Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My family has an original iPad and my son loves it! He is 5 and is a high-functioning autistic. He is very smart but has problems with his fine and gross motor skills - so a touchscreen allows him to play games and such without getting frustrated.

Between my son and wife using the iPad, I get very little time to use it. When I do use it, it is mostly for surfing the web while relaxing on the porch or on the couch. So when I get a Touchpad, it will be for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    My 3-year old daughter is fast learning to use my laptop, but gets frustrated easily using the touchpad and buttons, and wants instead to be manipulating the icons on the screen itself. I'm thinking, throw some children's educational/entertainment apps on a Touchpad and I have an excellent teaching device. Only downside to that, is when would I get to use it?
    Off topic from the discussion here, but my son (3 yrs old) has had a lot of success using a small wireless mouse (I got the Logitech M305) after attempts with an old, wired mouse proved frustrating (the USB cable kept getting in the way.)

I would suggest picking up the M305 and giving it a try. $20 or $30 at Target. It works well and is small to fit their hands. Now he can play all the PBSkids games by himself.

On topic, I found (in the two weeks I owned a Xoom before taking it back) that he had some trouble with getting his finger right where he wanted it on the touchscreen. Likely it would improve if he had used it more, but he had troubles with a game that we tried playing together.

-Suntan
    OP: Yes, I fit this description.

I'm not asking for a free Touchpad with a Pre 3 purchase, I understand that is ludicrous. But if it was a substantial deal, I'd be very tempted.
    After using touchscreen smart phones for so long, sometimes I touch icons on my notebook trying to activate program....
    Tablets are natural next step in computer evolution.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Tablet-shaped holes don't really show up until you use one for a day or two. We have an iPad at work that is used by various people for testing data mobility, and it was a nice thing to have for a couple of weeks. I didn't recognize the value until I had to give it to the next person. I can certainly get by without it, but it's a very handy thing to have, and helps to justify my 17" notebook preference.
    I totally agree with this. In fact, I quite loudly declared the iPad an 'iTurd,' when it was launched, and was very vocal about how stupid I thought the device was. I only bought one when I went back to school and decided to fully switch to e-Textbooks and wanted something other than my laptop to read them on. Ipad seemed the logical choice, so I got one.

Holy crow. I use it more than my laptop. I carry it into the kitchen instead of printing out a recipe. I read all my kindle books on it and my Kindle is just gathering dust. I take notes on it in class. It's a great addition to your gadget library if you are like me and like to consume a lot of content daily. I still sit down at a computer to write papers and such, but with apps like EverNote and Dropbox I can start my thoughts on the iPad and access them from any PC when I need to. My kids love it, too. I just ordered a second one, in fact--refurb. My husband wants a tablet for displaying tech manuals in color while he is working. So I'm ready for my second helping of crow as we will be a not one, but TWO 'iTurd' family. Wow, was I wrong.

I was going to get an iPad2, but instead went with another iPad and am going to wait to see how TouchPad gets out of the gate. I have moved on from my original Pre to my Samsung Galaxy and although I love it, I dearly miss WebOS and often remark that the iPad would be perfect if it were a WebOS device. If app development doesn't ramp up for WebOS, I will probably go with an Android tablet for our next one, but I'd really love to get back on WebOS, so I'm hoping HP doesn't disappoint.

ETA that the third tablet would be for me and I'd give one of the iPads to my 13 year old son. I think he'd get a lot more use and fun out of that than a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    The biggest one is the issues our IT dept had in getting the darn thing on our servers for email and what not. not to mention a vpn.
    That's one nice thing about using Microsoft's cloud services: no need for a VPN just so people in the field can check their email/calendar/task list on their laptops or smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    The biggest one is the issues our IT dept had in getting the darn thing on our servers for email and what not. not to mention a vpn.

Wow, it's surprising that an IT department would have a hard time with that. it's very well supported for VPNs.
    Quote Originally Posted by madgalaxy View Post
    My family has an original iPad and my son loves it! He is 5 and is a high-functioning autistic. He is very smart but has problems with his fine and gross motor skills - so a touchscreen allows him to play games and such without getting frustrated.

Between my son and wife using the iPad, I get very little time to use it. When I do use it, it is mostly for surfing the web while relaxing on the porch or on the couch. So when I get a Touchpad, it will be for me!
    My sister-in-law has a son who's autistic. His iPad keeps him occupied for hours a day. There are apps that allow him to do pattern-matching which have definitely been an asset to his development. However, he does have a tendency to put on music and turn the volume all the way up, which is irritating at 3am.

So my wife asked if I knew anything about programming iPads. I don't do objective-c, but I told her I could probably figure out how to disable the volume control.

Well, there is actually a way to deal with the volume control, but it's closed. Apple doesn't expose that api to outside programmers. They don't want you touching their system-level software.

Another reason to support webOS - have you ever read any threads on people struggling to "root" their Pres?
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldReporter View Post
    No, you're just cheap.

The HP Touchpad is as good, if not better than any iPad.

You want quality, you pay for it.
    and you know this because you've clearly played with one running a final build of webOS 3.0. The iPad is better than the touchpad and will probably be the better tablet for awhile. Come back and we'll talk when webOS has developer support and has people lining up in front of retail stores every morning to purchase one.

I love webOS, but lets be honest. The touchpad is great, but it's got some pretty legit competitors. However, if they discount the TP to a reasonable price point I would absolutely pick one up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12