Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I'm missing it, or it's not in my market, but where is HP's big push on the Touch Pad? It's only 1-2 months away, being optimistic here, and there seems to be a total lack of advertising push by HP for what may be the best tablet in the marketplace. I really don't understand their strategy. Consumers are not just going to buy because WebOS is cool. And there has been little advertising on WebOS either, but that is for a different thread. Come on HP, put some push behind your product. I think there is a lot of behind the scenes push with their business partners, but not much on TV, pre movies, or print aimed at the every day consumer. If I'm out of the channel here and missing it, please set me in the right direction!
    once a launch date is set, I'm sure the advertising will start. why advertise something that is not out, nor has a planned date to be out yet. Would be like holding an event in say February and not release anything for over 4 months. Just wouldn't make sense, would it?
    My guess is they will start to advertise once it is available - or at least they've announced a launch date. Patience!
    it's still a little premature to start a big campaign. I'm sure all the pieces are being put into place behind the scenes. there's no point on advertising yet when it hasn't been released.
    Never seen an apple ad for a product that wasn't *released* already. Maybe I "don't watch enough television."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Never seen an apple ad for a product that wasn't *released* already. Maybe I "don't watch enough television."
    No maybe I don't watch enough TV or go to enough movies, I just know cars are big time advertised quite a while before they are available on dealers lots. And HP needs to get the name out there, so people at least know it has a release coming. Sure HP is huge and everyone knows who they are, but do they know about the Touch Pad? I am impatient, no doubt about it, if I can't have one I want to hear about it.
    I don't see the point of HP advertising for ONE product months before it is released. In Feb after the event, HP ran several introduction spots highlighting the connectivity of their devices. I would be for something like that, but advertising for a product that isn't released makes no sense.

You'll have someone that walks in to Best Buy looking for it and then the salesperson will tell the potential customer that it isn't available. Well, you just disappointed a potential customer. That's not what you want for a product that hasn't been released.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    They just signed a spokesperson so it may be a bit for specific promos. They have had the promo for generally all their devices--what was it called, "Always On" or something like that.
    Wonder if we'll see the beginning of a webOS advertising push once the Veer is released.
    Maybe Leo is going to live up to his word, in a sense, and start advertising once it's only a week or two from being in stores.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    I don't even think they should start the huge push when the Veer comes. Sure, they should advertise it, but I can see a months-long advertising campaign expousing the benefits of webOS working better if it's started when TouchPad and Pre3 are launched, and maintained across fall, when the smaller TouchPad and the slab phone are released. Ideally they should establish a long-standing advertising presence. I see iPhone commercials every day. That's what HP should do, not give people any chance not to find out about webOS.

as it is (with the announced S,M,L devices) webOS' biggest problem isn't lack of good hardware, or software issues, but simply the fact that non-techie people have never heard of it. Once that changes, good things will happen.
    Main reason is that other than WebOS itself, this tablet is just like others out there with out the Pre3 as a companion.

I don't think it will be released until they can release the Pre3 at the same time or very close.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't even think they should start the huge push when the Veer comes. Sure, they should advertise it, but I can see a months-long advertising campaign expousing the benefits of webOS working better if it's started when TouchPad and Pre3 are launched, and maintained across fall, when the smaller TouchPad and the slab phone are released. Ideally they should establish a long-standing advertising presence. I see iPhone commercials every day. That's what HP should do, not give people any chance not to find out about webOS.

as it is (with the announced S,M,L devices) webOS' biggest problem isn't lack of good hardware, or software issues, but simply the fact that non-techie people have never heard of it. Once that changes, good things will happen.
    I think you're on the right track. WebOS is what needs advertised. Perhaps they can take turns with devices but webOS and a screen should be the stars.

What will actually happen is the Touchpad will get all the marketing. It probably should as it's their best consumer product for webOS IMO and will have 3.0 out of the gate. At the very least it will educate consumers about webOS which should help out smartphone sales, though the experience will be different having gesture areas on the phones.

Neither the Pre (targeted at business users) or the Veer will have 3.0 and who knows how long an update will take.
    "Is there a use case for someone wanting to make both purchases simultaneously? In your dreams, perhaps."

Yes: the person who wants the tablet around the house, but wants the smallest smartphone (that's connected to his/her smartphone) with a keyboard on the road, or, the office user who carries a tablet (that's connected to his/her smartphone) around the building, but, wants the smallest smartphone with a keyboard on the road.

And, I didn't "dream" that up!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm just trying to think if I know anyone who actually went out and bought a smartphone and a tablet at the same time. I think it would be pretty unusual. One can always dream, though.

What??? So bc you don't know anyone that bought a smartphone & pad, it is your opinion that such a combination is unusual? Hmmm....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    HP TouchPad and Veer advertising is at the Festival de Cannes.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    "Is there a use case for someone wanting to make both purchases simultaneously? In your dreams, perhaps."

Yes: the person who wants the tablet around the house, but wants the smallest smartphone (that's connected to his/her smartphone) with a keyboard on the road, or, the office user who carries a tablet (that's connected to his/her smartphone) around the building, but, wants the smallest smartphone with a keyboard on the road.

And, I didn't "dream" that up!

And I think the combo will be even more appealing come September if there is also a 7" option.
    They will begin advertising "in the coming months."

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Off the top of my head, they had countdown commercials for the Verizon iPhone 4 before it was released.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    IMO the best dollars would be spent getting the Veer in a nice display in stores and getting reps knowledgeable and incentivized to sell it.

Based on every review, the Veer is really only something you appreciate in person. The market isn't filled with people saying "man I need a tiny smartphone now!", but plenty of people buy mid-range, smaller, less powerful featurephones and dumbphones every day.

They are called BlackBerries. *ba-ZINGA*!!

Seriously though, people go into a store just wanting "a new phone" and play with what's there and pick something.
    - Sometimes they think they want a smartphone but say the iPhone is too big or they want a keyboard, at which point a rep NEEDS to be encouraged to say "Check out this Veer. It's tiny, almost as powerful as the iPhone, and has some better features like Just Type, Cards, and great notifications."
    - Sometimes they don't think they need a smartphone, they just want a nice, solid little phone. The Veer is an opportunity for a rep to upsell this person to a starter data plane with a cute, powerful smartphone.
    I can't stand that new commercial Apple is running. "If you don't have an iPhone, well you..." I always add in my $0.02 with "aren't an ***-****."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast