View Poll Results: What's the highest price at which you'd DEFINITELY buy a touchpad?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700+

7 3.63%
  • $650

2 1.04%
  • $600

20 10.36%
  • $550

16 8.29%
  • $500

54 27.98%
  • $450

12 6.22%
  • $400

36 18.65%
  • $350

17 8.81%
  • $300

24 12.44%
  • Nothing would make me buy it

5 2.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I answered "nothing" perhaps because I read the question too literally. E.g. "At what price point would I be unable to walk away from it?" Which is a different question than, "What is a reasonable price for the touchpad?"

I think my answer is about $200. I simply would no be able to walk away if it were that inexpensive. Of course if it were $300, I'd probably still buy it, but it's not definate. I'd have to think about it.

At $500 - e.g. the same price as an iPad2 - I probably wouldn't buy it. I'd react about the same as I react to an iPad2, and the iPad before it: I'd probably just buy another cheap laptop for less. Which is exactly what I did last November when I was in the market. I chose a $350 laptop over an iPad. I'm pretty sure I'd make that same choice again.

My point is this: I answered the question differently than I see most people answering it here.
    We're on the same page. As Suntan pointed out, there are some tablets available for $200 (or less), but those are generally poorly made Android 2.2 tablets. I am saying that the higher-end tablets--iPads, TouchPads, Xooms, etc.--will eventually sell for right around the $200 mark. At that price, I might find an excuse to buy one.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Alright i_mag, Congratulations on throwing me off with your signature
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    lol, got me confused for a bit then i realized that my cursor is black.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    You're welcome
    I said 700 but I need 4G to be included.
    and loads of hard drive space... and thats the absolute MAX I would pay! Heck a pre3 should be included too!
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I may get flogged for bringing this up, but if it is priced over 500 I think I would rather pay a little more for a used hp slate 500. If it were 400 starting, I would wait for the price to drop to 300 and then buy. I know the slate doesn't have webos but I think someday someone will come up with a way to dual boot webos. I am in a situation where I need to upgrade my laptop and I don't know if I could justify 500 or more on a tablet that is behind the curve spec wise.
    I should also add that if they had some sort of package deal with the pre 3 o would buy it at $500 no problem.
    I dont know what the cost is for them per unit? I am sure they have a huge markup and it would cover it but i could be wrong. Microsoft is giving away free xbox w/kinect for buying a windows laptop for over $699. So maybe like 6 months after release they would be able to have a deal like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdiyguy View Post
    I should also add that if they had some sort of package deal with the pre 3 o would buy it at $500 no problem.
    you know what would be hilarious? HP give Pre 3 buyer a $100 discount on Touchpad. i.e., "make things right". A.K.A we only "make things right" if you buy a pre3 and touchad combo.

Corporate greed is running high at HP.

If "making things right" and "combo deal" is not separated, I will surely not buy this touchpad. Granted, I don't really have much interest in this big tablet to begin with.
    Greed is always running high with any big business unfortunately. They try to spin things in a way that make you feel like your getting a great deal when in fact they are profiting. It will always be that way though. To get back on topic I think they would have to give more of a discount that $100 and they better not act like that is the "making things right" b/c everyone knows its just a sales tactic, or they should know that at least.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I voted nothing would make me buy it. If there was an option for $100 or so, then I'd pick one up just as a plaything, but I'm fully aware that's very unrealistic. I've had enough of webOS never taking off, and that coupled with poor hardware means a webOS tablet is a complete non starter for me.
    Of our loyal following here, the results for $600 or more were:
    $700+ 3.80%
    $650 1.09%
    $600 10.33%

So 15% of loyalist would pay $600 or more. There are maybe 2 million true loyalists? So maybe 300,000 Touchpads will sell over time at $600? We will have to see how close that comes.

Matching the iPad 2 price of $499 was the sweetspot for loyalists. We don't know what it would be for regular consumers.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Matching the iPad 2 price of $499 was the sweetspot for loyalists. We don't know what it would be for regular consumers.
    If $499 was the sweet spot for hardcore webOS fans, you can bet that the sweet spot for regular consumers is significantly lower. Why would any regular consumer choose the bulky, poorly supported TouchPad over either the established and well supported market leader at the same price, or a significantly cheaper Android tablet (e.g. Asus Transformer) with similar or superior build quality and materials and greater support? I really feel like the TouchPad is a lost cause at this point. At the same price point there are much more worthwhile options in terms of both hardware and software (Galaxy Tab 10.1, iPad 2), whilst there are similar/better hardware options available at a much lower price point.
    With android tablets easy to find under $300, these price points will drop rapidly by the time the TouchPad launches, IMHO.
    $400
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123