Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I absolutely don't need (and really don't even want) a TouchPad. BUT...I could be tempted to buy one if it's bundled with a Pre 3 (or some other WebOS phone) at a really good price. This is the ONLY scenario where I could see myself even considering getting tablet.
    No, you're just cheap.

The HP Touchpad is as good, if not better than any iPad.

You want quality, you pay for it.
    I'm the same way. I have a netbook for portability when my pre doesn't quite cut it. I suppose that speaks to my love/need of a physical keyboard. I highly doubt that the touch pad will be able to use webos quick install, and many other programs that it would have to run for me to use it. To me, its just a novelty. Wouldn't turn down one for free though.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldReporter View Post
    No, you're just cheap.

How does not needing something equate to being cheap? There are many things that I have no need to purchase, but if given one I would find a use for and enjoy it.

I also don't know how plastic equals quality. When most other competing tablets are made of higher quality materials I wouldn't say the TouchPad comes across as a quality product. OS, of course, but that's only half the equation.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldReporter View Post
    No, you're just cheap.

Please explain yourself.

#1: If someone could be talked into buying something they don't want or need, how is that cheap? Wouldn't that actually be frivolity?

#2: Who said anything about the iPad? Could it be you're a closet Apple lover?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You don't really need a tablet but you like playing with webOS. That's fine but it won't sell very many TPs. When you say you buy one if bundled with a Pre 3 you mean like you would take one for $200 or less which is never going to happen. It would be better to say that you have no interest in buying a TP.
    I pretty much did say I have no interest in buying a TP (ok, well I actually said I don't need or want one). And I really don't know what the pricing would have to be to convince me. And I certainly didn't say anything about $200. It just seems like a logical offering to me. Both devices will be released relatively close to one another. They are designed to be used together. A bundle just makes sense. And if HPs goal is to get the TP and Pre 3 into as many hands as possible, they are one of the few companies in a position that they can offer a great bundle deal. Why not buy a TP and get a Pre 3 for free with 2 year contract?

And, no, none of this is a criticism of the TP. There just really isn't a tablet-shaped hole in my life right now.
    Tablet-shaped holes don't really show up until you use one for a day or two. We have an iPad at work that is used by various people for testing data mobility, and it was a nice thing to have for a couple of weeks. I didn't recognize the value until I had to give it to the next person. I can certainly get by without it, but it's a very handy thing to have, and helps to justify my 17" notebook preference.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    With the caveat that I haven't used one, so I don't know for sure, I have the same feelings as the OP. I use a Windows 7 Tablet PC regularly though (primarily for MS OneNote), so the Touchpad just won't give me any added value that I can see.

I do like the idea of being able to text or make calls from it though, so we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Tablet-shaped holes don't really show up until you use one for a day or two.
    I would agree with this.

I didnít think I would want a tablet form factor. I wanted a netbook with 8+ hr battery life, great viewing angles and no cooling fans to worry about when you want to just set it on your lap, etc.

Then, on a bit of an impulse I bought and used a Xoom for the better part of 2 weeks. The tablet form factor is usable in a lot of ways that even the slimmest of laptops is not. I ended up returning the Xoom for a number of reasons, but am waiting patently for the ASUS transformer to be delivered next week (already have the keyboard dock so I end up getting both of what I want.)

-Suntan
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Tablet-shaped holes don't really show up until you use one for a day or two. We have an iPad at work that is used by various people for testing data mobility, and it was a nice thing to have for a couple of weeks. I didn't recognize the value until I had to give it to the next person. I can certainly get by without it, but it's a very handy thing to have, and helps to justify my 17" notebook preference.
    I've used my brother's iPad quite a bit, and it's definitely neat to play with, but that was about it. I didn't come away from it feeling like "wow, I need something like this." It was totally different with a smartphone. The first time I played with a smartphone, I knew I HAD to get one and it was just a matter of waiting for the right one.

Free Pre 3 with TP purchase and 2 year contract and count me in.
    for now free Pre3 with TP purchase looks impossible, but if TP sales fails, than who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I've used my brother's iPad quite a bit, and it's definitely neat to play with, but that was about it. I didn't come away from it feeling like "wow, I need something like this."
    A lot depends on what you do with it. I was able to watch NetFlix and Hulu, hit my websites, check my work mail, log into work applications, access my desktop... All things I can do with my notebook, but my work notebook is about 6.5 pounds and my home notebook is close to ten pounds. It's a lot more convenient to use a tablet for those. (The notebooks win on taking notes in a meeting without others seeing, though, unless I put the tablet in my lap and then it just gets uncomfortable.)
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    We all dont need half the crap we buy.
    I am actually undecided. I rely on a netbook when at home. I'm not sure that a Touchpad would be an adequate replacement. I do find the Chromebook tempting.

I wonder if HP has something similar in the pipeline.
    touchpad is ideal for media consumption
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I do find the Chromebook tempting.
    It seems kinda expensive compared to netbooks that are more capable. The reviews I've seen don't mention what it can do w/o a network connection.

I wonder if HP has something similar in the pipeline.
    They're supposed to be loading webOS on all their PCs by next year. But I suppose they could also take a netbook chassis, put the TouchPad motherboard inside along with a nice big battery.
    I agree. The chromebooks are over priced. I feels as if they will drop in price drastically as every PC manufacturer on the planet starts utilizing the OS for inexpensive netbook alternatives. There will probably be as many chromebook options as there are Android phones before we know it.

I would like to see HP combine a physical keyboard with webOS on a chromebook type device.

I think Google is spot on with the Chromebook. We have three netbooks in my house. They were originally purchased as Christmas presents for the kids. They get used daily. The only program we ever utilize is the browser (Chrome) and of course anti-virus (Microsoft Essentials). Oh yeah, Ccleaner too.
    a co-worker purchased an ipad, he now regrets it big time. presently he is trying to sell the darn thing so he can get a playbook, as he owns a BB as well. the lack of flash, and a number of other things have caused him considerable angst. The biggest one is the issues our IT dept had in getting the darn thing on our servers for email and what not. not to mention a vpn. Playbook and it looks like TP will be much easier to utilize in a biz situation. I will wait until i can compare the two, staples has the playbook and is getting the tp.. so side by side i will be able to see which I am going to drop my money on.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Do I need a TouchPad? -- maybe, maybe not.
    Do I want a TouchPad? -- of course I do.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    My 3-year old daughter is fast learning to use my laptop, but gets frustrated easily using the touchpad and buttons, and wants instead to be manipulating the icons on the screen itself. I'm thinking, throw some children's educational/entertainment apps on a Touchpad and I have an excellent teaching device. Only downside to that, is when would I get to use it?
    NNJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast