View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

92 52.57%
  • No idea

24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

34 19.43%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    He may have said that for the investors but...
    2. They have $40.78 billion in the bank
    where did you get that number from?

Cash and Short Term Investments 12,738.00
    No Long Term Investments
    Long Term Debt 14,512.00

Financial Statements for Hewlett-Packard Company - Google Finance

HP needs to price webOS devices properly to make sure they succeed, but it cannot afford to give them away.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    about price, IMO $499 is already price with thin margin for HP.

I totally agree. For some reason, our fellow members won't admit that!?
    I have Iphone 3G, Galaxy Spica, GalaxyS (my main phone now) and Pre@1GHz. GalaxyS with lag fix is lightning fast. Iphone 3G is smooth as hell, and even low end Spica with Cyanogen mod is faster than Pre OC at 1GHz. Fact that I'm still present here is enough proof that I like WebOS, and I'm eager to see at least one decent WebOS performer. But, I cant be blind and not see how well other devices performs and how bad WebOS devices still are.
    Is your iPhone 3G still running iOS 2 or 3? My iPod touch 3g (better hardware) running iOS 4 is slow as molasses at times and a heck of a lot more laggy than my Pre Plus @ 1GHz.
    about price, IMO $499 is already price with thin margin for HP.
    Hard to believe.

EEE pad transformer is priced at $399, with apparently better materials and specs than touchpad.

Apple iPad is priced at $499, and everybody know apple doesn't sell for "thin margin", in fact, most apple product is selling for 50+% profit.

The cost of each unit of Touchpad, I suspect, is around $300.
    iOS 3.12. It was slower on 4, but not as Pre. Reason I downgraded is headphone output volume.
    Anyway, regarding TP, I really hope HP will finally manage to produce real superior user experience = elegant WebOS UI + great WebOS specific features + open APIs + Great execution speed and fluent transitions with fast load times at least for apps bundled with device. For me only this combo can be called great user experience which would justify $499 starting price.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Hard to believe.

EEE pad transformer is priced at $399, with apparently better materials and specs than touchpad.

Apple iPad is priced at $499, and everybody know apple doesn't sell for "thin margin", in fact, most apple product is selling for 50+% profit.

With Palm buyout, structural reorganization, Pre2 secret launch, and future nation wide WebOS reboot campaign, Some serious buck must be added on top of this $300.
    Hard to believe.

Don't forget all the pricing deals Apple has worked out on some of the more expensive components. I don't think even HP can get the rates Apple locked in for themselves.
    On the other side, Apple has a large fixed cost of running Apple Stores. HP already built extensive sale channels.
    This is what it comes down to guys: You've got to play to pay. HP is creating a luxury device here and its priced as such. The only decent android tablet priced lower is the Transformer and, no, its specs are not as good as the TouchPad's. Look it up. Plus it has a smaller screen since it has a wide ratio (I'm glad the TouchPad doesn't, I think apple got it right).
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    With Palm buyout, structural reorganization, Pre2 secret launch, and future nation wide WebOS reboot campaign, Some serious buck must be added on top of this $300.
    Too bad, I am an end user and I am not gonna read a HP history and pay them sympathy money from my pocket.

The fact is one of the "best honeycomb" 10" tab is priced at $399. And there will be a flood of android tablets with better specs and cheaper price. For people here who are webOS expert, me included, webOS may worth a $25-50 price difference. But for 99.9% of tablet buyers out there, a nice looking OS isn't worth extra money.

I can't dictate whatever price HP wants to charge, but I can sit here and laugh at its silly decision.
    honestly, these tablets cost too much right now, they should be priced under netbooks not far above them. 400 for 32 I would jump on, 600 is a hell of a lot of money
    This thing needed to come in at least $100 below the iPad2 to be competitive. The same price is a huge mistake. Nobody is going to take the risk. They will just go for the iPad2 which is a proven device. Given HP's lack of commitment to WebOS on phones, I wouldn't want to risk $600. It's a huge gamble. I have a feeling they will make the same mistake with the Pre 3. When it comes out it will probably be $200 on contract. The 8GB model might by $150. Personally I think it was a mistake offering two memory sizes, especially when the old model was already 16GB! It needs to be closer to $100 to be competitive. You can get an iPhone 4 16GB for $200.
    The prices need to come down. These tablets are able to perform less tasks than a netbook (looking at you ipad) and cost twice as much. Transformer is better than an ipad in terms of functionality and faster than xoom even without 3.1. With the extra charging dock/battery/keyboard it is priced at $550 which is a lot more acceptable than $500+80+60 that HP is demanding. At $500 touchstone charger should come included especially since they want to differentiate themselves.

The advantages of webOS are disappearing by the day. Multitasking on honeycomb is much easier than regular android and with 3.1 it will be even better. Android is being developed at an accelerated pace and if HP does not market/price touchpad correctly they will fail.

I will only buy touchpad if I can get Pre3 on my carrier 'cause for me the biggest advantage of buying a touchpad is the ability to answer calls and sms on the touchpad without needing to get my phone. Buying both is going to be very expensive and HP should consider that as well.
    The cheapest TouchPad is not the same price as the cheapest iPad.

The cheapest TouchPad will be $100 more than the cheapest iPad.

HP is matching the least expensive Xoom, not the least expensive iPad.

The Xoom had everything it needed to be a hit but was lacking in one spec: price. At $449 like the Acer Iconia it would have sold OK. At $399 it would have matched the Asus Transformer at $399 and been a hit.

In two weeks, the Samsung Galaxy 10 will be thinner, lighter, faster, brighter but at $499 that is too expensive.

Honda, Toyota, Datsun, and then Hyundai and Kia have shown that you can be late to market and have a huge hit. You match or exceed every spec at a dramatically lower price.

So why is the Xoom so overpriced?

The Wall Street Journal estimated the Xoom cost at $278. Foxconn has a 30% gross margin and so sells it to Motorola for $361. Motorola works on a 33% gross margin and marks it up to $480. The retailer marks it up 25% to $600.

The base iPad saves the cost of the 3G and 4G radios, microSD slot, lower def display, and $10 for the extra 16GB so Apple can sell for $499

The Asus Transformer costs about the same as an iPad so Asus is making the best margin selling it for $325 to a retailer who marks it up to $400.

Acer, LG, Samsung, HTC, and Asus cut out Motorola's middle man markup.

HP is caught in the same boat as Motorola. Inventec works on a 30% gross margin like Foxconn. HP needs their cut and so does the retailer. So the TP ends up at $600 like the Xoom.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/21/2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Acer, LG, Samsung, HTC, and Asus cut out Motorola's middle man markup.

HP is caught in the same boat as Motorola. Inventec works on a 30% gross margin like Foxconn. HP needs their cut and so does the retailer. So the TP ends up at $600 like the Xoom.
    Apple has middle man too, right? I don't think apple is selling iPad for a loss.

And good point of HP is going the way of Motorola. The touchpad will just fail like XOOM.

End-users, when presented the options, just won't care the reason behind a $100+ price difference. They just know which way to go to save $100.

XBOX was losing money until several years later, thats how you expand the market.
    To start its good. Remeber HP's pricing will drop a lot faster and they'll have more tablets come out per year with in the next 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    To start its good. Remeber HP's pricing will drop a lot faster and they'll have more tablets come out per year with in the next 5 years.
    HP needs to take up market at a good pace to motivate devs, as most of them are waiting to see how large the market will be. If HP were to deliver only couple of hundreds of units in a quarter like XOOM did. It will just die. AT least Motorola has google android market to attract devs. What does HP have, if not a significant market presence?
    Apple has middle man too, right? I don't think apple is selling iPad for a loss.

And good point of HP is going the way of Motorola. The touchpad will just fail like XOOM.

End-users, when presented the options, just won't care the reason behind a $100+ price difference. They just know which way to go to save $100.

XBOX was losing money until several years later, thats how you expand the market.
    I neglected to add the part about the iPad.

The base iPad saves the cost of the 3G and 4G radios, microSD slot, lower def display, and $18 for the extra 16GB of RAM so Apple can sell for $499.

I will add it.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    On the other side, Apple has a large fixed cost of running Apple Stores. HP already built extensive sale channels.
    you mean they own the whole sales channel and can profit on it up and down.......so they can charge less. Itunes, app store, etc.........no way hp can compete.

Best buy sells ipads and makes 5 bucks......i doubt they only make 5 bones on TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I neglected to add the part about the iPad.

The base iPad saves the cost of the 3G and 4G radios, microSD slot, lower def display, and $18 for the extra 16GB of RAM so Apple can sell for $499.

I will add it.
    wait, base touchpad also saves 3G/4G radio, miscroSD, lower def display? and I think base touchpad is 16G as well, therefore it saves all apple saved already, plus a save on the camera (rear).
    I voted "it won't matter", since I expect the prices to fall shortly after its introduction.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast