View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

92 52.57%
  • No idea

24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

34 19.43%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    @clevin, sorry missed your point before. Yes the TP should cost no more for Invetec to produce than it costs Foxconn to produce the iPad. In fact it is the iPad that has the IPS display.

There is no need for the TP to cost more than the iPad.
    It does worry me that HP is strictly comparing the touchpad with the iPad, totally neglecting the god-knows how many android tablets getting cheaper and cheaper. Cheap is good for customers but bad for the companies in the long run from selling a product at a loss which will eventually suck for us when they make cuts to the product and eventually stop it all together. Also pricing products cheaper than the median produces a stigma that the product is "low grade" and may get overlooked when techy peeps want the biggest baddest thing out there. In this sea of tablets already out there, maybe making it stand out with higher pricetag could work.

Other things to consider is after time, the vendors will do their own specials and HP does love them e-coupons so the 599.00 USD pricetag may not be as bad as you think. Also when the carrier-branded ones come out those will have subsidizes.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Whoa! There are many people posting in this thread that are on some serious "stuff". (Remember to pass people)

First statement is that the TPad is somehow an inferior device... Need I remind people that this device was the FIRST off Qualcomm's line with the DC1.2ghz 8060. Second, this chart posted on PC previously...

Uh, the only thing "lacking" on the TPad is the rear camera and .7mp on the front camera, which the TPad FFC is more than double that of the iP2.

Secondly the performance of webOS. (I won't rehash the merits of webOS as it is *widely* accepted by all the tech people that matter that webOS is the superior experience, this is fact, pull any tech journal you wish) Sound like those people are basing their impressions on Feb 9th which has long been optimized and is flying as evidenced in this video:

Thirdly, as the TPad has BETTER specs than iP2 (cpu,ram, ffc) they can EASILY justify charging the same as their pad which is actually LESS money than people would have paid if the iP2 had the better specs. So your $499 is getting you a FASTER pad with a BETTER OS.

Lastly Marketing. Are you on it for real?? Do you know how many HUGE names HP has marketing deals with...????

-Dr. Dre
    -Shaun White
    -Serena Williams
    -Jay-z
    -Pharrell
    -Mark Cuban
    -Micheal Gondry
    -Jerry Seinfeld
    -Manny Paquiao
    -LeBron James

YouTube - ‪hp commercials‬‏

The bridge tromping on here is really getting out of control...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There is no way that HP can produce the TP at the same price Apple can produce the iPad at with so many fewer economies of scale. HP will have to price the TP to match the iPad and will probably not even break even.
    I dont believe for a second HP is selling touchpad for a loss. LEts dont portray HP as a victim here. Its a greedy corporation like all others.

Nobody is selling tablet in the numbers like iPad, that didn't stop ASUS from putting out a tablet at $399.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Whoa! There are many people posting in this thread that are on some serious "stuff". (Remember to pass people)

First statement is that the TPad is somehow an inferior device... Need I remind people that this device was the FIRST off Qualcomm's line with the DC1.2ghz 8060. Second, this chart posted on PC previously...
    lets see:
    no rear cam
    no SD
    no HDMI
    smaller battery
    low screen resolution
    limited apps
    same size, but thicker

Maybe not much inferier
    but definitely not "better"

Uh, the only thing "lacking" on the TPad is the rear camera and .7mp on the front camera, which the TPad FFC is more than double that of the iP2.

Secondly the performance of webOS. (I won't rehash the merits of webOS as it is *widely* accepted by all the tech people that matter that webOS is the superior experience, this is fact, pull any tech journal you wish) Sound like those people are basing their impressions on Feb 9th which has long been optimized and is flying as evidenced in this video:

I whole-heartily agree, except I don't believe that will transfer into a significant factor when a buyer walking into a store. EEE pad's $399 price will easily trump webOS.
    Thirdly, as the TPad has BETTER specs than iP2 (cpu,ram, ffc) they can EASILY justify charging the same as their pad which is actually LESS money than people would have paid if the iP2 had the better specs. So your $499 is getting you a FASTER pad with a BETTER OS.
    yeah, XOOM cam easily justify its price too, that didn't stop it went bust. Not to mention Touchpad has no SD, no rear camera, no HDMI, low screen resolution, much less available apps.
    Lastly Marketing. Are you on it for real?? Do you know how many HUGE names HP has marketing deals with...????
    I don't see apple using any big name actors or singers, and how is that marketing?

Spending big money on actors etc to make a dumb ads is exactly the problem for HP. absolutely no imagination, just throwing out money blindly.
    Last edited by clevin; 05/21/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    HP doesn't have economies of scale? That's a new one...
    ...Uh, the only thing "lacking" on the TPad is the rear camera and .7mp on the front camera, which the TPad FFC is more than double that of the iP2....
    That chart is from months ago. There are two new tablets compared here.

By the middle of June the products laid out by price at Best Buy will be (except Apple in its own little world):

$399 Asus Transformer
    $449 Acer Iconia, Toshiba
    $499 Samsung 10.1

The rep walks the prospect along showing them the added specs for each price jump. The Samsung is the thinnest and lightest tablet. These all have 5MP rear 1080p camera and 1280x800 and 200k apps. Add 16 GB more for $26.

But by the time you are up to the $499 Samsung you may see the prospect looking back at the $399 Transformer.

Forget the higher def, thinner, lighter, HDMI, and rear camera.

$399 was the spec Samsung needed to match.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/21/2011 at 07:43 PM.
    seems amazingly naive and willfully blind to ignore the 60,000+ ipad specific apps. Clearly there are plenty of things we know you can do with an ipad, add likely some other tablets then you can do with a touchpad.

For example, What program on a touchpad allows you to plug in any guitar and turn a touchpad into a guitar amp or make it a drum machine while recording and editing music creations like garage band does? This is what you do with a tablet. Specs can be one thing but what you actually do with a platform is what people are buying. And people want the option to do everything. I think any unbiased assessment of the touchpad has to account for the app gap a negative that has to be addressed and something that will deter buyers if it is not addressed quickly.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 05/21/2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    seems amazingly naive and willfully blind to ignore the 60,000+ ipad specific apps. Clearly there are plenty of things we know you can do with an ipad, add likely some other tablets then you can do with a touchpad.

For example, What program on a touchpad allows you to plug in any guitar and turn a touchpad into a guitar amp or make it a drum machine while recording and editing music creations like garage band does? This is what you do with a tablet. Specs can be one thing but what you actually do with a platform is what people are buying. And people want the option to do everything. I think any unbiased assessment of the touchpad has to account for the app gap a negative that has to be addressed and something that will deter buyers if it is not addressed quickly.
    Uh, recheck the post there buddy...we're talking hardware here. Yes, HP doesn't have those apps right now. There was also no Kindle or Magazine Apps and both Amazon and Time came out to show their apps to the world. You REALLY think it's only those two?? lmao.

And regardless of what apps iPad gets, NONE of them can add 512MB more RAM or make you look less grainy to your video callers through their ABYSMAL VGA FFC. So yeah, hardware.
    Uh, recheck the post there buddy...we're talking hardware here. Yes, HP doesn't have those apps right now. There was also no Kindle or Magazine Apps and both Amazon and Time came out to show their apps to the world. You REALLY think it's only those two?? lmao.

And regardless of what apps iPad gets, NONE of them can add 512MB more RAM or make you look less grainy to your video callers through their ABYSMAL VGA FFC. So yeah, hardware.
    the question would then be, why android tablets, with better specs than iPad 2, and better specs than touchpad, are priced same or $100 lower.

That's just a little bit, here's more:

Nanos trio v2
    MicW release i436
    iConnectMIDI
    iStreamer for audiophiles
    Yamaha’s MIDI solution for iOS
    Apogee Mike
    Apogee Jam
    Mic Stand Mount for iPad
    NAMM 2011 – Alesis Studiodock
    NAMM 2011 – Synthstation 49 Keyboard

iPad attachments

The above is just the first page, did not feel like looking through the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I voted "it won't matter", since I expect the prices to fall shortly after its introduction.
    don't have access to a "Thank" button on the mobile site.. so I'll just say..

this.

nope. we are not just talking software and neither is anyone buying. No i don't but i'm not gonna list all 60000 areas where HP is missing apps. That's the point. What does it offer to fill those spots? right now Nothing. You ignore that as nothing? I don't and neither will consumers because multitasking doesn't bring more then geeks and if there's no apps what are you gonna multitask anyways.

And you just proved my point. there are many many more apps. That's just a bigger place where the touchpad is lacking. So i ask again. what app on the touchpad can do that with a guitar?

Hardware is useless with little to use it for. That may work with the geek squad but not most consumers. Most are just like me. They have no clue how much ram a tablet has. Hell i had no clue how much ram my pre had until i found out about overclocking it. That's how most people are. They aren't like you. worrying about 512 of ram.
    nope. we are not just talking software and neither is anyone buying. No i don't but i'm not gonna list all 60000 areas where HP is missing apps. That's the point. What does it offer to fill those spots? right now Nothing. You ignore that as nothing? I don't and neither will consumers because multitasking doesn't bring more then geeks and if there's no apps what are you gonna multitask anyways.

And you just proved my point. there are many many more apps. That's just a bigger place where the touchpad is lacking. So i ask again. what app on the touchpad can do that with a guitar?

Hardware is useless with little to use it for. That may work with the geek squad but not most consumers. Most are just like me. They have no clue how much ram a tablet has. Hell i had no clue how much ram my pre had until i found out about overclocking it. That's how most people are. They aren't like you. worrying about 512 of ram.

Hahahhahaha ok...seriously we get it. You're an App head, the TouchPad isn't for you! Cool story bro!

App head... more like AppLe head. Funny, apps is the same argument used by apple guys when android first launched. I don't know about you, but I don't hear that one used much nowadays.

HP can't WIN in apps initially, they HAVE to WIN in other categories. HP is banking on its name, slightly better hardware, and superior OS to win. Apple is banking on Apps and that whole Apple thing. Asus has to bank on price to be good enough. Thats all they got.

You brought up guitars, why is it that real guitar players buy expensive tube amps based on caveman age electronics? They like the sound it gives them. Other people follow the "real" guitarists lead and buy whatever's expensive because they think it will make them a better guitar player for it. If we had to compare tablets to guitar amps Asus would be a Line6. Sure it works, is 4-10x lower the price, and has a million features but you won't get any respect from tone snobs. As far as brand goes I would say Apple is, ironically, Orange, and HP would be a solid Vox, Fender, or Marshall. HP is a household name, Asus, maybe in our households but no where else. The rest of the tablet manufacturers, well many people would buy a phone from them but a computer is a little different.

The tablet world is currently about respect from having that cool new thing to show off. Tablets are a luxury. If it were about utility and value netbooks would have "won."

HP can do this without a billion Apps at launch, they just need a solid core of big names to "show off". No one else launched with a ton either, because theres no other way to get apps.

Biggest fodder for the trolls here is the fact that HP hasn't released really any of their app info yet. You really think they've been twiddling their thumbs? Worst part is trolls like you boogie love spitting their SNOT everywhere, whether they have a point or not. So when HP does come out with some great starter apps, I'm sure they won't be good enough for you. Go take another bite of that Apple bro.
    Last edited by JayhawkOne; 05/22/2011 at 05:36 AM.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Hahahhahaha ok...seriously we get it. You're an App head, the TouchPad isn't for you! Cool story bro!

App head... more like AppLe head. Funny, apps is the same argument used by apple guys when android first launched. I don't know about you, but I don't hear that one used much nowadays.

HP can't WIN in apps initially, they HAVE to WIN in other categories. HP is banking on its name, slightly better hardware, and superior OS to win. Apple is banking on Apps and that whole Apple thing. Asus has to bank on price to be good enough. Thats all they got.

You brought up guitars, why is it that real guitar players buy expensive tube amps based on caveman age electronics? They like the sound it gives them. Other people follow the "real" guitarists lead and buy whatever's expensive because they think it will make them a better guitar player for it. If we had to compare tablets to guitar amps Asus would be a Line6. Sure it works, is 4-10x lower the price, and has a million features but you won't get any respect from tone snobs. As far as brand goes I would say Apple is, ironically, Orange, and HP would be a solid Vox, Fender, or Marshall. HP is a household name, Asus, maybe in our households but no where else. The rest of the tablet manufacturers, well many people would buy a phone from them but a computer is a little different.

The tablet world is currently about respect from having that cool new thing to show off. Tablets are a luxury. If it were about utility and value netbooks would have "won."

HP can do this without a billion Apps at launch, they just need a solid core of big names to "show off". No one else launched with a ton either, because theres no other way to get apps.

Biggest fodder for the trolls here is the fact that HP hasn't released really any of their app info yet. You really think they've been twiddling their thumbs? Worst part is trolls like you boogie love spitting their SNOT everywhere, whether they have a point or not. So when HP does come out with some great starter apps, I'm sure they won't be good enough for you. Go take another bite of that Apple bro.
    Wow, allot of name calling. Probably could have made your point without all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Wow, allot of name calling. Probably could have made your point without all that.
    I called him a sheep. I think he can deal.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    H

The most important factor in "other categories" is price.

Both names of apple and google are bigger than HP in this market, there is no reason for HP to think its name will make this thing sell any more than google android can.

For users, its apple, and everything else. HP isn't apple, and among all "others" touchpad's specs are at the lower spectrum.

It is about cool new thing, and it is about luxury, thats why its about brand, and looks. HP just simply can't win here. Touchpad is bigger, thicker, heavier, black, plastic, lower resolution. It's not bad looking all by itself, but there are a lot to compare to.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    $399 Asus Transformer
    $449 Acer Iconia, Toshiba
    $499 Samsung 10.1

The rep walks the prospect along showing them the added specs for each price jump. The Samsung is the thinnest and lightest tablet. These all have 5MP rear 1080p camera and 1280x800 and 200k apps. Add 16 GB more for $26.

But by the time you are up to the $499 Samsung you may see the prospect looking back at the $399 Transformer.

Forget the higher def, thinner, lighter, HDMI, and rear camera.

$399 was the spec Samsung needed to match.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think there's definitely a market for both devices, at the two different price points. A lot of people will be happy to spend the extra money on the thinner, lighter, more premium feeling/looking device, just as many will be happy to "save," $100 on a slightly weightier device, depending on how and where they plan to use it.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Samsung (and am toying with getting the 64GB instead of the 32GB, depending on if there eventually turns out to be a SD slot or not in the WiFi version), so could be in for $600. My situation's a little different as I'm British and will be buying in the US on vacation, and the price of even the 64GB WiFi Samsung is STILL cheaper than the price of a 32GB Transformer if paying in £ (GBP) for the Transformer here, so to me it's still a bit of a bargain, even though to you guys $600 might seem a lot. Still, there's a lot of excitement for the Samsung from what I've read online, and I think it'll do very well. In fact, I'm a little nervous about finding one when I'm on vacation...

The TouchPad on the other hand, will be an absolute bomb. It's not a terrible product, but for the price it's not competitive. Add in the general performance of webOS, poor support (i.e. GMail support - no threaded messaging, etc.), app situation, etc. and it's not an attractive deal at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ...There is no way that HP can produce the TouchPad at the same price Apple can produce the iPad at with so many fewer economies of scale. HP will have to price the TouchPad to match the iPad and will probably not even break even.
    HP and Apple don't produce tablets. There are no HP or Apple tablet factories. There used to be HP factories but that was a long time ago.

Companies like Inventec, Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), Compal, and Quanta make tablets, netbooks, laptops and PC's.

Foxconn had huge economies of scale long before it picked up the Apple contracts. Still, Apple is just one brand that Foxconn manufactures under.

As PreCentral reported and confirmed, the TouchPad is made by Inventec. Inventec make Nooks and other tablets totaling 4 million tablets in 2010Q4 alone. Inventec makes huge volumes of smartphones and Chrome Netbooks. Inventec also make 30 million notebooks a year for companies like HP and Toshiba. They also make HP servers.

It is Inventec's economy of scale that is keeping the unit cost near $200. If HP produced the TouchPad their cost would be many times that.

The TouchPad does not have an IPS display, 3G or 4G radios,etc. It costs less than the iPad 2 to make. HP could have made an even greater profit at the $499 price-point than Apple.

As an aside, PreCentral reported that Foxconn and Compal are making the Pre 3 and Veer and other webOS devices to be introduced later this year. Asus, HTC, Compal and a list of others made Treos. Palm quit using Acme after a series of unfortunate events.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/22/2011 at 09:08 PM.
    As I stated in another thread, I guess the TouchPad and the iPad are two different kind of platforms. The iPad is a computing platform, the TouchPad seems to be a work/phone accessory, but means no paradigm shift. That's why it won't matter what it's priced at, it has rather different markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamandel View Post
    As I stated in another thread, I guess the TouchPad and the iPad are two different kind of platforms. The iPad is a computing platform, the TouchPad seems to be a work/phone accessory, but means no paradigm shift. That's why it won't matter what it's priced at, it has rather different markets.
    different market... lol, if they are targeting different market, why so many comparison from everywhere?

if a computing platform "only" costs $499. Are we really expecting users to spend that much on an "phone accessory"?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast