webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Ipad vs Touch Pad
Ipad vs Touch Pad

Old 04/17/2011, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Hound

Hi all,

Since much of what has been discussed about the Ipad was of no interest to me, since I never so much as saw one in person or want one. However, I thought it would be useful for us to discuss the differences of the various Ipad models and what we know of about the TouchPad.

There has been a great deal of info about the TouchPad that has already been leaked and at least some of it has been confirmed by Precentral.

Thanks as always,

Jay
Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
ilovedessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

>>Hard facts first<<
TouchPad vs. iPad info:

Dimensions:
TouchPad-
Width: 240mm (9.45 inches)
Height: 190mm (7.48 inches)
Thickness: 13.7mm (0.54 inches)
Weight: 740 grams (1.6 pounds)
iPad 2-
Width: 241.2 mm (9.50 inches)
Height: 185.7 mm (7.31 inches)
Thickness: 8.8 mm (0.34 inch)
Weight: 601 grams (1.33 pounds)

Display:
TouchPad-9.7 inch, IPS screen, gorilla glass, 1024x768 resolution Screen
iPad 2- 9.7 inch, 1024x768 resolution Screen

Processor:
TouchPad- 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 2nd generation
iPad 2- 1GHz dual-core Apple A5

Battery:
TouchPad- 6300 mAh lithium-polymer battery
iPad 2- 6930 mAh lithium-polymer battery

Camera:
TouchPad- 1.3 mp front cam
iPad 2- VGA front cam, undisclosed density of back cam

Virtual Keyboard:
TouchPad- 4 different layouts for adjustment to user's hands
-full 5 row keyboard (number row on top)
- External bluetooth or dock keyboard available
iPad 2- single sized keyboard with many enhancements
- External bluetooth or dock keyboard available

Speakers:
TouchPad- Beats Audio Stereo Speakers
iPad 2- mono speaker built in

Last edited by Rennat; 04/17/2011 at 09:49 PM.
Rennat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thought it might be a good idea for the hard facts first in the above post

What I see in the TouchPad vs. iPad 2 battle is mostly a battle of Operating Systems. The two are very similar in hardware (see above post). Each may have a little over the other in different categories but for all practical purposes they are the same.

So it would be a battle of the OS. Which wins? (HP people take note)
We all know the many advantages of WebOS so I will spare you the time of stating them over again. These are the parts were I believe WebOS needs to improve and focus on the most. This is in no way a pessimistic post but is focused on what WebOS falters at that iOS exceeds. So what does iOS have over us?

iOS's biggest advantage is its awesome iWork interface that Apple has brought to it recently. It makes it perfect for business people working with alot of Office documents. This is a place were WebOS falters a bit. Yes, Quick Office is bringing its whole suite to WebOS at the launch of the new devices but they still aren't what iWork is. HPalm needs to get its own Office Suite developed (by QuickOffice or itself) that will match that of iWork.

Another thing iOS has up it's sleeve is the way is handles apps. It is a single center OS that works to run a single app at a time. This is a downfall of the OS but it does have its advantages. Because of this iOS is able to runner smoother than WebOS in the same conditions. HPalm has to work twice as hard to optimize it's devices than Apple does because they choose to take on the harder mission. The iPad 2 has a slower processor but runs smoother because it is only running an app drawer, music player, and a single app.

Lastly, the iPad has its own Media ecosystem that has been around for a long time and has the number one media store available. Because of this, the media system is second nature for a user and is so easily used. The TouchPad has no such ecosystem. However, it is great news to hear that HP is planning on releasing it will its MovieStore which is a great step towards this. A big point they need to be able to do with the store is that they need to make sure that once a person buys the movie, they can still download it and watch it on their computer **"Whether or not they have an HP computer or not"**

If you read this whole gigantic post.... Thanks! Please tell me you responses to my points.

Last edited by Rennat; 04/17/2011 at 04:48 PM.
Thanked by ilovedessert, iverieli, ksht
Old 04/17/2011, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
News Hound

Dear Rennat,

Thank you for all of your info and hard work in putting it together...I myself cannot wait to get my Pre3 however I truly don't see the need for the TouchPad for me. The only reason that I may get one is for my Mom.

Although I bought my Mom a laptop, she fines it overwhelming for her to use, (she is 87 and not computer literate), she reads two physical newspapers a day and everything that I think will be of interest to her, I print up as well...so they "pad" idea might work for her, b/c it is so much easier to use than a laptop.

Take care and thank you once again,

Jay
Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Thanked By: Rennat
Old 04/17/2011, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post

What I see in the TouchPad vs. iPad 2 battle is mostly a battle of Operating Systems. The two are very similar in hardware (see above post). Each may have a little over the other in different categories but for all practical purposes they are the same.

We all know the many advantages of WebOS so I will spare you the time of stating them over again. These are the parts were I believe WebOS needs to improve and focus on the most. This is in no way a pessimistic post but is focused on what WebOS falters at that iOS exceeds. So what does iOS have over us?

iOS's biggest advantage is its awesome iWork interface that Apple has brought to it recently. It makes it perfect for business people working with alot of Office documents. This is a place were WebOS falters a bit. Yes, Quick Office is bringing its whole suite to WebOS at the launch of the new devices but they still aren't what iWork is. HPalm needs to get its own Office Suite developed (by QuickOffice or itself) that will match that of iWork.

Another thing iOS has up it's sleeve is the way is handles apps. It is a single center OS that works to run a single app at a time. This is a downfall of the OS but it does have its advantages. Because of this iOS is able to runner smoother than WebOS in the same conditions. HPalm has to work twice as hard to optimize it's devices than Apple does because they choose to take on the harder mission. The iPad 2 has a slower processor but runs smoother because it is only running an app drawer, music player, and a single app.

Lastly, the iPad has its own Media ecosystem that has been around for a long time and has the number one media store available. Because of this, the media system is second nature for a user and is so easily used. The TouchPad has no such ecosystem. However, it is great news to hear that HP is planning on releasing it will its MovieStore which is a great step towards this. A big point they need to be able to do with the store is that they need to make sure that once a person buys the movie, they can still download it and watch it on their computer **"Whether or not they have an HP computer or not"**

If you read this whole gigantic post.... Thanks! Please tell me you responses to my points.
I would rather see Office then iWork on a HP tab it's the most used platform and superior in many ways.
Mr Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome Rennat. You made some nice points - specially with the way iOS handles single app at a time thus offers smoother experience.
More than anything, if you ask me, the biggest advantage iOS has more than any other brands is the fanbase. That includes media. No doubt Apple products are solid, gives you a great feeling when you hold their devices (I currently own iPhone 3GS - waiting for pre3) but media amplifies the goodness.
ksht is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Rennat, RoverNole
Old 04/17/2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
I would rather see Office then iWork on a HP tab it's the most used platform and superior in many ways.
What is the difference when both support the DOC format? I don't care what document suite is available so long as it's tailored specifically for the the platform at hand and works well.
barkerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for Office on webOS. Microsoft isn't about to encourage
Windows notebook and netbook users to switch to webOS, especially since HP acquired it in order to dump Windows from their tablets.
Not sure. For MS, its a licensed product. So it makes business sense to sell office suite. Besides, HP opted for bing over google. I wouldnt be surprised if office finds its way to touchpad. also, HP is focussing on enterprise market. So adding complete office suite only adds to their strength. just my 2 cents
ksht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

nice summary. i'd like to add that the Touchpad has an IPS display with gorilla glass and the vk has a numbers row.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2011, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
News Hound

Hi all,

I don't know about the Ipad, but I did just find out that the TouchPad, "battery which is said to provide almost 10 hours of use". According to the following article, (link provided):

Countdown To The HP Touchpad: Ready For The Competition

By Kyle Young on April 17, 2011, 1:38 pm

Countdown To The HP Touchpad: Ready For The Competition

Take care all,

Jay
Old 04/17/2011, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

FYI: there's a thread for touchpad vs ipad 2

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...acer-asus.html

you may find useful information there.
9thWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ilovedessert, Rennat
Old 04/17/2011, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
Dear Rennat,

Thank you for all of your info and hard work in putting it together...I myself cannot wait to get my Pre3 however I truly don't see the need for the TouchPad for me. The only reason that I may get one is for my Mom.

Although I bought my Mom a laptop, she fines it overwhelming for her to use, (she is 87 and not computer literate), she reads two physical newspapers a day and everything that I think will be of interest to her, I print up as well...so they "pad" idea might work for her, b/c it is so much easier to use than a laptop.

Take care and thank you once again,

Jay
Your Welcome! This is why I love this community!
Thanked By: ilovedessert
Old 04/17/2011, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
lol, I see iWork as the iPad Office suite. It is still the best mobile suite out there as it brings all the templates and usability from desktop versions to the mobile devices. That is why I said that HP or QuickOffice need to step up their game and make a true Office suite that will bring full usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for Office on webOS. Microsoft isn't about to encourage
Windows notebook and netbook users to switch to webOS, especially since HP acquired it in order to dump Windows from their tablets.
I'm not looking for a Microsoft official version. They just need a QuickOffice app that is a true office editing tool that is gear for prime time Corporate use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare View Post
nice summary. i'd like to add that the Touchpad has an IPS display with gorilla glass and the vk has a numbers row.
Done!

Last edited by Rennat; 04/17/2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04/17/2011, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksht View Post
Awesome Rennat. You made some nice points - specially with the way iOS handles single app at a time thus offers smoother experience.
More than anything, if you ask me, the biggest advantage iOS has more than any other brands is the fanbase. That includes media. No doubt Apple products are solid, gives you a great feeling when you hold their devices (I currently own iPhone 3GS - waiting for pre3) but media amplifies the goodness.
Very true, half of what makes Apple products what they are (not saying they aren't great devices) is the hype they get which hugely amplifies them and gets the word out. It reminds me about when the first iPhone came out. For 3 months there were conversations among everyone about this great new awesome i-Product!
Old 04/17/2011, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
News Hound

Quote:
Your Welcome! This is why I love this community!
Me too! take care, Jay
Old 04/17/2011, 11:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
lol, I see iWork as the iPad Office suite. It is still the best mobile suite out there as it brings all the templates and usability from desktop versions to the mobile devices. That is why I said that HP or QuickOffice need to step up their game and make a true Office suite that will bring full usability.

I'm not looking for a Microsoft official version. They just need a QuickOffice app that is a true office editing tool that is gear for prime time Corporate use.

Done!
Well QuickOffice was quite good on PalmOS. I also had DTG Pro but with each upgrade (aside from not being free ) they got more and more bloated and much slower and inefficient. I used to type out SOW's, invoices, and contracts using both QO and DTG from my Treo's and never had an issue. I'm imaging that the QO team will deliver a solid product.

why aren't people buying the verizon iphone4
comscore-android-passes-ios-and-rim-for-u-s-smartphone-subscriber-share/
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/2...-market-share/
ipad-2-think-twice-about-buying/
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2011, 02:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

this is an extremely good analysis of the ipad and IOS. Most people do.nt realize how powerful iwork is compared to quick office. Work is a lighter version of a real office suite. Quick office is merely a basic editor. Fine for phones, but completely lacking from what I've seen on ipad. Webos is stronger in pim areas like the calendar, contacts and messaging though. Hp needs a real office suite...

As far as soingle app vs webos, there has got to be a way to rethink the webos way. What good is live cardws if the system always lags. Maybe only have certain things as live or running in the background Such as websites loading, or downloads or music. Apps that really need to be live. Some apps don't need to be live all the time or at all. These can just be put in a save state just as IOS does or wp7 phone. It'll be nice to see how wp7 does it as they use a very similar card multitasking.

Personally I want Netflix and an awesome browser and I'm ok with switching from an ipad to touchpad. I love work, but I can deal with quick office for now. I like webos far better then IOS. I miss it too
rexalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2011, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
What is the difference when both support the DOC format? I don't care what document suite is available so long as it's tailored specifically for the the platform at hand and works well.
The most important thing is being able to edit and save as an Office file without losing any formatting or other changes. iWork doesn't work reliably in this manner making it pretty useless.

Would you allow people to convert your important Office files to be used in a mobile office suite and then converted back once edited? How confident are you that an Office file that you convert and edit, and then convert back and email is reliable, won't be changed and will be as you intended?

iWork and Office: Can they work together? | Software | Working Mac | Macworld

Even if compatibility issues didn't exist, it's still a PITA just using a mobile office app.

Something like logmein or citrix would be better.

If you have simple needs such as being able to type up a letter to mail to grandma, then you'll be ok.

Bottom line, i wouldn't let this issue make you decide between an ipad or touchpad or other. They all suck in this regard. If i was HP, the last thing I'd be worried about is making my own Office suite that no one has ever heard of and would still have the same problems as the others. Quickoffice should be sufficient for HP's needs outside of MS making a webOS version.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2011, 07:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Guys you comparing TouchPad to iPad2 does not make sense, why do you think the rest of the competition is loosing to iPad2? Look at Moto, HTC, LG and everyone else in the tab market, the biggest reason is the apps, people trust Apple and know the name, know it has tons of apps. What does TouchPad have to offer out of the gate? In hardware there are better tabs on spec then iPad2 but I dont see no line for it. Yesterday I was at BJ's Club and saw tons of Moto tabs and another company, no one buying it. But if you go to any store that carries iPad2 you get the same story " Sold Out ". Hp will follow in with the rest of the other companies. Hp will make tiny dent, but most people wont rush out and buy it. Even some people here already bought iPad2, Hp is good product but still not proven in the market, it has nothing to offer that will make it stick out over the iPad2, no apps, no camera, no nothing just HP empty promises. 99% of people will always choose Apple over HP for now and maybe for many years to come. Even in the biz section no one will run out and buy HP, you will see HP will go quietly in to the night just like all others that have tried and failed. Look at the Moto Xoom it has awesome specs but in the end it is just another pad that no one cares about, 100,000 sold big deal. So what does that say about HP? Only the people in this forum will buy the HP pad and that does not even equal 1/100 of percent in the market share.
joek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2011, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

My comparisons would boil down to apps. There's no such thing as a prosumer tablet. It's all the same hardware.

With the right apps, a tablet makes a good toy. Toysrus knows this.

With the right apps, a tablet makes a good learning device for toddlers/preschoolers. School districts are coming around to this. Studies are showing increased learning for those kids using them.

With the right apps, readers will have a choice of bookstores and book apps to use. Movie watchers will have their choice of streaming/renting services to use.

With the right apps, corporate users will have a device tailored for their job.

All the same hardware. The OS hardly matters. Third party apps is what matters when choosing a tablet.

And so, at this point in time, would you spend 499 and up for HP's third party apps or Apple's? I'd break it up into 3 categories. Education, consumer, business/productivity. Try to look at what apps are available or what you want or need. With HP, you can't really do this as no apps are available for a tablet at this time.

It's still too early to even consider a Touchpad as a competitor. But it's obvious HP would need a lower price plus some other killer advantages while building up third party apps along with its app store. I would hope they focus on those 3 areas I broke up apps for with separate teams dedicated to them.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0