Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SD Slot would be nice...but then I suspect HP and Palm's tablet is designed using last years hardware spec and making adjustments now is a little extreme cost wise. Actually speaking of the hardware, I also suspect HP is following Apple's model for one reason alone. If you make something similar to Apple...you can also use the same OEM parts that Apple uses already in the channel.

HP is already stepping up to the plate making their own applications similar to Apple to do photo, video, chat and otherwise. Who's to say that HP won't make a Native Netflix, Hulu, or otherwise app dedicated to their platform. Can you imagine having a HP Video Synergy app that ties all the major players and standards (Youtube - done, Netflix, Hulu, etc) into one system providing direct service and support and not requiring users to download and setup these components individually. That would be fantastic and I'm hoping HP has seen the light about this opportunity.

HP will be well received for a few reason...not everyone likes Apple or Android (look at the 100K who have bought Playbooks). WebOS is by far the best operating system for the tablet market hands down when it comes to interface, applications, and usability...has anyone used IOS or Honeycomb lately. Apple and Android may have the mind share and apps, but that's about all. Their operating systems are showing their age (especially IOS) and Apple better step up to the plate soon since even Android is innovating quicker then they are. June is almost hear and I'm excited! Thanks for the link to the article. Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    bnceo: The SD Slot is incredibly important. Cloud based music on a device that's supposed to have premium audio (that Beats garbage) is a joke. Streaming audio tends to be pretty low quality. You don't stream lossless rips from the cloud. If they support this, I will be shocked. Either way, the lack of SD is most definitely the biggest reason I will not be getting a Pre3, it can MAYBE slide on this, but the audio is not going to be great.

To everyone in this post, you are delusional if you think that Netflix will be coming to webOS any time soon. It took them how long to get to Android? And Android has how many more users?

deesugar: The markets are literally not comparable in any way. And even if they were, it was marketing that got the Wii to where it is. Have you seen any marketing for the TP. If we were to compare this to a video game system, I would say it most closely resembles the Sega Saturn. Let's do a "surprise" launch. That'll get the customers!
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Man, you must be one lucky fellow to have used a Touchpad in order to state with fact that the TP will not have Netflix, has so-so battery life, so-so screen resolution and that it has a number of short comings. Have you written your review since you have a review unit?...
    Last Christmas, I bought a blueray DVD player that had Netflix on it. Didn't say that on the box, didn't say it in any advertising. From what I saw of the "application" on the DVD player, that's a pretty simple program to write. I suspect we'll see Netflix on the Touchpad if they sell any quantity worth talking about.
    ...To everyone in this post, you are delusional if you think that Netflix will be coming to webOS any time soon. It took them how long to get to Android? And Android has how many more users?...
    See comments above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

All these “tech-bloggers” constantly write about how there is the ipad and then nobody after that. Guess what? When the “news” people covering a topic tell the average Joe that the average Joe doesn’t believe there are any options other than the ipad… …then that’s exactly what the average Joe will think.

Meanwhile there are other options, they are selling quite briskly and these “tech-reports” are doing the average Joe a disservice by continually trumpeting how the ipad has no competition.

Heck, even the lowly Acer tablet is projecting a million sales of their 10” tablet this spring:

[url]

-Suntan
    Exactly. The "lowly, inferior" GTab7 knocked the "magical" Ipad down from 93% marketshare to 74%. And everyone agrees the XOOM and Transformer are better tablets.

Heck Sammy revealed the "magical" iPad2 for the slower, fatter, heavier, worse camera'd device it really is. Clearly Sammy has some kick a** warlocks since their GTab10 is THINNER than the "magically thin" Ipad.

What will happen when people will start getting their hands on that one? Yep, iPad marketshare will fall further. Their "resell the same device" strategy that cost them the smartphone lead will similarly cost them the tablet lead as well.

As for HP, they've already shown they have MASSIVELY more Ad budget than Palm (at 126x the revenue, well duh) Go ahead and call LeBron's agent and as how much for him to make an APPEARANCE much less shoot a commercial. Go ahead, see how much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    ...has anyone used IOS or Honeycomb lately.
    Yes, I have. It’s not as bad as everyone here wants to believe. At least to the point that WebOS’s merits were not enough to sway me to look past the Touchpad’s demerits.

Honeycomb needs to clean up its flakiness. They shouldn’t worry about adding more features right now until they get the bugs out of it. If Honeycomb were completely stable, I wouldn’t have any issue with recommending it to anyone.

The reality is that most of us here got to liking WebOS a couple years back at a time when apple phones had some seriously lacking features and android was a mishmash. I don’t really know anything about apple products since then, and I don’t know a whole lot about android phones, but Honeycomb is shaping up to be just as usable as WebOS. On top of that, it has features that WebOS users might actually appreciate if they would just stop being so stridently stubborn about the “WebOS or nothing” mentality.

-Suntan
  5.    #25  
    Yes, I have. It’s not as bad as everyone here wants to believe. At least to the point that WebOS’s merits were not enough to sway me to look past the Touchpad’s demerits.
    a time when apple phones had some seriously lacking features and android was a mishmash. I don’t really know anything about apple products since then, and I don’t know a whole lot about android phones, but Honeycomb is shaping up to be just as usable as WebOS. On top of that, it has features
    Honeycomb needs to clean up its flakiness. They shouldn’t worry about adding more features right now until they get the bugs out of it. If Honeycomb were completely stable, I wouldn’t have any issue with recommending it to anyone.

The reality is that most of us here got to liking WebOS a couple years back at that WebOS users might actually appreciate if they would just stop being so stridently stubborn about the “WebOS or nothing” mentality.

-Suntan

Cool, WebOS isn't for you anymore. Alright! Everyone negative on the OS think people aren't going to buy it based on OS alone. How the hell did Microsoft get so big then? One of the main reasons is great OS, Windows 95 vs OS 7. LOL!

Suntan and others like him seem to forget these devices are about to be compared side-by-side in BestBuy stores country wide. People see the iPad and see it does one thing well. Next to it is this unit by HP, also a well known computer manufaturer, that looks and works more like a normal computer. In that 15 minutes a customer isn't going to download all their favorite apps (if they even have any yet) and watch a game on ESPN. They are going to play around with the OS and get a feel for it. Which device do you think is going to look more powerful, side by side? The average, ignorant, customer is going to say "oh its got a 1.2ghz processor instead of a 1ghz, that must be why it can do multiple things (durrr)"

Sure it won't sell as many as the iPad but its sure going to sell! Especially with a guy trained in WebOS next to all the customers at BB
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    This article is completely wrong
    In as much as i love the TP and would go for it because i love WebOS
    No body would walk into a store see the big,bulky,heavy touchpad with no back facing camera and with a fraction of apps,no hdmi and pick it over the iPad 2
    .... Wait do they even know what the touchpad is ? No MARKETING a month to its launch , the Xoom and Playbook had some adds a month before their release
    People critize the iPad over flash it doesnt have fkash but that didnt stop it from selling over 15million last year neither did it help the playbook to sell more tablets and have less % of people returning it
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Cool, WebOS isn't for you anymore. Alright!
    On the contrary, I really like WebOS and would prefer to use it if they offered hardware that met my needs *and* had the same apps available. They don't, not even close, and WebOS isn't *that good* to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Everyone negative on the OS think people aren't going to buy it based on OS alone.
    That's just it, I'm not negative. I'm realistic. The people that think the heavens will open when someone goes into BB and sees the complete awesomeness of WebOS are the ones that have expectations set too high.

It didn't happen with the Pre, I doubt it will happen with the TP.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by see_wor View Post
    No body would walk into a store see the big,bulky,heavy touchpad with no back facing camera and with a fraction of apps,no hdmi and pick it over the iPad 2
    I guess I'm "no body" because that's exactly what I plan to do. I believe the apps will come and the other "features" you mentioned mean nothing to me.
    bnceo: The SD Slot is incredibly important.
    No - it isn't.
    It might well be "incredibly important" to you - but that doesn't mean that the rest of the market cares about it enough.

How many SD slots has the very successful IPad?

I know exactly 0 people who would even notive if a device had a SD slot.

IMHO very minor - nice to have - but utterly unimportant feature.

Cloud based music on a device that's supposed to have premium audio (that Beats garbage) is a joke. Streaming audio tends to be pretty low quality. You don't stream lossless rips from the cloud.
    Again - lossless audio might be super-important to *you* but most people are happy enough with all those lossy codec devices and streams out there.

If they support this, I will be shocked. Either way, the lack of SD is most definitely the biggest reason I will not be getting a Pre3, it can MAYBE slide on this, but the audio is not going to be great.
    Yoou are right - the audio will probably not be "great". Hey - it's a small lightweight tablet device with audio quality as an afterthought. Probably very similar - possibly better - than IPad. IPad sells like hot cakes without great audio quality.

To everyone in this post, you are delusional if you think that Netflix will be coming to webOS any time soon. It took them how long to get to Android? And Android has how many more users?
    Number of user might be irrelevant if HP pays for the app to be ported.

I have no idea either way. And my guess is you don't have more information either.

deesugar: The markets are literally not comparable in any way. And even if they were, it was marketing that got the Wii to where it is.
    Marketing was necessary and helpful - but wasn't enough. There was one main reason for the Wiis success - and that was it's innovative controller.

Have you seen any marketing for the TP.
    Not yet. But the device isn't available yet either. When then the TP is available and HP doesn't do a noticable campaign - *then* you'll have a point.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSeastrand View Post
    I guess I'm "no body" because that's exactly what I plan to do. I believe the apps will come and the other "features" you mentioned mean nothing to me.
    I'm with you.

The only negatives people keep bringing up are either false, apps, price (compared to a "value tablet") or "herp durppp no advertising yet. HP must not be trying"

Who the hell advertises for a product that no one can buy in a store for another month? Sure you could have a Droid style teaser add, but that just kinda got the name out. I think HP is simply being practical and we will see the release soon and all the naysayers will have to find something new.

People seem to be equating HP with Palm around here. They are vastly different companies with vastly different resources. You think HP is going to waste all that money they spent on Palm? LOL. "Hurr durr HP isn't run well." My ***. The company is freaking huge! A "bad" quarter or a even a couple "bad" years and you still wouldn't have the right to call them anything other than a successful venture. I expect a huge push from HP when the time is right. I also expect to see TouchPads sell in decent quantities. People want to use these as computer replacements. A household name computer company, like HP or Apple, will demand a customers attention when looking for a computer like device.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  11.    #31  
    I'm realistic. The people that think the heavens will open when someone goes into BB and sees the complete awesomeness of WebOS are the ones that have expectations set too high.

It didn't happen with the Pre, I doubt it will happen with the TP.
    I haven't really seen anyone around here expecting that, have you? I believe HP's push for the device along with WebOS's advantages will sell the device. How much? Enough to gain marketshare and to justify TouchPad2. Also enough to attract some good developers and a few new fan_boyz. Thats my realistic. Then again, I'm also a habitual optimist.

As far as the fairness in comparing the TouchPad release with the Pre release: see my post above.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    How much? Enough to gain marketshare and to justify TouchPad2.
    Just so we’re clear, you are really looking forward to buying a product that is just good enough to justify developing a second version…

Feel free to be the customer that pays money to support them in their endeavors of justifying development of the replacement model.

Personally, I’m more interested in purchasing something that meets my needs now.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    No - it isn't.
    It might well be "incredibly important" to you...How many SD slots has the very successful IPad?
    Everything I read mentions the lack of SD slot, so yeah, people care. And your statement about the iPad betrays your lack of understanding of why people buy Apple products. They are purchased in spite of price and lack of functionality, as Apple has managed to make themselves a sort of status brand, with excellent marketing. Not because they aren't as functional as the competition.

Again - lossless audio might be super-important to *you* but most people are happy enough with all those lossy codec devices and streams out there...Yoou are right - the audio will probably not be "great". Hey - it's a small lightweight tablet device with audio quality as an afterthought. Probably very similar - possibly better - than IPad. IPad sells like hot cakes without great audio quality.
    People here really have to stop comparing the TouchPad with the iPad. People will not buy this product for the same reasons. As I have said, this matters more with the Pre3, people want convergence devices, and only Apple has really created a phone that can competently replace an MP3 player. But what is laughable about the cloud music thing with the TP is, again, that HP is marketing the audio (Beats).

Marketing was necessary and helpful - but wasn't enough. There was one main reason for the Wiis success - and that was it's innovative controller.

Not yet. But the device isn't available yet either. When then the TP is available and HP doesn't do a noticable campaign - *then* you'll have a point.
    I have addressed and re-addressed the Wii. PreCentral users seem to love to use it as an example. But let's review a few things. The Wii was sold largely to non-gamers, it was marketed as a casual, fun, gaming system. You can't grow a market without marketing. Gamers knew about the Wii, advertising aside, but non-gamers didn't, because the average person doesn't follow upcoming systems. You have to market your products to them. Nintendo was also a household name among parents that played the NES, nostalgia isn't going to sell a single TouchPad.

And your last paragraph, you're right, it doesn't even have a launch date yet. Which is, frankly, a joke. They just fall further and further behind by the day, and HP seems to just not care.

I hate being negative here all the time, but I want HP to succeed with webOS, and someone needs to light a fire under their *****, seriously. And defending their shortcomings just doesn't make any sense. I am glad the gadget media doesn't let them off as easily, we might actually see better webOS devices in the future, as a result.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  14.    #34  
    Just so we’re clear, you are really looking forward to buying a product that is just good enough to justify developing a second version…

Feel free to be the customer that pays money to support them in their endeavors of justifying development of the replacement model.

Personally, I’m more interested in purchasing something that meets my needs now.

-Suntan
    Jeez....I thought I was being pretty clear. No, thats not why I might buy a TouchPad.... If I buy one its because it fits my needs and I have the extra cash lying around. Other fun projects in my life, namely automotive ones, may use it up, I haven't decided yet.

I was speculating on HP's way forward with this device and WebOS. I'm sure the device will sell because it will meet certain people's needs and, for the sake of the platform, hopefully it sells enough to justify another round because the more devices the better. Clear as mud?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Back to the whole article-thing: Well, the Touchpad got some quite nice press coverage in Germany recently. Although tech-journalists in Germany tend to be a bit biased towards the Fruit Company, this article does regard the TP with quite some favour.

HP TouchPad: Wer Palm liebt, wird dieses Tablet mögen - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Netzwelt

As to the little trench-war above: I gave my iPad to my sister, I am planning to put the bloody iPhone4 on eBay and rush into the store to grab a Pre3 and a Touchpad as soon as they hit the shelves ...

Regards
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by see_wor View Post
    In as much as i love the TP and would go for it because i love WebOS
    .... Wait do they even know what the touchpad is ? No MARKETING a month to its launch , the Xoom and Playbook had some adds a month before their release
    People critize the iPad over flash it doesnt have fkash but that didnt stop it from selling over 15million last year neither did it help the playbook to sell more tablets and have less % of people returning it

It's not much bigger than the iPad one and millions of people purchased that tablet. It has a fantastic OS and if HP can give people a great user experience that is what will matter. A back facing camera? Really? Have you used the iPad 2 back facing camera? It's total junk.

The Playbook failed to reach its target by 90%. That isn't selling.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12