Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    The PlayBook has been slated by most reviewers, but I've been strangely tempted by it. I've had an iPad 1 since October 2010 and although I love the slickness of it, I've found in recent months that I only use the browser, email and iBooks/Kindle/various comic readers and e-magazine apps. The games are great but the novelty of most of them wears off quite soon. Recently I've been looking into 7" tablets as I think that's a sweet spot for reading, browsing and watching videos, without carrying around a hunk of a 10" tablet and straining your eyes on a smaller 3.x size phone screen. Now the PlayBook tempts me because it is SO similar to WebOS, has a great (fast) browser with Flash, which seems to work quite well, and hopefully a Kindle app. With the whole PIM, or lack of PIM fiasco, I don't personally use contacts and calender on my iPad anyway (all on my Pre+) so it wouldn't bother me.

Now if the rumours are true (which they most likely are, it's just a matter of time before they come out as an announcement) then there WILL be a 7" TouchPad. I think the 7" TouchPad will have a good chance at nabbing customers who want a little more screen real estate than their 3.x" phones but don't want to lug around full 10" tablets, which most companies are now releasing. Googling '7" tablets' currently on the market shows that current offerings are really quite weak. A 7" TP might have a good chance of dominating the mid-size tablet market. Samsung seem to have given up on the small tablet approach and done their usual bigger and thinner is better approach, Apple is unlikely to ever release a smaller iPad (S Jobs claims it would be pointless), the PB is already being disregarded as a serious entry and obviously devices like the Kindle and Nook are a completely different animal. Honeycomb seems to be headed for 10" tablets only (minus the HTC Flyer) and probably will be integrated with the Chrome OS for netbooks (but I don't think I'll ever go back to WinM- oops, I mean Android - after using WebOS for almost a year).

I for one would find the 7" TP to be the perfect accompanying device for my Pre+ (hopefully my future Pre3). The one handed usage is something that WebOS devices have always been strong at and a paperback book sized tablet running WebOS would be a beautifully useful and ergonomic experience imo. Hell, a 3G 7" TP might even tempt me to go for a Veer instead of upsizing to a Pre3! If they can get it to run as fast as the Veer, run Flash in the browser flawlessly and have a few good quality media apps (e-readers/comic/magazine apps) then I can see the 7" TP being the device that people who want an iPad but don't like how big it is would go for.

I was planning on getting an iPad 2 purely because it's thinner and lighter, less strain on my wrist (old injuries, sports ) due to the fact that I read a lot on it and hold it up to do so, but now I might just hold out for a 7" device and swallow the bitter pill that is losing all the iApps and iBooks I've wasted loads on. So hurry up HP and announce that 7" TP
    Nice impressions. I completely agree that a 7 inch tablet would be perfect for many people. As for your temptations with the Playbook, I don't think you should get one. Yes the OS is a rip off of WebOS but its a KIRFed version that is way to complex. All the reviews I've read say the hardware is awesome (minus the power button) but the OS is horrible. I really don't think the playbook with get much support from devs and other companies because it will fade off into the abyss. One video, if you haven't seen it already, that i think you would really enjoy watching is the below link that shows lots of first impressions of many people (including nerds like us, and the real word norms)

"Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Thanks, I've seen that video, I actually won HP's facebook competition and got tickets to go to the Gadget Show but I couldn't make the date that they gave me

I spent a couple of hours last night watching walkthroughs and comparison videos on YouTube for the PB and honestly, I think it looks quite good for what I'D use it for! I'd probably wait for the 3G version which is supposed to be coming soon, and there's supposed to be an OTA update adding native email. As for a lack of developer support, I'm a WebOS user, even Blackberries have more developer support

I think it's ironic that RIM have made quite a good use of gestures on their tablet yet HP have stripped the TP of one of WebOS' defining features. I guess it makes sense on a 7" screen as it allows menus and command buttons to be removed and gives more space to the app content. I've seen a lot PB bashing, even I used to do a bit of it until last night, I think the QNX implementation on the PB is actually quite good, the browser is just a fraction slower than the mighty iPad 2's browser, multitasking is great, the entire os is fast and smooth and most importantly, it's in a relatively thin case, at my preferred 7". Even if they did really knock off WebOS, they've done it quite well, in hardware that a year ago, Palm supporters wouldve been drooling over. If HP can release a thin, light and beautiful 3G 7" WebOS tablet anytime soon, I'm sold!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Hopefully. Another point that occurred to me is the price. The Playbook 16gb starts at $499, the same as the 16gb 9.7" iPad 2. That's strikes me as strange, logic would dictate that a smaller device would be cheaper... HP will be most likely pricing the 16gb TP at $499 (399 if we're lucky), so that forces them to price their future 7" device as cheaper, because there's no way they could price their 7" device the same as their 9.7" device, which is great news for us, and it will undercut the PB too. So what we're looking at is a 7" WebOS tablet which should be way cheaper than $499, woot!!
    I have an iPad 2 already. I agree the 10" screen is quite large for casual reading etc. It is great for games etc though.

I have a PlayBook on the way too. I'm hoping the 7" form factor is nice enough for HP to take a look at it and release a 7" version too.

One thing that has spoiled me with the iPad 2 though is the slimness. Samsung has the right idea with the new versions of their tablets…
    Quote Originally Posted by XiXora View Post
    One thing that has spoiled me with the iPad 2 though is the slimness. Samsung has the right idea with the new versions of their tablets…
    I thought that too, but I saw a review some days ago, where the reviewer has a Touchpad and an iPad2 in his hands, compares their hardware and says, that the Touchpad feels more solid in his hands.
    He says, that the iPad2 (which he owns) feels too slim or the edges not round enough.

He prefers the Touchpads hardware just BECAUSE it is thicker.
    btw. he didn't recognize a big difference in weight (he said they wheigh nearly the same)

Will have to try for myself...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XiXora View Post
    I have a PlayBook on the way too. I'm hoping the 7" form factor is nice enough for HP to take a look at it and release a 7" version too.
    I'll be interested to hear about your thoughts on how the 2 devices compare, seeing as I'm considering an iPad 2 or a PB or a 7" TP (subject to announcement). I find that to type on the iPad in landscape, you need something to rest the device on, and changing your position just to accommodate the device strikes me as just wrong! If you're planning on reading on your PB I'd love your feedback on current reading apps and snook compatibility, and web browsing/email comparisons
    Ah, the "Opal". HP is really keeping things under lock and key. In addition to pre3, veer, and touchpad, Jon himself said there were several devices to be released by the end of this year.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Wonder when and how many more will be announced this year.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I thought that too, but I saw a review some days ago, where the reviewer has a Touchpad and an iPad2 in his hands, compares their hardware and says, that the Touchpad feels more solid in his hands.
    He says, that the iPad2 (which he owns) feels too slim or the edges not round enough.

btw. he didn't recognize a big difference in weight (he said they wheigh nearly the same)

Where is this review you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    I think it's ironic that RIM have made quite a good use of gestures on their tablet yet HP have stripped the TP of one of WebOS' defining features.
    I personally think that the reason why WebOS on the TouchPad does have a gesture area is because it was a previous developing HP product that they converted to the TouchPad. I could easily see the next generation of TouchPads having a gesture area (and maybe more advanced useful ones too like scrolling)
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

Very understandable. I think that the iPad may have a little bit of sower taste left from the technological digression of the new nano (you know, the one that has a tinny screen and can't watch videos). When I picked up the iPad at the apple store this did cross my mind as I could tell that it being so thin was taking away of some of the grip.
    - John Wayne