1.    #1  
    thinq reporter handled touchpad and spoke to HP reps at recent Gadget Show Live (link below). The most interesting paragraphs concerned what the HP spokespeople said about the apps, excerpted below:

"We'll have loads of apps at launch," claimed Shears*, explaining that the company will be taking a two-tier approach to webOS applications. "We're not going for volume. Instead, we're developing localised premium apps with partners: music, entertainment, social media and games."

Durkin claims that HP isn't scared of the stiff competition the TouchPad faces from the likes of the iPad 2, Acer's recently launched Transformer, and RIM's PlayBook. "There will be competitors," he admitted, "but competition is good. I'm confident of HP's offering. While it will be launched as a consumer product - that's our focus for now - there will be a commercial [enterprise] possibility in the future."

HP: TouchPad faces tough fight after June launch | thinq_

* Shears may be HP UK marketing head
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That means they sat down and came up with a list of apps that they wanted to have available at launch and most likely paid to have them developed.
    Thanks, sounds good and the local markets angle sounds interesting also. I'm wondering why the initial focus on consumer vs enterprise:
    Are they missing functionality or do they need consumer traction in order to get channel partners on board? Probably the former would be more key.

Note: Leo A also told Fortune this week, when interviewer talked about enterprise, that HP is aiming for consumer as well as enterprise.

I hope the apps are good.
    My favorite part of the article:

Officially, the TouchPad doesn't have a launch date beyond "summer" - but a loose-lipped spokesperson, who shall remain nameless, told us that we can expect the device to hit shelves in June, before being shushed by HP's PRPRPR $representatives$.
    So June it is! I'm hoping June 6th along with the Pre 3 to celebrate the original launch of the Pre, That would be awesome!
    I'm sure he meant the ASUS Transformer (not acer). I kind of wish HP went this combo route. Maybe the laptop division will go this route with a combo netbook/tablet webos device.
  5.    #5  
    Listening to Kerris interview today on webosroundup.com
    Sounds like the apps available at launch will be functional and innovative but not the top names as HP does not want to "pay to port."

Sounds like they did some internal analysis and decided that the large developers would come on their own once the 100 million pcs are out with webOS installed and in tme meantime they seed the small developers with loan of an HP webOS engineer, if the top names do not come, I suppose they can pay at that point.

I hope that it will not be too late.

Cool that they are supporting the little guy with the webos developer events and possibility of loaner staff.
    Last edited by bluenote; 04/25/2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Listening to Kerris interview today on webosroundup.com
    Sounds like the apps available at launch will be functional and innovative but not the top names as HP does not want to "pay to port."

Sounds like they did some internal analysis and decided that the large developers would come on their own once the 100 million pcs are out with webOS installed and in tme meantime they seed the small developers with loan of an HP webOS engineer, if the top names do not come, I suppose they can pay at that point.

I hope that it will not be too late.

Cool that they are supporting the little guy with the webos developer events and possibility of loaner staff.
    too late?

this market is still just getting started, even the smartphone market. Again, HP isn't in this for short term gratification. they are in it for 5+ years down the road, a platform that will be more widely available than any other due to webOS's web nature.
    This is my take...the big conference in June with LEO will be the launching point. He will announce the HP TOUCHPAD and Pre3 plus the companies that will carry them.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    too late?
    Looking at Pre, Xoom, Playbook etc the market seems to showing that there is a certain momentum being built from initial launch which tends to feed on itself, whether positive or negative. The market is not being so forgiving of slow rampup and it seems tough to change opinions of carrier salespeople etc. The purchase of Palm by HP has seemed to reset the clock for webOS, they have some good initial response but if they can't capitalize with the initial products, it could be tough for them to recover.