Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody seen any news/information with regard to the interaction of the TouchPad and the Pre/Veer with 1.4.5?

With Sprint not looking good for the Pre 3 right now, I'm wondering if my old Pre on 1.4.5 will still forward calls and texts and such to the TouchPad like the Pre 3/Veer would.

Anyone seen/heard anything about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Has anybody seen any news/information with regard to the interaction of the TouchPad and the Pre/Veer with 1.4.5?

With Sprint not looking good for the Pre 3 right now, I'm wondering if my old Pre on 1.4.5 will still forward calls and texts and such to the TouchPad like the Pre 3/Veer would.

That will not be possible as older devices do no have the communications coil that is necessary for TTS. Maybe its possible that someone could find a way to do it via bluetooth but there is not much development going on for 1.4.5 anymore so i wouldn't hold your breathe on that one.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Why would forwarding calls use TTS? It probably just uses bluetooth for fowarding, but I don't know if 1.4.5 has the necessary bluetooth support.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    Why would forwarding calls use TTS? It probably just uses bluetooth for fowarding, but I don't know if 1.4.5 has the necessary bluetooth support.
    Good point.
    Neato! could add support between the two.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    All I can say is that I'm crossing my fingers. Hurry up and release HP!
    The larger question I think is can you share your profile between them and what gotcha's will that bring?
    I've read here that the text-forwarding, calls, etc are handled via Bluetooth. If that's the case, theoretically a patch could be created for older webOS devices.
    IMO, your only hope would be homebrew. Even if it would only take HP a minimum amount of effort to implement it on pre-2.x devices, they won't. Those devices are obsolete and users of them need to expect less support as time goes on.

I feel your pain re: Sprint, though, OP, as Sprint obviously has nothing better than a 1.4.5 device to offer. I also hope they announce the Pre3 (or another 2.x+ device) soon. In the meantime, the Veer is a special treat.

it's not going to happen the email i just got which links to the hp touchpad site states "Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection."
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    it's not going to happen the email i just got which links to the hp touchpad site states "Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection."
    Actually, if you read carefully, that footnote only applies to the TTS functionality. The call forwarding is mentioned in "If a call or text message arrives on your HP Pre3 smartphone, you can answer or reply right from TouchPad.2,3,4"

So they say Pre3, but the footnotes 2, 3, 4 don't point to footnote 5:
    5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    ohhhh i should read more lol
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Im mostly curious to see how having webos 2.1 on my sprint pre minus, if they share profiles, how will that work. Will it sync and only allow apps back/forth that are compatible? If its all jacked up / screwy then I'll use a spare profile to use on my touchpad until I get a Pre 3 or later sprint hp device that are dually compatible to share info.
    With Sprint not looking good for the Pre 3 right now,
    Where did you get this information from???
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    Im mostly curious to see how having webos 2.1 on my sprint pre minus, if they share profiles, how will that work. Will it sync and only allow apps back/forth that are compatible? If its all jacked up / screwy then I'll use a spare profile to use on my touchpad until I get a Pre 3 or later sprint hp device that are dually compatible to share info.
    You would need WebOS 2.2. It would not work with WebOS 2.1. Guess you'd have to metadr or frankenpre it again to see if you have any success?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Where did you get this information from???
    Everything I've read gives me stomach aches that Sprint won't get the Pre 3. Obviously none of us know anything at all, but I'm already writing the eulogy.

Never considered myself a pessimist, but...

So even with the inforamtion out there, it's still not abundantly clear exactly what will work.

Any of those Devs out there that have received a test TP unit chime in?
    I think the lack of information about Sprint carrying the pre3 is just as positive as it is negative. We hardly know anything about anything right now, but Sprint knows the amount of customers who want it, so I honestly don't think we will be totally let down. The fact that they didn't flat out say NO yet means something...besides HP wants a global reach, and Sprint is part of that goal. But I don't think they will bother supporting legacy devices for too much longer (because everyone will have a new Pre).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I just hope they get all the profile issues worked out to easily migrate/share profiles no matter the version your using.
    there is no interaction between 1.4.5 and the TP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    there is no interaction between 1.4.5 and the TP
    Phew, thanks for clearing that up for us.

Move along folks, nothing to see here..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast