Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The most important thing is being able to edit and save as an Office file without losing any formatting or other changes. iWork doesn't work reliably in this manner making it pretty useless.

Would you allow people to convert your important Office files to be used in a mobile office suite and then converted back once edited? How confident are you that an Office file that you convert and edit, and then convert back and email is reliable, won't be changed and will be as you intended?

iWork and Office: Can they work together? | Software | Working Mac | Macworld

Even if compatibility issues didn't exist, it's still a PITA just using a mobile office app.

Something like logmein or citrix would be better.

If you have simple needs such as being able to type up a letter to mail to grandma, then you'll be ok.

Bottom line, i wouldn't let this issue make you decide between an ipad or touchpad or other. They all suck in this regard. If i was HP, the last thing I'd be worried about is making my own Office suite that no one has ever heard of and would still have the same problems as the others. Quickoffice should be sufficient for HP's needs outside of MS making a webOS version.
    problem with quick office is formatting. It needs margin and spacing support for it to be more useful then a simple notepad.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My comparisons would boil down to apps. There's no such thing as a prosumer tablet. It's all the same hardware.

With the right apps, a tablet makes a good toy. Toysrus knows this.

With the right apps, a tablet makes a good learning device for toddlers/preschoolers. School districts are coming around to this. Studies are showing increased learning for those kids using them.

With the right apps, readers will have a choice of bookstores and book apps to use. Movie watchers will have their choice of streaming/renting services to use.

With the right apps, corporate users will have a device tailored for their job.

All the same hardware. The OS hardly matters. Third party apps is what matters when choosing a tablet.

And so, at this point in time, would you spend 499 and up for HP's third party apps or Apple's? I'd break it up into 3 categories. Education, consumer, business/productivity. Try to look at what apps are available or what you want or need. With HP, you can't really do this as no apps are available for a tablet at this time.

It's still too early to even consider a Touchpad as a competitor. But it's obvious HP would need a lower price plus some other killer advantages while building up third party apps along with its app store. I would hope they focus on those 3 areas I broke up apps for with separate teams dedicated to them.
    I beg to differ. Considering that the Touchpad will come with a browser, Office editing app, Kindle, HP Moviestore, it will have all the apps I need.
    Considering that I will be able to do all this simultaneously, because of the OS, is a plus for me.
    Considering that with Touch-to-share I can transfer whatever I'm doing between the phone and the Touchpad (reading, surfing, whatever), is the biggest plus for the device.
    NNJ
    I may be totally wrong here - but here is my take on what makes a tablet more successful. It's initial presentation. Here are two examples -
    I walk into an apple store. Chances are the iPad is already turned on. I unlock it by sliding and boom - bunch of pre installed apps are ready for me to play with. I have a few games on the homoe page, a netflix/fandango kind of apps a book reader. i scroll to next page and i have few more. i pick and choose which app i want to play with. I can spend just 15 mins in that store and come out totally impressed.
    Tehn i walk into a best buy. This time i walk to get my hands on Xoom. All i have on that is a launcher with a 4-5 of google apps, and a youtube stack of videos and may be a web browser and a photo app. I have nothing else to play with. Since i never had another android device, i dont know how to install a new app. i dont know what to expect. i walk out.(In my experience they didnt even have a xoom on display in BB. I had to ask for it and play with it to see if it really had what i was looking for. I got one from inside after waiting for a few mins.
    my chances of picking up iPad is way more than Xoom in this case as an average consumer. Android may be more powerful in terms of what it can do compared to iOS. but poor presentation failed to inspire me as an "average" guy or gal.

I hope HP borrows this one trick from apple and presents itself to be more appealing. "Love at first sight" is so very true. on all demo models, they need to display load key apps, display exhibition mode, touch to share, true multi tasking, or even play some models with that flight simulator.
    sorry for the long post. but i just hope hp will be successful at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    I may be totally wrong here - but here is my take on what makes a tablet more successful. It's initial presentation. Here are two examples -
    I walk into an apple store. Chances are the iPad is already turned on. I unlock it by sliding and boom - bunch of pre installed apps are ready for me to play with. I have a few games on the homoe page, a netflix/fandango kind of apps a book reader. i scroll to next page and i have few more. i pick and choose which app i want to play with. I can spend just 15 mins in that store and come out totally impressed.
    Tehn i walk into a best buy. This time i walk to get my hands on Xoom. All i have on that is a launcher with a 4-5 of google apps, and a youtube stack of videos and may be a web browser and a photo app. I have nothing else to play with. Since i never had another android device, i dont know how to install a new app. i dont know what to expect. i walk out.(In my experience they didnt even have a xoom on display in BB. I had to ask for it and play with it to see if it really had what i was looking for. I got one from inside after waiting for a few mins.
    my chances of picking up iPad is way more than Xoom in this case as an average consumer. Android may be more powerful in terms of what it can do compared to iOS. but poor presentation failed to inspire me as an "average" guy or gal.

I hope HP borrows this one trick from apple and presents itself to be more appealing. "Love at first sight" is so very true. on all demo models, they need to display load key apps, display exhibition mode, touch to share, true multi tasking, or even play some models with that flight simulator.
    sorry for the long post. but i just hope hp will be successful at this.
    My experience isn't the same, when I went into the Apple Store to look at the "new iPad 2". Yes it had a bunch of app already preloaded. However, I being a consumer picked it up and wanted to play Need for Speed, or something 'really cool' on it. I found no such apps. What I did find are a bunch of ported (to a larger screen) iPhone 2-dimensional apps. It was like putting ketchup on a cake. The fact is that when a average consumer walks in, he/she would want to pick it up and play 'that cool game' his friend has. I did take note though that they did have a bunch of preloaded apps, which is still something that BestBuy won't have on the Xoom.

I really do think that what HP means by their really close ties with BestBuy and other retail stores, is that they will setup a stand like the Apple Stand in the stores or even like the Nintendo 3DS stand that is in my local BestBuy store.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I seem to have to very much influenced by social media because I've thought that iPad 2 blew out all its competitors away.

However, the specs on the Touchpad and the iPad 2 seem virtually the same according to Rennet's post shown above.

iPad to seems a tad bit lighter and sleeker.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaszmark View Post
    I seem to have to very much influenced by social media because I've thought that iPad 2 blew out all its competitors away.

However, the specs on the Touchpad and the iPad 2 seem virtually the same according to Rennet's post shown above.

iPad to seems a tad bit lighter and sleeker.
    Yup, the TouchPad has more power while the iPad has more aesthetics. Jobs does give really great presentations. He really knows how to capture the audience. He could almost make us believe that making a new nano with a smaller screen that can't play video is an upgrade. However, I do seriously oppose many of his philosophies. *Caugh* FLASH *Caugh*

I try not be influenced much my the Media because they hardly ever report the 'whole' truth. The purpose of the media throughout history is for the government to influence the people. If Apple slips CNN a few bucks, the stories will double on the iPad 2. Its just how it works. I have listened to both Jobs and Ruby, and I believe that Ruby has a much strategy for supplying the customers what they want. Jobs is just better at execution so he can pick and choose what he wants to do.
    Last edited by Rennat; 04/19/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    - John Wayne
    I love all this talk about how iPad is "buying their press" when the TouchPad has only the vaguest of release dates -- which might explain the lack of journalists falling all over for it -- and despite the promise of a refreshed WebOS, its software (barring homebrew) has been less than impressive.

I know, I know, its elegant, and innovative, but WebOS is still not done.

I think a lot of the long time WebOS users forget what stock WebOS is like for most people, esp compared to current today's smartphones.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Gee, if thatís all thatís required, then Motorola should have given several bucks to CNN, so they could have quadrupled the stories for the Xoom and they could have sold a few more...

But, something tells me that the media with all itís flaws and biases are not that easy to manipulate. Iím sure one or two them still have journalistic integrity.
    Well, maybe they're not paid directly, but when you consider that they're supplied with lots of iDevices, to the extent that there are now iReporters (smdh), their giving the iPad2 lots of air time might have been a bit biased, not so?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Forgot to mention one feature that I'm particularly excited about:
    I can put my phone down and take all my calls and texts on the Touchpad!
    How cool is that, eh?
    Now I have a single device where I can read my book, have a dictionary at hand, check email, answer phone calls, send text messages, post in this forum, make notes about that book on my mind, watch that flash video, ALL simultaneously! Or I could just watch a movie, while I have all of the above running in the background.
    How cool is that eh?
    Can I do that with the iPad?
    Thanks HP. This all-things-electronic lover is quivering with excitement at the thought of this wonder you are bringing to us.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Forgot to mention one feature that I'm particularly excited about:
    I can put my phone down and take all my calls and texts on the Touchpad!
    How cool is that, eh?
    Now I have a single device where I can read my book, have a dictionary at hand, check email, answer phone calls, send text messages, post in this forum, make notes about that book on my mind, watch that flash video, ALL simultaneously! Or I could just watch a movie, while I have all of the above running in the background.
    How cool is that eh?
    Thanks HP. This all-things-electronic lover is quivering with excitement at the thought of this wonder you are bringing to us.
    You can't do that simultaneously on webOS. You still have to do it one at a time and you have to switch the apps. If touchPad can let you open two or more windows and let you work on it without switching, I will get one, like in windows. Can you watch movie while typing email?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You can't do that simultaneously on webOS. You still have to do it one at a time and you have to switch the apps. If touchPad can let you open two or more windows and let you work on it without switching, I will get one, like in windows. Can you watch movie while typing email?
    Nobody would want to watch a movie and type an email simultaneously...but I did say "running in the background". What happens is that I get an unobtrusive notification while watching the movie that a phone call, or a text message, or an email has arrived! And I can choose to switch, or not, and choose whether or not to pause the movie.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Nobody would want to watch a movie and type an email simultaneously...but I did say "running in the background". What happens is that I get an unobtrusive notification while watching the movie that a phone call, or a text message, or an email has arrived! And I can choose to switch, or not, and choose whether or not to pause the movie.
    Why do I need to run the movie in the background? And you put bold on simultaneous, if you are running app one at a time, it's not simultaneous.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Why do I need to run the movie in the background? And you put bold on simultaneous, if you are running app one at a time, it's not simultaneous.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Wasn't my post stated clearly?
    Let me try again...but first...perhaps the movie was playing a sex scene that I can afford to let me let the movie run in the background. Perhaps I just feel like admiring the way webOS allows me to let the movie run in the background, then come back and just rewind it, perhaps just to listen to the music playing in the movie at the time.

si∑mul∑ta∑ne∑ous/ˌsīməlˈtānēəs/
    Adjective: Occurring, operating, or done at the same time.

Even though I may be concentrating on, or performing a single operation, on a single app, the others continue to run in the background.
    Right now I'm using my laptop, and the exact scenario I'm describing is occurring, except I'm watching IPL cricket on flash video. The only thing is my laptop can't accept phone calls and texts. If it could, I wouldn't need the Touchpad.
    When the Touchpad comes guess how much my laptop is going to get used?

You might ask again, why have those things in the background? I might answer again, because webOS allows it. Or simply because the Touchpad could.
    NNJ
    I guess this is where one has to truly draw a line between a PC and a tablet. I can see some scenarios (may not be a movie, but lets say a web conference) that i dont need to completely pay attention to all slides, and i continue to work on my email or even a game (hehehe) while the dude is talking. When something is interesting, i can put the game on background and swicth to the webinar. But again, people might argue how many times would you join a webinar on a tablet. Thats when a PC is more useful. If tablets (webOS4.0, may be?) can bridge that gap between the two devices!!

Again, not drifting too much from the topic, WebOS is almost half way there. but sadly for IPad, its a long way to go. Perhaps the only app they can run it in the background is music. you may feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
    Iím sure one or two them still have journalistic integrity.
    Agreed.
    - John Wayne
    Windows can't have to windows running at a time because only the one being used currently is actively using you mouse. The I would rather have a nice full screen of info that I can switch back and forth easily than 2 small windows that I don't have to switch between. Just my 2 cents but that is an idea worth mentioning. I can see it being useful in certain situations.
    - John Wayne
    And you put bold on simultaneous, if you are running app one at a time, it's not simultaneous.
    Yes it is. Just because it isn't in the foreground doesn't mean it isn't running. WebOS still runs the apps behind the scene and continues to download or do what ever task it is doing while you are watching a movie or playing a game. iOS just puts it into hibernation and loads it back up when launched.

Example:
    You have just finished your current book you have been reading for the last week and decide to read a recommended book your friend has told you about. You open up the kindle app and proceed to download the lengthy book. However, while you are waiting, you remember you friend also wanted to know the author of the book you were just reading. So you 'just type' you friend's name in and tap SMS to text him. It loads your new card and you proceed to send the name to your friend but, you have forgotten look up the author in the first place! So you launch another kindle card separate from your downloading card , look it up, and copy-paste it right into the SMS box. You go back to you downloading book and it is just finishing. This is the magic of WebOS.
    - John Wayne
    LOL.

So, if Apple is paying off the media, why is no one else doing it?

I just think someone is hating because the media loves Apple and Apple doesnít have to pay them to receive so much free attention.
    lol, I like throughout ideas out there to see people reactions and views. I don't seriously believe that the media are a bunch or bribe run companies. However, I do believe they still don't report on everything. It all boils down to what the watchers want to see. Here is another view that i do believe:

Apple is the 'new, cool thang' in society. They are the main source of regular tech news for normal people. It took Apple a while to earn their own spot in society's world. Some random no name company could come out with a phone that belongs 5 years in the future right now and they still wouldn't be in the news for long. I personally think that the iPhone's biggest advertiser are iPods. iPods are a part of society and it is social to talk about them, so everyone knows when Apple releases a new iPod or iPhone. It isn't Apple that is talked about alot. It is their i-device line. You don't hear alot of "the New iMac" or "the new iTV" in the news. HP will have to earn their spot on the media charts by time and hard work. They already have a sizable spot because they are one of the best (if not The Best) computer manufacturers in the world. Most everybody knows of HP or at least will recognize their logo. Once TouchPads and Pre3's start to circulate around the population they will slowly become more of a recognized company. One great example is HTC because two years ago, HTC had no spot in society and the only people who new of them were the tech people. Now, 1 out of every 3 normal people will know that "HTC fones are cool". They have greatly increased their world recognization, they even noted this in one of their events.
    - John Wayne
    Man I played with an IP-2 today, it was amazing, felt like I was holding a paper, response was superfast, Just fun fun fun all around.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Man I played with an IP-2 today, it was amazing, felt like I was holding a paper, response was superfast, Just fun fun fun all around.
    lol, now just wait for the TouchPad!
    - John Wayne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12