Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So for TTS to work as a feature, you have to own two newer webOS devices and have them both with you in your hands. That hardly sounds like a selling point. Imagine trying to tell enterprise customers that one of your main technical features requires that they deploy two devices to each employee and they need to carry both.
    According to Rubinstein's Engadget interview it will also work with the Pre 2. While this excludes the Pre and the Pixi, it at least means it will work on more than half their devices. Even Apple, who is gaining traction in Enterprise limits certain features to newer devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So for TTS to work as a feature, you have to own two newer webOS devices and have them both with you in your hands. That hardly sounds like a selling point. Imagine trying to tell enterprise customers that one of your main technical features requires that they deploy two devices to each employee and they need to carry both.
    Because that already doesn't happen? Enterprise customers already have a cell device AND a laptop/tablet. How does this differ? It's newer technology so it's safe to say that it would require "two newer WebOS devices...."

The point of the TTS is that you DON'T need to carry both. If you're working with your Pre3 and you get home, you can now move your information over to your Touchpad IF you choose to do so. You can now answer texts/phone calls from your Touchpad IF you choose to do so. It's an option that is available. Not a necessity. It's also an option that can be sold at a later time should the business choose to purchase the 2nd device with minimal hassle for functionality (Pre3 or Touchpad). That is a selling point.

Example: The HTC Evo has an HDMI connection so that you can watch HD playback on a larger screen IF you choose to do so. It's an option that is available. Can you watch HD playback on your Evo screen? Absolutely. However, the option is there (with the required HDMI accessory) for your tv.

Take NASA for example. They've already signed a contract with HP. NASA already supplies Dell desktops/laptops and Blackberry's and/or iphones to its employees. Seems that it could have already been a selling point.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I am still hoping for multiple profile support. These great features will be almost useless for households with more than one webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    All of those are great and likely ideas. I just don't see where the user account (palm profile) plays a role in it. But that just means I haven't imagined it, not that it isn't so.
    I think you're missing the point. TTS in WebOS (e.g. transferring a web page you're looking at on your Pre3 to the touchpad) cannot happen between your Pre3 and your friend's Touchpad under these rules, since you have different profiles. That's pretty stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    According to Rubinstein's Engadget interview it will also work with the Pre 2. While this excludes the Pre and the Pixi, it at least means it will work on more than half their devices. Even Apple, who is gaining traction in Enterprise limits certain features to newer devices.
    I think you might be confusing WebOS 2.x and TTS. The Pre2 will/does have WebOS 2.0 (unlike the Pre, Pre+ and Pixi versions).

The Pre2 will not have TTS functionality as it lacks the proper hw (secondary inductive coil) which also rules out an OTA sw update that would allow it to do so.

TTS requirements:

5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Source:HP's website TTS: http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads...pad/index.html
    Last edited by Achill3s; 05/06/2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I think you might be confusing WebOS 2.x and TTS. The Pre2 will/does have WebOS 2.0 (unlike the Pre, Pre+ and Pixi versions).

The Pre2 will not have TTS functionality as it lacks the proper hw (secondary inductive coil) which also rules out an OTA sw update that would allow it to do so.

Source:HP's website TTS: TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer

5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    Maybe he was referring to the Text/Call forwarding. I still think HP might put a way to bypass the actual touching, similar to Exhibition mode being enabled without actually touching to to a Touchstone.

It's also entirely possible that for the first time ever, Rubinstein made a comment that is not true.
    Last edited by pavvento; 05/06/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
    I want TTS between two phones -- Sort of like the old IR palm beaming...

I pop up a contact on my phone, bump my friend's phone, and it transfers it to him. The actual data goes from my phone through WiFi to the cloud, and back through WiFi to his phone, but the indication to trigger the transfer is the TTS.

Or a Web URL, or a reference to an APP in the APP store, or a note, or a song, or a picture, or any other 'chunk of data' an app cares to define as 'shareable'.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I am still hoping for multiple profile support. These great features will be almost useless for households with more than one webOS phone.
    I think the best solution would be a means of quickly switching between profiles on the TouchPad. If the TouchPad just accepted multiple profiles, how would it know which information it should display? It would be annoying if you were trying to use the TouchPad while constantly being interrupted by another family member's text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97o View Post
    I think the best solution would be a means of quickly switching between profiles on the TouchPad. If the TouchPad just accepted multiple profiles, how would it know which information it should display? It would be annoying if you were trying to use the TouchPad while constantly being interrupted by another family member's text messages.
    Sorry, that's what I meant by multiple profile, except I didn't explain it well. It would be similar to a login screen on a computer. You tap your name, put in your password and voila, you are brought to your customized home screen with your email, facebook, apps, etc. all logged in and prepared for you. If your kid or your wife gets a call on their Pre 3 while you're logged in you are not interrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Nah, no need for apologies. It's just probably something you missed during the demos. It's all good.
    It was news to me..so no reason to feel bad about posting. Three is a lot about these new devices I don't know.
    One thing I glean from this, which I consider good news, is that I don't need a second phone/data account for the TP. I was curious about this and couldn't find an answer until I read through this forum. The TTS is a nice "option", but not a necessity. I just want the consistency of a Pre and a TP on the same webOS platform.
    I don't understand why you need a pre3 for the text/call forwarding features. I would assume that is just bluetooth. That should work with legacy devices. Am I missing something there?

I do understand the TTS needing the extra coil for the NFC-like comms.

I was hoping to have my pre+ w/2.1 paired with the TP for texting and phone calls.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12