Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While checking the Palm website for anything new I discovered this footnote for Touch-to-share:
    Easily share a URL between your Pre3 and an HP TouchPad simply by tapping them together.1,8

8. Requires TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    I guess that means no (or limited) Touch-to-Share capabilities with another person's TouchPad.

Also, both Pre3 and TouchPad need to be on the same webOS account for the TouchPad to answer calls and text messages from Pre3.
    Receive text messages and answer phone calls on a TouchPad so you donít miss a thing.9,10,11

11. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.
    Link: HP Pre3 | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones
    what else would you want to share with?
    If it were possible to have both mine and my wife's phones link to one TouchPad, I would find that useful.

I'm not understanding why tablet manufacturers think the tablet is as personal as the phone.
    I'm hoping that our wonderful Homebrewers can whip something up for the Pre-. Touch to Share wouldn't be doable, but if the devices are otherwise communicating with bluetooth or wifi, it should be theoretically possible to kludge together notifications, texts and calling..
    i know how many people feel when it comes to promises from HP, but they did say the their will be TTS api available to developers. There's a decent chance that there will be a way to use it share with people who have a different profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    In a perfect future where webos rules, I'm checking out a website and you see it and want to check it out too. Since everyone now has a web OS device I just tap my device to yours. No need to slide out the keyboard and manually type or use voice controls. How about share a map? How about expanding the capability and sharing small YouTube video clips. I tap your phone, you get the URL and the video downloads on your phone in the background or something like that.

Edit: Then again, why get close. Why not just flick the card, URL, whatever to the other webos device.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/05/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Maybe there could be a security feature where you can allow TTS with another webos profile. I doubt it though.
    How about sending a 'business card' like back with beaming on the original Palm OS devices?

... Which of course wouldn't be helpful when nobody else has a webOS device, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How about sending a 'business card' like back with beaming on the original Palm OS devices?

... Which of course wouldn't be helpful when nobody else has a webOS device, but still.
    I would think they would do that by getting an app like BUMP on webOS. To me, sending a file to another device is very different than passing a phone call, or placeholder within a streaming video app. In terms of my limited ability to imagine cool uses for TTS, I see using resources such as screen and radio. Moving files around is more of a file sharing thing that wouldn't need to involve the Palm profile/account.

I am just thinking there is a distinct line between sharing things where the user profile is involved, vs simply pushing files around or syncing to cloud services.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    In a perfect future where webos rules, I'm checking out a website and you see it and want to check it out too. Since everyone now has a web OS device I just tap my device to yours. No need to slide out the keyboard and manually type or use voice controls. How about share a map? How about expanding the capability and sharing small YouTube video clips. I tap your phone, you get the URL and the video downloads on your phone in the background or something like that.

Edit: Then again, why get close. Why not just flick the card, URL, whatever to the other webos device.
    All of those are great and likely ideas. I just don't see where the user account (palm profile) plays a role in it. But that just means I haven't imagined it, not that it isn't so.
    How is this news? This was already a well known fact.
    it's not new or news.
    I would think they would do that by getting an app like BUMP on webOS. To me, sending a file to another device is very different than passing a phone call, or placeholder within a streaming video app. In terms of my limited ability to imagine cool uses for TTS, I see using resources such as screen and radio. Moving files around is more of a file sharing thing that wouldn't need to involve the Palm profile/account.

I am just thinking there is a distinct line between sharing things where the user profile is involved, vs simply pushing files around or syncing to cloud services.
    very true.

but i think there could be a place for allowing TTS across profiles.

what if i'm playing a video on my Pre3, and want to finish it on my friends touchpad? or what if we could use TTS to log our phones into a local game of scrabble that uses the touchpad as a game board.

the latter wouldnt "need" to use TTS in order to work, but it would be a nice touch.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/05/2011 at 07:12 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    How is this news? This was already a well known fact.
    I apologize for posting this up if it's already been known. I didn't know that for Touch-to-share to work both devices needed to be on the same palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I apologize for posting this up if it's already been known. I didn't know that for Touch-to-share to work both devices needed to be on the same palm profile.
    Nah, no need for apologies. It's just probably something you missed during the demos. It's all good.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Share a link off your friend's touchpad to your phone.

Wouldn't it be silly if you could only USB to share information between one of your computers, and your own mobile device?

I see Touch-to-share as a faster than USB or any cable connection, and as a viable source to share all information in the future. HP just isn't thinking big enough with this -- at least make it so any phone can share with any tablet, but wouldn't it be cooler and better for everyone in the long run if they opened touch-to-share to work with more devices than just webOS?

I hear a lot of reviewers of the Playbook liked how the tablet paired up with the phone, but didn't like that it had to be a blackberry phone. Won't HP get a similar response?

Just some food for thought.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Honestly? I think it would be great to be able to add devices of other people. Maybe it's for safety measures that it is not possible from the beginning. However, adding trusted phones would be a huge plus.
  18. ct1
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I want TTS between two phones -- Sort of like the old IR palm beaming...

I pop up a contact on my phone, bump my friend's phone, and it transfers it to him. The actual data goes from my phone through WiFi to the cloud, and back through WiFi to his phone, but the indication to trigger the transfer is the TTS.

Or a Web URL, or a reference to an APP in the APP store, or a note, or a song, or a picture, or any other 'chunk of data' an app cares to define as 'shareable'.
    Quote Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
    I want TTS between two phones -- Sort of like the old IR palm beaming...

I pop up a contact on my phone, bump my friend's phone, and it transfers it to him. The actual data goes from my phone through WiFi to the cloud, and back through WiFi to his phone, but the indication to trigger the transfer is the TTS.

Or a Web URL, or a reference to an APP in the APP store, or a note, or a song, or a picture, or any other 'chunk of data' an app cares to define as 'shareable'.
    I concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So for TTS to work as a feature, you have to own two newer webOS devices and have them both with you in your hands. That hardly sounds like a selling point. Imagine trying to tell enterprise customers that one of your main technical features requires that they deploy two devices to each employee and they need to carry both.
    It seems to be catching on in these forums at least.

Still, I'm not seeing the big deal here. App for That: How do you sync photos between iPhone and iPad? | TiPb This would let you sync pics across devices and can integrate with dropbox, flickr, etc.

Sharing a link by tapping? I'd rather have something like whispersync for kindle. Where your browsers are synced across multiple devices. Ideally this could apply for other apps if offered as an api. Play angry birds on a Pre, and pick up at same place on the Touchpad.

TTS and webOS on a PC are being mentioned a lot but i'm having a hard time seeing the point of either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast