Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    edit: Looks like the troll's post disappeared.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    The assumption is that the clear winner as far as UI, user experience but I think that unless the user is already well versed in Webos, they are going to be very well trained -- even without any, in iOS from having used other Apple products. HP will still be a bit of mystery, ESP with no gestures.
    Couldn't it be less of a mystery without gestures though? The first thing and only thing I have to show people to play with my Pre is the back gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    It's priced too high. That would be the downfall, I guarantee the price drop with-in the first 60 days of launch.

Average consumers, who make up majority of the market, given the $499/599 price point will choose the iPad2 over other tablets. Unless your goal is to sell a few hundred or thousand and not millions like apple does, then I guess you can price it the same.
    It would be an advantage to be priced lower but you're essentially getting the same hardware specs with an advanced OS for the same price. Sure it doesn't have a rear facing camera but again this isn't going to be a spec war (I have never personally seen anyone hold that thing up as a camera by the way, but I don't know a lot of people with them.)

When official prices are announced we will have a better idea if HP thinks pricing the TouchPad lower and presumably taking a loss on each one is smart.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I don't see how cards and stacks will really change too many minds here.
    I prefer WebOS's UI in every way but from what I have seen the majority don't care. It's what they know how to use, what they know about the brand, and/or what others have.

I would say apples overall user "experience" still belongs to apple. If it is mobile software or hardware it most likely is iOS compatible. It's a huge advantage being the most popular. It has a simple outdated UI for new users and more powerful experience for pro users.

Touchpad and WebOS needs to find it's niche, if that's being like apple then it needs to study the "magical" hard because they aren't the first to try.

Apps and ecosystem is a start.

FORM factor is very important! It's the "ooo look at me" that people see in ads and walking by the shelf in the store. The touchpad doesn't look bad but in comparison to recent tablets not near as spectacular. form matters. ask anyone.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    its not thin, bad. It doesnt have cameras, bad. Has no apps, bad. Oooo touch charging, cool. Same price, ipad time me thinks.

and thats how most consumer buy thoughts will be.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    its not thin, bad. It doesnt have cameras, bad. Has no apps, bad. Oooo touch charging, cool. Same price, ipad time me thinks.

and thats how most consumer buy thoughts will be.
    1. It is thin. We're talking milimeters difference here. Show me a couple milimeters with your thumb and index finger.

2. Apps: 1st gen iOS didn't even have App support. Build it, advertise it, and apps will come.

3. OS: HP offers a far superior operating system and overall experience. iPad = enlarged phone OS circa 2007. TouchPad = Small computer like interface.This is the biggest difference, and at the same price, I believe it will be the one most people care about.

These devices are about to be compared side by side in BestBuy's near you. Snobs and sheep will turn away any sort from any sort of innovation with out a fruit on it. I'm curious as to how the average consumer with a semi-open mind will compare the two. iPad HAS to rely on Apps for usability, WebOS shows usability instantly. Thats something crucial when you're talking about customers trying each device out in-store.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    trust me, I wish it was the case but it is not. To the amount of people I have shown videos and pics of, they ask me all these things. And what does first gen iOS have to do with iOS now? What are trying to still catch up to a 4 year old OS? How is that an excuse.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    trust me, I wish it was the case but it is not. To the amount of people I have shown videos and pics of, they ask me all these things. And what does first gen iOS have to do with iOS now? What are trying to still catch up to a 4 year old OS? How is that an excuse.
    You completely missed the point of the comparison. iOS hasn't had a ground breaking change since they started using Apps. Not on the level of a UI update that allows true-multi tasking for example.

The only attributes WebOS is playing catch up in is marketshare and therefore apps. WebOS blows the current iteration of iOS out of the water in every other aspect. Arguably, since WebOS is more functional out of the box, it won't even need as many Apps to accomplish the same things. A solid core of apps will allow it to take off.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Ideal HP touch pad ad line
    show sheep.. lots and lots of sheep.. all using ipad,,, show a person with TP, show the better user experience with the TP, show your average consumer, show your average business person all using the better TP, Show people turning into sheep when they buy an Ipad, show the sheep getting fleeced, Show sheep transforming instantly into people the minute they pick up a TP.. lol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    Ideal HP touch pad ad line
    show sheep.. lots and lots of sheep.. all using ipad,,, show a person with TP, show the better user experience with the TP, show your average consumer, show your average business person all using the better TP, Show people turning into sheep when they buy an Ipad, show the sheep getting fleeced, Show sheep transforming instantly into people the minute they pick up a TP.. lol
    I'd hire you, thats hilarious. Would most people understand it? Probably not lol. Is picking a direct fight with Apple a smart idea? Probably. Palm tried it and it was funny but they didn't have enough meat behind their cajones.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    When official prices are announced we will have a better idea if HP thinks pricing the TouchPad lower and presumably taking a loss on each one is smart.
    I don't think HP will take a loss, and I don't suggest they do.

Its simply a chose of less profit and more market share, or a large profit and less market share.

Apple always get 50+% profit. And EEE pad is selling $399 with more guts inside. These two together, suggest that the cost of making these things is around $300 each. ~$250 for parts.

This product suppose to open market for HP, with $499 as lowest price, it just won't happen.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't think HP will take a loss, and I don't suggest they do.

Its simply a chose of less profit and more market share, or a large profit and less market share.

Apple always get 50+% profit. And EEE pad is selling $399 with more guts inside. These two together, suggest that the cost of making these things is around $300 each. ~$250 for parts.

This product suppose to open market for HP, with $499 as lowest price, it just won't happen.
    Do you think HP would have a better chance if they had released their 7" tablet first?

Its kind of interesting to look at their strategy. In phones they release the cheap, little guy first then the big boys and in tablets its the exact opposite.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I think HP has a chance here. They have the coolness factor of WebOS without being tethered to iTunes for every update and for all purchases.

What Apple has though is polish. If HP wants to charge the same price for a Touchpad as an iPad2 they need everything to work together with that same polish. Something Android tablets are not doing yet so they are cheaper. And HP can do it, if they really want to.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    You completely missed the point of the comparison. iOS hasn't had a ground breaking change since they started using Apps. Not on the level of a UI update that allows true-multi tasking for example.

The only attributes WebOS is playing catch up in is marketshare and therefore apps. WebOS blows the current iteration of iOS out of the water in every other aspect. Arguably, since WebOS is more functional out of the box, it won't even need as many Apps to accomplish the same things. A solid core of apps will allow it to take off.
    once again, no one is denying that. webos>ios, but to the masses, they havent ever heard of webos. and to the masses, OS doesnt matter, its if they can sync their music to it, and does it go on the web, and lastly does it have their favourite apps. this is the mases we are talking about not, us tech nerds.

It need to be priced at under the cheapest equivelent andriod device for it to take off.
    Do you think HP would have a better chance if they had released their 7" tablet first?

Its kind of interesting to look at their strategy. In phones they release the cheap, little guy first then the big boys and in tablets its the exact opposite.
    The answer is yes, partly because I want a 7" one to carry around. I played with both 7" and 10" tab, and I know 10" will largely be a home device, while 7" can go everywhere.

I think HP just saw apple gets reward for the iPad and went for the same size. I don't know what kind of market research they did, but its wrong in my view.

I can't blame them, because they are not the only one who felt in the trap. Look at Motorola, the praise it got from CES apparently blind those guys and they priced the thing into oblivion.

We should find some sales figures of galaxytab, xoom, eee pad, etc and put them together see which one is more attractive to buyers.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    HP and the TouchPad doesnt need to beat apple... they just need to sell a decent amount to be successful. Its not a "winner take all"
    Fact: Apple instigated the "pad" market.

Conclusions: All tablets that enter that market after it will be seen by the consuming public as "imitations"; they will be compared to it, as it is the "baseline" for the market.

You can't really argue this.. it just is, BUT, can one of those perceived "imitators" steal market share and become successful?

Absolutely! Here's why:

Apple certainly did bring the capacitve, midsize formfactor to mobile computing - but, they didnt think of everything, and this is where the consuming public will, after some time, learn to want more than "standard" iPad stuff.

WebOS does feel more intuitive for most (but, not ALL) who try it; TTS and the Touchstone are also very cool nuances that add "more" to that experience - if HP can bring more to the table that is different than its competitive predecessor, then it is quite possible for a significant amount of people to see and appreciate those differences enough to warrant purchasing the associated devices that incorporate them.

The Pre 3 with that hardware keyboard and 3.6" screen is going to be, IMO, a key competitor to other smartphones, and its ability to work with the TouchPad will likely make that combination a very desirable one for a certain market sector - how much of that spreads and becomes "viral", however, remains to be seen.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Dissappointed with the price. I was hoping it will come out at $400. I still not going to buy it but I was thinking about 7 inch device. If $400 was base price for this device, then 7 inch would've been either 300 to 350. But now 7 inch probably will be 400 to 450. Oh well, I hope it does well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    HP and the TouchPad doesnt need to beat apple... they just need to sell a decent amount to be successful. Its not a "winner take all"
    Right, but to sell decent amount, HP must beat cheaper Android tablets. So, on one side there is Ipad2 at same price, and on another numerous cheaper Android tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Personally I think the smart cover is useless. Screen protectors and a real case can be bought at the same prices. I'm just speaking of how the advertising in those HP emails is presented. The first thing that struck me was "iPad".

I will say though that the HP case looks more useful. It actually covers the full TouchPad.
    So if it's more useful then the ipads cover.That would mean HPalm made a btter product? But that's not the reason why people bought an Ipad. Spec wars is the name of the game.Every company has done it.Even the ipad has done it.The first ipad didn't have two cameras or other specs.Android and other tablets had those specs before the Ipad but that didn't stop apple from putting those specs in the Ipad 2.But nobody says they are copying.But as soon as Hpalm does something to compete,then they are copying.(such bs)
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Right, but to sell decent amount, HP must beat cheaper Android tablets. So, on one side there is Ipad2 at same price, and on another numerous cheaper Android tablets.
    I disagree,name one android tablet or any other cheaper tablet besides the nook that is selling well? I don't think you will see a $399 TP point blank.If the TP can deliver on specs and user experience which it will.Then it don't have to be priced as cheap as other tablets.I tink most ppl complain because they know they want one and $499 and $599 isn't cheap enough.But complain all you want.Most companies won't change the price of a product because of the price of the materials it took to make it.In time it may get cheaper but I don't think it will be cheaper then $450 for a 16gb TP.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast