Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Oh, you were looking for goodj apps? I wouldn't think that you would look for good apps by running a contest among your employees.
    Why not? In fact, your employees would much more likely develop original apps, which would make a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I LOVE this argument getting tossed around these days. "First gen iOS didn't have apps either". Uhh..when it was released, what other mass market phone had tons of apps? It was new to the market, it had the appeal and DID NOT need the apps.

Now, Years later, When it already has MILLIONS of apps, not just iOS but Android too, you're trying to jump in the market with measily 7000 or so apps.

It's not the same scenario, so stop tossing around this irrelevant moot argument that iOS didn't have em either. Well, would been cool if iOS still didn't, but it does. Tough luck.

This needs to be priced at most 449 and 549 and if it realllly wants to sell, $399 and $499.

Rear facing camera IS a big plus. Believe it or not. It's companies that have the mentality that well, Apple didn't even have a camera on the first iPad...well tough luck, it does now and people want the camera on the back. Again I said "WANT" not "NEED". Most don't need it, but they WANT it.

Sorry.... but HP is dreaming about selling a lot of these at $499/$599.
    LMAO! "Ultimate Fail" Ever hear of a little device called the "Treo"?? Before Palm switched gears to webOS, PalmOS5 had over 50,000 apps. Yes, FIFTY THOUSAND and the iPhone launched with ZERO. Then some crappy 'web apps' some months later. You know how they power users got by? JAILBREAKING to side load apps (sound familiar) To this day the most flexibility comes from jailbreaking (which crApple hates and Palm\HP loves.)
    I partially disagree about the rear camera because it can be used to take shots of documents and receipts. For personal use, it is awkward.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Damn, thats a good deal.

They had to lower the price since nobody actually bought a Xoom. Grandma doesn't want to play with Android. She can't figure it out.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    "Apple did it first"
    palm started this gangster s***, and this is the mother f****** thanks they get?

to point out, consumers are morons, if their not techies they dont understand specs, they are like children waiting in line at the supermarket with their parents, they see another kid getting some candy, "mom i want some candy"

the only reason hapalm should toss useless specs (however i think i could use probably anything they throw, look at my palm mock up contest specs in signature) into their systems is to have what the competition have, so people can compare them equally.

relating to my first sayin above, doing a research paper for an english class one semester, got an A but 5 min speach about palm lasted 28~ not inlcuding questions. palmOne.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: HP's formula does not rely on converting iThing or iRobot folks. It does not rely on winning the spec wars (who takes pictures with their laptop? "hold still, honey, I'm bringing my notebook up to snap a picture!") That's what phones and digital cameras are for. The only folks who care about things like that are nerds that have already chosen sides.

Joe Non-nerd who walks into Best Buy wants this new form factor. With good reason - a legal-pad sized gadget that can browse the web and view emails. And maybe movies. And definitely can read e-books of some type. It's already been stated repeatedly that the folks who download apps are a minority of the minority that even buy these things.

HP, imho, is on the right track here. Feature-phone users far outnumber smartphone users. Folks using laptops far outnumber those using tablets. The marketing folks smell sales here, the tech folks are one step ahead in answering the question "how would you make an easier-to-use device?"

Now it's up to HP to make the case. Frankly, word-of-mouth from folks who get these devices may do the job.

Oh, the other tab has a front-facing camera that'll never be used! The other tab has more fart apps! Cry me a river.
    Front facing cameras are being used for video conferencing(and video BSing).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    With touch to share.Why would you have a second camera? The pre 3 has two so as far as scaning barcodes,or reciepts goes.The pre 3 can do that. Point blank,Hpalm can never do anything right in sheeples eyes even when they are doing things right.Its true webOS don't have as many apps but that's because they didn't put out good hardware with great marketing or vice versa.So developers didn't want to take the chance.Again developers aren't making apps for webOS only because webOS don't have enough consumers! But if Hpalm start to release more hardware that will change.
    No actually, its not. I work with an Android developer. As in, this guy gets paid by his company to write android apps. I showed him synergy on my 1.4.5 Pre-, he was impressed. He showed me the equivalent on his droid X and androided nook color, its no where near as nice as ours. You can click on a contact and see icons for stuff to contact them with, but it doesn't show their info on one screen like ours. And you have to open and load a new app every time you want to change messaging methods. Therefore all messaging between you and one contact cannot appear in one window.

The only thing I've heard has anything close to Synergy is WP7 but I can't confirm that.

I think getting rid of the gesture area will help the TouchPad be more intuitive. The first thing and only thing I have to show anyone to be able to play with my Pre is the back gesture.

Also every time I read about Honeycomb on Engadget I see thing's like "clunky, needs work" and every time I read about WebOS on Engadget I see things like "smooth, refined"

Right. But thats not the point. Every platform starts with <100 apps. Android started with zero apps, and rabid iOS guys said it would never sell because they didn't have any apps. We all know how that turned out. Don't say oh we've had two years and we only have 7k blah blah blah.... WebOS didn't really have two years, it was poorly launched and then it missed a product cycle. HP may not sell to the app people right away, but as long as they get a solid app core they should be able to sell enough units to attract developers and get off the ground. Just like Android did.

Again. Blah blah blah same old whine! WebOS failed! Its being reborn! This is a restart from basically nothing!

I don't know what kind of fantasy land you come from but parts aren't free. We have the same or better specs than the iPad2 at the same price, with a better OS. Offering MORE at an EQUAL price is the same thing as offering EQUAL specs at a LOWER price.

Personally I wouldn't be caught dead holding up a 10" tablet to take a picture. I, personally, don't want to look like a damn fool. I know I'm not the only one either. If all iPad2 has on the TouchPad is apps and an extra, useless, camera (good for bragging only) then I think HP has a winner on their hands. And by winner, I mean they will sell enough to justify a TouchPad2.

Isn't HP trying to get like the top 30 apps or something? What more to people realistically want/expect from a new OS launch?
    wow.... I couldn't have put it better,especially the part about synergy.It's good to know somebody has sense on here.Thank you,I gave up tryin to explain the difference.They always give apple credit for doing something first but don't know that palm is the father/mother of smartphones/PDA's. Palm has patents for things ten years ago that the iphone used today.So since sheeple want to play the who did it first game.I think Palm wind hands down.Now these OS's minus WP7 are copying webOS in some or because of WebOS they are redisgning or adding similair features from webOS. Cards is one,notifications is another but they can't get it as good,and UI is another one.Next they will be copying synergy,just type,etc. They might as well as name their os's to webOS's lol.As far as apps,IOS has about 300,000 apps and Android has about 100,000-200,000 apps.its good to have quantity but are you going to buy 300,000 apps? better yet are you going to buy or download even 100? Besides most of those apps are crap.Especially on android, they let anybody make an app.They probably don't even review them like Palm does. I would rather have quality over quanity.That's the game HPalm is playing and they will eventually win
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ******* wake up......TP is a year late with the specs of last year.

Ipad2 is faster, thinner, and lighter with Itunes and 100k apps. lol

Good luck HP. you brought a knife to a gun fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post

Joe Non-nerd who walks into Best Buy wants this new form factor. With good reason - a legal-pad sized gadget that can browse the web and view emails. And maybe movies. And definitely can read e-books of some type. It's already been stated repeatedly that the folks who download apps are a minority of the minority that even buy these things.
    Joe Non-nerd who walks into best buy wants a tablet that are pretty, do things, and cheap.

one one side, EEE pad $399, on the other HP Touchpad, $499

what would Joe non-nerd do?
    Joe would probably look at both and determine that the TP is definately worth the extra 100 and get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Joe would probably look at both and determine that the TP is definately worth the extra 100 and get it.
    Lol. Wishful thinking.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Everyone here still has to remember that Apple's launch of the iPad had more than just a device rolling it. Apple has already got everyone looking at them and when they release a device everyone knows within 3 days because its part of the everyday social interactions. HP hasn't been in the consumer line much (they focus more on enterprise because you get more $$ that way) and because of that, the automatic advertising isn't present. This is more like the release of the first iPod. It didn't break the scales the first day but afterward once the word was spread, it sold by the dozens. HP has to make up for a lot that it doesn't have. The TouchPad won't take off on its first gen devices. It will be much like the coming to power of the Android devices. Google released the G1 then there was silence for a long time. Later, Google got into every carrier and people started to by them and a year later, after the word spread, they are just under iOS.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    ******* wake up......TP is a year late with the specs of last year.

Ipad2 is faster, thinner, and lighter with Itunes and 100k apps. lol

Good luck HP. you brought a knife to a gun fight.
    Ok, then since the GTab10 is FASTER, LIGHTER, AND THINNER, than Ipad2, they must have brought a BAZOOKA to Apple's gunfight then...
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o826 View Post
    palm started this gangster s***, and this is the mother f****** thanks they get?
    Dr. Dre references are always welcome.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Ok, then since the GTab10 is FASTER, LIGHTER, AND THINNER, than Ipad2, they must have brought a BAZOOKA to Apple's gunfight then...
    Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Why not? In fact, your employees would much more likely develop original apps, which would make a big difference.
    I take it back, developing original apps is not easy. but HP developers can simply check out popular apps on other platforms that are missing on webOS, and create some similar ones.

Anyway, I am hoping HP is sitting on a bunch of apps from the internal app competition, perhaps busy making them work on webOS 2.x, so they can be released when the new webOS devices are launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    1. It is thin. We're talking milimeters difference here. Show me a couple milimeters with your thumb and index finger.

2. Apps: 1st gen iOS didn't even have App support. Build it, advertise it, and apps will come.

3. OS: HP offers a far superior operating system and overall experience. iPad = enlarged phone OS circa 2007. TouchPad = Small computer like interface.This is the biggest difference, and at the same price, I believe it will be the one most people care about.

These devices are about to be compared side by side in BestBuy's near you. Snobs and sheep will turn away any sort from any sort of innovation with out a fruit on it. I'm curious as to how the average consumer with a semi-open mind will compare the two. iPad HAS to rely on Apps for usability, WebOS shows usability instantly. Thats something crucial when you're talking about customers trying each device out in-store.
    I agree with you on everything except I have a comment about apps. Apps will be key in people purchasing this. Not a key reason to purchase it, but a key reason to not purchase it.

Pageonce
    Amazon
    Netflix
    eBay
    Photoshop (equivalent)

Are just a couple off the top of my head. The key between all of these is big name apps. Netflix is a huge one especially if a 4g version comes out, or even 3G is fine. Honestly I can wait for some apps to come if neadbe but I no Netflix means no touchpad. I use it the most. Also would need office editing, blackboard, a student planner app (am working on that but if I don't finish mine I need a sub till then). Number isn't important but quality is, and there isn't many big mainstream apps in webos as is. This is my biggest concern, people will ask.. Can it do this, can it do that. I showed off my pre several times before it went sour, and everyone loved the os!.. But when they asked if it could do this, had this app and that app, I said no every time and they became uninterested.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Isn't HP trying to get like the top 30 apps or something? What more to people realistically want/expect from a new OS launch?
    I expect very little from HP cause they've been a pretty poorly run company for a while, honestly.

But when "people" walk into a store and a touchpad is side by side with a gAlaxy 10.1 and an Ipad 2 people will expect an equal level of good apps. That's not 30 top apps cause you're 30 top ain't my 30 top. You'll always need choice. And only webos people will care if it's "new" or old tablet. I sure wouldn't. But personally i think they need many more then 30. Many! Just my opinion. I'll be interested to see how it plays out after it's launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    well HP showed off their CARRYING CASE before apple showed off the COVER. they are two different things.

the notion that HP is copying off of or drawing ideas from apple in this regard is silly IMO. besides the triangle folding idea didnt come from either company.
    Well i'd never seen that touchpad thing until the the email was posted in this thread so to me it reminds me of Apple. And it's resting on that thing like the ipad 2 rests on it's case. the ads look close enough and clearly i'm not the only one that that was their first thought. i don't think i accused them of copying. i think i only said when i saw the email it made me thing of apple.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast