1.    #1  
    HP said that they left out gestures in a touchpad because they didn't work right/were confusing. Apparently, it's fantastic on the Blackberry Playbook:

BlackBerry PlayBook review -- Engadget

Like webOS? If so, you're going to love what's hiding under the PlayBook's (healthy) bezels -- capacitive digitizers that recognize a variety of gestures. System gestures originate to the side of the pixels and terminate on the screen...

To switch from one app to the next you can swipe inward from the left or the right, which pops the app out of full-screen and lets you move forward or back in the queue. A tap then maximizes your new favorite app. Or, a swipe up from the bottom gives you an even higher-level view of your running apps, which you can again zing your way through. Grabbing one and throwing it upward sends it to the garbage collector, or you can tap the tiny X that appears next to its name.

Swiping from the top of the app brings down a context menu, extra controls that let you save files in Word to Go or jump from one album to another in the media player. Finally, swipe in from either top corner of the screen and you get a system context menu that displays the date and time, simple media controls, battery and connectivity indicators, and a little gear you can tap to tweak your system settings.

Ultimately it's very intuitive to use and, even better, it feels really good.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think hp just did not want to make it an intergral part of the exp, and more like an option. gestures will be there.......
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    HP said that they left out gestures in a touchpad because they didn't work right/were confusing. [/url]
    Uh ... can I get a source, please?
    All things can change till the device actually ships
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Uh ... can I get a source, please?
    I don't remember the source but their testing of it with consumers showed that the gesture area was confusing to them. I also remember reading in some thread here and hearing in the podcast that the Pre 3 and Veer will be the last webos devices with gesture areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I don't remember the source but their testing of it with consumers showed that the gesture area was confusing to them. I also remember reading in some thread here and hearing in the podcast that the Pre 3 and Veer will be the last webos devices with gesture areas.
    Sounds like a ton of rumor to me.

Here's another one:

I find it a lot more believable that HP had tablet hardware designed and built already before acquiring Palm, and that it's this hardware they decided to stick webOS on. The digitizer didn't extend beyond the screen on this already-designed-and/or-built hardware, so they altered webOS 3.0 to exclude the gesture area.

Horrible idea, but what can you do.
    Sounds like a ton of rumor to me.

Here's another one:

I find it a lot more believable that HP had tablet hardware designed and built already before acquiring Palm, and that it's this hardware they decided to stick webOS on. The digitizer didn't extend beyond the screen on this already-designed-and/or-built hardware, so they altered webOS 3.0 to exclude the gesture area.

Horrible idea, but what can you do.
    I think it has a lot more to do with webos being on computers. The gesture area is not compatible with a mouse so they are doing away with it in the software to make building apps more efficient across different devices. With iOS and Android actually starting to embrace the use of gestures like webos does, I would hope HP has figured out a way to keep that elegance there even if gesture areas won't be present. I think mojo apps on the touchpad will have a some area under the app where you can backswipe and such.

This thread has a pretty in depth conversation about the lack of gesture area on the touchpad.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ture-area.html
    I heard a quote saying the gesture area would be overly tricky and pricey to implement. BUT: The playbook doesn't have one either. The playbook just recognizes swipes from off the screen to on the screen.

Quote about HP trying a gesture area at some point in development:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...re-area-8.html

"Sebastiaan de With writes:
    The TouchPad actually lacks the familiar (and brilliant) Pre / Pixi ‘gesture area’, which lets you swipe left or right and up to respectably go forward or back in navigation or open the launcher for opening apps. Several employees familiar with the matter told me that in the development phase of the TouchPad, the gesture area (or having even four of them on each side of the screen) didn’t hold up as a usable solution."

-http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/hp-webos-event-roundup/

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    HP said that they left out gestures in a touchpad because they didn't work right/were confusing. Apparently, it's fantastic on the Blackberry Playbook:

BlackBerry PlayBook review -- Engadget
    Way to be late to the party. MOD! Merge this with another gesture complaint!
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Way to be late to the party. MOD! Merge this with another gesture complaint!
    Way to be a jerk to the OP. Also, I didn't realize that mods responded more quickly when you yelled commands at them. I'll have to try that.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Way to be a jerk to the OP. Also, I didn't realize that mods responded more quickly when you yelled commands at them. I'll have to try that.
    My sincere apologies to you. But there have been many threads about this before. Not only does it link to an older article, but it's a complaint already stated multiple times.

Do you wish to get into a e-fight so the mod can close the thread?