Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Although the original demo in February featured pre-production hardware and software, WebOS 3.0 appeared to be really sluggish in most of the hands-on demo videos. Did HP acknowledge this, and did they confirm that they are working on optimizations to fix this? Has anyone here worked with newer builds, and is it running snappier now?

I noticed the Veer and Pre 3 looked very snappy in all the demos.
    the newer videos seem to show it is faster: something below from the gadget show but I believe you can find newer ones:

I'm almost 100 percent sure the webos 3.0 you see in these videos is unoptomized and unfinished versions of the OS. I would wait until review units are demoed and they are released to make any judgements.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Performance issues? Really? Should we at least wait until the first one is released to start rating performance? LOL
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/26/2011 at 06:37 PM.
    you must admit it was sluggish performance and it's fair to judge because it was official demonstration.
    Yep... but they did say to us during the demo's (and before) that the software was not optimized yet and said it would be a lot smoother and responsive for the actual release.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The competition is available, now, though, so potential buyers can either buy now or wait to see what a Touchpad looks like. Otherwise, nobody would be able to pull the trigger on a tablet purchase until every tablet (and hardware update) could be tested side-by-side.
    Exactly why I'm waiting; plus, I need to find a "reason" to buy one...
    The competition is available, now, though, so potential buyers can either buy now or wait to see what a Touchpad looks like. Otherwise, nobody would be able to pull the trigger on a tablet purchase until every tablet (and hardware update) could be tested side-by-side.
    That can be said about any product (computer, car, toaster) on the market. A tough shopper doesn't compare products to purchase until they are both side by side (per se) and available. If I want to buy something, I make the choices between what's available, or if a product I like hasn't been released, I wait for it to hit the streets before I make the fair comparisons. After 20 years selling electronics, I guess it's an old habit.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/27/2011 at 07:12 PM.
    maybe the hardware accelaration isn't finished yet for the touchpad processor, hence the difference between the phones and the Pad (it simply doesnt make sense that the touchpad would be slower if the hardware is faster
    Last edited by abegee; 04/27/2011 at 07:16 PM.
    I think it's been stated that hardware acceleration is not present in post webOS 2.1. However, I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I think it's been stated that hardware acceleration is not present in post webOS 2.1. However, I could be wrong.
    i thought they said enyo is entirely HW accelerated!!

see here

http://www.precentral.net/hp-release...ess-developers
    By not present I mean not enabled.
    yep. there will always be another device on the way. You gotta buy based on what you know now, not what may or may not materialize in the future.
    Just look at the latest video from the Fortune Mag interview with Apotheker (various videos spread throughout):

Even then, it looks a ton faster, and extremely smooth - the release version will likely be very fast, based on the improvement patterns seen from then up until now.

Or, look at this video from the recent Gadet 2011 show:

Last edited by LCGuy; 04/27/2011 at 07:52 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

and here is another REALLY good video of the Touchpad that shows performance increases.

and this is still probably being optimized.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobaers View Post
    Although the original demo in February featured pre-production hardware and software, WebOS 3.0 appeared to be really sluggish in most of the hands-on demo videos. Did HP acknowledge this, and did they confirm that they are working on optimizations to fix this? Has anyone here worked with newer builds, and is it running snappier now?

I noticed the Veer and Pre 3 looked very snappy in all the demos.
    I've never seen Beta or Pre-Beta software that people did not complain about performance.

Consider that the software is running with lots of debugging/logging turned on. Once the code is finalized, you'll see great performance out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    and here is another REALLY good video of the Touchpad that shows performance increases.

and this is still probably being optimized.
    This ^^. The TPad is flying now compared to when we first saw it and they still have at least 6 weeks to go.
    Ya i was getting negative but the TP looked badass! The presenter was significantly better than the guys/girls at the Feb 9th event. They definitely have a shot and made the right decision burning everything to the ground! Here is to hoping the hardware is solid.

Was this video on the front page? If not that is a fail. They should have done side by side speed comparisons.
    I figure the hardware will be just fine. After all, pretty much every tablet out there yet seems to have nice enough hardware. The problem has almost always been the OS's running on top of them.
    The software looks like it is coming along fine, can't wait for the release of the TouchPad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast