Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was sitting in a meeting today... You know those meetings you get dragged into where nothing on the agenda concerns you... It was one of those

Someone had some document up on the projector and I was in my own little world. An Outlook email notification popped in the lower right corner of the projection. I didn't actually look at it until it was fading away.... WAIT!! It said something about the TouchPad!! I think it was from HP, but it was gone before I could catch any more details.

I should have asked the individual who received the email, but I didn't know the person at all. I jumped on P|C hoping someone had gotten the same email. Well? Anyone?
    They did sent out emails laying out the specs to business owners and that they'd be available in the summer. Nothing else really.
  3.    #3  
    Ah thanks... Too bad it wasn't more exciting
    I got an email as well.

"And so it begins!"

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

yes, I got an email this morning from HP WebOS Newsletters, with the subject of "It's different on TouchPad".

It's just an ad for the TouchPad.
    I didn't receive any news letter concerning the HP TouchPad
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    yes, I got an email this morning from HP WebOS Newsletters, with the subject of "It's different on TouchPad".

It's just an ad for the TouchPad.
    "It's different on TouchPad" - I like that. When everyone says "my iPad/Androidpad can do X, Y, and Z, why do I want a TouchPad", the answer is that it's just different on a TouchPad.

I can already envision a bunch of short, impactful ads:
    • Show handling a notification in iOS...handling 10 on a TouchPad.
    • Following a couple web links from iOS Twitter (open safari, view page, go back to twitter, follow next link, etc.)...tapping and stacking couple pages in webOS
    • Searching Wikipedia in iOS (apps->safari->wikipedia->search->load)...searching with JustType (search, load).
    • iPad plugged into a charger showing nothing...TouchPad on a TouchStone showing Exhibition weather and news
    • Emailing a link from an Atrix to a Xoom (wait, open email, tap link)...Touch-to-share-ing from a Pre3 to a TouchPad.
    ahitz,

My mother got an Ipad2 last week. I haven't played with it much since she got it, but from what I did see it does have a feature very similar to JustType for searching the device including google and wiki options.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreese View Post
    ahitz,

My mother got an Ipad2 last week. I haven't played with it much since she got it, but from what I did see it does have a feature very similar to JustType for searching the device including google and wiki options.
    You're right, Spotlight will do google, wikipedia search. Perhaps a Quick Action example would be better, or showing how you can customize the search options to whatever you want. Still, to use Spotlight you have to leave your app, go to spotlight, search, and then double-tap to go to recent apps to go back to what you were in. Not a huge difference, but it doesn't flow as nicely. (although it flows even better with a gesture area )
  10. JKM
    I also got an e-mail from HP.
    Too late perhaps - 2 weeks ago I bought an iPad 2.

I think the arguments for the TouchPad are not convincing.
    Take Multitasking: HP says: "..and lets you return to an open app just the way you left it."
    Well, that's also how it is on the iPad. Most users will not notice any difference
    between multitasking on the iPad and TP.

What surprises me is that the TP, according to the newsletter " Supports a beta of Adobe Flash Player 10.1".
    Shouldn't there be a final version by now? They have been talking about a Flash Player beta for a year now, haven't they?

I am glad I got the iPad 2. No more waiting, and hoping, and wondering...
    I got an e-mail too! I was excited before opening the e-mail but then realized it was just and ad . . . still says coming this summer.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I got it too. Seems like odd timing, but hopefully it's to pique a bit of webOS interest right before launching the Veer. Or the start of some big rolling marketing thunder!

JKM is right about the sales points in the email, they could use some improvement.
    ditto. i was also excited to see the email, but disappointed when opening it because there wasn't anything new that i hadn't seen before.
    I didn't sign up for spam, only notification that it is available. Thanks HP.
    I don't need another teasemail, I want the real thing
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I got an email yesterday. I'm thinking it's the beginning of getting people excited about TP and that a release date announcement is right around the corner.

I think it's a very positive sign.
    I don't need one, but I plan to check out the TouchPad. It's one of the reasons I'm still considering whatever the new Pre will be.

I'm leaning strongly toward returning to VZW so I guess I'll check out the IPad specs and what it can do while I wait on the TP. I wasn't considering these newfangled devices, because I like light weight laptops. A friend told me that you can actually use Quicken and a few other programs. If that's true, it's worth considering for the low cost. Light weight laptops, 3 lbs or less, run for about $1500. I could have a regular laptop and this device and still may come out cheaper. Plus this would be the device I carry if I can do my everyday computing and not just use it for fluff stuff.
    Okay, I just did a search and there is no Quicken app for the iPad. I'm hoping the TP will have one. It isn't worthwhile to buy a $500 device just for entertainment.
    Got the same email a few weeks ago now and replied to the HP rep who had been assigned to me asking for more info..mainly release date. No surprises in that they couldn't provide any additional information. HP have taken over the mantle from Palm in being too late on releases.

Once bitten.......
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Got the same email a few weeks ago now and replied to the HP rep who had been assigned to me asking for more info..mainly release date. No surprises in that they couldn't provide any additional information. HP have taken over the mantle from Palm in being too late on releases.

Once bitten.......
    Too late on releases? They said Summer. Perhaps I am wrong, but I do not believe it is currently Summer anywhere on this planet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast