Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP is obviuosly emulating the iPad2, down to the packaging. Many say it will never work; here's why I think its a great idea and why HP will see success:

HP's goal is to steal some of Apple's marketshare. How better to accomplish this than to create a very similar product but with advantages over the iPad?

Essentially HP is trying to out-Apple, Apple. The TouchPad is the clear winner as far as having an intuitive, advanced UI and that overall user "experience." Thats the sort of advantage Apple has always banked on and this time around they don't have it. The iPad has to compete with the TouchPad on tech specs and applications. Historically, how has Apple done in this situation?

We are bemoaning HP for not having hdmi outs, rear facing cameras and other tech specs while not appreciating the TouchPad's advantages over the iPad. Truth is, techies like us have always cared about specs while Apple emphasized simplicity and usability. Thats why many of us aren't already Apple sheep.

Look at it this way:

Desktop/Laptop market: Apple never has the highest specs, they range from high end to decent, nor do they have the most applications.

Mobile electronics: Apple has dominated since "the experience" is more important here. Now HP has that advantage while Apple will have to redevelop their OS from the ground up AND integrate their "experience" for millions of would be "legacy users."

Of course none of this matters at all if HP doesn't market their advantage. This is why the same argument flopped when applied to the original Pre. If no one knows about it and why its superior, no one buys it.

HP can directly steal some of Apple's marketshare, not enough to sell more units than Apple, but enough to create mindshare and a good starting point for HP's second generation of tablets. Most of the millions of iPad users are not Apple fanatics. The sheep already have their Ipad2 and are counting down to the next generation. The people that don't already have a tablet and the non-fanb0ys can be swayed, but it will require marketing to do so.
    Last edited by axoneill; 05/19/2011 at 11:34 PM.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I agree HP is trying to out-apple apple

But there is a fatal flaw: HP doesn't have mindless fan-boyz like apple. So the strategy is DOA.

With a flood of high quality honeycomb tablet out at $350. HP is digging its own grave in pricing touchpad at $499. WebOS is great, but $150? that can buy you a windows 7.

Its just a pity that HP waste such a great OS. I suggest HP sell palm and webOS to ASUS. which apparently know much more about how to make competitive product.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But there is a fatal flaw: HP doesn't have mindless fan-boyz like apple. So the strategy is DOA.
    How did apple get those mindless fan-boyz? Good marketing can and does beat out mindless fan-boyz everytime. How many rabid apple fan-boyz do you personally know? How about the average american adult? Comapre that to how many Apple commercials do you see a day?

I'm sorry, but your argument is completely bogus. If thats all WebOS needed then Palm would have had much more success than it did.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  4.    #4  
    I agree HP is trying to out-apple apple

With a flood of high quality honeycomb tablet out at $350. HP is digging its own grave in pricing touchpad at $499. WebOS is great, but $150? that can buy you a windows 7.

Its just a pity that HP waste such a great OS. I suggest HP sell palm and webOS to ASUS. which apparently know much more about how to make competitive product.
    Also, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a $350 honeycomb tablet with equal specs to the presumably $499 16g TouchPad? HP didn't pull that $150 out of nowhere.

If you want a cheaper tablet, wait for the 7" version.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    The fatal flaw is actually HP looking like a wannabe. I saw the one email, looks like they're even trying to copy those "smart covers". Sell on your own merits.

Actually in both emails, they have a "smart cover".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    they can copy all the specs they want but i've been in apple stores. nobody is their primarily to play with ports. They are flicking apps and poking icons and playing with the device. specs are fine but it's what you can do with them that matters to the average consumer. And that is a current hurdle for hp. if they can roll out hundreds of apps every week they have a shot of taking share. I think without that tablets like the the new ipad2 thin samsung one and others will be fighting for number two.
    My bad, its not 350, but 399

m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/asus-eee-pad-transformer-hits-us-on-april-26-for-399/&category=classic&postPage=1

And it has better spec than touchpad. 1280x800, microSD, hdmi, two cameras.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The fatal flaw is actually HP looking like a wannabe. I saw the one email, looks like they're even trying to copy those "smart covers". Sell on your own merits.
    So the average consumer is looks at devices not on value, but on originality?
    I don't see that as being true at all unless you view owning an Apple as a status indication. HP can't compete with that nonsense and I don't think they are trying to. At all.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    A typical consumer? They will know right away HP is copying. Because those smart covers are all in Apple's iPad ads plastered everywhere. I hope HP really doesn't post those types of ads.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    My bad, its not 350, but 399

m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/asus-eee-pad-transformer-hits-us-on-april-26-for-399/&category=classic&postPage=1

And it has better spec than touchpad. 1280x800, microSD, hdmi, two cameras.
    Damn, thats a good deal.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  11.    #11  
    A typical consumer? They will know right away HP is copying. Because those smart covers are all in Apple's iPad ads plastered everywhere. I hope HP really doesn't post those types of ads.
    A typical consumer, an average non techie, who is trying to justify a tablet purchase in the first place, doesn't care about who did what first. Apple didn't invent the portable mp3 player, they took other designs, and made a similar but better product. Heck, look at Android compared to iOS, many features were copied and Android is doing just fine! Why? They did it, if not better, well enough and got it into people's hands. The copycat argument really only applies to fan-boyz' bickering.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    True, there are copies and redoing of specs all over, but I'm talking about it being way too obvious.

Have you seen the emails? First thought is "iPad". Due to those covers. You really don't want that type of advertising do you?

Why does making a cover for a tablet instantly incur the cries of "copying Apple"? Geez.. if you look at HP's upcoming tablet cover.. it is actually a case that fits the whole device with the top cover folding over. Apple didn't invent that... they just put magnets in it.
  14.    #14  
    True, there are copies and redoing of specs all over, but I'm talking about it being way too obvious.

Have you seen the emails? First thought is "iPad". Due to those covers. You really don't want that type of advertising do you?
    Its obvious to you because you care. The average consumer isn't getting those email's anyway. If they did, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place.

Copycat, try-hard, and "Apple did it first!" arguments are only for those that want bragging rights. Pure and simple. Its who does it better that matters. edit: And its who lets people know they did it better! Marketing!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Why does making a cover for a tablet instantly incur the cries of "copying Apple"? Geez.. if you look at HP's upcoming tablet cover.. it is actually a case that fits the whole device with the top cover folding over. Apple didn't invent that... they just put magnets in it.
    Exactly.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    You missed the actual iPad ads? Covers are what they keep using to sell the iPad in that one ad that is everywhere. I know Apple didn't invent the folding part of that cover. It's from the Incase from the first model, I think. But I really think it's a bad idea to copy to this degree. The HP cover also looks to have similar ridges as the smart cover.

16.    #16  
    You missed the actual iPad ads? Covers are what they keep using to sell the iPad in that one ad that is everywhere. I know Apple didn't invent the folding part of that cover. It's from the Incase from the first model, I think. But I really think it's a bad idea to copy to this degree. The HP cover also looks to have similar ridges as the smart cover.
    I'm sure the only reason people want an iPad is because it has a friggin' sweet cover! If HP makes one too they are just copying! COPYCATS!!!!!!1!!!

1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Personally I think the smart cover is useless. Screen protectors and a real case can be bought at the same prices. I'm just speaking of how the advertising in those HP emails is presented. The first thing that struck me was "iPad".

I will say though that the HP case looks more useful. It actually covers the full TouchPad.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/19/2011 at 11:28 PM.

18.    #18  
    Personally I think the smart cover is useless. Screen protectors and a real case can be bought at the same prices. I'm just speaking of how the advertising in those HP emails is presented. The first thing that struck me was "iPad".

I will say though that the HP case looks more useful. It actually covers the full TouchPad.
    Well, when the average consumer, who hasn't researched a tablet puchase yet, sees any tablet they're going to think "iPad." Right? Thats where the marketing hurdle comes in. HP don't need to match Apple in that aspect but they do need MORE than any single android tablet.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    It's priced too high. That would be the downfall, I guarantee the price drop with-in the first 60 days of launch.

Average consumers, who make up majority of the market, given the $499/599 price point will choose the iPad2 over other tablets. Unless your goal is to sell a few hundred or thousand and not millions like apple does, then I guess you can price it the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post

Essentially HP is trying to out-Apple, Apple. The TouchPad is the clear winner as far as having an intuitive, advanced UI and that overall user "experience." Thats the sort of advantage Apple has always banked on and this time around they don't have it. The iPad has to compete with the TouchPad on tech specs and applications. Historically, how has Apple done in this situation?
    The assumption is that the clear winner as far as UI, user experience but I think that unless the user is already well versed in Webos, they are going to be very well trained -- even without any, in iOS from having used other Apple products. HP will still be a bit of mystery, ESP with no gestures.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast