1.    #1  
    Hello folks,

some people working in the field of sales/IT and know Cisco are (still!) waiting for the so called business tablet from Cisco.
    It has been announces long time ago (like Palm and HP do it every time) and the Cisco Cius is still not ready to buy.

Cisco Cius:
    Cisco Cius - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

I would like to see HP entering the corporate market and position the HP Touchpad as an alternative to Cisco's very expensive Cius.

So what should the do:

- Corporate Email: Are there any tablets or phones supporting Email encryption and signing with S/MIME?
    - support for VMware View, so you can access your virtual desktop via terradicis performant PC-over-IP-protocol.
    - make the Touchpad a Zero client. The Cius can be used as a replacement for your desktop, because it can act as a true zero client when used with its docking station. HP wake up - you can do it! Deliver!

Because of Desktop Virtualization the IT-Infrastructure (on the client side) is changing, think of actual phones that have a builtin zero client, so the phone becomes your Hub to enter your work environment.

Question:
    What do you think should be included in the Touchpad to make it ready for business?

My wish: Touchpad with included Wacom-Digitizer, so it can be used a true replacement for ... paper!

- Phil
    A video out or better equivalent for presentations. Just doesn't make any sense that this wasn't included in the first generation Touchpad.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I agree. I think the TouchPad hardware is what they had already designed for the HP android tablet that was scratched when they bought Palm. So as late as we all think the TP is... I believe that it was already in process and they intended to save time by adapting it for webOS (and that's really why it doesn't have a gesture bar, btw).

That said, the fact that it hasn't shipped yet means that webOS 3.0 is really late, or the first webOS tablet would have taken until 2012. Neither option makes Palm look very good in terms of moving quickly.

That said, the TP hardware would have been cutting edge if it had arrived last year as originally intended - but it would have been running Android. I think you will see future TouchPads (and phones) being influenced by HP more than what we know about the stuff that was already in process on both sides when the acquisition happened. That makes me happier about the TP not having a video port because I think they will have it on the next one.

Of course, I'm REALLY hoping that instead they come up with a wireless solution, or a way to leverage the magnetic USB connector on the Veer.

Either one of those would allow them to do video over USB (or wireless USB) which is something all of the players have been working on (including Apple). I can't believe HP doesn't think video out is important. I'd rather believe that they couldn't do it with the TP without scrapping the TP they have already announced, or that they have a wireless trick up their sleeves...

Palm, are you listening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree. I think the TouchPad hardware is what they had already designed for the HP android tablet that was scratched when they bought Palm. So as late as we all think the TP is... I believe that it was already in process and they intended to save time by adapting it for webOS (and that's really why it doesn't have a gesture bar, btw).
    Never thought of that being the reason why there is no gesture area. Nice
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    The 2nd tablet from HP is due around September and they may have added a video out solution for that device.
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts
    Virtualization, like Citrix, so far is the only reason why would I ever consider buying a tablet. That is the only aspect of productivity I can see so far. Other than that its just a media consuption portable device with a big screen. Sure its an organization and communication tool as well but so is your phone so there is no advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Virtualization, like Citrix, so far is the only reason why would I ever consider buying a tablet. That is the only aspect of productivity I can see so far. Other than that its just a media consuption portable device with a big screen. Sure its an organization and communication tool as well but so is your phone so there is no advantage.
    virtuization is fantastic, but I think the main advantage for me would be giving my phone a break! The best cell phones are only decent as media consumption devices and none of them can last a day if moderate-heavy use.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    HP is huge in the corp market and frankly that is what they concentrate on with the TP and Pre3 as well as following devices. Retail consumers are an afterthought by now......... As much as I'd like to stay in the eco system I don't know if that is really the right.. oh crap..

oops, sorry guys, gotta run to the store for chewing gum and ductape to keep my Pre Minus together...;-)
    Going Corporate and your notions need to be moved to the front page of Precentral.

I agree with much of what you said and think HP is moving in this direction. No HDMI out makes no since when everyone else will/is doing it and all are competing for the limited corporate space.

RIM at least remembered USB and HDMI outputs on their playbook and the Gesture Area (HP...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!). The Playbook is a huge waste of time size wise and battery life wise when compared to everything else and I'm better off with a Nook Color at half the price.

HP needs to step up its hardware efforts or at least make their Dock both Touchstone and HDMI capable so it doesn't get left out in the Corporate arena. Software is also key, Encryption (Truecrypt, Server Management, etc), Cisco, Windows (Remote Management, complete Exchange support, Profile Management), and PIMs that work out of the box (unlike RIM...idiots). Sorli...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I am in the process of starting my own business and I would love a tablet that would let me streamline my workflow, collaborate with my two coworkers, and digitize all of our forms. Ideally, we would need a device that had some kind of office suite that plays nice with Microsoft Office since all of our documents and inventory tracking are done with word, excel or access. It would also be nice if it had a back facing camera. I would like to be able to do our own in house QR coding of inventory so we don't have to pay for some proprietary solution, and then have it integrate into our inventory data. Also, pen input would be great so we could fill out forms and then sign and date them when completed.

While the option to lock down the system is kind of necessary in a large scale deployment situation, I feel that many small businesses would like the customization available to suit their own niche needs. Some kind of back end security that could be enabled would be nice so that it could be locked down by the IT department of a large corporation but unlocked if that type of atmosphere is not required.

The needs of my (very, very) small company will definitely not be the same as a large corporation but I feel that neglecting small businesses in the name of larger ones would shut out an important part of the market.
    They might do this with the opal.I thought the TP was Rubies baby?! Not HP's. Ruby hinted at something like the TP before.As far as not having HDMI out.I don't think that's a really big deal as of yet because most people with it on their phones don't use it asmuch or don't know what it is.But I think the next To will def have it,hey maybe this one will.I believe they are focusing on consumer and interprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If HP wants to attract enterprise IT departments to webOS, one would think they would want to lock down the OS more and discourage patching of the OS by the end user.
    A lot of people have mentioned this as a trade-off with corporate users (homebrew v. enterprise). Couldn't this all be solved simply with customizable passwords to enable developer mode? 1 generic konami code for the personal user, but if you want on your companies email system (or access to databases, etc.) they can install a custom konami code to prevent you from modifying your device in an unsecured way.

(usual caveat: I'm not a developer so I tend to oversimplify things.)
  13.    #13  
    @Courousant:
    Great idea about how to protect corporate devices. This would leave the decision to the coporate IT departments, would like to see that.

Still my wishlist for the corporate tablet:
    - touch and pen input
    - embedded VMware View client
    - eventually cross-platform video-calling, aehm.. didn't Steve said: Facetime will be open for all, where is it today?

I like the idea of the Motioncomputing Tablet CL900:
    LINK CL900 Tablet PC - Rugged Small Form Factor Tablet
    - display supports both "Touch" and "Pen" input
    - 10.1” screen featuring HD 1366 X 768 resolution
    - Corning® Gorilla® Glass
    - Rugged Tested MIL-STD-810G and IP52
    - Up to a full day of battery life / 8 hours
    - Atom™ Z670 (1.5 Ghz) processor
    - SSD with 30GB or 62GB
    - On-board connectivity: USB, SD Slot, Audio In/Out, Video Out
    - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and optional WWAN
    - Gobi™ connectivity with GPS
    - Rear facing 3.0 MP documentation camera
    - Front facing 1.3 MP web camera
    - Docking Station with 3 USB ports and Ethernet connectivity

No I don't work for motioncomputing...
    something between this and the HP Touchpad would make me smile and reach to my creditcard.

Go HP!

Edit: Note to HP: don't forget to add something like Bluebeams PDF Revu for WebOS