1.    #1  
    So I was poking around on this site TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer which was linked in an email response from HP in regards to my sign-up for TPad launch information.

The page seems updated since last I saw it but I couldn't be sure. They show a trailer for the last Harry Potter movie running in an image of the TPad and comment on watching and downloading movies through their MovieStore. That got me thinking more about this service so off I set to find out more.

The HP MovieStore is an application that HP provides on it's laptops\netbooks, and Mediasmart PCs.

HP MovieStore download page
    HP Pavilion dv6-3200 Entertainment Notebook PC series*-* HP MovieStore powered by RoxioNow Application - HP Business Support Center

The MovieStore is powered by the RoxioNow service (formerly CinemaNow) which provides movie streaming rentals and downloads to various devices. (RoxioNow page RoxioNow) Sonic Solutions owns RoxioNow and has licensing with all the "big dog" studios and last count I found was that they had over 10,000 movies and TV shows available and are adding more constantly. (They were recently purchased by Rovi.)

While I have not been about to see the HP Branded version, here is a link to the Cinema Now page that BestBuy is using (a Sonic Solutions partner) CinemaNow - Online Movies - Download Movies - Rent and Buy Movies Online and you can see another provider using the same engine just rebranded. Movie Downloads - Online Movies - Download DVD Movies - Download TV Shows - Movie Site

EDIT: I did find a help page referencing the CinemaNow Media Manager PC application and a shot of what it looks like. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...n&dlc=en&cc=us

Basically HP just has to port this to WebOS and there you have Video Content at the ready for launch. There's already Amazon mp3 for music (not counting what may happen with Melodeo) and Kindle is already on board along with at least two major magazines so far, so that means there will be much compelling content available to help with the "app issue".

Couple more links:

Engadget on CinemaNow Service change to RoxioNow
    CinemaNow switches to RoxioNow, we just want to watch our movies -- now -- Engadget HD

Rovi buys SonicSolutions, owners of Roxionow
    Rovi announces agreement to acquire Sonic Solutions for $720 million -- Engadget
    10,000 movies and TV shows and more constantly added?! Sweet!

But what about all the people I for some reason care about impressing that will ask if it has Netflix©?

Ooh. Also see [Front Page] http://www.precentral.net/touchpad-i...tore-exclusive
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 04/15/2011 at 04:21 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    10,000 movies and TV shows and more constantly added?! Sweet!

But what about all the people I for some reason care about impressing that will ask if it has Netflix©?

Ooh. Also see [Front Page] TouchPad to include smart-caching cloud-based music syncing, video store [Exclusive] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    No way! So all that time I spent researching on stuff, Derek had the inside scoop all along!

Had I checked the front page sooner, I could have saved myself some time! Ah, well.
    I am excited to hear about the Music Store and Movie Store. Both are steps in the right direction and shows that HP knows what WebOs is born to be: a cloud based solution for everything.
    US only I bet... This geo restriction bull**** has to stop. I would gladly pay monthly for hulu to watch US television but no, you can't. If you want to watch movies and tv series in English you have to buy the DVDs. I really hate the German localisations for most tv series.

Geo restrictions make no sense on the internet. The content mafia is trying to impose 20th century thinking on 21st century technology.
    That's why we from south-east Europe and other geo-restricted places are relaying on content provided by eztv and similar alternative content providers
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    US only I bet... This geo restriction bull**** has to stop. I would gladly pay monthly for hulu to watch US television but no, you can't. If you want to watch movies and tv series in English you have to buy the DVDs. I really hate the German localisations for most tv series.

Geo restrictions make no sense on the internet. The content mafia is trying to impose 20th century thinking on 21st century technology.
    Well to be fair, it works both ways. We cannot watch UK videos here in the US or stream music from Spotify. But you are right, with the internet, there's no point. If they are trying to save bandwidth from out of country users, then they need to increase their infrastructure.
    Being German I am used to seeing "this video is not available in your region" on Youtube. My current residence is the UK so this is like the holy grail for me: Spotify, Youtube, cheap CDs and cheap computer games. Quite often I'm gifting games to friends from Steam. There's no comparison. Some computer games are either censored or not even available in Germany. That's ridiculous, I'm 24 years old ffs.

The content mafia is complaining that they are loosing money due to copyright infringement but what they are not realising is that they are losing money because of their own ignorance.
    I have made a list of 3 things that HP needs to get on board with to succeed.

-Their own Office Suite that is very comparable to iWork
    -Media Syncing solution (like iTunes but for WebOS)
    -On device purchase and rental of Movies and Music

This is a great start to know that there will be a movie rental system on board at or near launch. To add to it, it looks like there is a Media syncing solution being built behind the scenes at HP also. The only thing they got left to swallow any iOS shinning points would be to have a well developed Office Suite that includes templates and such.

Thanks for the post cobrakon!
    Last edited by Rennat; 04/15/2011 at 06:31 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I have made a list of 3 things that HP needs to get on board with to succeed when they TouchPad came out.

-Their own Office Suite that is very comparable to iWork
    -Media Syncing solution (like iTunes but for WebOS)
    -On device purchase and rental of Movies and Music
    Frankly, I hope webOS would never ever have sync abomination like iTunes. There is already few ways to sync content between webOs and desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Frankly, I hope webOS would never ever have sync abomination like iTunes. There is already few ways to sync content between webOs and desktop.
    Understood, I use Doubletwist. But I would still love to have a professional piece of software right from the makers of the devices, that built to run with WebOS because Doubletwist is geared towards android. The media syncing experience isn't intuitive and easy as it could be with WebOS. That is what I like about iTunes (but only that). I want a peice of software that will integrate in cool ways with this new Music Synergy along with the HP MovieStore.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne