Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm really quite surprised that we have had threads for the performance of the touchpad without seeing the final build but we have yet to see any threads concerned with just how much this weighs. Currently the touchpad is the heaviest tablet out there with the Feb 9th specs but in the world of the ipad2 I'm beginning to feel that its just too much. With portable devices designed for mobility weight is going to be a huge factor in product appeal.

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks theres a chance that HP has managed to slim down the design by the time launch comes around, or if any even thinks I'm wrong.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/03/2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo in title
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Yup, hopefully they're slimming it down a bit (or a lot!), I was just saying in another thread I just created that even the iPad 1 gets a bit heavy after holding it for a while!
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    i think its feels just right in the hands to be honest .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I found it to be a little heavy. Switching from portrait to landscape was a bit unnerving at times, and prolonged 1 handed use is out of the question IMO.
    what's all this complaining? Just carry around some rocks all the time and you'll toughen up quick enough...won't be complaining about the touchpad's weight anymore!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I complained about how heavy my Xoom was at first, but now I don't even notice it. when side-by-side with an ipad2 at a store, we decided it wasn't the .3 lbs difference but the balance - the Xoom is a brick side to side while the ipad2 seemed to be lighter at the thinner edges with the weight in the center. it just felt different.
    You must be really weak to find a 1.6 pounds product heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    No kidding Alvaro, these folks need a little more exercise in their lives if they are worried about the weight. Pre must feel like a lead weight in their pockets. Cmon folks do have to ***** and complain about every little thing. If an Ipad is better for you just go buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Quite an enlightening response... A product like the TouchPad is a convenience device. Using the TouchPad one handed gets heavy and decreases the convenience especially when compared with other similar devices.
    I use ipad 1 and one of the thing that I hate about ipad 1 is how heavy it gets after awhile. What is the weight of ipad 1 and touchpad? If touchpad is same or close to ipad 1 weight, it's too heavy.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I might need to workout more, but that is immaterial to my complaint about the weight of my Xoom (1.6 vs 1.3 for ipad 2 according to comparison charts)

It is a relative issue - it's a small device that is heavy for that size. I have a Kindle 3 and that's an example of a device that is the weight you expect when you look at it.
    I think TP definitely weights on the heavier side when compared to current crop of tablets. H/P just doesnot have the resources and cash of Apple or the Supply chain of Samsung to make them the best. I wish the battery on TP ran like 10 hours it does on IP-2. But alas it is smaller battery and doesnt last that long. Wish TP hardware was supplied by Samsung
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Quite an enlightening response... A product like the TouchPad is a convenience device. Using the TouchPad one handed gets heavy and decreases the convenience especially when compared with other similar devices.
    The book I am reading now weights easily more than 2 pounds and I have no problem carrying it, nor I have problems using an iPad with one hand, which has the same weight as the TouchPad. If you find heavy a tablet holding it with one hand then, as Mr. Jobs says, you're holding it wrong. Try supporting it on your forearm.
  15.    #15  
    everything is relative and at the moment the touchpad is easily the heaviest of the current tablets and compared the to the ipad2 it is quite heavy, this isnt about strength.
    i understand that the touchpad is heavier than the ipad 2 and comparable to the ipad 1in weight, but the ipad1 isn't what i'd consider too heavy.

i mean really, i've carried books around that weighed more...
    One thing that stood out in the below video is that one guy said that it weighed alot less than he was expecting when he first picked it up. *Good Sign*
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    wow - this thread is a total surprise. more negative on a product yet to come out.

We, as a society are really a negative bunch. Some much easier that way isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So why does the Touchpad weigh so much? is the battery larger? Is the glass of the screen thicker? Does plastic weight more than metal? It's not going to be the electronics.
    I have wondered the same thing. I believe the battery is actually smaller than the ipad 2's. Plastic is heavier than aluminum? glass is thicker? I guess we will just have to wait for the tear down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I have wondered the same thing. I believe the battery is actually smaller than the ipad 2's. Plastic is heavier than aluminum? glass is thicker? I guess we will just have to wait for the tear down.
    Having never touched a touchpad, I can only make assumptions. I assume it's a little heavier because of it's shape. Based on pictures, it looks to me that the Touchpad doesn't taper off at the edges the way the iPad does. The iPad gives you the illusion of being really thin because it tapers off quite a bit (unlike the iPad 2 which is flat). The touchpad does taper off a little, but it's thickness at the edges is closer to it's thickness at the center where HP logo is than the iPad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast