Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In all of the videos showcasing "hands-on" time with the TouchPad, I've noticed that the HP representatives have made it clear that no pictures would be taken of the TouchPad back. Any idea why they (HP) would be so protective of the Touchpad's rear cover?
    That's ... odd. Maybe the back on the showcased TouchPads is not final design?
    The prototypes had translucent backs and you could see the imps sitting inside and doing their work. This is a problem because those are union imps and their contracts demand a certain level of privacy.

End-user Touchpads will have opaque backs and the imps can work in peace.
    I thought union imps were called gremlins? Keeping up on the politically correct nomenclature of mythical creatures is exhausting.
    I know, man... just last week I very nearly used the O-word while talking to a person of green heritage. He had his axe with him, too. Close call.

<edit> getting back on topic: has anyone seen the displayed TouchPads' backs? I mean, were people allowed to hold the devices and turn them around when no cameras were close by or were they strictly forbidden to do anything but touch the screens?
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 05/01/2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I know, man... just last week I very nearly used the O-word while talking to a person of green heritage. He had his axe with him, too. Close call.

<edit> getting back on topic: has anyone seen the displayed TouchPads' backs? I mean, were people allowed to hold the devices and turn them around when no cameras were close by or were they strictly forbidden to do anything but touch the screens?
    I've seen the back in person, nothing special. I think all the demo units had internal codes on the back that HP didn't want seen.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    and hopefully they will make it unplasticy and get a nice aluminum thing on it. but since they already announced the weight im just dreamin' =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Yeah, let's make all devices out of glass that will shatter and metal that will dent instead of more flexible and elastic plastic.

I want to be forced to get a new device or carry my old one to a costly repair shop every time I drop it. Why wouldn't I?
    I wonder why they didn't make it like the back of the pre 3.
    I would have preferred aluminum or matte, the plastic makes it feel cheap while still being heavy, which is quite an accomplishment.
    we saw the back at the feb 9th event. It had an HP logo n the center and nothing else. Based on the leake documents that precentral published that week, I think the graphics on the back aren't finalized, so they wouldn't want it photographed.

nothing special back there.
    On one of the PalmCasts, they said the back is glossy and a major fingerprint magnet. Hope they change it to a matte finish.
    i don't think they will make it with aluminum, mostly for the touchstone charging. medal would interfere with the connection point they need. thus, that's why plastic has been the preferred choice
    The reason is because the back is covered with fingerprints.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    any companys finicky with their prototype being photographed. They have many reasons. Alot to do with nonfinalized designs going public.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    any companys finicky with their prototype being photographed. They have many reasons. Alot to do with nonfinalized designs going public.
    they're worried the photos will steal the device's soul.
    first off, it will not have a metal back - touchstone issues, this has been stated before

second, it is quite possible the reason they havent been allowing photos of the back is that the design simply isnt finalized. I for one am hoping for a back much more akin to the keyboard that just went through the fcc or the touchstone back of the pre.
    +1 for a Pre+ style back

No finger prints, no scratching, easy to grip and we already know it works with the touchstone technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    they're worried the photos will steal the device's soul.
    oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I think a nice matte finish like on my touchstone back of my pre+ would be good.

They actually show the back in this video from Precentral.net on youtube.
    But hopefully it's not the final back cover.I would like it to have the matt back cover instead of that plastic cover.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast