Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes I agree completely and also hope HP brings these gestures and interface forward for future apps. What's interesting is how important this is for the users and how unimportant it was for HP's R&D. I think HP should start talking to users and developers and begin asking the people who use webOS what we want. Simple enough, but then I'm only dreaming! Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    well, based on what im reading here, it seems HP was actually playing their cards close to their chest. It seems they will have some gestures after all. but i just hope its not just for old MOJO apps, and will also work for enyo designed apps. I know they stated gestures did not work with the avg user but i honestly cannot see how!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Excellent point!! I have an iPad 2 right now and can't just go back a page. I have to rely on the application having this function and finding it as well.
    Google "multitouch gestures" for the iPad on YouTube. They are very easy to enable and doesn't require jail breaking your iPad (ie, it's legal).

You do need to have a Mac, or a friend with a Mac to do it.

They will come standard with the iPad in the future but it's already incorporated now. Just needs to be visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Google "multitouch gestures" for the iPad on YouTube. They are very easy to enable and doesn't require jail breaking your iPad (ie, it's legal).
    You're implying that jailbreaking isn't legal or that it isn't desirable.
    I think gestures are still possible even without the gesture area at the side.

Think of a two or three finger swipe, or just imagine a gesture area a few pixel around the edges of the screen. How often do you tab at the far corners? I dare to say never. The software would be able to recognise if the finger entered the screen from the bezel or not. Consequently, all the gestures known from the phone would still be possible on the touchpad without sensors on the bezel, if HP wants them there.

However, the gesture bar of the PlayBook has caused some confusion when Apps change the orientation. I think this might be one of the reasons they left them out.

Nevertheless, I really do hope HP implements gestures. Maybe they opt to disable them from the beginning (like the advanced gestures to switch between Apps on the mobiles). Otherwise I hope our beloved community comes up with an implementation
    I just realized that the lack of gesture area is really going to make the toucpad a bit boring to use. I was using an iPad earlier and it sucked. Push the button to get out, push the button to go back, push the button to multitask, push the button to go to home screen, push the button to change icon placement....etc.

Im not even gonna be able to swipe up on the screen and have me go to card mode!!! :-(

At least I still get to throw them away I guess....
    HP ditched gesture area for some reason I guess. Maybe to preserve small frame around screen. Anyway, two or tree finger gestures are Apple's way of navigation now, so it will leave some bad taste in our mouths if HP introduce it on TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    just imagine a gesture area a few pixel around the edges of the screen. How often do you tab at the far corners?
    I do believe HP has mentioned looking into this option and I think it would be s great idea and fix. Common HP...make it happen and stand behind what makes webOS so different. Sorli...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

You do need to have a Mac, or a friend with a Mac to do it.

They will come standard with the iPad in the future but it's already incorporated now. Just needs to be visible.
    I have enabled this function. Downloaded Xcode for my Mac and synced with my iPad enables to show the multi gesture function. The YouTube video is what I am using. It's what apple will be using on future devices once they get rid of the button on the iPhone and iPad. It's nice but docent work well all apps. Once again I will miss the wave bar the most.
    I think this issue is terribly OVERSTATED. HP's new app framework is designed to make back buttons and back gestures obsolete. look at the feb9th presentation.

if you look at how we will navigate around Enyo apps you would quickly realize that their is never any need to "go back". in fact, its unclear exactly would the back gesture would actually do given the new way we will navigate apps ... as far as PDK apps are concerned, they rarely uses the back gesture consistently anyway because they 1: are usually ports from another OS and 2: force the user into different orientations.

i wont really miss the wave bar because it wasn't much of a time saver. i could just as quickly go into cardview, then quick launch my app of choice.

all that leaves are the advanced gestures. i admit i will miss quickly switching between open apps. Perhaps HP will come up with a decent solution. if not, its still not that big of a deal, because its really not that big a time saver...

the gesture area just isn't as useful on the tablet as it is on phones. Which IMHO explains why it was removed from that tablet, but will remain on phones.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/16/2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think this issue is terribly OVERSTATED. HP's new app framework is designed to make back buttons and back gestures obsolete. look at the presentation feb9th presentation.

if you look at how we will navigate around Enyo apps you would quickly realize that their is never any need to "go back". in fact, its unclear exactly would the back gesture would actually do given the new way we will navigate apps ... as far as PDK apps are concerned, they rarely uses the back gesture consistently anyway because they 1: are usually ports from another OS and 2: force the user into different orientations.

i wont really miss the wave bar because it wasn't much of a time saver. i could just as quickly go into cardview, then quick launch my app of choice.

all that leaves are the advanced gestures. i admit i will miss quickly switching between open apps. Perhaps HP will come up with a decent solution. if not, its still not that big of a deal, because its really not that big a time saver...
    I'd say it's all in the fun. Useful? Who cares? Is it fun to use? That's the real question. The wave bar for instance..not too useful, but fun.

The majority buy tablets because they're fun to use. Gestures add to it, not take away. HP's decision to take it away, makes it less fun. Not a great move..IMO, but maybe there will be a patch for that. The more cutesy animation HP can throw in the better.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12