View Poll Results: Priced same as iPad 2 good/bad idea?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a great idea. They'll sell tons!

25 14.29%
  • No, bad idea. They're going to get killed.

92 52.57%
  • No idea

24 13.71%
  • It won't matter

34 19.43%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The real question:

"Are President Whitmore's actions a) Ultra-Brave, or b) Foolhardy?"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Obviously the cheaper the better, but this price is what I expected. As long as they have both options available for purchase on day 1 I think they'll do fine. Also, hasn't everyone who's held a TP and Ipad2 said they prefered the TP? I'm more interested in a 7" than a thinner 10". Or hell.. just license the OS and let someone like htc make hardware for it. THAT would be slick
    I'd say license to ASUS.

HTC just released a 7" tablet and asking for $500.
    If HP is going to push ahead with price matching the iPad then they should try to beat it in value by bundling accessories. Maybe one of those fold-over cases and/or a Touchstone stand would be a great way to add value to attract consumers without hurting the margins they're shooting for on the tablet. Since accessory margins are usually so high they could easily eat the cost of the bundled accessories as long as they picked the right ones.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    It's the same retail price. I would have liked to seen it a bit less than iPad2 retail price, but it's pretty much as expected. Pretty standard M.O. for HP to launch at a premium price, then pretty rapidly have deals and discounts available. Unlike Apple, HP will have many ways these will be discounted.A little while (month, two, three?) after launch I expect you'll see:

- Corporate channels wont pay full price.
    - Consumers getting discounts through HP employee purchase plans (like me!).
    - Bundle deals available with computers, printers, maybe Pre3 or Veer, accessories, etc.
    - If it's like other Costco stuff, they'll get their own 24GB version for $429 or something
    - Rebate deals at Best Buy, Staples, etc.

I think if the PlayBook came in at a lower price, they would have had to come in lower for TouchPad, but nobody wants to kick off a price war and kill margins.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Apple proved that specs aren't the most important thing. If you were to quiz the average consumer of the specs of their tablet, chances are they wouldn't know, and probably don't care. They just want it to run smoothly, and do they tasks they need it to do. The specs of the TouchPad are fine.

As far as pricing goes, matching the iPad is fine with me.
    But that's the problem. They're NOT matching the iPad in price, they're matching the iPad 2. The iPad sells for less, and that's really what the Touchpad is competing against.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    For me, its going to be about functionality and UI of the Operating System. I think the samsung will have the best internal hardware, the iPad the best external hardware, but the TouchPad has BY FAR the best Software.
    NO, it does NOT. The TouchPad has the best GUI. It has the best OS interface, but the software running that OS is actually quite slow compared to the android tablets and the iPad 1/2. Watch any of the videos online of the hands on tests and the TouchPad is much slower despite a faster processor. That means the software is WORSE, not better.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I 100% agree. To be honest, too low a price in a tablet is a turn-off for me. It makes me wonder just what i'm buying if it's cheaper than a phone or ipod or something. I hear good things about the transformer, but when it comes to the others I would rather spend 500 on an iPad or TouchPad than 400 or less on a sub-par device.
    Judging the quality of something by its price is one of the WORST decisions a consumer can make. The two have nothing to do with each other.

If you used that logic, you'd buy a Kobo e-reader over an Amazon Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    That means the software is WORSE, not better.
    That's been my concern all along for WebOS since my first foray into it. That its not just been the hardware (although maxing hardware out can improve it) but simply the way it pulls up and displays information, Synergy, etc. is at some level just not as efficient as competing OSs. Looks pretty but is slower.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I think the $600 Touchpad is going to look a lot like the $600 Xoom in a couple months. …Ridiculous.
    Yep. And as badly as the blackberry playbook is selling, all accounts are that it's STILL outselling the Xoom.

And the Asus Transformer? SOLD OUT everywhere. They're struggling to ramp up production fast enough to keep up with demand.

An Asus spokesperson told Engadget the Asian-based company was airlifting tablet "shipments" into North America for eager Android enthusiasts.

"We are ramping production every week to address the supply concerns, including almost daily air shipments into North America... We expect the supply line to improve significantly over the coming weeks."

Earlier this month, Asus spokesperson David Chang claimed there would be a "significant alleviation" of the shortage by June.

"If the demand continues to increase substantially then we will have to continue to ramp up production in order to fulfill customer demand," Chang told Netbook News.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I think if the PlayBook came in at a lower price, they would have had to come in lower for TouchPad, but nobody wants to kick off a price war and kill margins.
    Actually, that would be the smartest move HP could make. They've got billions of dollars, they can afford to lose $1 billion on the TouchPad. Why should they? Consider this:

Currently, the biggest issue facing WebOS is the lack of apps/developers. The developers will only join if they see a lot of users for WebOS. If the device is priced the same as the iPad, the vast majority of users won't buy a TouchPad over an iPad 1/2 because they're getting 1/20th the functionality (in apps). BUT, if that device were about 1/2 the price of the iPad 2, a lot of those users would buy the TouchPad.

Initially, HP takes a loss, but in the long run they create an ecosystem of millions of users, which brings in the devs and apps, which then brings in more users. Suddenly, you can start marketing other WebOS devices to all those users, since they're used to using WebOS and have a tablet to pair them with.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Insanity, if they want it to be popular. webOS has almost 0% marketshare as it is, and isn't going anywhere fast. It's a non-starter.

People who want a tablet but who don't want an iPad are quite obviously generally holding off for the Android tablet that's caught their eye to launch over the next couple months (or to come into stock, if they're after a Transformer).
    I have to agree with the above poster that HP needs to sell a ton of TouchPads before a flood of honeycomb tablets come to market.
    for me, the competition to the touchpad is my netbook. Until I can operate for a couple of days without using a PC, its just another thing to carry. I won't buy a touchpad or pad at $500+ when my 3 pound netbook does more and goes 9 hours of use between charges.

but once prices start to come down, I will still need to be able to do what I do with my netbook.
    It's the same retail price. I would have liked to seen it a bit less than iPad2 retail price, but it's pretty much as expected. Pretty standard M.O. for HP to launch at a premium price, then pretty rapidly have deals and discounts available. Unlike Apple, HP will have many ways these will be discounted.A little while (month, two, three?) after launch I expect you'll see:

- Corporate channels wont pay full price.
    - Consumers getting discounts through HP employee purchase plans (like me!).
    - Bundle deals available with computers, printers, maybe Pre3 or Veer, accessories, etc.
    - If it's like other Costco stuff, they'll get their own 24GB version for $429 or something
    - Rebate deals at Best Buy, Staples, etc.

If they can really pull it off launching at the same price as the iPad and then throwing out discounts and bundle offers that give the consumer the perception of "getting a good deal/value" then this method could work for them in claiming a larger market share.

Maybe we'll see something for the back to schoolers that buy a new HP PC above a certain price point being able to get a free TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The CEO of HP just addressed this in a memo to his top executives this week:

“Q3 is going to be another tough quarter, one in which we will be driving hard for revenue and profit,” Apotheker wrote. “We have absolutely no room for profitless revenue or any discretionary expenditures.”
    This is the reason why I don't believe HP is in Marathon like alot of people here believe. They need a profit now. They can't just have a product and hopely it will catch up to the big guy within next couple of years. I am not saying they are desperate but yet they don't have much room to fail, otherwise investors are going to be very upset.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    NO, it does NOT. [/B] It has the best OS interface, but the software running that OS is actually quite slow compared to the android tablets and the iPad 1/2. Watch any of the videos online of the hands on tests and the TouchPad is much slower despite a faster processor. That means the software is WORSE, not better.
    You're comparing a beta version of the OS not optimized for the hardware, on pre-production hardware, to released production tablets.

Yep. And as badly as the blackberry playbook is selling, all accounts are that it's STILL outselling the Xoom.

And the Asus Transformer? SOLD OUT everywhere. They're struggling to ramp up production fast enough to keep up with demand.
    The Transformer is sold out everywhere because they didn't make many. I'm not saying it's not a good product or a good deal, but just because they released before they had fully built out production capabailities doesn't mean it's an outstanding success (yet).

Actually, that would be the smartest move HP could make. They've got billions of dollars, they can afford to lose $1 billion on the TouchPad. Why should they? Consider this:

if that device were about 1/2 the price of the iPad 2, a lot of those users would buy the TouchPad.

Initially, HP takes a loss, but in the long run they create an ecosystem of millions of users
    A lot of people say this, but it's really not thinking things through. They are already spending a ton on palm/webOS, making the TouchPad, and marketing webOS (Lady Gaga don't come cheap). They can't just "lose another $1B" to magically make webOS popular. It would crush their stock price over what is still a small portion of business. It wouldn't guarantee webOS's success, and even if it did that would just mean that HP loses MORE money, since you can't later raise the price of the TouchPad or make the TouchPad2 twice as expensive. Plus, Apple and Samsung can make devices cheaper, so they'd beat you in a price war, killing webOS for good.

Say HP found an extra $1B lying around, they could spend it lots of ways:
    • Lower the price of every TouchPad
    • Spend it on advertising via ads, product placements, big displays, etc.
    • Pay carrier reps an extra bonus for every Pre3 or TouchPad sold
    • Pay developers directly to make apps
    • Run more developer contests and app sales
    • Pay for more software engineers to improve webOS further
    • Save the $ to buy RIM when their stock gets low enough and to shut them down :P

We'd all like to get a TouchPad cheaper, but you can always lower prices. Consumers never let you just raise them.
    The Transformer is sold out everywhere because they didn't make many. I'm not saying it's not a good product or a good deal, but just because they released before they had fully built out production capabailities doesn't mean it's an outstanding success (yet).
    I don’t know what you consider “many” but ASUS has been making about 7,000 to 8,000 Transformers *a day* and they working to ramp that up to 10,000 a day.

Other reports state that ASUS has been air shipping daily shipments to the various retailers to try and meet the demand. This without even having display models out on store shelves to attract the average J6P.

Asus Eee Pad Transformer to see maximum production rates, due to strong demand - Phone Arena

Even the red-headed Acer model has shipped an estimated 1 million this spring...

Despite shipping roughly 1 million units, Acer sees shortages with their tablets - Phone Arena

Keep thinking that the demand for Android tablets has been artifically created by tight supply lines, but there are a lot of people snapping them up, sans WebOS.

-Suntan
    i think it should be $100 less no matter what.

but how successful it will be i don't know. Think if they launch with a truckload of apps it can do well. But i think the redesigned samsung 10.1 tablet is a sleeper that could challenge the touchpad.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The CEO of HP just addressed this in a memo to his top executives this week:

“Q3 is going to be another tough quarter, one in which we will be driving hard for revenue and profit,” Apotheker wrote. “We have absolutely no room for profitless revenue or any discretionary expenditures.”

By the way, if HP wanted to lose $1 billion on the TP then all they would have to do is give away 2 million of them at $500 each. Actually, for what it costs to build one of them they could probably give 4 million devices away for $1 billion.
    He may have said that for the investors but...

1. Last year they had a net income of $8.76 billion
    2. They have $40.78 billion in the bank
    about price, IMO $499 is already price with thin margin for HP.

NO, it does NOT. The TouchPad has the best GUI. It has the best OS interface, but the software running that OS is actually quite slow compared to the android tablets and the iPad 1/2. Watch any of the videos online of the hands on tests and the TouchPad is much slower despite a faster processor. That means the software is WORSE, not better.
    I totally agree. For some reason, our fellow members won't admit that!?
    I have Iphone 3G, Galaxy Spica, GalaxyS (my main phone now) and Pre@1GHz. GalaxyS with lag fix is lightning fast. Iphone 3G is smooth as hell, and even low end Spica with Cyanogen mod is faster than Pre OC at 1GHz. Fact that I'm still present here is enough proof that I like WebOS, and I'm eager to see at least one decent WebOS performer. But, I cant be blind and not see how well other devices performs and how bad WebOS devices still are.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast