Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I agree, this is a silly argument. My Kindle, which I've had for far longer than anybody has ad an iPad, as a similar case. It's just a case, it's not integral to product identity.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Why does making a cover for a tablet instantly incur the cries of "copying Apple"? Geez.. if you look at HP's upcoming tablet cover.. it is actually a case that fits the whole device with the top cover folding over. Apple didn't invent that... they just put magnets in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    Isn't the only user experience difference at this point between TouchPad and Honeycomb that you can swipe apps off the screen to close them in WebOS?
    If you believe that then you truly haven't experience webOS's full capabilities.No that isn't the only difference.WebOS smokes android in many ways.

1.Android don't multitask,really no other os truly multitask like webOS.They are trying to mimic WebOS but they are far behind in this aspect.

2.Just type is a step up from universal search.If you don't understand its usefulness and future possibilities.Look it up on youtube,and other places.

3.Cards/stacks--nough said(look it up!)

4.Notifications: very unobtrusive. nough said.(look it up!) They get many compliments on how better it is in webOS then android and even IOS.

4.Synergy: Linking all your email,im accounts is very useful and saves time.They even took it to the next level with enyo,webOS 3.0 with the photo(commenting on a pic on facebook from the photos app)and email apps.

5.WebOS internals and other Homebrew devs: Preware comes to mind.

6.touch to share will be another big advantage WebOS will have over android.

7.WebOS is the closets thing you are going to get to the web hence the name WebOS.

8.I can go on and on and you will have your opinion but I'm sure others can give you a bigger list of things WebOS has over Android.Every reviewer of WebOS says its has the best UI and that its more simple and useful.That's why the playbook is copying it.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    How did apple get those mindless fan-boyz? Good marketing can and does beat out mindless fan-boyz everytime.
    Just look at the ps2 -> ps3. When the current gen started it was sonys game to loose and boy did they. MS came otu swinging hard and Nintendo decided to go play some other game entirely. In this instance i feel like HP is doing a bit of both. I think the long term decider is weather ot not apple decides to really update their **** or if they keep shoehorning new features into there current gui.
    like I said you have your on opinion.But touch to share is a user experience.Your using it right? That's user experience.Like I said you haven't researched WebOS like you should have.Synergy is more then just importing contacts. Nobody used synergy like WebOS. Ask around.How is the notifications the same in Android?As far as cards go,you can't swipe away an app and it stops running in Adroid.You def can't pick up where you left off ina game if you answer a call,text,or go to a new card.All of the similarities your saying were all copied from webos but not as good.Enyo and 3.O might not be out but it's will be soon.Here is some links you should read.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/22/webos-teach-iphone-android/

http://glossandgradients.com/post/2520746270/this-race-is-far-from-over-an-in-depth-look-at-the

http://forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/272620-what-makes-webos-unique-besides-ui.html
    Last edited by prethadd81; 05/20/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    It's not TOUCHPAD user experience, is it? It's conditional on me buying another phone. Just like PreWare...people tout that as a plus of this platform, but how many people download it and homebrew their devices? 20 percent? 10? It's a blip, dude.

With all due respect...I'm asking you. be specific. Don't just say "Ask around". I use WebOS 1.4.5. What Synergy is there beyond what I said.

Look at the pictures and videos of both tablets. they look identical.

Yeah...the picking up in a game would be a major difference...for us. I don't think for people who are casually looking at non-iPad tablets, tho. Thanks. Peace.
    http://www.displayblog.com/2011/04/18/webos-synergy-ace-up-hps-sleeve/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/219360/up_close_with_hps_touchpad_and_webos.html

http://mobileroar.com/2009/01/12/palm-webos-synergy-demonstrated
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    So if it's more useful then the ipads cover.That would mean HPalm made a btter product? But that's not the reason why people bought an Ipad. Spec wars is the name of the game.Every company has done it.Even the ipad has done it.The first ipad didn't have two cameras or other specs.Android and other tablets had those specs before the Ipad but that didn't stop apple from putting those specs in the Ipad 2.But nobody says they are copying.But as soon as Hpalm does something to compete,then they are copying.(such bs)
    The advertising angle is what I mean mainly. If you've seen that iPad ad, you know what I mean. Then HP sends out emails showcasing a similar looking cover.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The fatal flaw is actually HP looking like a wannabe. I saw the one email, looks like they're even trying to copy those "smart covers". Sell on your own merits.

Actually in both emails, they have a "smart cover".
    And they're selling a keyboard to go with! Way to copy Apple, which has been using keyboards on their computers since the beginning!
    You all who keep saying stuff like that are missing my point about presentation entirely. I look at those emails, they say "iPad" just looking at first impression. Or maybe I should say "smart cover" which screams Apple. I got the PlayBook email too, no "iPad" at first glance thought. In that one email, the Slate also looks like iPad 1. I want to see the TouchPad, not think of other products.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/20/2011 at 02:16 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    If you believe that then you truly haven't experience webOS's full capabilities.No that isn't the only difference.WebOS smokes android in many ways.

1.Android don't multitask,really no other os truly multitask like webOS.They are trying to mimic WebOS but they are far behind in this aspect.

2.Just type is a step up from universal search.If you don't understand its usefulness and future possibilities.Look it up on youtube,and other places.

3.Cards/stacks--nough said(look it up!)

4.Notifications: very unobtrusive. nough said.(look it up!) They get many compliments on how better it is in webOS then android and even IOS.

4.Synergy: Linking all your email,im accounts is very useful and saves time.They even took it to the next level with enyo,webOS 3.0 with the photo(commenting on a pic on facebook from the photos app)and email apps.

5.WebOS internals and other Homebrew devs: Preware comes to mind.

6.touch to share will be another big advantage WebOS will have over android.

7.WebOS is the closets thing you are going to get to the web hence the name WebOS.

8.I can go on and on and you will have your opinion but I'm sure others can give you a bigger list of things WebOS has over Android.Every reviewer of WebOS says its has the best UI and that its more simple and useful.That's why the playbook is copying it.
    true that's on webos but to be fair all that stuff is mostly user interface stuff. But most customers don't by a product to use it's user interface. The don't buy, say an ipad, to swipe from one page to another or to create folders for icons. Palm has to sell multitasking and user interface cause it's really all it has right now, except for a few core apps. But that's HP's problem, user interface is nice but for typical users it's not the driving force behind their purchase. It just has to be functional enough. If it was most important, webos phones would have sold insane numbers. User interface is an over rated geek thing. HP should be creating apps, adding apps, and more and more features.
    You all who keep saying stuff like that are missing my point about presentation entirely. I look at those emails they say "iPad" just looking at first impression. Or maybe I should say "smart cover", which screams Apple.
    i have to admit, the first thing i thought of when i saw the picture of the touchpad in the case with that rolled up stand thing was, "looks like that ipad cover."
    HP continues TouchPad email assault, shows off folding TouchPad case | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    i just dont know how else a cover is supposed to look...
    Does it have to have the similar ridges as the smart cover? There's many cover designs and HP chose that one.

I LOVE this argument getting tossed around these days. "First gen iOS didn't have apps either". Uhh..when it was released, what other mass market phone had tons of apps? It was new to the market, it had the appeal and DID NOT need the apps.

Now, Years later, When it already has MILLIONS of apps, not just iOS but Android too, you're trying to jump in the market with measily 7000 or so apps.

It's not the same scenario, so stop tossing around this irrelevant moot argument that iOS didn't have em either. Well, would been cool if iOS still didn't, but it does. Tough luck.

This needs to be priced at most 449 and 549 and if it realllly wants to sell, $399 and $499.

Rear facing camera IS a big plus. Believe it or not. It's companies that have the mentality that well, Apple didn't even have a camera on the first iPad...well tough luck, it does now and people want the camera on the back. Again I said "WANT" not "NEED". Most don't need it, but they WANT it.

Sorry.... but HP is dreaming about selling a lot of these at $499/$599.
    They need to get some good major apps that other platforms have. They don't need millions but there are several apps that are now common on both iOS and Android and now WP7. Even RIM has some. webOS seems to have few of those.

Now, Years later, When it already has MILLIONS of apps, not just iOS but Android too
    Just a detail: there is close to half milion apps to smartphones...

Hummm... putz! Spamwares a lot!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i just dont know how else a cover is supposed to look...
    don't know. but do you even need a cover? it reminded me of the apple cover simply because it was kinda folded up like a triangle tablet stand. regardless all i can say is that was my first reaction. Why or how to change it i just don't know.

They need to get some good major apps that other platforms have. They don't need millions but there are several apps that are now common on both iOS and Android and now WP7. Even RIM has some. webOS seems to have few of those.
    yeah but i think they need thousands of name apps. Not just a bunch of stuff from the hobbyists developers. people talk netflix but that's just a major one and there are others. What they also need is the thousands of apps from regular companies. like hbo, starbucks, pizza hut, cnn, cnbc, etc and that list is virtually endless. And i think the only way to get that is sales and paying them to be interested in the platform.

i'm off to prepare for the end of the world.
    HP has 324,600 employees, I bet at least 5% of them know some programming, even a small percentage of them alone can produce hundred's of apps. How about HP trying to encourage their own engineers to make some apps, like a company wide internal apps contest?
    Great, any good app came out of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    don't know. but do you even need a cover? it reminded me of the apple cover simply because it was kinda folded up like a triangle tablet stand. regardless all i can say is that was my first reaction. Why or how to change it i just don't know.
    well HP showed off their CARRYING CASE before apple showed off the COVER. they are two different things.

the notion that HP is copying off of or drawing ideas from apple in this regard is silly IMO. besides the triangle folding idea didnt come from either company.
  20.    #60  
    Synergy is on, like, every mobile operating system now.
    No actually, its not. I work with an Android developer. As in, this guy gets paid by his company to write android apps. I showed him synergy on my 1.4.5 Pre-, he was impressed. He showed me the equivalent on his droid X and androided nook color, its no where near as nice as ours. You can click on a contact and see icons for stuff to contact them with, but it doesn't show their info on one screen like ours. And you have to open and load a new app every time you want to change messaging methods. Therefore all messaging between you and one contact cannot appear in one window.

The only thing I've heard has anything close to Synergy is WP7 but I can't confirm that.

But I think between getting rid of the gesture area and Honeycomb getting the vertical scrolling cards....the differences are shrinking big time.
    I think getting rid of the gesture area will help the TouchPad be more intuitive. The first thing and only thing I have to show anyone to be able to play with my Pre is the back gesture.

Also every time I read about Honeycomb on Engadget I see thing's like "clunky, needs work" and every time I read about WebOS on Engadget I see things like "smooth, refined"

Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I LOVE this argument getting tossed around these days. "First gen iOS didn't have apps either". Uhh..when it was released, what other mass market phone had tons of apps? It was new to the market, it had the appeal and DID NOT need the apps.
    Right. But thats not the point. Every platform starts with <100 apps. Android started with zero apps, and rabid iOS guys said it would never sell because they didn't have any apps. We all know how that turned out. Don't say oh we've had two years and we only have 7k blah blah blah.... WebOS didn't really have two years, it was poorly launched and then it missed a product cycle. HP may not sell to the app people right away, but as long as they get a solid app core they should be able to sell enough units to attract developers and get off the ground. Just like Android did.

Now, Years later, When it already has MILLIONS of apps, not just iOS but Android too, you're trying to jump in the market with measily 7000 or so apps.
    Again. Blah blah blah same old whine! WebOS failed! Its being reborn! This is a restart from basically nothing!

This needs to be priced at most 449 and 549 and if it realllly wants to sell, $399 and $499.

Sorry.... but HP is dreaming about selling a lot of these at $499/$599.
    I don't know what kind of fantasy land you come from but parts aren't free. We have the same or better specs than the iPad2 at the same price, with a better OS. Offering MORE at an EQUAL price is the same thing as offering EQUAL specs at a LOWER price.

Rear facing camera IS a big plus. Believe it or not. It's companies that have the mentality that well, Apple didn't even have a camera on the first iPad...well tough luck, it does now and people want the camera on the back. Again I said "WANT" not "NEED". Most don't need it, but they WANT it.
    Personally I wouldn't be caught dead holding up a 10" tablet to take a picture. I, personally, don't want to look like a damn fool. I know I'm not the only one either. If all iPad2 has on the TouchPad is apps and an extra, useless, camera (good for bragging only) then I think HP has a winner on their hands. And by winner, I mean they will sell enough to justify a TouchPad2.

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah but i think they need thousands of name apps. Not just a bunch of stuff from the hobbyists developers. people talk netflix but that's just a major one and there are others. What they also need is the thousands of apps from regular companies. like hbo, starbucks, pizza hut, cnn, cnbc, etc and that list is virtually endless. And i think the only way to get that is sales and paying them to be interested in the platform.
    Isn't HP trying to get like the top 30 apps or something? What more to people realistically want/expect from a new OS launch?
    Last edited by axoneill; 05/20/2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: sp
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast