View Poll Results: What's the highest price at which you'd DEFINITELY buy a touchpad?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700+

7 3.63%
  • $650

2 1.04%
  • $600

20 10.36%
  • $550

16 8.29%
  • $500

54 27.98%
  • $450

12 6.22%
  • $400

36 18.65%
  • $350

17 8.81%
  • $300

24 12.44%
  • Nothing would make me buy it

5 2.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For me it's either a Tablet or a new Laptop. 499 Euro is a lot but fine with me. However, since I'm waiting till after my studies I won't be buying it before the End of September anyway. Hopefully I can grab one for sub 400 One can dream lol
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    The people who think it will be $300 are delusional... that's not possible for a piece of hardware like that.
    a piece of hardware like EEE pad is selling for $350. Tegra CPU, 1280x800, HDMI, two cameras, larger battery (apparently), SD slot.

HP is delusional if they think they can sell this thing like hot cakes for $500.
    You can also go out and get an acer desktop for less than 400.00 too I bet, but I'll still opt to buy another more expensive brand (or build my own)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    a piece of hardware like EEE pad is selling for $350. Tegra CPU, 1280x800, HDMI, two cameras, larger battery (apparently), SD slot.

HP is delusional if they think they can sell this thing like hot cakes for $500.
    That was my line of thinking.

$530 delivered for a 10” tablet with an attachable keyboard. 16 hrs of batt life (when combined.) Plus support for SD and Micro SD, with two USB host ports.

A lightweight netbook/laptop replacement with the ability to take the screen off and use the tablet by itself when you want.

The virtue of WebOS can only go so far in making up for hardware deficiencies. Not to mention that Android’s tablet OS is getting to look more and more like WebOS every release…

-Suntan
    I have $500 budgeted already for the TouchPad. I will not spend a penny more!

I think undercutting competitors by $50 would go a long way, though.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Need lower options. I am predicting that tablet prices will plummet. I expect the vast majority of new tablets will be available for around the $200 mark eventually.

And I still have no use for a tablet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Need lower options. I am predicting that tablet prices will plummet. I expect the vast majority of new tablets will be available for around the $200 mark eventually.

And I still have no use for a tablet.
    There are already quite a few in the $200 ballpark. Even a number of them in the $100-$200 region.

But you probably don’t have a need for those either…

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    There needs to be something between "$300" and "nothing would make me buy it".

Honestly whether I get it or not would depend on a lot of factors when it comes out. I could see a scenario in which I wouldn't have any available cash to spend on it. So I couldn't say DEFINITELY at any price.

I could also see a scenario in which I have extra cash and why not pick it up. So I couldn't say NOTHING would ever make me buy it.
    Depends on how things stack up by then. If I've already picked up a Transformer by then or if I'm still in the market for a primary tablet. $400 or less.
    i honestly can say that 350 would be very very nice as a price, will we see that? no. I look at it this way, and frankly its the only way to look at it for me, I am not just buying a TP, I am also buying a Palm pre 3. So my costs are not 500 bucks, my costs are almost double that. If I am lucky enough to get Bell to bring in the Pre 3, which I doubt, I have to buy an unlocked phone @ say 499 for a price. My pre minus is getting old quick, by the time HP gets both phone and TP to market here in Canada, the BB offering will have been on the shelves for about a month, I already know the price on those has and will drop more. Plus I can use any BB with the Playbook, all I need is the bridge app. No fancy touchstone things.
    The only thing i can add to this is the fact that up here in Canada it may be a while before the new products hit the streets, which may help in price point. Plus a bunch more are suppose to hit the streets at the same time or near the same time..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    $349 wifi only
    Agreed. I highly doubt HP will do this but I think $349 for wifi-only is the sweetspot. They'll sell millions at this price (again, wi-fi only version). At $400 and up, I don't see them competing with iPad/Asus Transformer (which sold out in minutes already) or Samsung.

And while those of us who know/love webOS see a huge difference in OS, most people I've talked to, don't think too much about that with tablets.
    I answered "nothing" perhaps because I read the question too literally. E.g. "At what price point would I be unable to walk away from it?" Which is a different question than, "What is a reasonable price for the touchpad?"

I think my answer is about $200. I simply would no be able to walk away if it were that inexpensive. Of course if it were $300, I'd probably still buy it, but it's not definate. I'd have to think about it.

At $500 - e.g. the same price as an iPad2 - I probably wouldn't buy it. I'd react about the same as I react to an iPad2, and the iPad before it: I'd probably just buy another cheap laptop for less. Which is exactly what I did last November when I was in the market. I chose a $350 laptop over an iPad. I'm pretty sure I'd make that same choice again.

My point is this: I answered the question differently than I see most people answering it here.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Voted SPARTA, but not because I think that that's how much it'll sell for, and not because I think that's how much it's worth.

The question is simply phrased weirdly, as some have already mentioned - and €300 is about the mark where I simply could not bring myself not to immediately rush and buy it.

€500 is a much more realistic starting price, and by the way also one I'm likely to pay if the hardware build quality gets as favorably reviewed as the Veer's has been.
    If it has Quicken and word Processing $500. If it doesn't, I have no need for a tablet. I'll stay with a laptop.
    Whatever the same-RAM iPad costs, plus $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    free. I still have no use to a tablet.
    I use a laptop for work now, but soon as I can get secure access to my VPN and some type of remote desktop software on webOS, my laptop is GONE! I can't wait to use my tablet for all my on the go needs.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    If it has Quicken and word Processing $500. If it doesn't, I have no need for a tablet. I'll stay with a laptop.
    This. I too need some type of word processing for me to feel like it will be a worthy purchase.
    I don't think I would buy one. Im pretty happy with the playbook I just bought. I have discovered how nice the size is and how powerful it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I use a laptop for work now, but soon as I can get secure access to my VPN and some type of remote desktop software on webOS, my laptop is GONE! I can't wait to use my tablet for all my on the go needs.
    The remote desktop software does change things for my ipad a bit. While I still wouldn't compose a doc or spreadsheet on a tablet or do much productive with it, it does serve enough purposes for under 500.

It's not the drop in price that would have me rushing to get a Touchpad. I'd have to wait and see on apps. Even at 200, if it has hardly any apps, then it's still a waste of 200 dollars.

Seeing what iOS 5 will have to offer is a consideration as well.
    I have 500 set aside for me. My wife wants to wait for the smaller tab.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast