company not learning from past mistakes is even harder. We are webOS enthusiasts, people who like what the creators have done with this OS. We are championing their products for free because we like their product. It would be a shame for HP to not listen to what we are saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Your hypothesis only works if voters actually believe that the ultimate price of the Touchpad is somehow going to be influenced by the poll on this thread.
    Which, of course, it won't be. This is why we, the WebOS fans, need to be working on letting people know why we want the TouchPad. So far, based on my enthusiasm and my Pre (original Pre, still in good condition 22 months after purchase), at least three TouchPads are going to be purchased (me, my girlfriend, and another friend). Others want to see what it looks like first, and that might generate another 2-3 sales. Work is also going to consider exploring the use of WebOS, though I will have to be objective about recommendations there based on how much we can control it. Still, it's got a chance because of my evangelism.

Instead of being negative over the price, be positive over the features and work on doing some of the selling yourselves.
    HP's normal sales strategy is to price slightly higher than what they want and then run discounts, coupons, and bundles. If the TouchPad sits at the release price for more than month without one of those 3 things, I'd be surprised.
    There methods to control webos in the enterprise:

\MaaS360 Cloud

MobileIron is Picking up webos

I would hope Boxtone and the other vendors will pick this up also.
    That's a really tiny list of controls. Look at the Android and iPhone lists to compare. If that's the extent of control available, I will be placing WebOS in the same bucket as Android: not recommended for our use.

The degree of control available over iOS is stunning and necessary; we can even transmit all SMS and MMS messages to a central server for monitoring and review with some solutions. We need to be able to force install and removal of specific applications, require PIN implementation, roll out VPN configurations, automatically install user certificates for authentication, selectively delete data, and ideally get reports of phone and data usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    That's a really tiny list of controls. Look at the Android and iPhone lists to compare. If that's the extent of control available, I will be placing WebOS in the same bucket as Android: not recommended for our use.

The degree of control available over iOS is stunning and necessary; we can even transmit all SMS and MMS messages to a central server for monitoring and review with some solutions. We need to be able to force install and removal of specific applications, require PIN implementation, roll out VPN configurations, automatically install user certificates for authentication, selectively delete data, and ideally get reports of phone and data usage.
    I know this is wishful thinking, but I hope there will be better management controls once webos gains traction.

By the way, can you say what vendor you use?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I know this is wishful thinking, but I hope there will be better management controls once webos gains traction.

By the way, can you say what vendor you use?
    We haven't settled on one yet. We've looked at Good, McAfee Enterprise Mobility Manager, ZenPrise, MobileIron, and one or two others. We've also looked at the small-scale solutions such as Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility and simple use of ActiveSync.

For our needs, the small-scale solutions just don't do enough as we're going to have anywhere from several hundred to several thousand users. The others each have their strengths and weaknesses. For examply, Good encapsulates all the corporate data in the app but doesn't have as granular control over the device, ZenPrise allows you to specify enterprise- and personally-owned devices but certificate auto-enrollment is iffy, MobileIron has cert auto-enroll but it's missing a few nice features ZenPrise has, etc.

Most of them offer little or no support for WebOS. I configured it to connect to ActiveSync, which was handy for a bit but I don't know the Exchange guys for that account and I didn't trust them not to wipe my phone, which would have been irritating to say the least.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In fact it is the iPad that has the IPS display.
    Ah, to make it really clear that is WRONG. HP.com Store TouchPad Specs says TouchPad has IPS, is it dumb they haven't been more clear? Perhaps, but you did make a claim berfore checking your facts.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    so half says its not a good idea. hp, listening?
    I think they are trying to put a value into their "brand" by pricing it the same.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    if you want a cheap Touchpad, get the Touchpad7 in august/september, will cost 50-100 bucks less than the 10-inch version...
    yes, i understand that reasoning, the real question is if it will work, and half of the poll says no. small sample size, i know, but people here actually know something about webOS, for those who don't. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    if you want a cheap Touchpad, get the Touchpad7 in august/september, will cost 50-100 bucks less than the 10-inch version...
    first, we dont actually know it will be cheaper.

then, how will hp convey this messege to a buyer walking into a store in next several months? asking a buyer, who brings money to a store, to wait a month or two, for an unknown product, is difficult. its more likely a lost sale.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I think they are trying to put a value into their "brand" by pricing it the same.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I honestly don't think it's that bad of an idea. We only know the market as it is right now. Who knows where we'll be in 2-3 years, heck even in 1 with things moving so fast. HP are playing a confident card and frankly from an experience POV, we all know that webOS is the only competitor to iOS in the tablet space.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Just remembered this thread. Looks like it wasn't a good idea to give the Touchpad the same price point as the iPad . . .

Before the results are changed:
    Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!
    25 votes - 15.43%
    No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.
    79 votes - 48.77%
    No idea
    24 votes - 14.81%
    It won't matter
    34 votes - 20.99%
    Voters: 162.
    Kind of amusing to vote in a poll where you already know the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    Just remembered this thread. Looks like it wasn't a good idea to give the Touchpad the same price point as the iPad . . .
    Aye I always knew it would come back to bite them in the *** If anything they should have priced it at right around what it cost them to manufacture this device. Supposedly $250 for the 16 and $300 for the 32. Then charge more for a future model/revisions. If they were priced like that I think they would have done just fine to pretty well. Also if they were worried about profits in the short term they should have followed Apple's lead and started taking a cut from app purchases.
  20.    #120  
    Yep, HP, I told ya so. ...
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast