View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

    25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

    92 52.57%
  • No idea

    24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

    34 19.43%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    different market... lol, if they are targeting different market, why so many comparison from everywhere?
    Perhaps because „everyone from everywhere“ don't get it. I don't mean they are totally different products, but they have different focal points and thus different target markets.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hamandel View Post
    As I stated in another thread, I guess the TouchPad and the iPad are two different kind of platforms. The iPad is a computing platform, the TouchPad seems to be a work/phone accessory, but means no paradigm shift. That's why it won't matter what it's priced at, it has rather different markets.
    BlackBerry sold through IT departments who had a stranglehold on employees. The iPhone smashed that tyranny and it is not coming back. It is the consumer side that now drives employee device requisitions.

    Best Buy and others have the Apple products off in their own little world. But the rest will be laid out by price at Best Buy and everywhere else:

    $399 Asus Transformer
    $449 Acer Iconia
    $449 Toshiba
    $499 Samsung 10.1
    $599 HP TouchPad
    $599 Xoom

    NVidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said this week that tablet must "...be more affordable." The $599 Xoom sales hit a wall the day the $449 Iconia came in. There is no reason a tablet cannot be at the same $250 price-point as the netbooks.

    No one will care that the Samsung is lighter and thinner. The Asus has the same microSD, 5MP rear camera, HDMI, but with a better display and is $100 cheaper.

    Samsung may not get it but consumers and retailers see tablets in the same aisle. Literally.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    BlackBerry sold through IT departments who had a stranglehold on employees. The iPhone smashed that tyranny and it is not coming back. It is the consumer side that now drives employee device requisitions.

    Best Buy and others have the Apple products off in their own little world. But the rest will be laid out by price at Best Buy and everywhere else:

    $399 Asus Transformer
    $449 Acer Iconia
    $449 Toshiba
    $499 Samsung 10.1
    $599 HP TouchPad
    $599 Xoom

    NVidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said this week that tablet must "...be more affordable." The $599 Xoom sales hit a wall the day the $449 Iconia came in. There is no reason a tablet cannot be at the same $250 price-point as the netbooks.

    No one will care that the Samsung is lighter and thinner. The Asus has the same microSD, 5MP rear camera, HDMI, but with a better display and is $100 cheaper.

    Samsung may not get it but consumers and retailers see tablets in the same aisle. Literally.
    You people are killing me lol. You can't have it both ways, either the thinness and lightness of the iPad is the reason people choose it's hardware over others or it's not.

    You can't say no one will care the GTab10 is thinner and lighter than iPad2 when this is the professed reason iPad2 is chosen.

    Also $599 is the price of the 32GB version same as iP2. The 16GB version will be $499.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's possible that manufacturing efficiencies benefit all tablet brands to the same degree if all of the components are the same but they are clearly not. You're telling me that Apple doesn't lower it's per unit costs by making 30 million tablets per year than they would at 3 million?
    1. how much lower?
    2. is HP gonna sent representative to every store to beg buyers to understand their financial calculation?

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    You people are killing me lol. You can't have it both ways, either the thinness and lightness of the iPad is the reason people choose it's hardware over others or it's not.

    You can't say no one will care the GTab10 is thinner and lighter than iPad2 when this is the professed reason iPad2 is chosen.

    Also $599 is the price of the 32GB version same as iP2. The 16GB version will be $499.
    Its obvious and Im surprised you couldn't see:

    Its apple vs. everything else. Apple is selling iPad with their brand. Everybody else is trying sell their tabs with better specs (and lower prices in ASUS's case).

    Only HP is selling the touchpad without an apple level brand, nor android tab level hardware or price. Its indeed dammed from both ends.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Hahahhahaha ok...seriously we get it. You're an App head, the TouchPad isn't for you! Cool story bro!

    App head... more like AppLe head. Funny, apps is the same argument used by apple guys when android first launched. I don't know about you, but I don't hear that one used much nowadays.

    HP can't WIN in apps initially, they HAVE to WIN in other categories. HP is banking on its name, slightly better hardware, and superior OS to win. Apple is banking on Apps and that whole Apple thing. Asus has to bank on price to be good enough. Thats all they got.

    You brought up guitars, why is it that real guitar players buy expensive tube amps based on caveman age electronics? They like the sound it gives them. Other people follow the "real" guitarists lead and buy whatever's expensive because they think it will make them a better guitar player for it. If we had to compare tablets to guitar amps Asus would be a Line6. Sure it works, is 4-10x lower the price, and has a million features but you won't get any respect from tone snobs. As far as brand goes I would say Apple is, ironically, Orange, and HP would be a solid Vox, Fender, or Marshall. HP is a household name, Asus, maybe in our households but no where else. The rest of the tablet manufacturers, well many people would buy a phone from them but a computer is a little different.

    The tablet world is currently about respect from having that cool new thing to show off. Tablets are a luxury. If it were about utility and value netbooks would have "won."

    HP can do this without a billion Apps at launch, they just need a solid core of big names to "show off". No one else launched with a ton either, because theres no other way to get apps.

    Biggest fodder for the trolls here is the fact that HP hasn't released really any of their app info yet. You really think they've been twiddling their thumbs? Worst part is trolls like you boogie love spitting their SNOT everywhere, whether they have a point or not. So when HP does come out with some great starter apps, I'm sure they won't be good enough for you. Go take another bite of that Apple bro.
    your sad post is nothing more then inflammatory name calling that seeks to avoid real topic of discussion in favor of personal attacks. The topic was that the guy said the "only thing lacking" in the touchpad was cameras. I've done nothing but dispute that claim because it's flat out wrong because the thousands of apps, garageband, is merely one example provide functionality that you can't get on a touchpad. That is one big other thing lacking. As we know it now that's the facts. There are many things like, compose and record musical compositions like in garageband (and many other applications) that if you want to do on a Touchpad you can't. And that's just one example. There are many things a customer will say they may want to do and a tablet needs to provide. it could be make music, watch a certain channel live, track fantasy sports, or moniter a Walmart warehouse supply.

    Your response is go buy an Ipad. That's not a solution to a hole in the product. That doesn't help HP. My response is "hey HP, provide me solutions to what i want to do." Your response loses a customer. Mine helps keep a customers. What's truly sad is that rather then acknowledge a problem and seek to solve it you just name call and would send a customer away. That's not how HP is gonna win. It's providing the most customers with the most solutions to their problems.
  6. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No one will care that the Samsung is lighter and thinner. The Asus has the same microSD, 5MP rear camera, HDMI, but with a better display and is $100 cheaper.

    Samsung may not get it but consumers and retailers see tablets in the same aisle. Literally.
    People will care that the Samsung tablet is lighter and thinner, and I for one am one of those people. If I didn't care that much, I could've quite easily picked up a Transformer by now, as I said before.

    I think that there are two price points which will emerge. There's the $500 "premium," category, with the iPad 2 and the Samsung 10.1, i.e. products with exceptional hardware design, exceptionally light and thin, and then there's the $400 (or thereabouts) "budget," category. This category will generally be a little bulkier and weightier, but will likely have better specs in other areas (I/O connections particularly). After some time, there'll likely also be a sub $400 super budget category, but I don't think that the hardware quality here will be brilliant.

    I think it's entirely reasonable that there are margets for both the $400 "budget," models and the $500 "premium," models, much as with laptops. $100 is not a great deal of money at all.

    The problem with the TouchPad is that it's charging the "premium," price for a below "budget," experience.
  7. #87  
    I don't see the Touchpad as a below budget experience.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I don't see the Touchpad as a below budget experience.
    The trolls and haters on this site don't care (all reported btw) that the TPad has the same rez, same ppi, faster cpu, more ram, better ffc, inductive charging and webOS the BEST mobile os as stated by EVERY major tech editor.

    This thread is just going in circles and peeps are violating the new rules, this will be closed soon.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    The trolls and haters on this site don't care (all reported btw) that the TPad has the same rez, same ppi, faster cpu, more ram, better ffc, inductive charging and webOS the BEST mobile os as stated by EVERY major tech editor.

    This thread is just going in circles and peeps are violating the new rules, this will be closed soon.
    compare to iPad, u forgot to mention thicker, no rear cam, less apps, plastic.

    compare to android tablets, its more inferior in hardware department, and more expensive.

    Its those "haters, trolls" that actually opened eyes and looked at the market and worried.

    Its you who only look at one side and are completely blinded by wishful thinking.

    Which one is more helpful to the success of touchpad? Blind optimism? or realistic suggestions?
  10. #90  
    i say... realistic suggestions.
  11. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    compare to iPad, u forgot to mention thicker, no rear cam, less apps, plastic.

    compare to android tablets, its more inferior in hardware department, and more expensive.

    Its those "haters, trolls" that actually opened eyes and looked at the market and worried.

    Its you who only look at one side and are completely blinded by wishful thinking.

    Which one is more helpful to the success of touchpad? Blind optimism? or realistic suggestions?
    Exactly. It's inferior because it's at the more premium price point (same price as iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1), but doesn't have the hardware OR software to go with that. Its hardware is more akin to the $100 cheaper ("budget") Transformer or Iconia Tab - i.e. heavier and thicker than those in the same $500 price range.

    Either they should price it accordingly with the current hardware ($400) or revise the hardware if they want to charge $500 for it (like Samsung did).
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    your sad post is nothing more then inflammatory name calling that seeks to avoid real topic of discussion in favor of personal attacks. The topic was that the guy said the "only thing lacking" in the touchpad was cameras. I've done nothing but dispute that claim because it's flat out wrong because the thousands of apps, garageband, is merely one example provide functionality that you can't get on a touchpad. That is one big other thing lacking. As we know it now that's the facts. There are many things like, compose and record musical compositions like in garageband (and many other applications) that if you want to do on a Touchpad you can't. And that's just one example. There are many things a customer will say they may want to do and a tablet needs to provide. it could be make music, watch a certain channel live, track fantasy sports, or moniter a Walmart warehouse supply.

    Your response is go buy an Ipad. That's not a solution to a hole in the product. That doesn't help HP. My response is "hey HP, provide me solutions to what i want to do." Your response loses a customer. Mine helps keep a customers. What's truly sad is that rather then acknowledge a problem and seek to solve it you just name call and would send a customer away. That's not how HP is gonna win. It's providing the most customers with the most solutions to their problems.
    Everyone has their one thing they want to do. What I'm saying while Apple can do everything for everyone, HP can't, yet. By getting some apps they can still steal away those whose bases the TouchPad does cover. Its not for you since you require apps to record and edit music. If HP doesn't announce some software for that then its probably the iPad for you.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  13. #93  
    I'm really starting to question if my budget can absorb the touchpad now. The 599 price for the 32, the 80 touchstone and the 50 case brings it up to 729. Now compared to the amd fusion netbooks and even full on laptops it stops being remotely competitive even when you take into account size/portability/batterylife.

    I want one, mainly because I'm a gadget nerd ontop of the fact that I travel quite a bit, but I dont think I can justify it at the price, if they touchpad itself was 399 for 32 I would have no problem I think, at 499 could probrably do it but would still need to think about it.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    I'm really starting to question if my budget can absorb the touchpad now. The 599 price for the 32, the 80 touchstone and the 50 case brings it up to 729. Now compared to the amd fusion netbooks and even full on laptops it stops being remotely competitive even when you take into account size/portability/batterylife.

    I want one, mainly because I'm a gadget nerd ontop of the fact that I travel quite a bit, but I dont think I can justify it at the price, if they touchpad itself was 399 for 32 I would have no problem I think, at 499 could probrably do it but would still need to think about it.
    Could always get a TouchPad barebones, then get the accessories at a later date.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Could always get a TouchPad barebones, then get the accessories at a later date.
    yeah, could leave the touchstone but for me thats a fairly integral part of webos, how else am I going to charge it wirelessly? But I may have to wait, I would pay 50 for it but 80 seems quite steep for a charging dock.

    Case, depending on what comes with the touchpad however is critical from a safety/preservation aspect for me.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    yeah, could leave the touchstone but for me thats a fairly integral part of webos, how else am I going to charge it wirelessly? But I may have to wait, I would pay 50 for it but 80 seems quite steep for a charging dock.

    Case, depending on what comes with the touchpad however is critical from a safety/preservation aspect for me.
    I could see how the touchstone is 'integral' to something like the Veer or Pre where you need to charge daily (for some, multiple times a day) but on a device like the TouchPad (assuming it gets equal to better battery life than the iPad) you may only need to charge once or twice a week.
  17. chillg8r's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #97  
    If I were advising HP I would suggest they buy marketshare by including the charger and coming in at $50 below the IPad2. They can always go upscale once a market has been established. IMO, HP does not have the esteem in this market and the product is not sufficiently superior to get any traction at the same price. ( I am a palm user since the 90's) the Japanese have been doing this successfully for decades. The Koreans are now following the Japanese model in the auto industry. All of this assumes that HP wants to sell a lot of units out of the box, maybe they wat to get their feet wet first and make a splash next year, inn which case this strategy is fine. JMO
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Ultimately, the knock on the TP is that there simply will be no compelling reason to recommend one over an iPad.
    Err - what?

    OK - notifications are way better but I agree that's not in the compelling department. Multi-tasking cards could be compelling for some - but let's say that's not compelling either.

    But flash support will be compelling for many.
    I'm not even a fan of flash. Can't wait for it to die and loose to HTML 5.

    *But* a lot of the web uses it. And even though - due to the IPhones and IPads success - many web pages try to do without now, there's still a lot of content that goes invisible/unusable without flash. A lot of games for starters.

    And before somebody mentions slow flash. Slow is still better than none, as long as it's not glacially slow.

    A friend of mine recently got the Ipad (she already is a Mac and IPhone user) and now intends to get rid of it again. Main reason: Lack of flash. Too much of what she's used to access didn't work because of that.

    And with the Touchpad there is reason to think that Flash will get faster while Adobe spends resources optimizing it. Apple OTOH is pretty much committed to ignore Flash and wait out it (slow, multi-year) death. Actually - given that Android and webos will be able to run Flash and the combined market share of all those devices is likely to take market share from the IPad (similar to how IPhone started big - but now gradually looses to the multitude of what the competition can offer) Flash might be here to stay for much longer than Apple planned for.

    Apple has actually only 3 things on its side for the IPad:
    1. App store size (Android is competitive here)
    2. Apple brand name
    3. ITunes media libraries

    These are strong points. Very strong actually.

    But there's also weaknesses. On specs they often get beaten by the competition. Same with bang for the buck.
    The brand also backfires with some percentage of the market. Apple is becoming the new Microsoft of the mobile era. The successful dominant company that is arrogant, has annoying policies and increasingly alienates partners and customers.
    And while carriers and other business partners are happy to make money by selling Apple products - they also are wary of Apple becoming too big and dominating. That's why carriers are happy to also offer Android, WP7 and soon again webos. They want and need credible competition to Apple.

    While weak in apps for now, HP webos also comes with a strong well known brand and due to recent buys might be able to offer media content.
    On overall features the Touchpad is ahead of the IPad (though that depends a lot on individual preferences).

    Offering the TP for a slightly lower price is useless. If people would rather have an IPad they simply get the IPad and pay 30$ extra.
    So to really differentiate on price they would have to undercut a lot (100$+).
    That has many disadvantages.
    * It will create the subconscious impression of an inferior product (why is it so much cheaper than the market leader?)
    * Retailers will make less money - providing an additional reason for salespeople to push it much less than the IPad.
    * It will show up in financial statements as a failed device - not making enough or any money for HP (HP probably already has to deal with higher unit costs - due to Apple already busy buying up a lot of the components earlier)

    IMHO the headline price needs to be very close to the IPad. Then HP can always do "promotions", "bundles" and "short time only special rebates" to effectively lower the price, while giving customers the good feeling that they got a prime product at a great price.

    IMHO the Touchpad is the all-around more capable device and has the better OS compared to IPad. Except of course the app market. The app market is the big problem here and the area where HP needs to throw money at the problem - not subsidizing the TP.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    @clevin, sorry missed your point before. Yes the TP should cost no more for Invetec to produce than it costs Foxconn to produce the iPad. In fact it is the iPad that has the IPS display.

    There is no need for the TP to cost more than the iPad.
    Apple rep to OEM: We want 10 m unit ASAP, with almost certain additional 30 m units by the end of the year.

    HP rep to OEM: We expect a really good take-off for our shiny new platform. Give us a good price on 1 m units ASAP with option for another 3-5 m by the end of the year.

    And that's without reports about how Apple was buying out certain components (like displays) months ago.

    I'm cautiously optimistic about webos future. But at the moment the unit costs will be higher due to economies of scale.

    Also Apple gets a lot of free advertisement. The blogosphere goes crazy on the lightest rumor of a new Apple device.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  20. Doz007's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #100  
    If HP do go with the iPad price point they have to include the touchstone charging dock in the box. This will add both functionality and value for the consumer whilst retaining the premium price point that HP clearly wants.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions