1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    HP Labs head of research says the new Cheap Public Cloud will be ready in few months. Are they getting it ready for Touchpad ? Given that Touchpad has no SD expansion slot, this could be help the data hungry consumer.

Here is an excerpt from the interview

"When you come out with a public cloud effort you need to have some foundational things like storage as a service. The key technology there came out of our key-value storage technology at HP Labs. Thatís a scaleable, reliable, low-cost way of providing tremendous amounts of storage to our customers. That should come out within a few months."
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    People please note: this message talks about the Cloud's availability, NOT the Touchpad's availability.
    NNJ
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    People please note: this message talks about the Cloud's availability, NOT the Touchpad's availability.
    Yup,
    I should have put a "?". Its an assumption, but assuming that its part of the bigger strategy, its logical to have Touchpad access the cloud. The could and the Citrix might come in handy for enterprise customers.

Immediately following that there will be a compute-as-a-service play. And that is based on the Cirious platform work that is going on in our cloud and security lab. Itís a compute-as-a-service play that we call internally cells-as-a-service. These are virtual compute cells and memory cells and networking, sort of virutaulzations, which allows people to create these multitenanted applications that are incredibly secure so that thereís no way for one customer to impact the application of another customer on the cloud.You should see that in the hands of customers in the next six to eight months.
    With the possible exception of a service like OnLive, I can't imagine any good uses a consumer might have for a remote computation cloud. Enterprises, sure. But consumers?

As a consumer, I'm much more interested in a cloud storage solution tied into my computers on an OS level, where I simply go to my cloud drive and use files on it as if it was a local drive on my PC, or where I have my cloud data automatically displayed in a mobile app (webOS 3 will apparently be very close to this in how the Photos app handles your Facebook photos for example).
    honestly, I'm most interested in using my own computer as the cloud, thats my dream. Keep everything i need on my main computer and access it from anywhere.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    honestly, I'm most interested in using my own computer as the cloud, thats my dream. Keep everything i need on my main computer and access it from anywhere.
    I love this idea. The whole cloud thing is to make you dependent on them.
    I heard Microsoft is working on this. Future Windows phones will be able to access your desktop files.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hmm... on-board memory and hard drive backup is getting cheaper and cheaper while cellular data plans seem to be more and more capped and throttled. Where should I store my content in the future?
    wow, great point.
    I've said this several times in other threads like this one. UntidyGuy and dcbo89 are right, but why even put your computer through that. NAS' are getting cheaper and cheaper with more features included. I don't store anything on my PC at all, I use my NAS through Windows as if it's part of my computer. If I'm on the go I can access, upload, and download my files from anywhere that I have an internet connection. Why pay a company and limit yourself to GB's when you can have your own cload full of TB's... Honestly when you get down to it there is no comparison.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I've said this several times in other threads like this one. UntidyGuy and dcbo89 are right, but why even put your computer through that. NAS' are getting cheaper and cheaper with more features included. I don't store anything on my PC at all, I use my NAS through Windows as if it's part of my computer. If I'm on the go I can access, upload, and download my files from anywhere that I have an internet connection. Why pay a company and limit yourself to GB's when you can have your own cload full of TB's... Honestly when you get down to it there is no comparison.
    Agree,
    but you need your desktop/laptop to be running for accessing the NAS for more cases unless you hook it up to the router.
    The cloud as backup is useful if your storage at home is destroyed (fire/flood/angry ex-spouse/etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Agree,
    but you need your desktop/laptop to be running for accessing the NAS for more cases unless you hook it up to the router.
    Yea my NAS is hooked up to the router. Doing it this way allows me to connect to it using the internet when I'm on the go.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    In the meant time, Google released the Chrome laptop with cloud data storage. I hope Touchpad will give some free cloud storage to the customer.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    In a few months he'?......... yep, where have we in some iteration heard that before?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    With the possible exception of a service like OnLive, I can't imagine any good uses a consumer might have for a remote computation cloud. Enterprises, sure. But consumers?

As a consumer, I'm much more interested in a cloud storage solution tied into my computers on an OS level, where I simply go to my cloud drive and use files on it as if it was a local drive on my PC, or where I have my cloud data automatically displayed in a mobile app (webOS 3 will apparently be very close to this in how the Photos app handles your Facebook photos for example).
    I'm interested in both. I like the idea of off site backup. That is how I'm using Amazon Cloud Drive. An off site storage site for my files, documents, books, music, software, and etc. $50 per year for 50gb is a good price, thats less than $5 per month. I may even need to up it - I'm fine with that.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I'm interested in both. I like the idea of off site backup. That is how I'm using Amazon Cloud Drive. An off site storage site for my files, documents, books, music, software, and etc. $50 per year for 50gb is a good price, thats less than $5 per month. I may even need to up it - I'm fine with that.
    So its $ 5.00 a month for 50Gig. Can you share the data with folks who doesn't have an amazon id ?
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Opera has an app for that , basically a service off of you windows desktop
    Most downloaded applications in the last 7 days - Opera Unite applications

If only touchpad can get one like that,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    IIRC, Backblaze offers an online backup service for $50/year/machine, but without a space limitation. It won't backup NAS drives though.