Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Phew, thanks for clearing that up for us.

Move along folks, nothing to see here..
    ROFL *shuffles away*
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    The larger question I think is can you share your profile between them and what gotcha's will that bring?
    For me, this is the key question. I don't like the idea of having to create two profiles while I wait to see whether Bell is going to carry the Pre3. I still love my Pre minus but I don't want to be stuck with two profiles, start buying apps for the TouchPad and then have to rebuy them again when I get a phone that can share profiles.

I know the TouchPad will not communicate with legacy devices, but the real question, for me anyways, is whether legacy devices can share profiles with the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Sprint pays attention to their FaceBook page. I do a quick scan every once in a while and almost every day there is someone up there asking about Pre3 availability...For a while there it was kinda funny, every post for 2 weeks was askin about WebOS/Pres. There are about 2-3 million Sprint Pres/Pixis out there (a guesstimate) - Even with how bad Sprint thinks they got burned by Palm in 2009, I can't believe there is a unfixable relationship there - Crap if it is just about money - HP could pull what Sprint thinks they lost out of the couch cushions in Leo's office and fix this whole mess. I'm 3 of those 2-3 million and if Sprint doesn't announce the release of a WebOS phone shortly - I'm takin my 5 accounts and 12 years of being a loyal and happy customer to one of the big dogs...It might cost me a bit more, but I'll get what I want...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I think the lack of information about Sprint carrying the pre3 is just as positive as it is negative. We hardly know anything about anything right now, but Sprint knows the amount of customers who want it, so I honestly don't think we will be totally let down. The fact that they didn't flat out say NO yet means something...besides HP wants a global reach, and Sprint is part of that goal. But I don't think they will bother supporting legacy devices for too much longer (because everyone will have a new Pre).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I'm worried that using the same profile as my pre1 would fubar it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    I'm worried that using the same profile as my pre1 would fubar it up.
    My 2 cents...
    We cannot go from 1.4.5.x to 2.x without permanently converting the profile to 2.x today. The TP uses 3.x. I think the ability to have profile support across multiple versions is something that may be supported in version 2.2 and higher only.
    It wouldn't surprise me entirely if the TouchPad was able to handle calls as if it were a speakerphone. But SMS and TTS are probably out.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #27  
    As long as I an use the same profile, I will manage.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Yup, but that is the million dollar question and my bet is that the answer is NO.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Yup, but that is the million dollar question and my bet is that the answer is NO.
    Now that Rod Whitby and crew have a TP or two, I'm hoping this kind of info will come quickly.
    I think we can share profiles/apps, but perhaps apps that you download for the touchpad won't show up on the old pre. But the profile knows what you own/compatible devices/apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    The larger question I think is can you share your profile between them and what gotcha's will that bring?
    THIS! Truly is the real big questions.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Does hp have to limit TTS to Pre x? if its only bluetooth, surely something can work with any phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Does hp have to limit TTS to Pre x? if its only bluetooth, surely something can work with any phone?
    TTS is not through bluetooth, its through coils.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    TTS is not through bluetooth, its through coils.
    It's through both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's through both.
    This!

Technically the data is shared via BT, but the connection and handshake is made by the coils.

We shall see if homebrew will have the ability to do anything with this on software prior to 2.2 or hardware prior to Veer/Pre3/whatever's next.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Here is what I found from palm's forum (of course the person asking has a VZW Pre+, but it is still the same OS version): Touchpad and 1.4.5.x - Support Community

It appears you will be able to use the same profile or at least I hope that is what's being said (I pre ordered my touch pad today based on this so I hope it is correct ).

I'm in the same boat, living with sprint, stuck with 1.4.5 until they release another WebOS device (if ever). I'm going to hold out at least until the 4th quater with pre minus until I switch to a bigger carrier.
    Perhaps the "we'll make things right" statement will simply turn out to mean those of us desperately clinging on to our Sprint Pre- can get a Touchpad and use our same profile without messing up the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    there is no interaction between 1.4.5 and the TP
    Think again!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...e-1-4-5-a.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I paired my Pre2 with a Walmart Touchpad today. I was able to answer an incoming call on my touchpad.

I then paired my fiance's Pre Minus to the touch pad. It saw it and said connected, but I couldn't seem to make it work. I did not see my incoming call and I was forced to answer it on her Pre Minus.

This also could be a factor of BT not always properly communicating. We have this on one of our BT enabled car stereos, where it can get glitchy and requires a disconnect and reconnect (i daily listen to podcasts via BT)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast