Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I apologies if this has already been discussed. I was searching about this topic and couldn't find users input so I decided to make this thread.

I am very excited about the upcoming launch of the TP but am still very disappointed at the lack of no gesture area.

Some people may feel it's not needed or that you may accidently brush the area when holding the device. I wish that they would include a gesture area and have an "option" to disable it.

The main reason I have such a great user experience with webOS is; the up swipe of the launcher, using the wave bar within apps and full swipe to move through your cards in full screen.

What are your thoughts?
    I'm sure you can still use some gestures, but some things will change. That's about all I can say.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    Given the size of the device, don't see any reason they couldn't implement some kind of dynamic gesture area rather than fixing it to one spot.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, at least have an option to turn it on
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Yeah I will really miss the gestures. What really gets to me is that RIM did such a good job in implementing the gestures to their operating system, except they just suck in the "smoothness" category.

HP should have really tried to keep the gestures. That is what REALLY differentiated webOS. I will still love the unit, but I am saddened as you are.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Yeah I will really miss the gestures. What really gets to me is that RIM did such a good job in implementing the gestures to their operating system, except they just suck in the "smoothness" category.

HP should have really tried to keep the gestures. That is what REALLY differentiated webOS. I will still love the unit, but I am saddened as you are.
    Hopefully they will implement it on the 7" version. I played with the BB PB and it worked very nicely.
    What I'm saying is, I do not think gestures are going away. Some gestures are done up on the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post

Read my sig. Losing the gesture bar does not mean you lose all the gestures that make webOS great. I wish people would sit down and think about it, then they would realize the loss of the gesture area isn't as big a tragedy as everyone is making it out to be.

There have been far too many posts on the gesture area anyway.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I was considering not even getting the TP when i found out about the lack of gesture area and wave bar. Obviously the TP is still better than the other tablets so i will still get it... but i will miss my wave bar
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Read my sig. Losing the gesture bar does not mean you lose all the gestures that make webOS great. I wish people would sit down and think about it, then they would realize the loss of the gesture area isn't as big a tragedy as everyone is making it out to be.

but its nice to ALWAYS have the "back" button/gesture in the same place. Now it will be app dependent.
  11.    #11  

It is a tragedy for me. The gesture area is what makes using the OS so fluid and pleasing. The wave bar I use all the time and switching apps in full card view is what keeps my activities moving without having to push buttons.

I respect your opinion but the loss of a gesture area kills the user experience for me.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    but its nice to ALWAYS have the "back" button/gesture in the same place. Now it will be app dependent.
    Excellent point!! I have an iPad 2 right now and can't just go back a page. I have to rely on the application having this function and finding it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I respect your opinion but the loss of a gesture area kills the user experience for me.
    I find that hard to believe seeing how you haven't even used the thing yet...
    My suspect: gestures with two or more fingers! So, you can have gesture in portrait or landscape!

I bet my Treo 600 in this idea!! Who bet with me?

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 05/13/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    This has been way over-discussed, and I'll try to find one of those threads...

but, the important thing to know is that lack of gesture area doesn't mean lack of gestures. It just means they can allow gestures anywhere they want, instead of limiting it to a small area on the front bezel.

Let me repeat for clarity. Gestures are still part of webOS, even if a dedicated gesture area isn't included. It was necessary on a tiny phone screen. On a 10" tablet, they have lots of room to work with, and can also rotate it with the screen orientation.

I hope this helps everyone feel happy!
  16.    #17  
    I find that hard to believe seeing how you haven't even used the thing yet...
    Let me say "would" kill the user experience for me. I have an iPad2 and using gestures on screen can create a terrible finger print mess. I would prefer using gestures on a designated area “off screen”.

I am also fully aware this does not eliminate the use of gestures. I would just prefer to have an area off screen to swipe. No matter what screen size I am dealing with. iOS is still in the early stages of using multiple finger gestures on the screen to multitask. I have used xcode to allow me to use this feature. This just makes me want a separate gesture area even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Let me say "would" kill the user experience for me. I have an iPad2 and using gestures on screen can create a terrible finger print mess. I would prefer using gestures on a designated area “off screen”.

I am also fully aware this does not eliminate the use of gestures. I would just prefer to have an area off screen to swipe. No matter what screen size I am dealing with. iOS is still in the early stages of using multiple finger gestures on the screen to multitask. I have used xcode to allow me to use this feature. This just makes me want a separate gesture area even more.
    1. the TouchPad screen has some newfangled coating to reduce smudging.
    2. You still have to touch screen all the time. The gesture area only does "back" and "card view" commands. I believe the launch bar is always there so that just leaves "back". That may be associated with tapping the TTS area on the bezel.

You have to relax until you've had the chance to try it. I got to try it for a few moments at the launch event and it was no big deal at all. HP and Palm have been making touch interfaces for years, so you can bet this thing follows their legacy of being very usable. It's gonda be fine, really.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    main issue is how you hold a tablet. With a phone, gesture area makes sense. On a tablet, you don't hold it the same way. When holding a TP in landscape, you have easy access to press the button. So I don't see a big deal at all. Phones will still have it.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well, based on what im reading here, it seems HP was actually playing their cards close to their chest. It seems they will have some gestures after all. but i just hope its not just for old MOJO apps, and will also work for enyo designed apps. I know they stated gestures did not work with the avg user but i honestly cannot see how!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast